I just became an iPhone owner, after lusting for two years, last night.
    One of the golden things about my Curve, however, was the instant alert (and different tone) when an Email came to my Gmail inbox.
    It seems that I have to open Mail on the home screen to see if any new Emails have come. It's gotten me a little annoyed, since I feel like an addict, often opening and reloading.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-25-09 06:30 PM
    From what I understand, there are two types of accounts that have push capabilities on the iPhone. One is Yahoo Mail, and the other is Apple's subscription based MobileMe.

Blackberries offer push email on all accounts right out of the box, which is why you're probably a little frustrated.

I think the only way you'd get push email with gmail at this time is to pay for MobileMe ($100 a year) and foward your gmail to your MobileMe account.

Otherwise, you're stuck with going into "Settings", "Mail, Contacts, Calendars", "Fetch New Data", and set the interval at which you wish your phone to check the server for new messages.

At the moment, the shortest interval provided is checking every fifteen minutes. If you jailbreak your phone, Supreme Preferences 3.0 offers the ability to check for mail every minute, although I wouldn't recommend this since it's sure to drain your battery fairly quickly.
    Last edited by kaioken92; 07-25-09 at 07:57 PM.
    07-25-09 07:54 PM
    Until Apple/GMail pull their finger out, try, this.

I use it, and like it. But, there is an application called GPush. It's been submitted to Apple, still waiting for them to approve it. Can't see that happening since they, Apple that is, are probably trying to keep on pushing Mobile ME. I have that too, and it's not bad, but can kill the battery quickly. And no, the iPhone battery doesn't seem to last anywhere as long as a BlackBerry battery (I have a BOLD, too)
    07-26-09 12:11 AM
    I've always had a very good experience with gmail.. I didn't have to open mail to know I had mail. I always received notifications.. imap on gmail is great. I use .me though and its awesome!
    07-26-09 07:17 PM
    I've always had a very good experience with gmail.. I didn't have to open mail to know I had mail. I always received notifications.. imap on gmail is great. I use .me though and its awesome!
    Same. It was great.
    07-26-09 07:25 PM
    Regardless of IMAP or regular (pop) on the iPhone, Gmail won't do a true push like a Blackberry will. The best you can do without a jailbreak is to check for mail every 15 minutes, which I think is pretty good.

One other thing you can do is set up a Yahoo Mail account, have all your Gmail forward to that Yahoo account and push that Yahoo account to your phone, esssentially pushing the Gmail mail to your phone. It seems a little tedious though.
    07-27-09 10:59 AM
    So yahoo pushes to iphone just like a bb? I'm new iphone user and learning after a year with a curve

08-11-09 04:35 PM
    So yahoo pushes to iphone just like a bb? I'm new iphone user and learning after a year with a curve

Yes it does.
    08-11-09 06:11 PM
    O sweet!! now I doubt ill miss anything from my bb

08-11-09 06:14 PM
    So as long as I have a yahoo email they get pushed automatically? Or do I have to do somethin

08-11-09 06:24 PM
    So as long as I have a yahoo email they get pushed automatically? Or do I have to do somethin

Make sure its set up to push and not fetch.
    08-11-09 06:53 PM
    Gunna sound ******** but how do I turn off fetch and turn on push

08-11-09 06:55 PM
    Gunna sound ******** but how do I turn off fetch and turn on push

Settings -> Mail, Contacts, & Calenders -> Fetch New Data

Yes, Yahoo! is the only free push email that works with the iPhone (that I know of), however, it's ability to push is somewhat unreliable. I would say it only "pushes" about 50% of the time.
    08-11-09 09:14 PM
    O better than 0% and it's frree

08-11-09 09:18 PM
    O better than 0% and it's frree

true and that's what most say. the thing I don't like about Yahoo! the most is that it puts ads at the end your emails.
    08-11-09 09:45 PM
    Well for free they got to make money somehow

08-11-09 09:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD