With the 9700 just around the corner anyone plan on dumping their iPhone?

I'd like to give it a try, it looks awesome and BBM and better battery life are something I've always wanted, it's probably not worth losing Safari over, but I still want one. Maybe this is one of those the grass is always greener scenarios. Anyone else plan on jumping the Apple ship?
    11-14-09 12:45 PM
    I know how exactly you feel. It may not be worth losing Safari over, but it sure is worth a try. I had a BB for about 3 1/2 years up until June when I got an iPhone 3GS. The only thing I would miss about the iPhone is the killer Safari browser and I do a lot of browsing. The BB browser and third party browsers do the job though. I handled a dummy unit in a T-Mobile store the other day. The 9700 is hot!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-14-09 12:55 PM
    same here got my first iphone in June with the 3GS launch. Great phone ,great OS, but doing more email lately I need a real keyboard. I have big hands and the on screen drives me nuts sometimes.

Ill def be picking up a ipod touch on ebay though to stay with the OS and my apps. No question there, the apps and media is unmatched and the ipod can do all the same things except the phone part, which I think is the biggest downfall to the iphone anyways. IMO speaker and earpiece volume are just too low for me even at max volume except a silent room, and Im still pretty young at 28 so my hearing isnt bad at all.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 11-14-09 at 03:31 PM.
    11-14-09 03:27 PM
    I'm not going to be jumping ship, but I will be getting the new Bold. I already SIM swap between the 9000 and the 3GS, so I will just SIM swap between the 9700 and the 3GS.
    11-14-09 03:29 PM
    If I could afford to keep both I def would, but thats nearing $1000 in phones between the 2. For me it makes more sense to get both the 9700 and ipod touch for near the price the iphone goes for, instead of dropping another $450 out of pocket.

Since the 9700 is only $449 full price, I can easily sell my 3GS on ebay and cover the 9700 cost plus half the cost a used 8GB ipod touch (theyre going for around $150-200 or so for the previous version not the 3GS hardware new one). Im sure I could pull $500-550 for unlocked/jailbroken 3GS on 3.1.2 having the old bootloader and baseband

This way I can have my keyboard and BBM, and having BIS, still have access to exchange/gmail folders on the ipod with wifi since Im always around wifi. Best of both world situation.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 11-14-09 at 03:41 PM.
    11-14-09 03:33 PM
    Seems like we're all in the same boat, I like my iPhone, I just want something different. If I'm lucky Ill be able to afford both though.

Since the 9700 is only $449 full price
    Really?
    11-14-09 03:59 PM
    SIM swapping sounds like a great idea. How hard is it to switch data plans? BB data plan to iPhone data plan and vice versa.

I'm not going to be jumping ship, but I will be getting the new Bold. I already SIM swap between the 9000 and the 3GS, so I will just SIM swap between the 9700 and the 3GS.
    11-14-09 04:01 PM
    Seems like we're all in the same boat, I like my iPhone, I just want something different. If I'm lucky Ill be able to afford both though.

Really?
    supposedly from what people are saying in the 9700 section. The Tmo 9700 is $449 no contract so...
    11-14-09 04:03 PM
    I wouldn't do that. There is a reason I came to the iphone in the first place. Unless another manufacturer comes out with something that completely blows my mind, I will be with the iPhone.

11-14-09 05:17 PM
    I'm dumping my unlocked 3GS for the Bold. The phone aspect of the iphone really pisses me off. I too will get a ipod touch and have the 9700 as my daily mobile device.

I'm excited for 3G. You may ask why I don't just go to AT&T and keep the iPhone? I don't want to pay $100 a month and T-Mobiles 3G is quicker.
    11-14-09 06:54 PM
    SIM swapping sounds like a great idea. How hard is it to switch data plans? BB data plan to iPhone data plan and vice versa.
    Not hard at all, all you have to do is switch your device and change features on AT&Ts website, or call and have them do it. Or you can just keep your BB data plan because it works with the iPhone.
    11-14-09 07:19 PM
    supposedly from what people are saying in the 9700 section. The Tmo 9700 is $449 no contract so...
    I hope that holds true for AT&T so I don't have to renew the contract on my other line. I don't feel like spending $600+ but I like my devices so I just might anyways if that's the case. Worse comes to worse I can just sell my iPhone because I will get the new one anyways next year, and I already have an iPod Touch.
    11-14-09 07:22 PM
    So, the BB data plan does work with the iPhone? I will be able to use the email app and access the internet via Safari?

Not hard at all, all you have to do is switch your device and change features on AT&Ts website, or call and have them do it. Or you can just keep your BB data plan because it works with the iPhone.
    11-14-09 07:54 PM
    Nope I am not dumping the iPhone. I'm not getting another blackberry until they do something with the OS. Every blackberry being released is basically the same. This a Tour for GSM.
    11-14-09 07:59 PM
    I'm going to go with no. I had the choice between the 3GS and the 9700. I made my choice, and I am extremely happy. I couldn't justify spending 650+ for a tour with a trackpad. It just made no sense for me to do so. I need a break from blackberry until they release something that will be revolutionary.

11-14-09 09:59 PM
    I'm going to go with no. I had the choice between the 3GS and the 9700. I made my choice, and I am extremely happy. I couldn't justify spending 650+ for a tour with a trackpad. It just made no sense for me to do so. I need a break from blackberry until they release something that will be revolutionary.

I totally agree!
    11-14-09 10:13 PM
    I've read too many reviews and feedback saying the 9700 is EXACTLY like the Bold only smaller. So for me it's "no thanks". I can't deal with the out dated OS, crazy slow browser (even with 3rd party apps), and a massive - massive - lack of any decent apps for even the most basic features (Twittter, FaceBook, etc).
    11-15-09 07:02 AM
    Nope I am not dumping the iPhone. I'm not getting another blackberry until they do something with the OS.
    My thoughts exactly! It was RIM's outdated OS and unreliable BIS which made me jump from the 8900 to my 3GS in the first place. I was running Beta 5.0 too so the 9700 will have nothing new to offer (hardware aside).
    Must try harder.

11-15-09 08:52 AM
    The grass is always greener... Everyone I know with an iPhone wants a blackberry and all the blackberry users that have switched to the iPhone aren't going back. As former BB users aren't you disappointed by the battery life?

11-15-09 10:27 AM
    Before I returned my iPhone 3G, I'd always be worried about playing games or surfing the web when I was out because of its bad battery life. A simple solution to this would have been to keep both an 8900 and an iPod Touch. The battery life on my Curve is the best I've seen on any smartphone. The Touch is basically the iPhone, minus the phone and that's actually good because the iPhone's phone features are where it fails.
    Everyone suggests the BB/iPod Touch combo but I have both an iPhone and a 2G iPod touch, and maybe it's because of the generation difference but I don't find the experience between the two as similar as everyone makes it sound. I had the iPod touch first and pretty much dumped it once I got the iPhone. The louder, better quality speaker, the vibrate feature for IM clients, the camera and the microphone (and the better processor and display because of the generation difference) make it a much more enjoyable device.

I agree with the call quality on the iPhone being bad though.
    11-15-09 10:51 AM
    So, the BB data plan does work with the iPhone? I will be able to use the email app and access the internet via Safari?
    Yes it will work. I use a BB data plan with both my iPhone and Bold.
    11-15-09 01:35 PM
    I'll actually most likely dump my current Bold 9000 for a 9700 when the
    price is right. I'm keeping my 3GS for sure.
    11-15-09 01:42 PM
    I'm jumping ship, keeping my 3GS and getting rid of my Storm for the HTC Passion if/when it drops. The Storm will be my last BB until RIM brings the platform current with the competition.
    11-16-09 10:39 AM
    You guys must have $ coming out of your a$$es with going back and forth..
    11-16-09 12:10 PM
    You guys must have $ coming out of your a$$es with going back and forth..
    Not really, selling one to buy another is always an option and usually ends up netting a very small loss or even a gain of a few bucks.

11-16-09 12:47 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD