I'm hoping this doesn't start any flames, but I honestly dont know what everyone is refering to when they say the iphone does not multitask unless jailbroken. I currently own a storm, and to try and save a flamefest, I wont comment on my impressions of it. However, I'm wanting to jump ship and more than willing to pay the ETF(even though I think verizon should actually comp me a free year of service for the past year's headaches!).

I also have an Ipod touch 8gb, one of the very first models if not the first model. When at home on my wifi network, I really dont notice anything I can't do as far as multitasking, unless maybe I just dont have the need to multitask. I might not even be multitasking with my current storm, or might be and not notice it.

Could someone give me an example at what everyone says is the downfall of the iphone and multitasking?
    07-19-09 05:58 PM
    It's all about having apps run in the background. Take the Palm Pre, they have the card system which allows you to have open apps running while using other apps. It is nice to have you messaging app open, switch to phone, then switch back to messaging and it be up to date. Plus you don't have to wait for the program to reopen. I own an iPhone and don't really have any problems, but mine is jailbroken. That is my take on it. Having background apps running while using other apps.
    07-19-09 06:07 PM
    ok so for instance, blackberry messenger....I can be using my browser and still recieve messages. Thats an example of multitasking on my storm?

So on my itouch, I can have safari open, click the buttom and open an app. Then click the botton again and click on safari and it's still on page that I left. Thats not considered multitasking? Or am I not taking this in right? On iphone do you have to completely close an app before you can open another?
    07-19-09 06:15 PM
    On the iPod/iPhone, the native apps all run in the background, but 3rd party apps don't.

Multitasking to me is being able to go back and forth with apps, quickly.

Example... If I have the music on the iPhone/iPod going and then choose to browse while continuing to listen to the music, that is multitasking. Something that I consider to be multitasking that a lot of CDMA users don't get to experience is being on the phone while receiving/sending emails, IMs, browse and other data related activities. This is capable due to 3G UMTS and/or wifi. Since CDMA BlackBerry devices have 3G EVDO and do not have wifi capabilities, they can't multitask in that sense.

I like the iPhone not being able to multitask 3rd parties as it due contribute to slow downs and crashes. I have a Bold and Pre and both do not compare. It also drains batteries. With the iPhone, there is push notifications that only deliver messages and other notifications when necessary while BlackBerry devices for example run in the background and drain the battery rapidly.

Example... I have BeeJiveIM on both iPhone and BlackBerry. Even though I'm not using the BlackBerry, just leaving it on, it drained more battery faster than my iPhone I was actually using to message.
    07-19-09 07:16 PM
    Going back to the statement I made above

Multitasking to me is being able to go back and forth with apps, quickly.
    Although 3rd party apps close when I leave them, I can get back to the same point very quickly on the 3GS. On the 3G, not as much as the processor was slower and the ram was half the amount compared to the 3GS.
    07-19-09 07:18 PM
    What Duvi said.

The iPhone multitasks all of it's native apps; which happen to be the core apps everyone has the phone for. Texting, Email, Phone Calls, Web Browsing, Music, Calendar, etc. Anything installed by a 3rd party developer (read: not Apple) will not 'multitask' but in many cases they support push notification. I have my phone jailbroken and as such have Backgrounder installed. This app allows me to multitask 3rd party apps. Won't say anything more because I might start ranting and get banned again =)
    07-19-09 07:26 PM
    So I'm really guessing for my needs I wont even notice the iphone multi tasking rants. I've wanted an Iphone from day one but have always been with verizon. And like many other's I've went with every verizon "iphone killer" release and have been greatly dissapointed on every instance.

I'm having such a hard time pulling the trigger though, my wife, and most of my friends are on verizon which will hender the "In Network" factor and get people complaining about using minutes talking w/ me...lol. I currently use my storm primarily for a phone/web browser. Not much of anything else. Opera mini and leaked OS .151 have improved the device, but it's still way behind in terms of browsing compared to my itouch. I'm guessing the iphone is the same in browsing terms.
    07-19-09 08:24 PM
    So I'm really guessing for my needs I wont even notice the iphone multi tasking rants. I've wanted an Iphone from day one but have always been with verizon. And like many other's I've went with every verizon "iphone killer" release and have been greatly dissapointed on every instance.

I'm having such a hard time pulling the trigger though, my wife, and most of my friends are on verizon which will hender the "In Network" factor and get people complaining about using minutes talking w/ me...lol. I currently use my storm primarily for a phone/web browser. Not much of anything else. Opera mini and leaked OS .151 have improved the device, but it's still way behind in terms of browsing compared to my itouch. I'm guessing the iphone is the same in browsing terms.
    If you are comparing it to the 3GS, the 3GS is definitely faster in browsing. I don't know the internals for the touch, but I know they aren't as good as the 3GS.
    07-19-09 08:45 PM
    Thanks duvi, I'm pretty much compairing my itouch browsing to my storm. I've never used an iphone, so I was just trying to get an idea on how the iphone would compare to the storm as far as web browsing goes. I know the wifi has alot to do with it on my touch, but I'm certain browsing would be much more enjoyable with an iphone.
    07-19-09 09:09 PM
    I was in the same boat as you. I have been with Verizon for longer then I care to remember. I bought into all the hype that the verizon network is sooooo much better, and that ATT sucks.

One day I just got fed up with the storm, and pissed at every coworker with an Iphone enjoying their device as I sit there and wait 7-9 min for the phone to reboot b/c I wanted to take a pic. I walked into an ATT store and just ordered one and picked it up a few days later. I kept my old number with verizon. I was going to give ATT 30 days to win me over. 2 days later, I went and got my verizon number ported over, and am done with verizon. The reason I waited two days was b/c ATT store was closed on sunday.

Just go get the phone and try it out. If it doesn't work for you take it back within 30 days. I can almost guarantee that you wont.
    Last edited by Duvi; 07-19-09 at 09:58 PM. Reason: updated from 14 to 30 days.
    07-19-09 09:21 PM
    I was in the same boat as you. I have been with Verizon for longer then I care to remember. I bought into all the hype that the verizon network is sooooo much better, and that ATT sucks.

One day I just got fed up with the storm, and pissed at every coworker with an Iphone enjoying their device as I sit there and wait 7-9 min for the phone to reboot b/c I wanted to take a pic. I walked into an ATT store and just ordered one and picked it up a few days later. I kept my old number with verizon. I was going to give ATT 30 days to win me over. 2 days later, I went and got my verizon number ported over, and am done with verizon. The reason I waited two days was b/c ATT store was closed on sunday.

Just go get the phone and try it out. If it doesn't work for you take it back within 30 days. I can almost guarantee that you wont.
    i did the same exact thing lol i had an itouch first gen i would always compare to my storm lol.

but yea blackberry multitasking would be playing a game hitting the end button and send a text and go bak into the game you were playing or switch through the menu without going back to the home screen.

honestly it can be quite annoying if you are in a game or using an app and have to close out and go to the menu and send a text and go back but it really is not that big of a deal if you compare the iphone to the storm the iphone is a much better touch screen device. go get yourself an iphone the web browser cant be beat and the 3gs is much faster than the itouch 1g or 2g

now comparing a qwerty BB to the iphone can be trickier since a physical keyboard is great. but if your a fan of touchscreen's imo the iphone cant be beat.

if RIM would just learn to give all devices onboard memory like the bold and storm an additional gig to store apps and not have to use the ram for apps the BB's biggest flaw imo.
    07-20-09 12:14 AM

Yep but, definitely make sure that the coverage in your area is good before you pay the ETF with verizon and then in case the coverage of ATT in your area sucks, you will have to go back to them...
    If I remember correctly, even if you need to go back to verizon, they will waive the ETF and the activation if you are back in 3 months...

Heck who wants to go back if coverage is good with ATT anyway...
    07-21-09 07:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD