Yes I did, I guess. Got a link? Did this "jailbreak website" actually install malicious code? Did it compromise anyone's credit card numbers or transfer funds from their bank accounts or sell their email address to the highest bidder or copy jPEGs of a compromising nature?

Security in the digital age is relative, and in the tech press it's very meaning is elusive. When it comes to Apple it's downright sensational in most cases. Of the many many millions of iOS devices out there, I haven't heard of a SINGLE exploit that doesn't involve some kind of human error on the part of the device owner. And the error part is usually obvious and not likely to be committed by anyone paying attention.

Aside from all of that, many of us here overlook the fact that in 2014, if your black berry isn't on a BES server, it's arguably NO MORE secure than any other phone out there. With scant evidence of successful malicious attacks and Apple's track record considering the exponentially larger number of devices out there, might we consider that Apple is every bit as secure as a consumer black berry?

Keeping in mind that all iPhones going forward are going to have TouchID, I think we can at least consider the possibility.
    Jesus Christ, do I have to google everything for you? You're obviously not looking very hard. Let me google that for you Let me google that for you Apple iPhone 4S hacked by Exploiting Safari in iOS 5, iOS 6

My point is, hackers and security researchers are revealing really bad holes to Apple. And it happens fairly often. Teenagers, amateurs in their spare time, in days and weeks in some cases. Apple fixes them after they have been exposed, but what about the ones not revealed? Many of these exploits affect multiple versions of iOS, over years. The arsenal of tools revealed in catalogs due to Snowden leaks shows there are many ways to go about it. On a high value target, the attacker is going to keep their infection hidden from the user as best as possible, and that environment is ripe on iOS for that to occur.

I don't know why you equate "Secure" with publicly known exploits for immediate financial gain. Companies like Nortel and Boeing have been infiltrated for years undetected. It CAN be argued that a BlackBerry is more secure, even if not on BES. And you are flat out ignoring the constant jailbreaking as proof of that, so you are impossible to be reasonable with. I cannot consider Apple to be every bit as secure as a consumer BlackBerry. There is just no proof of that argument and you haven't made any reasonable points. There are numerous arguments to the contrary, and your ignorance is your problem.
    07-28-14 02:45 AM
    Jesus Christ, do I have to google everything for you? You're obviously not looking very hard. Let me google that for you Let me google that for you Apple iPhone 4S hacked by Exploiting Safari in iOS 5, iOS 6

My point is, hackers and security researchers are revealing really bad holes to Apple. And it happens fairly often. Teenagers, amateurs in their spare time, in days and weeks in some cases. Apple fixes them after they have been exposed, but what about the ones not revealed? Many of these exploits affect multiple versions of iOS, over years. The arsenal of tools revealed in catalogs due to Snowden leaks shows there are many ways to go about it. On a high value target, the attacker is going to keep their infection hidden from the user as best as possible, and that environment is ripe on iOS for that to occur.

I don't know why you equate "Secure" with publicly known exploits for immediate financial gain. Companies like Nortel and Boeing have been infiltrated for years undetected. It CAN be argued that a BlackBerry is more secure, even if not on BES. And you are flat out ignoring the constant jailbreaking as proof of that, so you are impossible to be reasonable with. I cannot consider Apple to be every bit as secure as a consumer BlackBerry. There is just no proof of that argument and you haven't made any reasonable points. There are numerous arguments to the contrary, and your ignorance is your problem.
    So again,....no one's data compromised?

Right. Got it. Thanks.

Look, I can see your upset. That wasn't my intention here. This is the internet. Life is too short to get bent out of shape about this stuff. I'm only pointing out, again, that so far as you or me or anybody else knows, none of these exploits have caused anyone any harm. This particular example happened at pwn2own for petes sakes. (yes I'm familiar.)

We can't say for certain that it's IMPOSSIBLE to crack a blackberry. (of course it's possible.)

All we can say with the metric you have chosen as proof that Apple can be is that very few people are trying.

It's cool, man. I acknowledge jailbreaking. All I'm saying is that it hasn't led to any identity theft.
    xandermac likes this.
    07-28-14 03:28 AM
    So again,....no one's data compromised?

Right. Got it. Thanks.

Look, I can see your upset. That wasn't my intention here. This is the internet. Life is too short to get bent out of shape about this stuff. I'm only pointing out, again, that so far as you or me or anybody else knows, none of these exploits have caused anyone any harm. This particular example happened at pwn2own for petes sakes. (yes I'm familiar.)

We can't say for certain that it's IMPOSSIBLE to crack a blackberry. (of course it's possible.)

All we can say with the metric you have chosen as proof that Apple can be is that very few people are trying.

It's cool, man. I acknowledge jailbreaking. All I'm saying is that it hasn't led to any identity theft.
    Do all of those iPhones that were supposedly stolen and locked and then unlocked using Doulci still contain pictures on the phones? I assume the act of reporting the phone stolen should wipe it, but I don't know if it wipes it or just locks it, or in cases where airplane mode is turned on before it can be wiped?

At no time did I point out that "very few people are trying". My point is that you wouldn't know about all of them and you still don't get that judging by that response. Once the exploit is made public, its fixed, ergo, don't tell Apple if you don't want it closed (except for Doulci, they told Apple 5 months before going public after Apple didn't respond to them initially). Only the good people will report it responsibly to Apple. Bad actors will take advantage of it for as long as they can until discovered.
    07-28-14 04:15 AM
    Do all of those iPhones that were supposedly stolen and locked and then unlocked using Doulci still contain pictures on the phones?
    Okay, so now you've moved onto a scenario that affects every phone and user? Good....
    07-28-14 08:14 AM
29 12