08-22-13 09:33 AM
    Thanks for the heads up!
    08-22-13 09:35 AM
    08-22-13 10:53 AM
    Qbnkelt wrote,

"A number of Apple services were temporarily offline for some users this morning, including iMessage and a number of iCloud features.

Apple's support page reported an "Issue" with five of its approximately three dozen services around 12:30 a.m. Eastern.

Some users were locked out of iCloud Documents, Photo Stream, iPhoto Journals, or Backup & Restore; the iMessage application also experienced problems sending or downloading attachments.

Less than 1 percent of users were affected by the outage, though, as AppleInsider pointed out, that number could actually be in the millions, since iCloud now has more than 300 million members.

By noon Eastern, Apple's support page was reporting normal service for all of its products. Cupertino also had to contend with an hour-long iTunes issue that prevented users from making purchases. Additionally, a late-Wednesday glitch meant some people could not create a new Apple ID.

Apple iOS 7: The Most Exciting Features VIEW ALL PHOTOS IN GALLERY A similar outage hit iCloud users in February, when all services — including mail, contacts, calendar, photo stream, and backup — were rendered unavailable for about 11 percent of users, or 25 million people.

Trouble struck again in June, knocking one-fifth of the service's users offline for more than an hour.

Those frustrated with consistent iCloud outages may take reprieve in the new version expected next month as part of the iOS 7 update. For more, see PCMag's Hands On With iCloud 2013 Beta, as well as the Apple iOS 7: The Most Exciting Features slideshow above.
    "

When iMessage goes down the message goes as a regular text. Additionally, any iCloud documents that I've got I've also got backed up.

I didn not return my BlackBerry when there was the four day outage in 2011, I stopped using my 9900 after it bricked on me on the train on the way home.

I am not returning the iPhone based on the outages listed in the article.
    08-22-13 11:54 AM
    When iMessage goes down the message goes as a regular text.
    Q, in the case of such an outage, does iMessage notify the user it will be switching to SMS-only?
    08-22-13 11:56 AM
    The colour of the name of the person you're sending to will change on the screen. Green for iMessage, blue for regular SMS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    08-22-13 12:03 PM
    The colour of the name of the person you're sending to will change on the screen. Green for iMessage, blue for regular SMS.
    Is this color scheme explained any time during set up?
    08-22-13 12:11 PM
    When you enable iMessage, there is a link explaining it:

08-22-13 12:34 PM
    I may have gotten my colours reversed, blue for iMessage, green for SMS. It is mentioned in the owners manual, and I believe it actually says iMessage in the text entry field.

raino likes this.
    08-22-13 12:36 PM
    Don't iPhone plans offer unlimited testing?
    08-22-13 12:38 PM
    I may have gotten my colours reversed, blue for iMessage, green for SMS. It is mentioned in the owners manual, and I believe it actually says iMessage in the text entry field.

Correct. It can be seen in the picture above, except tapatalk decided to reduce it to microscopic proportions.
    08-22-13 12:39 PM
    So, during an outage, will the whole thread have changed to the SMS color, thereby telling the user that it's an SMS conversation now (and revert to the iMessage color when the outage is over?)

Edit: I see that the Send button also has different colors when using SMS vs. iMessage, but the name of the person in Mike's screenshot is colorless.
    08-22-13 12:44 PM
    Don't iPhone plans offer unlimited testing?
    What's an iPhone plan?
    08-22-13 12:45 PM
    So, during an outage, will the whole thread have changed to the SMS color, thereby telling the user that it's an SMS conversation now (and revert to the iMessage color when the outage is over?)
    The messages reflect whatever service was used to send them. When the conversation changes to text from iMessage or vice versa, a divider goes across the message thread and says either iMessage or text message, depending on what the current conversation is happening over.
    08-22-13 12:54 PM
    The messages reflect whatever service was used to send them. When the conversation changes to text from iMessage or vice versa, a divider goes across the message thread and says either iMessage or text message, depending on what the current conversation is happening over.
    But is there a way of knowing before you are about to send a message? It could get pretty expensive if you're messaging contacts overseas...
    08-22-13 01:05 PM
    But is there a way of knowing before you are about to send a message? It could get pretty expensive if you're messaging contacts overseas...
    You can turn off the send as text if iMessage is down, though.

I wouldn't have even known if I hadn't seen it on iMore. Texts still work. Browser still works. Email still coming in. It's not like the old BIS outages.

Tippy tapped from my iPhone 5, from me to you.
    08-22-13 01:08 PM
    Yes, did you read what Blackberry Guy stated, and I confirmed? The text entry field lets you know what method you will be using to send the message.
    08-22-13 01:10 PM
    Yes, did you read what Blackberry Guy stated, and I confirmed? The text entry field lets you know what method you will be using to send the message.
    Aha! I see it now, in the image your provided. It says 'text message' in the green bubbled thread's entry field ('text' is just covered up.)
    08-22-13 01:17 PM
    Aha! I see it now, in the image your provided. It says 'text message' in the green bubbled thread's entry field ('text' is just covered up.)
    Haha, I'm surprised you can see anything in that tiny image, but yes, "text" is just covered up by the second phone. There's also the colour of the send button that signifies what type of message will be sent.
    08-22-13 01:20 PM
    There was an outage?
    08-22-13 01:21 PM
    Q, in the case of such an outage, does iMessage notify the user it will be switching to SMS-only?
    There is no notification. It happens seamlessly.

The user is aware due to the change I'm colours, green for text vs blue for iMessage.

Edit: Dang should have read ahead. This was answered. Sorry!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    08-22-13 03:21 PM
    You can turn off the send as text if iMessage is down, though.

I wouldn't have even known if I hadn't seen it on iMore. Texts still work. Browser still works. Email still coming in. It's not like the old BIS outages.

Tippy tapped from my iPhone 5, from me to you.
    That's the main difference and why an iMessage outage is not as impactful. I had no idea there was an outage. Mail continued, browser, messages...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    reeneebob and xandermac like this.
    08-22-13 03:30 PM