I dont know, I consider OS6 and OS7 moving forward from OS5 (heck RIM was on 4.5 or 4.6 when the iPhone came out). They are quite different IMO. ****, they added a Webkit browser. That was a HUGE complaint and RIM did address this. Granted, a bit late (probably a year atleast) but it came and it keeps getting better. Have you seen the video of the 9900 running the browser vs the 9780? Looks promising. Not to mention how good QNX's browser is, but that's OT to this point.

Yes, I agree it is extremely wise for RIM to move on to QNX, but what exactly is iOS doing that BB OS cannot
    ?
    Capturing the attention (and MONEY) of most consumers. that's all. (and "NO" I am not an Apple fan)
    06-08-11 03:54 PM
    Did you hear about iMessage?
    06-09-11 05:00 AM
    yeah..cause the iphone was one of the first devices to integrate a full touch screen. yep. they're HUGE copy cats. :roll eyes:

lol
    06-09-11 05:35 AM
    Whats funny is the OP meant the END OF RIM.............
    06-09-11 06:31 AM
    Because BB OS has been around for years and it tried and true? Of course iOS had to add features at a rapid pace, look at all the basic functionality that was lacking at launch. iOS JUST added a proper notification system. I mean, come on. iOS does not even offer true multitasking, and if your going to make some argument that BB OS cannot do true multitasking either, it can do a lot more tasks at once than iOS is capable of. Add in 3rd party App multitasking and its not even fair for iOS. BB OS has had that before the iOS was even launched on an iPhone.

Its easy to throw around that BB OS is dated and incapable, but I'd love for you to really explain it. What core functionality does iOS have that BB OS is just not capable of? People act like BB OS cannot text message or something.

What has Apple done that could not have been done in 2007?

That's the genius of it. There are so many companies competing with the same service, but the most popular one is the one that has mastered it.

Take google.com for example. Why is it the most popular search engine? Because it's the fastest and best. That's why bing fails. Bing can do everything google.com does, but without the efficiency and speed.

Now look at Apple. The iphone 4 doesn't have any specs that blow anything away. In fact, it is actually behind android devices in terms of specs. But most of what the iphone 4 does, it does beautifully. That is why it succeeds. Blackberry can do everything, pretty much, an iphone 4 can, but the ip4 just does it so much better, more efficient, and faster.
    howarmat and scorpiodsu like this.
    06-09-11 06:47 AM

Now look at Apple. The iphone 4 doesn't have any specs that blow anything away. In fact, it is actually behind android devices in terms of specs. But most of what the iphone 4 does, it does beautifully. That is why it succeeds. Blackberry can do everything, pretty much, an iphone 4 can, but the ip4 just does it so much better, more efficient, and faster.
    exactly. the RIM internet cant' touch iphone internet. I've had 4 BBs and would never go back because of the quality of email and internet on the iphone.
    06-09-11 04:05 PM
    That's the genius of it. There are so many companies competing with the same service, but the most popular one is the one that has mastered it.

Take google.com for example. Why is it the most popular search engine? Because it's the fastest and best. That's why bing fails. Bing can do everything google.com does, but without the efficiency and speed.

Exactly. Ease of use, simplicity and user experience is huge and this is something that Apple focuses most of it's time and energy on. I think a lot of people underestimate how important that is to people. So whether they do something late or if other platforms can do it, Apple makes their platforms do it easier and in many cases better. Android still doesn't have a good front facing camera chat client that people can agree on. So while they have had the FFC first, it does not matter because they have not made an easy way for users to use the feature. And that's just one example.
    06-09-11 04:50 PM
    This thread is hilarious. Apple is not going anywhere but up.
    06-09-11 08:42 PM
    Steve jobs will be quite disturbed when he reads this, all this time he thought his company was doing well.
    06-10-11 04:34 AM
    right i'm sure he'll have to get on his private jet he flew to vacation in the bahamas at a 5-star resort just to go back to the office and say "WTF GUYS?!"
    06-10-11 03:50 PM
    Yeah Steve was freaked out when he saw this:

Apple, iPhone and iPad Forums at ModMyi - iPhone 4 Ousts BlackBerry For Top Spot
    06-10-11 05:37 PM
    So let's see, what have rim purchased recently. Webkit browser (apple technology that was made open source), QNX, TAT, a social gaming company. All of these purchased to copy/keep up with apple. Does that mean RIM is going away?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    06-11-11 08:56 AM
    rim isn't going anywhere anytime soon this also applies for Google, Microsoft, and defiantly apple. (palm may be another story)

while RIM and Microsoft's market share will continue to dwindle i don't see them going anywhere. Apple and Google are and will continue to be the front runner of the market for a significant time to come.
    06-11-11 09:33 AM
    Do you think consumers care if their phone does multitasking or app switching? Nope.

I'm no developer, but the APIs are their (from what I read, take it for what it's worth) to write your apps to multitask like you suggest. Apple doesn't say who can and can't do it.

BTW, what are you multitasking on a BB? Brick breaker?

-Kang

Love when Apple-defensive types make comments like this.

But Simple people don't care about how it works! As long as I can listen to my music and look at pictures and maybe occasionally use my lightsabre app I don't care!

There's no argument here, the iPhone will always be for 'consumers' and RIM will continue to make phones for people who need to get work done. There's no other phone in the world that I can type an e-mail at 80 WPM whilst walking down a busy downtown sidewalk.
    06-24-11 02:19 PM
    Love when Apple-defensive types make comments like this.

But Simple people don't care about how it works! As long as I can listen to my music and look at pictures and maybe occasionally use my lightsabre app I don't care!

There's no argument here, the iPhone will always be for 'consumers' and RIM will continue to make phones for people who need to get work done. There's no other phone in the world that I can type an e-mail at 80 WPM whilst walking down a busy downtown sidewalk.
    In between battery pulls and a sub-par browser. I get a boatload of work done as a Systems Analyst in a Large corporation with my iPhone. Does your BB let you VPN into the enterprise RDP to a computer and fix it for free? When it does come back and try again. And typing 80 wpm while walking down the street sounds like thats a lot of work getting done.

And rocking the fart app on a BB thats productive. If the BB is so great why are they bleeding employees and Market Share.
    I can reboot my servers with a nice size screen.
    And in my business I can access my PACS with the iPhone BB's can't.

Let me send you an email that has a large attachment and some text in the body. How's that truncated mail workin' out for you?

it's all about preference.
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 06-24-11 at 05:01 PM.
    mrsadkins9399 likes this.
    06-24-11 04:56 PM
    In between battery pulls and a sub-par browser. I get a boatload of work done as a Systems Analyst in a Large corporation with my iPhone. Does your BB let you VPN into the enterprise RDP to a computer and fix it for free? When it does come back and try again. And typing 80 wpm while walking down the street sounds like thats a lot of work getting done.

And rocking the fart app on a BB thats productive. If the BB is so great why are they bleeding employees and Market Share.

Let me send you an email that has a large attachment and some text in the body. How's that truncated mail workin' out for you?

Well said!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    06-25-11 02:00 AM

Can't reboot on iPhone here need playbook for VPN access. But two years ago bb was inside firewall policy changed though. Could do all that crap, you make it sound like iPhone was there first not.

Let me send you a large contract requiring heavy review and editing how's that working on your iPhone? It's clearly not working on my bb or iPad.

There are always things these devices can't do. The large screen on the iPad is an advantage using rdp, which is available on bb as well. Today rdp is all I need don't need a VPN.

With the exception of the editing as a road warrior my bb iPad and laptop covers every situation. I would not give up my s2, for an iPhone. I hate the way it manages email.

And while your bashing bb for what it can't do, if memory serves at least the playbook browser supports upload and download.

And finally typing on my s2 is far easier than typing on the iPad.
    Last edited by i7guy; 06-25-11 at 08:29 AM.
    06-25-11 07:42 AM
    Typing on my iPhone is far easier than typing on an iPad. What is your point? Typing on a smartphone is pretty much expected to be faster than typing on a tablet.
    06-25-11 10:23 AM
    There is no point other than ease of use and capabilities.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-11 12:03 PM
    That's what it all comes down to...the bottom line. I personally like the speed of typing on my iPhone, as opposed to my BB9000. Whatever device you like, then stick with it.
    06-25-11 12:14 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD