Apple iPhone Ad - Did You See My Email? on Vimeo

Sorry VZW customers.. just move on over to AT&T because VZW is NOT getting the iPhone anything soon.
    11-23-09 05:05 PM
    Ha! That's awesome :P
    I so wanna see this video, stupid work b locks!
    11-23-09 05:38 PM
    thats better than At&t's lame attempts with those ads with Luke Wilson....those are lame.
    11-23-09 05:58 PM
    the chalkboard one and postcards ones are pretty bad but the one with the guy fumbling 2 phones was fun and amusing at least.

Im glad ATT and Apple are stepping up. People have been saying they should use the voice/data simultaneously ads for years since VZW started "the network" crap. Personally being in a big city both carriers have good 3G so it comes down to little extras like these that sway customers. VZW 3G MIGHT have a bigger footprint but ATT still covers 70-75% of customers. 3G in the desert, mountains, and cornfields does little for most of the population.

Plus ATT still aded more subs this past quarter than VZW. Is there a map for that?
    Last edited by stuaw11; 11-23-09 at 06:16 PM.
    11-23-09 06:12 PM
    I find the battle between the two sides quite amusing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-09 01:57 AM
    What I dont get is why none of the Apple/AT&T ads are showing GPS+mapping while on a call..WTF APPLE! GET TO IT!
    11-24-09 11:23 AM
    another good point, cant use Google Nav (I believe)/Telenav while in a call
    11-24-09 11:34 AM
    AT&T rightly points out it has high-speed packet access (HSPA) networks covering 75% of the U.S. population, while the spaces in between are filled with 2G EDGE networks. If you happen to be in the 25% that doesn’t have 3G coverage, your data speeds are going to suck if you have the iPhone. But what Verizon hasn’t pointed out — yet — is that connection speeds often aren’t much better if you’re living in the blue. AT&T’s 3G network in the major metro markets isn’t just spottier than its 3G coverage, but also millions of iPhone and other smartphone connections have squandered what capacity is available. In many major metro markets the 3G network is so overloaded, connection speeds have been reduced to sub-2G levels, and in some cases 3G-capable phones are being shunted down to the Edge network
    11-24-09 11:44 AM
    I can say AT&T's 3G network is not consistent throughout the US (ex. Chicago's 3G is terribly SLOW compared to my hometowns 3G) but unless something major changes I just don't see the iPhone on Verizon's network summer 2010.

What I think happened is Verizon and Apple were in talks, they broke down (due to Verizon wanting to add bloatware). Apple finally said no, Verizon got their feelings hurt then proceeded to start the mud slinging.

Nice sig btw.. so true.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 11-24-09 at 11:51 AM.
    11-24-09 11:47 AM
    When you don't use voice/data simultaneously ALL the time, you really don't realize how much you really don't use it.

Hope that makes sense..

voice/data at same time is nice, but since I've switched to VZ/Droid, I realized I never really used it like Apple is pointing out. Yeah, you CAN use it, but do you ?
    11-24-09 12:04 PM
    I agree it varies greatly. Here in the South Florida area (Miami) ATT's 3G is pretty good. Havent had a problem with crawling speeds or getting a 3G connection in the 1.5 years Ive lived here. Miami is no NY population wise, but its still a big city. People blow ATT's 3G out of proportion quite a bit, not to deny it could use help in some cities, but people like to jump on hating bandwagons when they have 1 little problem. Sure I get a call failed or a drop every now and then but what carrier doesnt? Anyone who claims they dont is just a carrier fanboy because they all have a drop, or unable to connect a call, or data hiccup every now and then.

But I dont know why people are shocked, iphone use is 55% of the TOTAL web use in the US. Thats huge! Thats just one phone on one carrier. Doesnt include ATT's other smartphones nor Sprint, VZW, Tmo, or any of the other smaller carriers. Thats a staggering amount of data use, and improvements simply cant come overnight or even in a few months. Towers need site approval by local governments (who fight tooth and nail to not have "obscene" structures put up), theres the FCC to clear for upgrades/tower work, etc etc. Red tape everywhere no matter how many billions in profit ATT made. I truly dont think theyre blind to the issue with how much its in the press over the last few months. It just takes time to catch up to usage and get past the red tape to fix the issues. Remember everytime a new iphone comes out the usage spikes MILLIONS of data users, overnight sometimes.

I think voice/data is important if youre using these phones as gps units. If you cant get a call when using the GPS, whats the point of not buying a dedicated GPS then? That could be minutes or hours unable to get calls. While the iphone has dedicated programs that store maps on the phone, Droid uses Google Navigation which uses data and other VZW phones use Telenav which needs data.

I think thats the biggest use of voice/data, but Ive also needed to send an email or check a website on the phone with a headset (bluetooth or wired). Its nicer to have the option then not have.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 11-24-09 at 12:47 PM.
    11-24-09 12:40 PM
    When you don't use voice/data simultaneously ALL the time, you really don't realize how much you really don't use it.

Hope that makes sense..

voice/data at same time is nice, but since I've switched to VZ/Droid, I realized I never really used it like Apple is pointing out. Yeah, you CAN use it, but do you ?
    True.. I really don't use it as much as possible BUT.. I also have remarkable 3G FAST AT&T service where I live (VZW commercial :cough: :cough).

Verizon is true! I don't have 3G in the middle of the weeds under the water around the pole in the everglades.. but newsflash Verizon.. I kinda don't care! I spend .0000000000000000000000001% of my time there.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 11-24-09 at 01:44 PM.
    11-24-09 01:38 PM
    exactly what ive been saying for a while now. a map is only good if you use that area! If youll go there once in your lifetime maybe in 20 years, who cares! Id bet money a VERY small percentage of American travel 24/7/365 where the map REALLY makes the difference to their cell service. Id also bet money the MAJORITY of Americans stay within their home area most of their time during the year, which is coverage should matter when choosing a carrier. The map is a brainwashing gimmick and a mud-slinging attempt which has little merit or real world practicality. But ignorant consumers buy into the map being important when they rarely leave their few square mile home or work/office areas.

ATT covers 75% of where the population lives with 3G. Last time I checked the cows and corn stalks dont have cell phones.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 11-24-09 at 02:01 PM.
    11-24-09 01:59 PM

What I think happened is Verizon and Apple were in talks, they broke down (due to Verizon wanting to add bloatware). Apple finally said no, Verizon got their feelings hurt then proceeded to start the mud slinging.

Nice sig btw.. so true.
    Unless you were in the room when the talks were happening, stop talking about things you don't know. I am so tired of hearing how Verizon wants to add bloatware to all their devices. I have been using Smartphones since the Treo 600 on Verizon, and not ONE of the devices had bloatware on them. Every device listed I have used. Treo 600? NO. Treo 650? NO. HTC 6800? NO. Samsung I760? NO. Blackberry 9500? NOOO.

It is a shame that VZ has been plagued by this unsubstantiated lie. Yes their dumb phones (LG Dare, ENV etc) do have the Verizon stamping, but never their smart phones.
    11-24-09 02:30 PM
    another good point, cant use Google Nav (I believe)/Telenav while in a call
    I use VZNav as my primary and to be honest I don't really have many problems as long as you know the limitations. First while I'm navigating, If I'm on the Freeway and I know I don't have a new direction coming up for a while, I can get on a call. The app is smart enough to know where you to pick up from. My phone still rings while on GPS just like it rings if I'm surfing the web. If I'm in the city and there is going to be a lot of turns, etc, then I just don't answer the phone.
    11-24-09 02:39 PM
    Unless you were in the room when the talks were happening, stop talking about things you don't know. I am so tired of hearing how Verizon wants to add bloatware to all their devices. I have been using Smartphones since the Treo 600 on Verizon, and not ONE of the devices had bloatware on them. Every device listed I have used. Treo 600? NO. Treo 650? NO. HTC 6800? NO. Samsung I760? NO. Blackberry 9500? NOOO.

It is a shame that VZ has been plagued by this unsubstantiated lie. Yes their dumb phones (LG Dare, ENV etc) do have the Verizon stamping, but never their smart phones.
    Um.. that's why I said what I THINK (meaning of personal opinion) happened and not what happened. Relax Charlie Brown.. it's all good.

I think we are all getting away with what the whole point of this thread is.. VZW not getting the iPhone. Let's leave all the I heard VZW this.. heard VZW that from my brothers step-aunts.. step-daughters uncle who is close to the CEO's sisters dad Verizon getting the iPhone talk to the birds.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 11-24-09 at 03:23 PM.
    11-24-09 03:16 PM
    Man I knew Apple would come to AT&T's rescue. There was no way Apple was
    going to stand back and let Verizon b*tch slap their girlfriend. I saw this coming
    from a mile away.

I don't care too much about carrier wars at all, but these advertising tactics are
    really fun to watch.
    11-24-09 03:32 PM
    going to stand back and let Verizon b*tch slap their girlfriend. I saw this coming
    from a mile away.

I don't care too much about carrier wars at all, but these advertising tactics are
    really fun to watch.
    I agree, well said too...
    11-24-09 03:33 PM

So you're the only one on the planet that didn't get the Slacker OTA push, or the VZTones push, or any of the other stuff that VZ Bloated your Blackberry with?

Lies.
    11-24-09 03:53 PM
    from a mile away.
    I hate to double quote but that is funny!
    11-24-09 04:01 PM
    So you're the only one on the planet that didn't get the Slacker OTA push, or the VZTones push, or any of the other stuff that VZ Bloated your Blackberry with?

Lies.
    Slacker is not their app, and none of those vz icons are actually apps. They are not forcing you to actually use the programs. You know this and I know this.

My whole point is, people have spread that "lie" as the truth for years, and it really isn't. Apple is more a criminal of this than Verizon. Android should show you that Verizon only cares about your data payment every month. They don't care about ringtones and visual voicemail. Those are extras but are not deal breakers. Also, they seem to be pushing things that most people have asked for in the fist place. I don't use them but I know a lot of people that love those pieces of "Bloat"
    11-24-09 04:30 PM
    from a mile away.

really fun to watch.
    That would make sense except that AT&T and Apple continually b*tch slap one another anyway, so what's the big deal if Verizon does it? Let's face it, if Apple and Verizon were to come to an agreement, Apple would dump AT&T like two week old Mexican food. This ad is nothing more than Apple trying to make the best of their situation.
    11-24-09 04:38 PM
    Slacker is not their app, and none of those vz icons are actually apps. They are not forcing you to actually use the programs. You know this and I know this.

My whole point is, people have spread that "lie" as the truth for years, and it really isn't. Apple is more a criminal of this than Verizon. Android should show you that Verizon only cares about your data payment every month. They don't care about ringtones and visual voicemail. Those are extras but are not deal breakers. Also, they seem to be pushing things that most people have asked for in the fist place. I don't use them but I know a lot of people that love those pieces of "Bloat"
    Might not be their app, but it's stuff they are forcing on you, bloating your device.

I'll let you in on a secret. Verizon ACTUALLY does bloat your device.

If you take any of their Java devices, such as the Razr's or any of their non-smartphones. They absolutely do put on a custom UI so that "troubleshooting the device is easier for their call center people." <- thats what they claim.

Take a Motorola RAZR on AT&T and compare it to a Motorola RAZR on Verizon.. the UI is completely different.

Verizon charges $2.99 for VVM. Apple/AT&T charge $0

Verizon used to cripple bluetooth stacks and GPS. AT&T has never done this.

Verizon's only recently opened up because of the Open Handset Alliance, and the purchase of the 700mhz spectrum which being "open" was a requirement from the FCC.

Not tryin to argue.. just letting you know that Verizon did/does customize their OS on non-smartphones, throw "some form" of bloatware, (All the carriers push bloat to their Blackberrys) and did crippled bluetooth stacks/gps at one point.
    Last edited by sniffs; 11-24-09 at 04:53 PM.
    11-24-09 04:38 PM
    That would make sense except that AT&T and Apple continually b*tch slap one another anyway, so what's the big deal if Verizon does it? Let's face it, if Apple and Verizon were to come to an agreement, Apple would dump AT&T like two week old Mexican food. This ad is nothing more than Apple trying to make the best of their situation.
    Oh believe me I've never doubted that. I even said essentially the same thing
    in a thread in this section "Evidence iphone isn't coming to VZW." I said they
    can make it as nasty as heck, but if the opportunity came Apple and VZW
    would still do business together.
    11-24-09 04:59 PM

It's not a lie. You just FINALLY got WiFi on BBs, and when the Storm came out they finally unlocked GPS. They forced you to use their GPS services if you needed GPS. That's just plain bull**** and I don't care what kind of "security measures" they were taking.

And apps being pushed to you, wether you download and install them or not is bloatware.
    Last edited by avt123; 11-24-09 at 05:14 PM.
    11-24-09 05:11 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD