I see, I was talking about the stock UI...You can modify the iPhone via jail break.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    that's a good deal more complicated than downloading a theme

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    12-02-12 07:05 PM
    What can't the iPhone do? For 1 it has the best apps, best screen, top camera on any phone, Siri is solid the maps hasn't failed me yet. To say without apps it's nothing really? So what is bb? All I'm saying is I've had a bb for 5 yrs and a iPhone for over a year. iPhone is a very solid device. What's unique or special to you?
    Best apps. Ok, I'll give you that one

Best Screen. You've never seen an HTC One X huh? Or for that matter an LG Optimus G or Droid DNA. iPhone was surpassed.

Top camera? Not even in the top 5. So not even close.

Siri? Really? Come on your grasping for straws now.

Maps? The app that Tim Cook had ti issue a public apology for?

What is BlackBerry without apps? The best messaging platform, the most secure mobile platform in existence, and the only other platform in existence that is as vertically integrated as iOS.
    12-02-12 07:06 PM

Best Screen. You've never seen an HTC One X huh? Or for that matter an LG Optimus G or Droid DNA. iPhone was surpassed.

What is BlackBerry without apps? The best messaging platform, the most secure mobile platform in existence, and the only other platform in existence that is as vertically integrated as iOS.
    The iPhone has one of the best camera's on the market. There's no debating that. Siri comes in handy when it comes to reading txts and looking up basic info. How is bb considered the best messaging platform without the ability to video chat? You can download other map programs hence the beauty of having access to apps. The same cant be said about BB, considering all of their apps when compared to iOS/android are second rate.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    12-02-12 07:28 PM

PPI the screen can't be beat. And yes I have seen those displays.The maps are night and day compared to the initial release. And for messaging the iphone is better IMO. FaceTime ,viewing full emails, iMessage is great. Have you used Siri? It works very well. Why is Chevy installing it into there vehicles? Camera is tops notch! #'s speak for themselves. How's the one x selling?
    12-03-12 07:48 AM
    PPI the screen can't be beat. And yes I have seen those displays.The maps are night and day compared to the initial release. And for messaging the iphone is better IMO. FaceTime ,viewing full emails, iMessage is great. Have you used Siri? It works very well. Why is Chevy installing it into there vehicles? Camera is tops notch! #'s speak for themselves. How's the one x selling?
    I I don't intend to use any video chat service, my 9700 views full e-mail, iMessage is down quite often, Siri is helpful, but so is Vlingo, I'm not a fan of chevrolet products since my 04 cavalier, the camera is alright, "oooh panoramic" but I use an actual camera to take pictures.
    12-03-12 08:28 AM
    Apple knows how to market and doesn't rip on a specific device.
    Ha ... wouldn't go that far. Have you ever seen an Apple keynote (usually the kickoff of their campaigns)? They go out of their way to rip on competitors and be generally quite smug about their position in the world.

I'm still trying to figure out how Tim Cook came to the conclusion that the iPad mini has 35-50% more screen space than 7" tablets ...
    12-03-12 08:31 AM
    PPI the screen can't be beat.
    Not to suggest the 5 doesn't have an awesome screen, but someone should do a placebo effect study of retina display vs. non retina display.

The maps are night and day compared to the initial release.
    It depends where you are I think. The fracken maps up took me 1.5 hours out of my way two weeks ago. "Go northeast ... no ... go southwest ... no ... go northeast". then it took me off the highway, down a deadend country road and had me turn around at the end. The iPhone nearly went sailing out of the window. Two weeks ago. i haven't used it since.
    12-03-12 08:36 AM
    What can't the iPhone do? For 1 it has the best apps, best screen, top camera on any phone, Siri is solid the maps hasn't failed me yet. To say without apps it's nothing really? So what is bb? All I'm saying is I've had a bb for 5 yrs and a iPhone for over a year. iPhone is a very solid device. What's unique or special to you?
    The 5 has the best screen on the market? When was this claimed?

Have you not seen the reviews on the new Optimus, One X/+ and Droid DNA? I believe the DNA is about 100ppi higher than the 5 and has better color and brightness.

IMO Google Now is better and more accurate.

I'm not even going to comment on the maps app.

The iPhone is a solid device, iOS is just stale (UI). It is not hard to see. It is the same grid of icons since 2007 with the addition of a drop down notification center. If this is hard to see, then you are Apples target customer.
    12-03-12 10:07 AM
    PPI the screen can't be beat.
    Huh? The ppi on the iPhone 5 is not the highest.

HTC Droid DNA Smartphone Emerges with World's Highest PPI Smartphone Display: Parts-People.com Publishes 2 Reports
    Apple iPhone 5 vs. Nokia Lumia 920: Windows Phone 8 and iOS 6 Do Battle | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

DNA- 440ppi
    Lumia 920- 332
    iPhone 5- 326

It is clearly beaten when it comes to ppi.

Video review of One X and iPhone 5 screens.

Display Comparison: iPhone 5 vs. HTC One X (Video) | Pocketnow
    12-03-12 10:20 AM
    DNA- 440ppi
    Lumia 920- 332
    iPhone 5- 326

It is clearly beaten when it comes to ppi.
    Agree with your point, though I would bet most people wouldn't be able to tell a difference in quality between those screens.
    12-03-12 11:26 AM
    Agree with your point, though I would bet most people wouldn't be able to tell a difference in quality between those screens.
    I disagree. You might not be able to count the pixels but you can definitely tell the difference in screen quality. Some screens look more saturated than others. Some have worse brightness. Some look washed out.

Look at the video I posted from pocket now. The One X has more accurate color reproduction and looks more natural than the iPhone 5. I have used both side by side in person. The screen on the One X is nicer. Not by far, but it is nicer. That brings us back to the point of the iPhone 5 having the nicest screen on the market. Technically and visually speaking, it does not. It is still very very nice.
    12-03-12 12:31 PM
    Interesting topic indeed.

Though Apple has one new device this year and Samsung has flooded, wait flooded the market with 20-30 devices. All which have different spec's, screen resolutions, memory cap, and display ratio's which in all it's utterly chaos.....

Some people don't want change... If you don't believe me, go ahead and change your mother's home page or default search engine to something other than Google. Watch how fast you're disowned.

But let's put that aside for now, and talk about market share which has been in the news lately. Yes Samsung may lead the chart on device share, but in reality most will be EOL at the end of this month... Not much to retain if you asked me.. Yes I know they will come along with something else, but again people don't mind simple and basic in the Apple world as some may call it. Most users don't care about specs. , you'd be hard-pressed to find an average user who could tell you just how fast their CPU runs, how much RAM they have, and the capacity of their primary disk. Same with their phones.

THEY just don't care as much as geeks might care. And even SOME geeks don't care about hardware specs without knowing how well the software will handle the hardware.

Apple hasn't been forced to do anything; they've been iterating, and the market has obviously reacted quite positively to the way they've been doing things. I for one am just sick of so-called pundits calling a well-executed plan "boring" when the marketplace has reacted with nothing short of excitement (and NOT because of hype, but a five-device history of better-than-average experiences).

This isn't about Apple vs. Android on hardware or software merits; it's about Apple tackling this marketplace in a different way (and doing QUITE well at it)

So.... The first iPhone couldn't record video, wasn't on a 3G network, and didn't have apps.

God, what a colossal failure that turned out to be...........

Just my .02
    anon(73368) likes this.
    12-03-12 01:08 PM
    You can't argue with their sales numbers!!!!! Stale or not! The Samsung commercial aside. If anyone is stale it's RIM. HOWEVER, we hope, and believe that BB10 will change that. I believe it will, BUT RIM has a LOT to prove, but I'm hanging in there and giving them the chance to prove it!
    anon(73368) likes this.
    12-03-12 01:31 PM
    Apple hasn't been forced to do anything; they've been iterating, and the market has obviously reacted quite positively to the way they've been doing things. I for one am just sick of so-called pundits calling a well-executed plan "boring" when the marketplace has reacted with nothing short of excitement (and NOT because of hype, but a five-device history of better-than-average experiences).
    iOS is boring. Just because their plan is working well and the market gobbles up Apple products doesn't make it less boring. The UI is stale. Even all the major review sites see it this way and believe a refresh will happen within the next year or two.

Just because the device is boring does not mean it is bad. Millions of users flock to the iPhone every year. I use to love my iPhones ( I had the 3G, 3GS and 4) until I got sick of the same old same old that my first gen iPod Touch basically had.

And your comment about specs might have been accurate 1-2 years ago. People DO care about specs. Every time someone asks me about a new smartphone they have seen or heard about they are now always asking if it is dual or quad core, HD screen or not, screen size, available memory and everything else. The marketing of Android devices has brought this thought into their heads. 2 years ago they didn't even know the names of the OS on their devices.

Times are changing. Technical specs matter. No one is going to buy a low end spec device at a premium price anymore. It will not work that way. If you are charging $500 for a single core device in a dual/quad core market, expect sloppy sales. This is what happened to RIM in North America.

I love my Apple products, but to say the iPhone sales are mostly related to 5 generations of great user experience and not hype is an understatement. I can't tell you a percentage, but I can tell you a lot of people buy it because it is the "iPhone" and/or it is an Apple product. That is a large percent of the user base. It might not be the majority, but it is a large percentage.
    12-03-12 01:37 PM
    You can't argue with their sales numbers!!!!! Stale or not! The Samsung commercial aside. If anyone is stale it's RIM. HOWEVER, we hope, and believe that BB10 will change that. I believe it will, BUT RIM has a LOT to prove, but I'm hanging in there and giving them the chance to prove it!
    Agreed. But high sales does not equal good product. The iPhone is a great product, but being great is not the only reason it sells.

We shall see over the next few years, and I predict if the UI does not change within the next 1-2 years, the reign of the iPhone and Apple will be gone (in the smartphone/tablet sector). This view is shared by an overwhelming majority of respected tech bloggers and critics. I wont even mention the analysts. This site hates those guys.
    12-03-12 01:40 PM
    I disagree. You might not be able to count the pixels but you can definitely tell the difference in screen quality. Some screens look more saturated than others. Some have worse brightness. Some look washed out.
    That's not the point I was making. I was specifically addressing the PPI issue. There's a point where it likely won't matter because most people won't be able to tell the difference on that front.
    12-03-12 01:43 PM
    That's not the point I was making. I was specifically addressing the PPI issue. There's a point where it likely won't matter because most people won't be able to tell the difference on that front.
    I agreed with you on the density. You said screen quality though at the end, not just density.

I would bet most people wouldn't be able to tell a difference in quality between those screens.
    That reads differently than this

I would bet most people wouldn't be able to tell a difference in PPI between those screens.
    Quality sounds like a more overall general statement. Sorry for the confusion.
    12-03-12 01:50 PM

Look at the video I posted from pocket now. The One X has more accurate color reproduction and looks more natural than the iPhone 5. I have used both side by side in person. The screen on the One X is nicer. Not by far, but it is nicer. That brings us back to the point of the iPhone 5 having the nicest screen on the market. Technically and visually speaking, it does not. It is still very very nice.
    That's strange..... seems some people with testing machines and a degree in optics appear to disagree....

From Anandtech:

"The full sRGB gamut is present here, and color errors are remarkably low even for a high end desktop display....To put this in perspective, in the past few years I've reviewed probably 30-40 different displays, from PC monitors to TVs to projectors. Not a single one, out of the box, can put up the Gretag Macbeth dE numbers that the iPhone can, and perhaps one projector (which listed for $20,000) can approach the grayscale and color accuracy out of the box."

"Numbers were run using CalMAN 5 software, and a SpectraCal C6 colorimeter that was profiled from an i1Pro spectrometer. All readings are the average of three measurements from the C6, except for very dark readings where ten measurements were taken for more accuracy."

iPhone 5 CIE 1976 uv Chart

Color Saturations

Gretag MacBeth Color Checker

AnandTech - The iPhone 5 Display: Thoroughly Analyzed
    anon(73368) likes this.
    12-03-12 01:52 PM
    That's strange..... seems some people with testing machines and a degree in optics appear to disagree....

From Anandtech:

"The full sRGB gamut is present here, and color errors are remarkably low even for a high end desktop display....To put this in perspective, in the past few years I've reviewed probably 30-40 different displays, from PC monitors to TVs to projectors. Not a single one, out of the box, can put up the Gretag Macbeth dE numbers that the iPhone can, and perhaps one projector (which listed for $20,000) can approach the grayscale and color accuracy out of the box."

iPhone 5 CIE 1976 uv Chart
    http://images.anandtech.com/gallerie...amut_575px.png

Color Saturations
    http://images.anandtech.com/doci/633...Data_575px.png

Gretag MacBeth Color Checker
    http://images.anandtech.com/doci/633...2000_575px.png

AnandTech - The iPhone 5 Display: Thoroughly Analyzed
    All this proved to me was that the display on the iPhone 5 is better than the one on the iPhone 4.

Wrapping up, the iPhone 5 display is a quantum leap better than the display on the iPhone 4.
    No one is arguing that. The display is gorgeous. The statement was the iPhone has the best screen on the market. Do you have the same type of review for the iPhone 5 screen being compared to the screens I listed?
    12-03-12 02:02 PM
    All this proved to me was that the display on the iPhone 5 is better than the one on the iPhone 4.
    How about this:

DisplayMate Claims iPhone 5 Has The Best Display They’ve Ever Tested | Pocketnow

"Smartphone displays are continuing their rapid evolution in performance. Apple has again taken the lead in methodical refinements and factory calibration that are necessary to produce accurate very high picture quality. Based on our extensive Lab measurements the iPhone 5 has a true state-of-the-art accurate display – it’s not perfect and there is plenty of room for improvements (and competitors) but it is the best Smartphone display we have seen to date based on extensive Lab measurements and viewing tests. In particular it is a significant improvement over the display in the iPhone 4 with much lower screen Reflections, much higher image contrast and screen readability in high ambient lighting (the highest we have ever measured), and a significantly improved and accurate Color Gamut and Factory Calibration that delivers very accurate colors and very good picture quality. While it’s not quite as accurate as the new iPad, it is still probably more accurate than any consumer display you own (including your HDTV), unless you have a new iPad." http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm
    12-03-12 02:06 PM
    Sorry for the confusion.
    No need to apologize. I should have been clearer.
    avt123 likes this.
    12-03-12 02:18 PM
    How about this:

DisplayMate Claims iPhone 5 Has The Best Display They’ve Ever Tested | Pocketnow

"Smartphone displays are continuing their rapid evolution in performance. Apple has again taken the lead in methodical refinements and factory calibration that are necessary to produce accurate very high picture quality. Based on our extensive Lab measurements the iPhone 5 has a true state-of-the-art accurate display – it’s not perfect and there is plenty of room for improvements (and competitors) but it is the best Smartphone display we have seen to date based on extensive Lab measurements and viewing tests. In particular it is a significant improvement over the display in the iPhone 4 with much lower screen Reflections, much higher image contrast and screen readability in high ambient lighting (the highest we have ever measured), and a significantly improved and accurate Color Gamut and Factory Calibration that delivers very accurate colors and very good picture quality. While it’s not quite as accurate as the new iPad, it is still probably more accurate than any consumer display you own (including your HDTV), unless you have a new iPad." iPhone 5 Galaxy S III Display Technology Shoot-Out
    And the source to your link is about the SGS3 vs the iPhone 5. A screen that I am not even talking about. You even quoted it.

iPhone 5 Galaxy S III Display Technology Shoot-Out

Here is one saying the iPhone 5 beats the One X.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Displ...id35171/page/3

And this one showing the One X in first, the iPhone in second and the DNA in third.

http://us.gizmodo.com/5960289/htc-dr...e-best-display

Also let it be noted, we are comparing a 4inch screen to 4.7+.
    Last edited by avt123; 12-03-12 at 02:38 PM.
    12-03-12 02:23 PM
    And the source to your link is about the SGS3 vs the iPhone 5. A screen that I am not even talking about. You even quoted it.

iPhone 5 Galaxy S III Display Technology Shoot-Out
    I guess statements like "Best display ever tested" isn't sufficient to convince you. How about raw data?

HTC One X Saturations and Gamut:

iPhone 5 Saturations and Gamut:

HTC One X Color Checker:

iPhone 5 Color Checker:

HTC One X Greyscale and Gamma:

iPhone 5 Greyscale and Gamma:

Grayscale 200nits Avg dE2000: iPhone 5:3.564 HTC One X: 6.609
    CCT Avg (K) iPhone 5: 6925 HTC One X:5944
    Saturation Sweep Avg dE2000 iPhone 5: 3.591 HTC One X:5.066
    GMB ColorChecker Avg dE2000 iPhone 5: 4.747 HTC One X:6.963 7.322

Charts and data from Anandtech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/t...ne-5-review/15
    anon(73368) likes this.
    12-03-12 02:32 PM
    I guess statements like "Best display ever tested" isn't sufficient to convince you. How about raw data?
    No it isn't enough to convince me, because I do not know all of the screens that this person tested. Was I suppose to automatically know they tested the One X as well? They said they tested 30-40 screens in the past few years. Well guess what? That's not a lot considering more than 30-40 smartphones release in one year. Many of which have excellent screens (for that time).

Thank you for the raw data though. According to that it has better color reproduction and brightness than the One X. I have perfect vision and to me, the One X looks nicer. Maybe the size plays a part in it but the One X looks nicer to me as well.

Spec wise, the iPhone screen is not the best on the market (resolution, PPI).
    12-03-12 02:46 PM
    My 2011 Mac Book Pro is not the best in the Market right now. But it's been the Most stable Mobile computing I have used since Windows 7 on multiple laptops I have had the past year. It works for me.
    12-03-12 02:52 PM
51 123