Looking at getting my first smart phone and think the iphone might be it. Was wondering if there are any things i can try to bring my bill down.

I will be switching from verizon. I have not switched carriers in a long time is there anyway you can talk them into added some free stuff. For instance if i tell them i will switch today if they give me 1,000 text messages a month will they bite and do it? AT&T text message rates are absurd so this could save me 10 bucks a month.

In general just looking for some tips that may help cut back the cost.
    Also i am a student so ill see if they give student discounts through my university which would be nice.

Any info would be great!
    10-17-09 07:02 PM
    i think you are out of luck. unlimited texting is 20 bucks a month that is the same price as verizon. not to mention that when you buy the iphone with a new contract from at&t they are giving you the phone for 400 bucks off. that phone with out a contract sells for 600 bucks all day long
    10-18-09 06:24 AM
    The only thing I can think of that they should be able to do is waive the $18 (?) one time activation fee. lol

Just ask
    10-18-09 07:04 AM
    yeah ill try my best to get some money knocked off. Was just wondering if they would be more willing because i am a verizon customer and might switch.
    10-18-09 11:57 AM
    Yea when you are serious let them know I am serious moving right now, but I am hesitated because this is a lot of money in stake. I will sign up right now if you can include something nice inside my package for me, if they don't cooperate then ask if they can waive the activation fee off.

Also tell them you think you qualify for a premier discount with your university and they can help you with that.
    10-18-09 12:04 PM
    They are going to give u the world for just one line. The only thing you'll get is waived activation.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-09 03:30 PM
    They might try to add some monthly services free for a couple months. Like ATT Nav. They offered that to me free for 6 months, but nothing else really serious. Usually with VZW and AT&T their network and devices allow them to dictact what they want to give to you. Now if you were talking Sprint, they might give you free service for a year to switch LOL.
    10-19-09 09:16 AM
    Also - it's my understanding that the Apple stores can NOT waive activation fees - while the ATT stores can. So if you're looking to get an activation fee waived - head to the ATT store and not the Apple one.
    10-19-09 09:45 AM
    Also - it's my understanding that the Apple stores can NOT waive activation fees - while the ATT stores can. So if you're looking to get an activation fee waived - head to the ATT store and not the Apple one.
    I agree, and another thing, AT&T gives you 30 days to return while Apple gives you only 14 days (both charge a restock fee).
    You may not even like AT&T's coverage or the device!
    10-19-09 10:02 AM
    They'll always have package deals at the AT&T store as well... for me, they waived the activation fee ($35) and I got $200 worth of accessories for $65.

Also check to see if your employer/school has a deal with AT&T... I work for state government and got 15% off the plan and data charges.

Being realistic about your usage is key as well... don't get a huge plan if you know you're not going to use all the minutes every month (AT&T has rollover) and you can save $5 by taking the middle text plan (1500) instead of unlimited.
    10-19-09 05:20 PM
    i use the 450 anytime minutes plan and now have a ton of roll over minutes. i think i have upwards of 1000 minutes. i can talk when ever i want
    10-19-09 05:51 PM
    Yes, purchased my iPhone at best buy I love those guys. If you are going to school or you are working and have a work email go to atteireless.com/discounts and enter your school or work email and it will send a confirm email to your email and let you know you can get a discount.
    10-19-09 06:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD