i'm watching this press conf now on gdgt and Steve totally just called out other manufacturers saying their signals did the same thing when you hold it...i'm calling BS
    I'm able to duplicate the signal loss on my 9700. (no big deal)

I owned the i4 for 6 days and was not able to duplicate it. (returned it for other reasons)
    07-16-10 08:31 PM
    no big deal
    Key words of this whole thread, NO BIG DEAL. Bars, bars, bars. Do you drop a call? THAT'S whats important, bars and this attenuation mean nadda if not.

I can replicate it on both an ATT 9700 and ATT 3GS. But of course if someone doesnt experience it on their BB it never happened Well it works both ways, not all iphone 4 users are seeing it either.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 07-16-10 at 09:02 PM.
    07-16-10 08:59 PM
    Lol, the iPhone is no worse for drop calls then a BB, or any other phone. I have a BB that drops calls all the time. Why argue a point that doesnt matter. Every phone has issues, its not just the iPhone and its not just a BB. And how is it not clear that the iPhone 4 really isnt as bad for the majority of users that media and people seem to make it. Have you played around with the iPhone 4? I have and I tried the grip of death and the phone I used dropped to 3 bars. I would say that is pretty damn good for holding the phone the wrong way.
    You drop calls because you're on AT&T. As long as the iPhone is wedded to AT&T it will drop calls, whatever the antenna design. The new one only seems to be more inconsistent than previous iPhones, and Apple's stated design goal was to increase reception on AT&T's congested network.

Other phones can be used on other carriers without dropped calls or antenna issues. In total, the iPhone's continuing reception problems are a big deal if you think using a phone is important.
    07-16-10 09:09 PM
    Shocker, more non-iphone users nor have used one for any extensive period of time telling iphone users how their device cant be used as a phone

I guess youd let your doctor perform a procedure on you after watching it on an episode of ER too If you dont know, dont try to know unless you just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night
    Last edited by stuaw11; 07-16-10 at 09:27 PM.
    07-16-10 09:24 PM
    You drop calls because you're on AT&T. As long as the iPhone is wedded to AT&T it will drop calls, whatever the antenna design. The new one only seems to be more inconsistent than previous iPhones, and Apple's stated design goal was to increase reception on AT&T's congested network.

Other phones can be used on other carriers without dropped calls or antenna issues. In total, the iPhone's continuing reception problems are a big deal if you think using a phone is important.
    Ding Ding Ding...exactly. Dont argue that the iPhone is so horrible because of this apparent design flaw that very few out of the many have actually had issues with. Its obvious that all phones have issues with signal loss, as has been said by people on this very forum. Its not just an iPhone issue, it is only over stated because of it being Apple and Steve Jobs arrogance.

Many people are not having reception issues, and the ones that are it sounds as though it isnt terrible. Of course you will have the few that really do have the issues that have been blown out of proportion by the media. Those people should return the phone for a different one. I would love to get the iPhone 4 if I could afford it, so playing with it in the store is my only experience but like I said, I personally could not get the phone to drop as bad as has been reported.
    Last edited by flashman03; 07-16-10 at 09:30 PM.
    07-16-10 09:27 PM
    Is it me or did the 9700 dropped bars faster than the iPhone? When they did the test on the 9700, I was shocked when I saw it go from 5 bars to 1 bars in about 5 seconds. I was so curious that I grabbed my TMO 9700 to see if I can make it drop to 1 bar but no success. I grabbed it different ways and nothing. I live in an area where I get great 3G service. Even at work on EDGE, it doesn't drop that dramatically but I do notice it fluctuates between 2 or 3 bars inside a 200,000+ square feet building. Could this be an AT&T network issue?
    07-16-10 09:30 PM
    In total, the iPhone's continuing reception problems are a big deal if you think using a phone is important.
    I use my phone to the tune of about 5000-6000 minutes per month. I drop calls everyday. Although I may use the phone more than most, I'm probably like a lot of other iPhone users concerning dropped calls, I just deal with. It's not like it's that difficult to just dial someone back, takes all of 2 seconds. Although dropped calls are annoying, all the other things that iPhone does makes it worthwhile.
    07-16-10 10:05 PM
    I use my phone to the tune of about 5000-6000 minutes per month. I drop calls everyday. Although I may use the phone more than most, I'm probably like a lot of other iPhone users concerning dropped calls, I just deal with. It's not like it's that difficult to just dial someone back, takes all of 2 seconds. Although dropped calls are annoying, all the other things that iPhone does makes it worthwhile.
    Thank you. That's something reasonable people can disagree on.

Personally I would be concerned about whether I was reachable and whether my text messages were received, things that are not verifiable, unlike simply being able to redial after a dropped call.

On the other hand, you might require some apps or services that are only accessible on the iPhone so it's worth it to you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-10 10:29 PM
    Yeh Im sick of the whiners online. Here's youre 100%, true, realistic options joking aside:

1) dont buy the phone

2) if you did, return it for a 100% refund

3) get the bumper/case FREE if you have the issue

There's 3 real life opitions here. Whining and crying on here wont solve the problem if you have one, so do something for yourself here about it if its so bad. But so far people would rather keep the phones and whine about it then be proactive about it.

I think the funniest thing about the antenna ordeal is how low the return rate it and how high the whining rate is.

Couple of general observations:

First off, a true "whiner" is annoying, regardless of the nature of the whining. So, if you continue to whine about the whining of others, then you're the pot, calling the kettle black.

Secondly, these topics always seem to bring the worst out in people...on BOTH sides.

If a person "bashes" Apple, what on earth does that have to do with....you? Why does it upset you so? That's what I don't get.

There has been so much talk of how folks are "stupid" and "whiners", etc (in the multitude of threads on this topic). But the truth is (and this is a GENERAL statement), folks who love to question the intelligence of others often fail to notice that their own "dimmer switches" aren't working.

What do I mean by that? The same logic that causes someone to reach the conclusion that people can return something they don't like, instead of whine about it, is the same logic that should cause someone to reach another, just as important conclusion: If you hate whining/complaining, don't be a source of it. You can choose to ignore that which annoys you. That's perfectly logical...and if you don't take the advice you give, then your advice is not credible. But constantly complaining about something YOU have no control over (the dialogue of others) is interesting, and makes your fervent protests much less compelling.

A broken record is still a...broken record, regardless of who "plays" it.

Apple has said what they will do to satisfy those of us who were waiting for an acceptable solution, before deciding to return/keep the phone. The public now has more information to help them reach a decision to either keep the phone, or return it.
    Last edited by Tlynnsmith; 07-16-10 at 10:34 PM.
    07-16-10 10:29 PM
    Excellent post Tlynnsmith

07-16-10 10:36 PM
    Hey man , good to see yah , im pretty sure their only option is to say , its an issue , and we can go to our local apple or att stores and pick up or free bumpers .. simple as that lol .
    So.... i guess i win ?
    07-16-10 10:50 PM
    "Apple's attempt to draw RIM into Apple's self-made debacle is unacceptable. Apple's claims about RIM products appear to be deliberate attempts to distort the public's understanding of an antenna design issue and to deflect attention from Apple's difficult situation. RIM is a global leader in antenna design and has been successfully designing industry-leading wireless data products with efficient and effective radio performance for over 20 years. During that time, RIM has avoided designs like the one Apple used in the iPhone 4 and instead has used innovative designs which reduce the risk for dropped calls, especially in areas of lower coverage. One thing is for certain, RIM's customers don't need to use a case for their BlackBerry smartphone to maintain proper connectivity. Apple clearly made certain design decisions and it should take responsibility for these decisions rather than trying to draw RIM and others into a situation that relates specifically to Apple."

- Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie

RIM FTMFW
    07-16-10 10:59 PM
    Personally I would be concerned about whether I was reachable and whether my text messages were received, things that are not verifiable, unlike simply being able to redial after a dropped call.
    Well, I don't know if I was ever unreachable, nobody's ever told me they called me and I didn't see something in the call log. I guess I could try calling myself a couple hundred times to see if it ever happens, but I don't think I'll do that.

I do occasionally get delayed text messages, but all of them have been from foreign countries, and it also used to happen on my BB, so I think that's a carrier issue.
    07-16-10 11:11 PM
    Interesting 5 month old video about the Nexus One. Maybe Steve should've played this during his press conference.

!
    07-17-10 04:12 AM
    relax, they are wrong..let them fix it and life moves...!
    07-17-10 04:43 AM
    You drop calls because you're on AT&T. [...] Other phones can be used on other carriers without dropped calls or antenna issues.
    Thats funny. At my home office I drop calls all the time on my Sprint blackberry. Verizon doesn't even get signal unless I go outside. AT&T Blackberries and iphones work fine even in the basement. No drops.

However, It'd be foolish to make blanket statements about any carrier. Ones experience depends on many factors, not the least of which is the particular location in relation to various cell towers.
    07-17-10 09:03 AM
    I'm able to duplicate the signal loss on my 9700. (no big deal)

I owned the i4 for 6 days and was not able to duplicate it. (returned it for other reasons)
    Now this is a responsible consumer, if you don't like it or doesn't work for you for any reason RETURN it.
    07-17-10 09:21 AM
    Interesting 5 month old video about the Nexus One. Maybe Steve should've played this during his press conference.

!
    Roo, the only problem with that is Google is not selling a MILLION Nexus phones A WEEK so NO ONE CARES, LMAO!
    07-17-10 09:28 AM
    Yea they will what do you think happens when they sale you a phone?? It is a success for them. What you think apple is a none profit organization?? Every sale they make is success for them so if you buy a product from them and whine about and not return it would it be a successful sale??? YES. But if you do return would that show to apple that you were not satisfied?? Yes

So please READ good before you reply... And don't let your FanBoy love blind you bro.

Dude, SO IF YOU RETURN your iPhone 4 is it a success for Apple? LMMFAO.. It's a simple question. READ, it is as plain of English as it gets!
    07-17-10 09:32 AM
    Bro you have serious issues. NO IT IS NOT a success for apple and if you take the time to read my first post that you commended on it's exactly what I said.
    -keep the phone and whine= success to apple
    - return the phone= no success for apple and see the dissatisfaction for that product.

What is wrong with you?

Dude, SO IF YOU RETURN your iPhone 4 is it a success for Apple? LMMFAO.. It's a simple question. READ, it is as plain of English as it gets!
    07-17-10 10:23 AM
    "Apple's attempt to draw RIM into Apple's self-made debacle is unacceptable. Apple's claims about RIM products appear to be deliberate attempts to distort the public's understanding of an antenna design issue and to deflect attention from Apple's difficult situation. RIM is a global leader in antenna design and has been successfully designing industry-leading wireless data products with efficient and effective radio performance for over 20 years. During that time, RIM has avoided designs like the one Apple used in the iPhone 4 and instead has used innovative designs which reduce the risk for dropped calls, especially in areas of lower coverage. One thing is for certain, RIM's customers don't need to use a case for their BlackBerry smartphone to maintain proper connectivity. Apple clearly made certain design decisions and it should take responsibility for these decisions rather than trying to draw RIM and others into a situation that relates specifically to Apple."

- Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie

RIM FTMFW
    There are times when I think Steve Jobs isn't really that great a PR guy. Then he comes along and shows a couple videos and pretty much through smoke and mirrors gets RIM, Motorola, and Nokia to issue comments. Good Lord people, don't you see what's happened? The blogosphere and news pundits are now all talking about free bumpers and how RIM, Moto, and Nokia responded. With an hour long press conference, he's pretty killed the story in one fell swoop and made people start talking about other companies. How many sites have commented on the videos he showed? Only every tech site in the known universe. This was Steve Job's plan all along, put everybody else in the same boat in the minds of the general public. Now when you think smartphone, you can't help but think about those other videos and the defensive comments released by the other companies. There really is a reality distortion field around that guy.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 07-17-10 at 11:00 AM.
    07-17-10 10:50 AM
    Unfortunately for the Apple haters out there other phones DO exhibit similar behavior. Maybe not as visible because of the algorithm Apple used and then changed, but it still exists.

There are lots of posts on various sites of people with 9700's, HTC devices, etc who tried it and are able to replicate it. Again, maybe not as much loss in terms of "bars" but every manufacturer uses a different algorithm so its not an apples to apples comparison per say. BUT the behavior DOES exist outside the iphone.

Now, before you posts "but but my BB doesnt do that, BB FTW!" consider that not all iphone 4's are showing the behavior as well, just like not all HTC's or BB's etc. It will depends on your coverage area, etc. It really depends what dB youre sitting at and the algorithm of how the bars are displayed- the dB cutoff range for each bar displayed

If you cant admit other people can replicate this on other types of phones then you are too blinded by your fanaticism of your own device to see the reality. Could Apple have handled it better? Sure of course. BUT I think a free case is quite a good gesture by a company who sold 3 million in about 3 weeks, and still have huge waiting lists and didnt really HAVE to offer anything as sales are still going strong and returns are still extremely low.

I personally think Jobs was ok in pointing out other phones doing it. People are ripping the iphone 4 like its the only phone ever to see this kind of behavior and the uneducated people about tech simply believe the media at face value who simply regurgitate each others story. If you dont think businesses point out each other's flaws, then you havent been around much or know much about marketing/advertising because you see it daily.

I find RIM's response a little absurd when there are TONS of reports of being able to replicate this, at least on the new Bold series (Can you make your current phone lose signal depending on how you hold it? � Boy Genius Report as one example). Search youtube and the web and youll see plenty of undeniable video evidence of such. Global leading antenna design my ****, it exhibits the SAME behavior and people can in fact show it very clearly. People just didnt notice or care before until something as huge and popular as the iphone got into the media showing it and everyone started checking their phones feverishly.

I think people need to get a grip (no pun intended) and use the phone they choose to use and stop the childish bickering over this antenna thing. If you like the phone go use it and take the free case, if you dont return it and get something else. But dont expect other phones cant possibly exhibit similar behavior.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 07-17-10 at 11:10 AM.
    07-17-10 10:56 AM
    There is a difference between holding your phone normally in one spot and seeing the signal drop and trying to duplicate this signal drop by squeezing the life out of your phone. I played with a couple iphone 4 devices. They are beautiful and perform many things well. They also have a design flaw with their antenna that other phones do not have.

07-17-10 11:50 AM
    There are times when I think Steve Jobs isn't really that great a PR guy. Then he comes along and shows a couple videos and pretty much through smoke and mirrors gets RIM, Motorola, and Nokia to issue comments. Good Lord people, don't you see what's happened? The blogosphere and news pundits are now all talking about free bumpers and how RIM, Moto, and Nokia responded. With an hour long press conference, he's pretty killed the story in one fell swoop and made people start talking about other companies. How many sites have commented on the videos he showed? Only every tech site in the known universe. This was Steve Job's plan all along, put everybody else in the same boat in the minds of the general public. Now when you think smartphone, you can't help but think about those other videos and the defensive comments released by the other companies. There really is a reality distortion field around that guy.
    Agreed. Steve just flipped the switch on everyone else, and now anyone who saw or read about the conference might think differently before buying any smartphone. The man can make you believe anything. Good thing his effect doesn't work on me, but for the masses, it does.
    07-17-10 12:08 PM
    i really think this entire thing has been blown out of perspective. I can do the signal drop on every phone i own. is it an issue , yes, is it an issue with most phone i have owned , yes, does it REALLY effect the performance of the phone , not one little bit. Obviously people love this phone , i love this phone , im in no way a fanboy , im a phone lover of all trades, i say , get your FREE bumper , and keep loving your phone.
    07-17-10 12:11 PM
186 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD