Here's are summaries of Apple's iCloud announcement a few minutes ago...

iCloud unveiled at WWDC, free for all 9 cloud apps, MobileMe RIP -- Engadget

Mac Rumors : Live Coverage - Worldwide Developers Conference 2011

I was pretty much right in my initial predictions:

PlayBook Geek: The Apple iCloud

I even got the death of Mobile Me right
    06-06-11 02:14 PM
    Do I understand correctly that everything you do is automatically synced to the cloud?
    Everything I've read on the iOS articles up to now use the word "automatically" many times. App data, docs, pics, music, etc, straight to the cloud.

In a low-class but adequate phrase: "F that!"
    I like having my data stored locally as I create it, and I don't want my entire existence in the cloud.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-07-11 12:11 AM
    BitPusher2600 - think about it, you use email don't you? If yes, you're already virtually in the cloud.

Does that make sense? Do you use apps like Dropbox and Evernote? If yes, again, you're already in the cloud...
    06-07-11 07:23 AM
    Email is the only cloud thing I know of in terms of any data being stored. I know my music, videos and photos are still private

06-07-11 07:57 AM
    I suspect Apple ties OS-level update events to sync'ing operations. In other words: changing a file locally causes a sync operation to start more or less automatically.

This is not new. As some have already mentioned, Apple has borrowed ideas from DropBox, Evernnote, Palm - and even Tivoli. Either way, iCloud is more of an automated backup function rather than sync function. Everything you touch gets backed-up to the cloud. Since all devices share these 'backups', you get a form of synchronization.

The important thing to note for tablet users: the lines are now blurred between tablets, notebooks and desktops. Content 'exists' seamlessly between them. 'Copying files' is now deprecated.

Time for RIM to stake a claim with their BES infrastructure before it is too late.
    06-07-11 08:00 AM
    ...ah, yes, good point.

I take it you don't want the world to know that you listen to Britney Spears? LOL - just kidding.

But, I do understand...

Email is the only cloud thing I know of in terms of any data being stored. I know my music, videos and photos are still private

06-07-11 09:27 AM
    ...ah, yes, good point.

I take it you don't want the world to know that you listen to Britney Spears? LOL - just kidding.

But, I do understand...
    That's better than Google Music. They want you to actually upload all your music to their servers. With iCloud it just makes sure that all your devices with the same Apple ID have access to the same content. So if I download a song on my phone, it won't automatically appear on my computer. Just the fact that I have downloaded it will giving me the option to then put it on the computer. I actually love this idea because I was sick and tired of trying to reconcile my music collection. And it's particularly painful when changing computers.
    06-07-11 09:34 AM
    Ditto! I'm looking forward to this. Most annoying trying to keep up with what's on my iPhone, iPad and computer...

That's better than Google Music. They want you to actually upload all your music to their servers. With iCloud it just makes sure that all your devices with the same Apple ID have access to the same content. So if I download a song on my phone, it won't automatically appear on my computer. Just the fact that I have downloaded it will giving me the option to then put it on the computer. I actually love this idea because I was sick and tired of trying to reconcile my music collection. And it's particularly painful when changing computers.
    06-07-11 09:44 AM
    Has anyone forgot about SkyDrive? Microsoft is currently servicing over 500 million customers with Xbox Live, Skydrive, Hotmail and Messenger

Nothing new...
    06-07-11 04:46 PM
    Any examples other than that camera, keeping in mind that both cameras in the iPad 2 are limited by the device's overall thickness?

They use foxxcon... that alone says it all. GARBAGE
    06-07-11 04:47 PM
    Sure don't want them to find my pirated Justin Beiber collection!....
    Damn even that joke made me feel a little...ill. I hope my 'berry will forgive me.

06-07-11 04:54 PM
    Has anyone forgot about SkyDrive? Microsoft is currently servicing over 500 million customers with Xbox Live, Skydrive, Hotmail and Messenger

Nothing new...
    Nobody's forgetting those things, but iCloud is much more comprehensive, and automatic. For example, if you have to swap your phone at the Apple Store, you should be able to just login with your credentials on your new phone, and have it populate all your contacts, calendars, bookmarks, app data, device settings, etc., etc. If you buy a new iPad, again, you login with your credentials, and it should do the same thing.
    06-07-11 04:56 PM
    Nobody's forgetting those things, but iCloud is much more comprehensive, and automatic. For example, if you have to swap your phone at the Apple Store, you should be able to just login with your credentials on your new phone, and have it populate all your contacts, calendars, bookmarks, app data, device settings, etc., etc. If you buy a new iPad, again, you login with your credentials, and it should do the same thing.
    You make a really good point here. The Apple store is pretty good about just giving you a new phone if you have any problems and are covered under AppleCare. I brought my old 3G in once and ended up having to go home then back to the store because I couldn't remember if I'd backed up recently. With iCloud that isn't an issue anymore. Cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    weblou likes this.
    06-07-11 05:02 PM

ummm... Like i said, nothing new
    06-07-11 05:47 PM
    ummm... Like i said, nothing new
    So you're saying there are other services that do this? For free? For which devices? BB has BES, but it's no where near as comprehensive, and it isn't free. Logging into Hotmail or Messenger ID doesn't change any setting on my computer, nor does it change any preferences. Signing up for Skydrive and saving some files isn't going to sync my calendar for me. Closest thing is Android and Google services, but even that's not this complete where it will also allow you to sync and stream music. Sure there are piecemeal ways to get the same functionality, but it's no where near as convenient.
    06-07-11 06:10 PM
    So you're saying there are other services that do this? For free? For which devices? BB has BES, but it's no where near as comprehensive, and it isn't free. Logging into Hotmail or Messenger ID doesn't change any setting on my computer, nor does it change any preferences. Signing up for Skydrive and saving some files isn't going to sync my calendar for me. Sure there are piecemeal ways to get the same functionality, but it's no where near as convenient.

Yup. Apple is always newest and best. They seem to always come out with something so new and mind blowing.
    06-07-11 06:12 PM
    Yup. Apple is always newest and best. They seem to always come out with something so new and mind blowing.
    Why the sarcasm? I mean, is there anything negative about this? It will only force other companies to up their game. Whether you have Android, BB, or iOS, it's a positive thing because it will only make them improve their services. There's nothing new or mind blowing about iCloud, to be honest, it should have been done at least a year ago, but I'm guessing there were actual physical constraints such as building the data center.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    06-07-11 08:15 PM
    Perhaps nothing better to do than troll?

People act like because you didnt do it 1 day before everyone else, you're just some "poser" who rips off everyone's ideas. People don't seem to understand services like these take MASSIVE development- months and years. Apple has probably been working on this set of services since Android went mainstream 1-1.5 years ago, as these things don't get put together a month, or even 6 months, before release when you're talking such a large set of integrated services and having the servers to back all of that data up somewhere.

Google only had the edge to the market with sync/backup because they ALREADY had (for years now!) web search, email, calendar, huge amounts of servers, etc. (the cloud backbone if you will) before even making a smartphone OS. But Android does fail if you use anything but gmail and plan on restoring data as well. iCloud will restore it all, whether it's data in Apple's icould/mobileme portions, or anything else at all you put on there yourself.

I'd personally call that more flexible than saying use Gmail services or you don't get anything. Apple isn't forcing you to use a .me email address to get any of these services. iCloud works whether you do or dont; I can attest to this as I'm currently running beta 1 iOS5 on an iphone 4 using could services, and didn't create a .me address nor have ever had one. And I can still use all of the iCloud services; unlike Android where you were basically SOL if you didnt have gmail to use half of the backup/sync stuff.

So I guess by some people's logic, Android's slide to unlock and many other visual elements are just copies of iOS. And RIM copying many of there new OS visual elements and transitions from iOS then (as well as Web OS massively in QNX). And everyone copied pinch to zoom to their smartphones, but not until the after the iphone. (not that Apple pioneered these techs, but were first to mainstream them on smartphones) Nothing new right? Please take a look at smartphone OSs pre-iphone (WM, Palm OS, BB4.5) and post-iphone (QNX, BB6/7, Web OS, Android) and determine for yourself who in the market has taken more influence (visual elements, gestures, ideas) in their OS from who. No one cared (again remember how Palm OS, WM 5/6, BB4.5 were) about a slick fluid OS with pinch to zoom, flick scrolling, etc. before iOS was released with many of these visual and other features we have now.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 06-07-11 at 08:41 PM.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    06-07-11 08:25 PM
    Why the sarcasm? I mean, is there anything negative about this? It will only force other companies to up their game. Whether you have Android, BB, or iOS, it's a positive thing because it will only make them improve their services. There's nothing new or mind blowing about iCloud, to be honest, it should have been done at least a year ago, but I'm guessing there were actual physical constraints such as building the data center.

You mean like the ones Google, Microsoft and RIM already have?
    06-07-11 09:14 PM
    I stopped reading here.

People act like because you didnt do it 1 day before everyone else, you're just some "poser" who rips off everyone's ideas.

The year of the copy-cat right? LMAO
    06-07-11 09:16 PM
    You mean like the ones Google, Microsoft and RIM already have?
    It's well known Google has huge data centers. MS, has them too, but I'm guessing they're not as impressive as the ones Google has. As for RIM..... I've never heard of them having a data center. They have something called a Network Operations Center where all BB data goes through and gets encrypted and compressed, but they don't really hold the data themselves, as they have repeatedly told law enforcement throughout the world.
    06-07-11 09:45 PM
96 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD