[img]

Will every iPhone accessory you own become obsolete?
    Jun 22, 2012 9:19 AM EDT

All those expensive iPhone accessories you own, all the stuff that plugs into the bottom of the device -- speakers, docks, chargers and so on -- may be about to become obsolete.

Tech blog TechCrunch reports that Apple plans to change the design and size of the connector for the iPhone 5. The old 30-pin connector, which has been the standard since the third generation iPod, is to be replaced by a 19-pin mini connector.

"TechCrunch has independently verified that Apple is working on adding a 19-pin port to the new iPhone. It is a move that will surely send shocks through the iPhone accessory ecosystem," the site wrote.

"The new port is similar in size to the Thunderbolt port available on many MacBook devices but [TechCrunch] has been told by three independent manufacturers that the pin-out will be different."

"It's clear Apple is more concerned with space savings inside each device."

Leaked video footage claiming to be of the iPhone 5 shows a smaller connector.

TechCrunch's prediction that the news will send shockwaves is spot on.

Tech blogger Robert Scoble said the change would give Apple a tighter control on iPhone accessories.

"It will be nearly impossible to make unlicensed devices," he wrote on his blog. "Unfortunately these design goals mean making obsolete the something like 10 power chargers in my home. Sigh."

Awesome Robo's Sirio Brozzi wrote, "People are stunned by this possibility, myself included. I mean, why fix something that's not broken?"

Writing on Forbes.com, Dave Thier said "Apple is great at getting us to buy new products, and this may be one its biggest coups yet. The environment will suffer, like usual, but expect accessory manufacturers to make a mint after an uncomfortable transition."

Mashable reports the iPhone's dock connector "is about to go on a diet."

Apple has yet to respond to questions about the new connector design.

Get more tech news at news.com.au.[/img]

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-23-12 02:22 PM
    If they go this route, I would think they would have some type of adapter to a 30 pin connector.
    GingerSnapsBack likes this.
    06-23-12 02:29 PM
    You think that will upset buyers? lol
    If you are a leader you are free to do anything, the world just follows.
    06-23-12 02:34 PM
    Has anyone ever been FORCED to buy an iPhone? If you don't like the dock change, just keep your present iPhone. Problem solved!!!
    Spencerdl likes this.
    06-23-12 02:46 PM
    deleted - pk
    How are they abusing people? This is a free market, buy what you want.

These "iSheep" comments have been old for a while now. What insult would you like for using a smartphone made by a company that is doing worse and worse every time they report their earnings? Or a smartphone that was shipping with a high-end price tag with low-end specs for its time of release? Or a company that prides themselves on business and great communications, but ships their first "professional grade tablet" with no calendar, email or BBM?

I wont insult you though, I think your over use of the sarcasm smiley and your childish insults do enough damage already.
    Last edited by avt123; 06-23-12 at 06:34 PM.
    06-23-12 06:29 PM
    If they are about to change the design, I wish they would go with the almost universally used micro USB.
    Hate having to lug around different travel chargers and car chargers.
    06-23-12 06:58 PM
    If they are about to change the design, I wish they would go with the almost universally used micro USB.
    Agreed. It is really annoying.
    06-23-12 07:01 PM
    Agreed. It is really annoying.
    x2. Nearly every other phone now uses the micro usb. I wouldnt care if it were only my iPhone, but my work dumbphone uses the micro usb. It would just simplify things.
    06-23-12 07:24 PM
    If they go this route, I would think they would have some type of adapter to a 30 pin connector.
    And probably include it with the purchase of the new iPhone.
    06-24-12 12:40 PM
    They'll upset about as many as the mini to micro USB switch. It's the rumored new SIM that bothers me more.
    The Gift likes this.
    06-24-12 04:03 PM
    I think that's the point. If they went that route, less people would buy the their chargers because it could be found everywhere and that would upset accessory makers due to poor sales and Apple would loose revenue (if they make revenue off sales of 3rd party accessories too). It would be a dumb move on Apple's side but its unfortunate it has to go that way.
    06-24-12 04:15 PM
    on the other hand the only thing i would have to replace would be the stock charger oh wait it comes with that already....
    lol +1. And if anything happens to that one, you'll have to buy a new one any ways just like you would with the current chargers so I too don't see what all the fuss is all about.
    06-24-12 04:18 PM
    They'll upset about as many as the mini to micro USB switch. It's the rumored new SIM that bothers me more.
    Exactly.

People will get over it, just like they got over RIM going from mini to micro.
    06-25-12 04:13 PM
    Accessories have a higher profit than phones do, by a very, very huge margin.

It would not be surprising at all.
    06-25-12 06:37 PM
    I was thinking about this, and I found much of the appeal of the Iphone is almost always based on pure hype. Nothing about the phone should make people choose it over any other leading edge phone right now. If you want IOS apps there's always the IPad to fall back on if you want to run those, and there's valid reasons for wanting the Ipad because it is simply the best right now. For the Iphone I just don't see any reason to get it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-27-12 10:02 AM
    Remember when one of the mods said that the next person who used iSheep or iToy would get a three day because it's stupid and needs to stop? I wanna say it was Bla1ze...that wasn't a clue that people need to stop using the terms on BOTH sides?

Enough.

Edit

It was Branta

http://forums.crackberry.com/showpost.php?p=7453626

I got blisters on me fingers! from using Tapatalk.
    I'll echo it again though, give it up.. name calling is mindless.
    pkcable and reeneebob like this.
    06-27-12 10:51 AM
    I was thinking about this, and I found much of the appeal of the Iphone is almost always based on pure hype. Nothing about the phone should make people choose it over any other leading edge phone right now. If you want IOS apps there's always the IPad to fall back on if you want to run those, and there's valid reasons for wanting the Ipad because it is simply the best right now. For the Iphone I just don't see any reason to get it.

#1 selling point that not a lot people pay attention to is ease of use. No rebooting OS, installing hybrids, etc.

People pick it up and know how to use it.
    06-27-12 11:50 AM
    I'll echo it again though, give it up.. name calling is mindless.
    I went ahead and cleaned up the thread, as I had already started before I saw this post. HOWEVER I echo it also!!!! I backed up my clean up with some presents to your inboxes. Not the promised bans thou, but I too am getting sick of the isheep term, and the bickering. Can't we all just enjoy our device choices? I personally enjoy 3 different platforms, BB, iOS, AND Android, and I MIGHT just end up with a Win8 phone/tablet someday too. I think the boat already passed on my owning a WebOS device, BUT hey you never know! LIVE AND LET LIVE! (Those caps were for you Adam!)
    avt123 and jclif like this.
    06-27-12 11:52 AM
    THANK YOU.

They don't pay you guys enough lol.

I got blisters on me fingers! from using Tapatalk.
    pkcable likes this.
    06-27-12 11:54 AM
    People can pick up an Android up and use it instantly too. But you are right, people use Iphones because they are a familiar experience.

06-27-12 01:01 PM
    If for no other reason than Apple to be more environmentally sensitive.
    06-27-12 05:41 PM
    They may surprise us all and just put micro USB in there, the size appears to be about right. I imagine it will be some magnetic connector though.
    06-27-12 08:19 PM
    Can't we all just get along? (Rodney "I never met a drug I didn't abuse" King)

Seriously I was thinking the other day that they've used the same dock connection for at least 6-7 years. Time for some new gear, like a football team changing colors!
    06-28-12 04:09 PM
    Don't you think Apple or some 3rd Party will make an adaptor?
    06-29-12 08:21 AM
    Don't you think Apple or some 3rd Party will make an adaptor?
    Someone will and they'll make a ton of money selling it.
    07-02-12 09:01 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD