Apple reports earnings after market close today.

Getting this thread ready. This is the correct forum so let's try to keep the complaints to a minimum. Hopefully those not interested will ignore it rather than try to get it closed again.

The street is expecting 30 millions iPhone sales.
    04-24-12 08:45 AM
    agreed. not much to argue about anyways, Apple dominating as usual
    04-24-12 01:17 PM
    Result is out.

For the quarter, Apple posted revenue of $39.2 billion and net quarterly profit of $11.6 billion, or $12.30 per diluted share, compared to revenue of $24.67 billion and net quarterly profit of $5.99 billion, or $6.40 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 47.4 percent, compared to 41.4 percent in the year-ago quarter, and international sales accounted for 64 percent of the quarter's revenue. Apple's quarterly profit and revenue were both company records for the March quarter.

They again guided pretty conservatively on next quarter.
    04-24-12 03:43 PM
    Someone tried to get your other thread closed?

Anyway, what are the results compared to last quarter? I don't really have them on hand.
    04-24-12 03:54 PM
    Apple sells 35 million iPhones, posts $11.6 billion profit in record Q2

Apple sells 35 million iPhones, posts $11.6 billion profit in record Q2 | The Verge

Apple just announced its Q1 2012 results with $11.6 billion in profit from $39.2 billion revenue a huge increase from the $5.99 billion profit and $24.67 billion revenue reported in Q1 2011. It didn't quite hit the same level as Apple's record-breaking previous quarter, but that had the added benefit of a gift-giving holiday season. As usual, this is a record quarter for the company. Cue the surprise.

35.1 million iPhones were sold in this quarter alone an 88 percent increase over the 18.65 million sold in Q2 2011 and almost equal to the 37.04 million sold during just last quarter. Apple also sold 11.8 million iPads, which 151 percent more year-over-year but down 4 million from the 15.43 million sold during the holiday quarter. Macs stayed largely consistent, up 7 percent to 4 million (and only slightly off Q1's reported 5.3 million in sales). iPods once again were in decline, 15 percent to 7.7 million units sold.

Oh, and Apple's cash on balance sheet? $110 billion $12.4 billion more than last quarter.

Apple is holding a conference call at 5:00PM ET / 2:00PM PT to discuss the results, and of course, we'll be updating with notes from the call!

Developing...

Notes from the conference call. All times in PT

2:01PM PT: An abrupt halt to the classical string arrangement. CFO Peter Oppenheimer and CEO Tim Cook will be speaking on the call.

2:04PM: Mountain Lion is still due out this summer. Just FYI.

2:05PM: iPod continues to be the best-selling MP3 player in most markets. 28 million songs in the iTunes stores.

2:06PM: "Very strong iPhone sales growth." Sales in Japan more than doubled year-over-year.

2:07PM: Recognized revenue from accessories was $22.7 billion for the quarter, an 85 percent year-over-year increase.
    04-24-12 04:12 PM
    Wow. Almost as many sold as their holiday quarter. Not bad.
    04-24-12 04:33 PM
    Over 60% of total revenue from international market and most surprisingly 22% total revenue are from Greater China region.

To put it in perspective, Apple's revenue from China alone (7.9 billions) is close to double of RIMM's total last quarter revenue (4.1 billions).
    04-24-12 04:44 PM
    I'd be interested to know how many of those iPads were iPad 3s. Has anyone seen a breakdown of that?
    04-24-12 04:54 PM
    I'd be interested to know how many of those iPads were iPad 3s. Has anyone seen a breakdown of that?
    They wouldn't say on the call, but they did say sales of the new iPad are still supply-bound as they complete the rollout.
    04-24-12 05:17 PM
    Amazing. They just got $600 from me today. I ordered a 32GB Gen. 3 iPad. Apple rules. Again.
    04-24-12 07:25 PM
    A considered view:

iPhone revenue was down 7%, quarter to quarter.

iPad revenue was down 28%, quarter to quarter.

Quarter-over-quarter, Apple results rose 32% in Asia but were down in every other region from Q1′s level.
    04-24-12 07:40 PM
    A considered view:

Quarter-over-quarter, Apple results rose 32% in Asia but were down in every other region from Q1′s level.
    Did anyone really expect them to beat holiday sales though? No, they didn't. 30-32 million was the consensus which apple beat.

110 billion in the bank!!!!
    04-24-12 07:46 PM
    A considered view:

Comparison to the year ago quarter is a *much* better indicator for a consumer electronics company. The holiday quarter is always high, especially since that had an extra week that past year.
    brucep1 likes this.
    04-24-12 08:08 PM
    Comparison to the year ago quarter is a *much* better indicator for a consumer electronics company. The holiday quarter is always high, especially since that had an extra week that past year.
    So are the numbers for a quarter where you release a much anticipated product.

(not trolling... just saying that THAT is the reason for 'holiday' like sales)
    04-25-12 12:24 AM

That may or may not be true. If you look at apple's sales year over year you'll see that they are continually growing, even in quarters where a new product isn't released.

Is it sustainable? That remains to be seen, but so far the trend is clear.
    04-25-12 06:33 AM

As a shareholder, I'm more worried about iPad supply than demand right now. They clearly said they sold them as fast as they could make them. I hope they can make 15+ million this quarter.
    04-25-12 06:54 AM

You do realize the iPad 2 was released in the same quarter last year right?

So, comparing this quarter from last year with this quarter this year would be much more accurate.

Everyone, remember these numbers are after a universal sigh of dissapointment with the iphone 4s instead of the iphone 5. Sure, the 4s sold, but consumers were eager for a redesign. Who knows what might happen when the iPhone 5 hits, but the sky is the limit.
    04-25-12 07:23 AM
    If Apple can continue to innovate and meet consumer demand, we may see $1,000 a share. Insane.
    04-25-12 07:25 AM
    You do realize the iPad 2 was released in the same quarter last year right?

So, comparing this quarter from last year with this quarter this year would be much more accurate.
    He probably doesn't realize that.
    04-25-12 09:02 AM
    If Apple can continue to innovate and meet consumer demand, we may see $1,000 a share. Insane.
    If they're able to drop a newly designed phone and an Apple HD TV integrated with with voice rec(SiRi) product this holiday season, I would expect a stellar 4Q for the firm.

Not sure about the phone, but I would absolutely grab that TV.
    04-25-12 09:06 AM
    we may see $1,000 a share. Insane.
    You know, my first job on the street was right out of college. I worked for Shearson and all I was sit on the phone all day and give stock quotes to some rich folks.

What I'll always remember was that Bob Villa(The Home Improvement guy)used to call in daily for quotes on Berkshire Hat. It was trading in the $300 - $350 range.

I remembered thinking to myself "Who can afford this thing?"

Apple was trading for $16 a pop and woman that I used to sit next to, would pick-up 25 shares of Apple every payday.

I followed financial and entertainment companies and didn't really understand 'tech' too much.

I remember when I left to head to JP Morgan, Julia was close to 1000 shares and still going.

That was 16 years ago.

I wonder to this day how she's doing, if she's still long, and is she's still buying in lots of 25.

Can Apple hit $1000? Anything's possible.
    04-25-12 09:23 AM
    You know, my first job on the street was right out of college. I worked for Shearson and all I was sit on the phone all day and give stock quotes to some rich folks.

What I'll always remember was that Bob Villa(The Home Improvement guy)used to call in daily for quotes on Berkshire Hat. It was trading in the $300 - $350 range.

I remembered thinking to myself "Who can afford this thing?"

Apple was trading for $16 a pop and woman that I used to sit next to, would pick-up 25 shares of Apple every payday.

I followed financial and entertainment companies and didn't really understand 'tech' too much.

I remember when I left to head to JP Morgan, Julia was close to 1000 shares and still going.

That was 16 years ago.

I wonder to this day how she's doing, if she's still long, and is she's still buying in lots of 25.

Can Apple hit $1000? Anything's possible.
    I hope for her sake she stuck to her guns and kept buying.
    04-25-12 09:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD