There was a line of roughly a dozen people outside the small Apple mall store in San Jose. I walked by later and the line was about the same length, but different people. What's causing Apple customers to line up AGAIN?? A new product?
    07-23-10 05:37 PM
    I don't think so.
    Maybe an angry mob.
    Jk

Well it usually would be a Tuesday because that's when apple updates usually so yeah..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-10 05:46 PM
    Nope. Just apple people.

07-23-10 05:53 PM
    I've walked past that store many times (I live nearby) and it's not often I see any lines outside the store. Usually just when there is a new iphone/ipad/etc.
    07-23-10 06:06 PM
    Maybe people who prefer to check live at the store whether something new is out, instead of just checking the net...just hardcore Apple fans.
    07-23-10 06:51 PM
    There were plenty of people in the store looking at various products. The line was for something specific--I just don't know what for.
    07-23-10 07:00 PM
    Case refunds??

07-23-10 07:55 PM
    Case refunds??

I bet that's it, or in-store case giveaways.
    07-23-10 08:30 PM
    There was a line of roughly a dozen people outside the small Apple mall store in San Jose. I walked by later and the line was about the same length, but different people. What's causing Apple customers to line up AGAIN?? A new product?
    Apple shipped a lot of iPhones and iPads to Apple stores this week in attempt to clear out the backlog on the reserve lists for both devices. People started getting the e-mails saying their devices were ready for pickup on Wednesday.
    07-23-10 11:10 PM
    A lynch mob looking for a geek in a turtle-neck?
    :-)

07-24-10 03:34 AM
    iSheep just milling mindlessly about.
    07-24-10 04:20 AM
    Lolololol!!!

07-24-10 04:43 AM
    LOL. Which is worse, a sheep or a troll?
    07-24-10 10:03 AM
    Apple shipped a lot of iPhones and iPads to Apple stores this week in attempt to clear out the backlog on the reserve lists for both devices. People started getting the e-mails saying their devices were ready for pickup on Wednesday.
    ^ this

I got the email on Thursday that said my iPhone 4 was ready for pickup at the Apple Store here in Brandon. They only give you two days to come get it, or they'll give it to someone else. The store was freakin' PACKED on Thursday.
    07-24-10 10:14 AM
    Taking a wild guess, free bumpers (and refunds).

The Apple store here shipped very low counts of iPads when it came out, they kept going sold out making people think it's extremely popular but I spoke with one of the employees there that their shipment was small and they had to order more. Lineups can mean anything.
    07-24-10 10:37 AM
    LOL. Which is worse, a sheep or a troll?
    Surely that should be iSheep and iTroll (HeTrolls??) - hehe

Actually 4Q2 (should I look into that guy's name?) made a pretty funny comment.

I will let the troll pass just this once.
    07-24-10 11:15 AM
    They line up for cases too?

Seriously, lining up to buy anything goes against my core values...
    07-24-10 11:19 AM
    Well Jobs announced free cases, or refunds if you already bought one. So if you bought one in the store, you had to go back to the store to get refunded. Combine that with the fact Apple shipped a bunch of iphone 4's out this past week to fill orders and you get lines.

They email everyone the same day to come pick it up instead of in batches of a few dozen at a time which causes everyone to rush down that day and a line forms.
    07-24-10 12:15 PM
    Taking a wild guess, free bumpers (and refunds).

The Apple store here shipped very low counts of iPads when it came out, they kept going sold out making people think it's extremely popular but I spoke with one of the employees there that their shipment was small and they had to order more. Lineups can mean anything.
    Not quite, there has been a shortage of parts to build as many as there is demand.

I know with the iphone 4 its the screens; they just cant make enough to keep up with demand. I vaguely remember reading they are Samsung screens, but either way its not exactly Apple holding back to create artificial demand- there already is a TON of demand. NO ONE thought theyd sell a few million in the first month, especially without the 20 countries launching in a few days.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 07-24-10 at 12:20 PM.
    07-24-10 12:18 PM
    Not quite, there has been a shortage of parts to build as many as there is demand.

I know with the iphone 4 its the screens; they just cant make enough to keep up with demand. I vaguely remember reading they are Samsung screens, but either way its not exactly Apple holding back to create artificial demand- there already is a TON of demand. NO ONE thought theyd sell a few million in the first month, especially without the 20 countries launching in a few days.
    It's the screens causing the bottleneck for iPads too. They source them from like 3 different places, but they are apparently low yield because it's something new, 10" IPS. The bottleneck should open up though, as manufacturers get better at making the screens.
    07-24-10 12:45 PM
    Have you seen the "Death Grip Fix" on the Apple website recently? A new product in 5 or 6 colors, which is basically a small stripe layed over the slash between the antennas to prevent human skin being a conductor between those two.
    Looks like an Iphone with a band aid
    07-24-10 02:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD