Pretty dedicated BlackBerry guy in the past but too many bugs and problems with the 5.0 OS. Any thoughts on when T-Mobile will get the iPhone? I realize you can jailbreak an AT&T iPhone but I'm also aware that if you do this, you'll not get T-Mobile 3G service.

So there have been rumors about T-Mobile getting the iPhone. Any thoughts about when?
    01-24-10 01:53 PM
    It would make sense for T-Mobile to get the iPhone since it's the other major GSM network in the US other than ATT, but I don't see that happening. ATT is not stupid. They will lock up a longer contract with Apple. I'll just keep using my 3g iPhone with T-Mobile. I may switch to ATT when the 4g iPhone comes out in the summer. My contract will be up in July of this year.
    Last edited by SoxfaninFL; 01-24-10 at 03:34 PM.
    01-24-10 03:22 PM
    If it goes anywhere else it would be Verizon. Apple would most likely want the iPhone on the 2 largest networks. And it's not up to AT&T whether they can lock up a new contract, most likely that's Apple decision. They have all the power in the matter because they have the device. I doubt it goes to tmobile anytime soon. It also doesn't make it more likely because it's a GSM network. Has nothing to do with that. For the past couple years, the iPhone has been getting killed because of AT&T's network. With that said, you think they are going to go to a network with a more inferior data network? Probably not. As stated, if it goes anywhere, it will be Verizon so it would be on the 2 largest networks. It may be years before we see one actually released on Tmobile and Sprint.
    01-24-10 03:32 PM
    If it goes anywhere else it would be Verizon. Apple would most likely want the iPhone on the 2 largest networks. And it's not up to AT&T whether they can lock up a new contract, most likely that's Apple decision. They have all the power in the matter because they have the device. I doubt it goes to tmobile anytime soon. It also doesn't make it more likely because it's a GSM network. Has nothing to do with that. For the past couple years, the iPhone has been getting killed because of AT&T's network. With that said, you think they are going to go to a network with a more inferior data network? Probably not. As stated, if it goes anywhere, it will be Verizon so it would be on the 2 largest networks. It may be years before we see one actually released on Tmobile and Sprint.
    I can't see apple making a CDMA version of the iPhone. Plus ATT will probaby enough money at Apple to keep the phone.
    01-24-10 04:29 PM
    I can only hope that tmo will get an iphone. I'm still deciding to make the switch from bb to iphone.
    01-24-10 06:08 PM
    I can't see apple making a CDMA version of the iPhone. Plus ATT will probaby enough money at Apple to keep the phone.
    You're fooling yourself if you think Apple doesn't want to expand in the US and stay with one carrier. SOONER or LATER it will be available on another carrier. Maybe not this year, but it will happen. No way they will remain on one network and expect to keep growing at this pace. It's not far fetched that they would make a CDMA version for VZW. They've already been ordering those chips (most believe it's for other carriers outside the US), but the point is they have been investing in hardware that supports CDMA. It's just business. AT&T can do nothing about it. The decision would be Apple's. And with devices that run Android popping on every carrier, Apple knows that to continue dominance you have to open up to the other hundreds of millions in the US.
    01-24-10 06:31 PM
    I am laughing at thinking the Iphone is going to T-mobile. The network would get crushed beyond repair.
    01-24-10 07:36 PM
    I currently have sprint as my work phone BB 8830, and the reception sucks. I've had ATT before, and the phone service was good. I can't complain I am happy with T-Mobile now for 10 years. My sister and dad had Verizon, and both switched to T-Mobile because T-Mobile was cheaper. Verizon is expensive, and I have heard others complain about their customer service. Verizon also stinks that you can't talk and surf the web with their 3g network. You can with ATT. Also, I have a part time employee that works for me in the evenings because Verizon pays her badly. Plus that company has been outsourcing the jobs when they are number one cell carrier. That doesn't make sense. If the company was struggling then I could see that. If the iPhone goes to Verizon, that is the one carrier I will not switch to.
    01-24-10 10:03 PM
    I am laughing at thinking the Iphone is going to T-mobile. The network would get crushed beyond repair.
    And CNet is laughing at the AT&T network which they think is a joke. Consumer Reports also thinks AT&T's prowess is a joke and yet again awarded them with the worst carrier in the USA award.

Confucius say ... "Man with real crappy network provider might want to keep mouth quiet or else look real silly."
    01-24-10 10:35 PM
    Verizon also stinks that you can't talk and surf the web with their 3g network. You can with ATT.
    This is not an AT&T special although they claim it is. But then AT&T makes a lot of claims that all don't hold up.

The ability to talk and surf is a GSM advantage and T-Mobile offers the same capability.
    01-24-10 10:49 PM
    I can't see apple making a CDMA version of the iPhone.
    Verizon has all but admitted over the long term that they will move to GSM. Your prediction that Apple won't make a CDMA version is a good call.
    01-24-10 10:51 PM
    This is not an AT&T special although they claim it is. But then AT&T makes a lot of claims that all don't hold up.

The ability to talk and surf is a GSM advantage and T-Mobile offers the same capability.
    No it's not. The ability to talk and surf is the ability of AT&T's 3G network, which is not plain jane GSM technology. When you're out of the 3G coverage area and you're doing just EDGE, you can't talk and surf at the same time.

Luke Wilson has been serving you some warm koolaid and you drank it.
    01-25-10 11:30 AM
    Verizon has all but admitted over the long term that they will move to GSM. Your prediction that Apple won't make a CDMA version is a good call.
    Verizon is not moving to GSM, they are moving to LTE, and when that happens, only their data network will be LTE, CDMA will remain live for older phones and also for the voice side of things. Years later, they may go full LTE, but by then, something else might come out in terms of wireless protocol/radio technologies.
    01-25-10 11:32 AM
    No it's not. The ability to talk and surf is the ability of AT&T's 3G network, which is not plain jane GSM technology.
    BS.

I have the same capability on my T-Mobile 9700 and so does every other T-Mobile subscriber.

You are not posting accurate information.

Luke Wilson has been serving you some warm koolaid and you drank it.
    Opps, that Kool Aid film is staining your lips. LOL.

Ya gotta love these AT&T Kool Aid drinkers. Funny how they never have an answer as to why CNet thinks their network is a joke or why Consumer Reports awards them the worst carrier in the USA designation year in and year out.
    01-25-10 12:56 PM
    Verizon is not moving to GSM, they are moving to LTE, and when that happens, only their data network will be LTE, CDMA will remain live for older phones and also for the voice side of things. Years later, they may go full LTE, but by then, something else might come out in terms of wireless protocol/radio technologies.
    Are you just here looking to pick fights?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

LTE

Long Term Evolution (LTE) is the next step from 3G/WCDMA & HSPA for many already on the GSM technology curve but also for others too, such as CDMA operators. This new radio access technology will be optimized to deliver very fast data speeds of up to 100Mb/s downlink and 50Mb/s uplink (peak rates).

Designed to be backwards-compatible with GSM and HSPA, LTE incorporates Multiple In Multiple Out (MIMO) in combination with Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiple Access (OFDMA) in the downlink and Single Carrier FDMA in the uplink to provide high levels of spectral efficiency and end user data rates exceeding 100 Mbps, coupled with major improvements in capacity and reductions in latency. LTE will support channel bandwidths from 1.25 MHz to 20 MHz and both FDD and TDD operation.

Although both LTE and WiMAX use the OFDMA air interface, LTE has the advantage of being backwards compatible with existing GSM and HSPA networks, enabling mobile operators deploying LTE to continue to provide a seamless service across LTE and existing deployed networks.

Several major mobile operators, including some running CDMA networks today, have indicated they will adopt LTE in the next few years. Japanese mobile operator NTT DOCOMO has said that it is aiming to launch a commercial LTE network by the end of 2009, while in the U.S., the largest CDMA operator, Verizon Wireless, is currently trialing LTE with a view to launching a commercial LTE service in 2010.
    01-25-10 01:03 PM
    ATT is not stupid. They will lock up a longer contract with Apple.
    CNet and many others think that AT&T's network is a joke.

Strong rumors are all over that AT&T will lose their iPhone exclusivity in the not-too-distant future.

Hot Apple Rumor: AT&T to Lose Its iPhone Exclusive This Week - DailyFinance
    01-25-10 01:08 PM
    Rumor is just that.... RUMORS Until you see concrete information, quit posting this crap. Every week, every day and every minute someone posts the same crap, just from different resources. Until wednesday, which is in two days, we will find out more information.... and maybe we won't.

You guys keep posting the same darn thing every day..... Just quit until you receive CONCRETE info... about the iPhone going to X company. Until then, it's staying with AT&T.

End of Story.
    01-25-10 05:02 PM
    Rumor is just that.... RUMORS Until you see concrete information, quit posting this crap. Every week, every day and every minute someone posts the same crap, just from different resources. Until wednesday, which is in two days, we will find out more information.... and maybe we won't.

You guys keep posting the same darn thing every day..... Just quit until you receive CONCRETE info... about the iPhone going to X company. Until then, it's staying with AT&T.

End of Story.
    The OP didn't post a rumor. He was just wondering if there was any sort of
    news or info on T-Mobile possibly getting the iPhone. Relax there chico.
    01-25-10 07:08 PM
    BS.

I have the same capability on my T-Mobile 9700 and so does every other T-Mobile subscriber.

You are not posting accurate information.
    She is accurate. You said it is a GSM ability. So that means, by your statement, EDGE networks can do it too. yes Tmobile can have simultaneous voice and data, as long as the device is connected to a 3G connection.

So again, she wasn't wrong, you just generalized.

And enough with the carrier wars. I swear every thread I see your name in you are constantly bashing AT&T. We don't think AT&T sucks because it works of US. I don't give a **** what CNet says. I have perfect coverage all across New York, and that's all that matters.

You like Tmobile, and that's great. To bad, by me (even in a Tmobile coverage zone), Tmobiles coverage is horrible. Tmobile also has little coverage to begin with, but do you hear me bashing them? No, because I don't give a **** about a network I do not use. What I am pissed about is that Tmobile keeps on getting all the new Android devices. Great devices on the nations 4th (or 3rd whatever it is) largest carrier is upsetting.
    01-25-10 08:45 PM
    She is accurate.
    Not at all. She claimed it was some sort of a special feature of some advanced programming of AT&T's network. Balderdash. Nonsense.

And enough with the carrier wars. I swear every thread I see your name in you are constantly bashing AT&T.
    Webster's definition of "bashing:" a harsh, gratuitous, predjudicial attack on a person, group or subject.

Since when is telling the truth harsh or gratuitious or predjudical? Telling the truth is just telling the truth. And the truth is that AT&T gets horrible ratings from CNet, Consumer Reports and other services. If you don't like that, take it up with AT&T and tell them to clean up their act.

Tmobiles coverage is horrible. Tmobile also has little coverage to begin with, but do you hear me bashing them?
    Yes, you just did. And while I report facts (specifying CNet and Consumer Reports published findings) you offer personal opinions without any basis in research or published findings.
    01-26-10 12:15 AM
    The OP didn't post a rumor. He was just wondering if there was any sort of
    news or info on T-Mobile possibly getting the iPhone. Relax there chico.
    Oh no, not the OP
    I'm talking about the same people that post the same stuff "AT&T is lame" or "AT&T has ****ty network".
    Honestly though, T-Mo technically already has the iPhone by unlocking it... so it shouldnt really matter if they do/don't get it.

I guess I'm just tired of the same haters on AT&T stating other companies will rarely have issues being on a different network, and that the iphone is better off X company... or just the same useless threads each.. time... posting about the same useless crap (not so much towards the OPer)
    01-26-10 07:50 AM
    Not at all. She claimed it was some sort of a special feature of some advanced programming of AT&T's network. Balderdash. Nonsense.
    Once again, No. She said it is a benefit of "AT&T's 3G' network. Meaning you cannot do it on EDGE. You generalized and said it was just a GSM ability. So again, you are wrong.

Webster's definition of "bashing:" a harsh, gratuitous, predjudicial attack on a person, group or subject.

Since when is telling the truth harsh or gratuitious or predjudical? Telling the truth is just telling the truth. And the truth is that AT&T gets horrible ratings from CNet, Consumer Reports and other services. If you don't like that, take it up with AT&T and tell them to clean up their act.
    Should I look up urban dictionary's definition of "tool" for you? You are speaking bull**** media hype, and you bought into it. The media makes it seem like AT&T sucks everywhere and sucks for everyone. Well guess what, it doesn't. There are people here on the forums that love AT&T and love the service they provide them and gladly disagree with CNet.

I don't need to tell AT&T to clean up their act. They work great for me.

Yes, you just did. And while I report facts (specifying CNet and Consumer Reports published findings) you offer personal opinions without any basis in research or published findings.
    No, that wasn't bashing, that was the same "truth" you speak of. Look at a coverage map and see for yourself. They do not have the same amount or anywhere near the same amount as AT&T. I don't need to specify anything, look on Tmobiles website, then look on AT&Ts, or is that too hard for you to do?
    Unsupported Browser
    AT&T Coverage Viewer

Tmobile has "fair" coverage at best, according to there own map in most places. Data coverage (both EDGE and 3G) is even worse.

I do not want this to turn into a carrier war, as I really do not care. I am happy with my coverage and you are happy with yours, so let's leave it at that. Just stop the bashing, because it gets old.

EDIT- It wont let me post Tmobiles coverage map. You can find it easily by going to the home page.
    Last edited by avt123; 01-26-10 at 11:44 AM.
    01-26-10 11:41 AM
    Once again, No. She said it is a benefit of "AT&T's 3G' network. Meaning you cannot do it on EDGE. You generalized and said it was just a GSM ability. So again, you are wrong.
    Nope. Right as rain here.

Please identify for us the name of any nationwide GSM carrier in the United States who does NOT have this capability. Post your nationwide GSM carrier names here --->

Should I look up urban dictionary's definition of "tool" for you?
    Not necessary but you might want to look up forum rules. Personal insults are against forum rules. Please acquaint yourself with the rules.

I don't need to tell AT&T to clean up their act. They work great for me.
    Cool Some people made money with Bernie Madoff too. That doesn't mean his press releases are wrong.

I do not want this to turn into a carrier war
    Sure ya do. That's all you are doing. It's gotten old too. Have a good day.
    01-26-10 06:00 PM
    Nope. Right as rain here.

Please identify for us the name of any nationwide GSM carrier in the United States who does NOT have this capability. Post your nationwide GSM carrier names here --->
    They all have the capability, no one said they didn't. You said GSM technology in general allows for it. Meaning, GPRS and EDGE connections can do it too, which they cannot.

Not necessary but you might want to look up forum rules. Personal insults are against forum rules. Please acquaint yourself with the rules.
    Ouch, pulling out the old rule book. I didn't personally attack you or call you a name. You might reread what I said. Sarcasm works wonders to those who are ignorant towards it.

Cool Some people made money with Bernie Madoff too. That doesn't mean his press releases are wrong.
    And the media tends to over exaggerate things as well. If AT&Ts network was as bad as they claimed it to be, the network would no longer exist. But we don't see that happening, do we?

Sure ya do. That's all you are doing. It's gotten old too. Have a good day.
    No I didn't, you came in here saying AT&T is garbage with all your "truth". Someone said Tmobile's network would get crushed, which I'm sure a lot of people have agreed with, and even questioned Verizons network being able to handle it, and if they were questioning Verizon, who has probably 10x more coverage and better of a network than Tmobile, that tells you something. So you automatically had to attack the opposing network that HAS the device.

Yes, have a good day and good riddance. Every damn thread you are in you are bashing AT&T, I guess you get off to that type of drama. I should have known better.

And btw, Civic is way more knowledgeable about these subjects than you are, no matter how good you are at using Google search.
    01-26-10 06:52 PM
    You said GSM technology in general allows for it. Meaning, GPRS and EDGE connections can do it too, which they cannot.
    What I exactly said was the following ...

You keep claiming that I said something I did not. I never said anything about Edge or GPRS. I said that T-Mobile has the same capability as AT&T and that AT&T lies and claims only they have it.

Your agenda here is all about is picking fights and, in that it is, you and Civic are welcome to that agenda.

If you are an honest individual, you will publicly correct and apologize for your false claims.

And now I also must insist that you STOP hijacking this thread. It was posted for serious debate about T-Mobile and the iPhone, not your personal agenda items. If the hijacking continues, I'll ask for Mod intervention.
    01-26-10 07:09 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD