I do agree on that part. the iphone did change the smart phone industry but since the release of the first 2G... nothing really. If anything Android has been making the biggest moves.

I don't think Apple (with Jobs) has ever been a company to just stand there and let the world pass them by (sorry RIM,Microsoft). Apple is and will always be changing especially now with Google in the mix.

I think ALL of us would agree that had it not been for the iPhone, NO company would be concentrating so much on the smartphone.
    07-15-10 01:52 PM
    step off your high horse and take facts for the real deal just because your stuck on your blackberry doesnt mean a competitors phone isn't better I have a bold 9700 and its a joke compared to my iPhone
    Umm... when did I ever knock anything about the iphone?

Quit thinking just cause I have a bb all of sudden I can't like anything else... I like the iphone... I just don't have one and never will. Dont need it.
    07-15-10 02:06 PM
    This chart doesn't really mean anything ( stats are on 4k+ people)
    Yeah, actually it does. A sampling of 4K people is way more valid than the individual posters on here saying "It doesn't matter, the iToy is garbage.".

Is it 100% definitive? No. Is it a 100% reliable indicator of the future? No.

Is it a significant sample that any marketing or sales person, or CEO worth their salt would at least factor into their research if not their conclusions? You bet.

I'm not an iPhone user, but I am a business person who can't stand it when people dismiss hard data for their own individual opinions. That is such BS, and complete fanboi action no matter which brand of fruit you're in favour of.

Jeez - grow up, people!

- R.
    07-15-10 02:15 PM
    FanBoy action?? Are you serious now? I am not a fanboy of anything Mr. Business man. You seem to take all this a little to personal. And for your information I do business too .... Marketing business .... and 4k+ is not hard data, add the fact that it was done in one remote location pretty much means nothing... especially to companies that are producing products for millions of user world wide. So if you want to use this data to make your conclusion on a product to be released or produced feel free.... one things for sure if it does work out for you it's more luck then market research

Yeah, actually it does. A sampling of 4K people is way more valid than the individual posters on here saying "It doesn't matter, the iToy is garbage.".

Is it 100% definitive? No. Is it a 100% reliable indicator of the future? No.

Is it a significant sample that any marketing or sales person, or CEO worth their salt would at least factor into their research if not their conclusions? You bet.

I'm not an iPhone user, but I am a business person who can't stand it when people dismiss hard data for their own individual opinions. That is such BS, and complete fanboi action no matter which brand of fruit you're in favour of.

Jeez - grow up, people!

- R.
    Last edited by TheBBman; 07-15-10 at 02:59 PM.
    07-15-10 02:35 PM
    step off your high horse and take facts for the real deal just because your stuck on your blackberry doesnt mean a competitors phone isn't better I have a bold 9700 and its a joke compared to my iPhone
    Hey I happen to like my sister's 9700 because of the keyboard and large text capacity, while my gf has an iPhone it's just like an iTouch and all I ever will do with a phone is call, text and check weather. I have little interest in surfing the web while on the train or bus, I barely use my Pearl flip. for anything other than texting. Where I live, BB is imensely popular, just about every coworker, friend, cousin, parent has a BB and BBM is an awesome way to communicate, my gf feels out of place from the BB crew.

It's just like all these new cars coming out with GPS modules, mp3 players and DVD players when your intention is just to drive. :P
    Last edited by sookster54; 07-15-10 at 03:16 PM.
    07-15-10 03:10 PM
    Hey I happen to like my sister's 9700 because of the keyboard and large text capacity, while my gf has an iPhone it's just like an iTouch and all I ever will do with a phone is call, text and check weather. I have little interest in surfing the web while on the train or bus, I barely use my Pearl flip. for anything other than texting. Where I live, BB is imensely popular, just about every coworker, friend, cousin, parent has a BB and BBM is an awesome way to communicate, my gf feels out of place from the BB crew.

It's just like all these new cars coming out with GPS modules, mp3 players and DVD players when your intention is just to drive. :P
    I have an extra Razr if you want one, it's black.. just give me $20. Ok ...ok $5..
    07-15-10 03:19 PM
    FanBoy action?? Are you serious now? I am not a fanboy of anything Mr. Business man. You seem to take all this a little to personal. And for you information I do business too .... Marketing business .... and 4k+ is not hard data, add the fact that it was done in one remote location pretty much means nothing... especially to companies that are producing products for millions of user world wide. So if you want to use this data to make your conclusion on a product to be released or produced feel free.... one things for sure if it does work out for you it's more luck then market research
    BBMan, if I have misjudged you as a fanboi I apologize. However, on this matter, dismissing a survey of 4000+ people out of hand as meaning nothing isn't typical in the business world. ChangeWave is a professional survey company quoted by many, and a poll of 4000+ people isn't cheap no matter how you do it - and if you do it right, it's expensive.

A survey of 4000+ IS hard data. As I said in my post, it may not be definitive, but at least it's significant enough that it merits consideration and (if you can afford it) further research. Would I base any significant decision on a single data point like this? No. Would I factor it in with other data points to see if there's a trend and see how valid this data point was? Certainly. Would I ignore/dismiss it? Not out of hand.

As for taking things personally, I don't. But I am not someone who suffers fools gladly, and this entire web site has so much knee-**** reaction and blind/stupid loyalty in so many of the postings that it gets under my skin at time. Sorry, no apologies for being intolerant of stupidity or asinine behaviour.

The fanboi comment is legit, and was not aimed at you personally but a mindset and approach. If you re-read it, I stated that "when people dismiss hard data for their own individual opinions" it is fanboi action. If you were not doing that, then by definition you are not a fanboi in my eyes.

- R.
    07-15-10 03:29 PM
    and 4k+ is not hard data...
    4K is not hard data, but polls that predict elections typically sample something in the area of 500-1000, and for the most part, they tend to be very good predictors of outcome. The way polls work is they include a margin of error. The larger the sample, the lower the margin of error. 4000, is actually a pretty large poll. A poll of 1000 people usually has a 3% margin of error, one of about 10,000 people has a 1% margin of error. Additionally, polls tend to be snapshots, and can change drastically over time, as people tastes and perceptions change. Whether you believe in the value of polling or not, that's up to you, but people running for political office take polls on a daily basis and pay millions to do so, so perhaps there is some value to it.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 07-15-10 at 04:35 PM.
    07-15-10 04:29 PM
    Very well said Rooster . Sorry for coming a little strong, just hate being called a fanboi... i pride my self in not being one . I think people show to much loyalty to these company's and that only profits one person......... The company themselves.
    I do see you point how this data could be used for some people but it's a relatively small amount of people. Considering that it was surveys that were done online (i guess) means the user go paid to do take part. So a lot of people that take online survey's take them fast and quick to get there money's worth. Not saying that it's not accurate info just saying that there's a lot in play when it comes to this type of data. Personally i wouldn't take it serious... I would just look at it and ok cool..... something to think about.
    But i do see how some could use data like this ... to each there own

BBMan, if I have misjudged you as a fanboi I apologize. However, on this matter, dismissing a survey of 4000+ people out of hand as meaning nothing isn't typical in the business world. ChangeWave is a professional survey company quoted by many, and a poll of 4000+ people isn't cheap no matter how you do it - and if you do it right, it's expensive.

A survey of 4000+ IS hard data. As I said in my post, it may not be definitive, but at least it's significant enough that it merits consideration and (if you can afford it) further research. Would I base any significant decision on a single data point like this? No. Would I factor it in with other data points to see if there's a trend and see how valid this data point was? Certainly. Would I ignore/dismiss it? Not out of hand.

As for taking things personally, I don't. But I am not someone who suffers fools gladly, and this entire web site has so much knee-**** reaction and blind/stupid loyalty in so many of the postings that it gets under my skin at time. Sorry, no apologies for being intolerant of stupidity or asinine behaviour.

The fanboi comment is legit, and was not aimed at you personally but a mindset and approach. If you re-read it, I stated that "when people dismiss hard data for their own individual opinions" it is fanboi action. If you were not doing that, then by definition you are not a fanboi in my eyes.

- R.
    07-15-10 04:53 PM
    Let's not get into politics here because i believe most of these government polls are fixed to influence the general population decision but that's just me
    I wouldn't make a final business decision on 4k online survey is what im saying. there's a lot that comes into play and not all the info is offered.
    Sure it gives a small screen shot of what the public wants, thinks, needs ect.... but what's the average age of these people? where are most located? how much did you pay them? how long did the survey take to complete on average?
    That's the way i look at it. Maybe you do different..it's cool

4K is not hard data, but polls that predict elections typically sample something in the area of 500-1000, and for the most part, they tend to be very good predictors of outcome. The way polls work is they include a margin of error. The larger the sample, the lower the margin of error. 4000, is actually a pretty large poll. A poll of 1000 people usually has a 3% margin of error, one of about 10,000 people has a 1% margin of error. Additionally, polls tend to be snapshots, and can change drastically over time, as people tastes and perceptions change. Whether you believe in the value of polling or not, that's up to you, but people running for political office take polls on a daily basis and pay millions to do so, so perhaps there is some value to it.
    07-15-10 04:59 PM
    Numbers don't lie
    07-15-10 07:07 PM
    BB>iPhone for some

iPhone>BB for others

so lets move along people
    07-15-10 07:16 PM
    The Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 game is another good example, so many copies sold (because of previous success of Call of Duty 4) and it's a garbage game.

The game has been universally praised (sans pc version) from every review body and even scored a 39/40 in Famitsu...which for an American game in Japan is outrageous, especially with how they rate games.

I guess you must be terrible, its ok if i sucked id say the game was bad too (deflect blame, its human nature bro).
    07-15-10 11:16 PM
    LOL.... MW2 is an amazing game. it's actually the only game i played on my ps3... haven't played in some time now but great for online playing. team death match

The game has been universally praised (sans pc version) from every review body and even scored a 39/40 in Famitsu...which for an American game in Japan is outrageous, especially with how they rate games.

I guess you must be terrible, its ok if i sucked id say the game was bad too (deflect blame, its human nature bro).
    07-16-10 09:39 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD