Apple now is trying to be everything but it could end up to be nothing.
    1. Apple now is a true copycat.
    2. Apple needs to setup global communication framework to support RIM-like services. It tries to enter areas Jobs is not really familiar with.
    3. A war is now officially started: iClouds vs. all other clouds.
    06-07-11 10:18 AM
    I highly doubt it, Apple has too much going for them. Their ecosystem is ridiculously easy to get in to, hard to get out of.
    06-07-11 10:21 AM
    Not gonna happen. I doubt Apple will be gone anytime soon. Same with RIM. Both are here to stay for years to come IMO.
    06-07-11 10:28 AM
    Ten years ago Steve Jobs was unfamiliar with the music player industry. Five years ago he was unfamiliar with the phone and tablet industries. How did those turn out?
    06-07-11 10:53 AM
    Well, I have seen more backlash from the press than ever after WWDC. I also saw a lot of disappointed fans.

Maybe the halo effect is waning.
    06-07-11 11:05 AM
    Well, I have seen more backlash from the press than ever after WWDC. I also saw a lot of disappointed fans.

Maybe the halo effect is waning.
    Probably because they were expecting new hardware. They'll get over it come September
    06-07-11 11:19 AM
    Probably because they were expecting new hardware. They'll get over it come September
    Or maybe something up to date instead of that 1.0 UI iOS has. Atleast thats what my iPhone friends want. Everyone knew they weren't going to announce hardware.

Just my opinion, but I find it funny that iOS now has the most dated looking mobile OS from all major players. Is it ever going to change or are they just waiting for MacOS to be ready for mobile devices?? I mean, sure its nice to be grandma approved, but come on...
    Last edited by Blacklac; 06-07-11 at 11:27 AM.
    06-07-11 11:24 AM
    There is enough space for apple, bb, android and microsoft

Market share will change, but as long as industry grows that fast, nobody will die...

Only possibility is that owner structure changes...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-07-11 11:53 AM
    Im happier with apple than i have been in years. i lost 5 albums in an HD failure a couple years ago and last night i got to download them again. They were all christmas albums too so between that and the playbook update it really was christmas in june!
    06-07-11 11:54 AM
    Or maybe something up to date instead of that 1.0 UI iOS has. Atleast thats what my iPhone friends want. Everyone knew they weren't going to announce hardware.

Just my opinion, but I find it funny that iOS now has the most dated looking mobile OS from all major players. Is it ever going to change or are they just waiting for MacOS to be ready for mobile devices?? I mean, sure its nice to be grandma approved, but come on...
    What does "dated looking" mean? It's just a bunch of icons. Sure it's not as glamrous as having widgets or whatever, but in my opinion dated has to do with functionality and not looks. Blackberry OS has been looking the same for nearly a decade while functionality has changed very little. iOS has been out for 4 years. Not a long time in the life of an OS. I'd be a little more careful on what I consider "dated".
    06-07-11 11:56 AM
    Apples not going anywhere unless they Reilly screw up over a long period of time. In the same breath neither is RIM, Its fun for people to beat up on the under dog. RIM is the current under dog, as soon as RIM releases the next gen of phones a lot of the RIM bashing will go away. Fans of apple like to believe that their is no room for more than one maybe two winners in the communications market, they will be proven wrong! Theres a certain level that any company can obtain, from there people start to turn on them, A quality problem to have perhaps. Right now people like to say RIM has no time, time will show RIM has some..
    06-07-11 12:05 PM
    What does "dated looking" mean? It's just a bunch of icons. Sure it's not as glamrous as having widgets or whatever, but in my opinion dated has to do with functionality and not looks. Blackberry OS has been looking the same for nearly a decade while functionality has changed very little. iOS has been out for 4 years. Not a long time in the life of an OS. I'd be a little more careful on what I consider "dated".

Go look at pictures of pre-OS 4, OS 4, OS 4.6, OS 5, and OS 6 and then try saying this again.

Then look at iOS screenshots through the past 4 years.

Yeah.
    gravymonster likes this.
    06-07-11 12:13 PM
    Go ahead, but it still looks dated to me. BBOS UI has changed. iOS has not. I dont get where people say BBOS is the same old. I mean, actually saying on looks alone.

Im just going to guess here, so bear with me. The iPhone came out when BB was at 4.5? Or was it 4.6? 4.6 came with the Bold 9000 I think and the iPhone was out before that, right? Look at 4.6 and 6.0/7.0 and tell me nothing has changed in the UI. Now look at iOS 5 compared to the original. Wow, a 3D dock... Come on. Windows made a huge UI change. Android looks completely different phone to phone basically. BBOS looks different, not majorly, but more that iOS UI has evolved.

Relax, all I said was it looked dated. Guess what, thats my opinion shared by my iPhone using friends too.
    06-07-11 12:14 PM
    honestly i dont think iOS 5 is completely revealed...i really think in Sept or August when the new iPhone hits it will be dual core and iOS will be fully coded to run with the dual core processor. Apple has shaken things up a little differently this year and i think Steve has more up his sleeve to stun the world.

PS i am not an apple fanboy at all so dont even start with that crap
    Last edited by howarmat; 06-07-11 at 01:32 PM.
    Machzy likes this.
    06-07-11 12:37 PM
    honestly i dont think iOS 5 is completely relieved...i really think in Sept or August when the new iPhone hits it will be dual core and iOS will be fully coded to run with the dual core processor. Apple has shaken things up a little differently this year and i think Steve has more up his sleeve to stun the world.

I agree and I think it will be enough for me to make the switch for sure!
    06-07-11 12:43 PM
    Apple now is trying to be everything but it could end up to be nothing.
    1. Apple now is a true copycat.
    2. Apple needs to setup global communication framework to support RIM-like services. It tries to enter areas Jobs is not really familiar with.
    3. A war is now officially started: iClouds vs. all other clouds.
    Jobs is the consummate marketeer. (not that I like the guy--just stating the OBVIOUS truth).

I'm sick of every fanboi on the planet hauling out the "copycat" comment, every time a company other than the one they are in love with, comes out with a product that is remotely or even quite similar to some other company's product. There are only so many ways to design a phone (basically a rectangular slab with a glass/plastic screen). UI's based on touch can only have so many ways to interface with one's digits. Get over it.
    06-07-11 03:27 PM
    Windows made a huge UI change. Android looks completely different phone to phone basically. BBOS looks different, not majorly, but more that iOS UI has evolved.
    And yet every single manufacturer would trade their "evolved" operating systems for Apple's sales numbers. Profit is the name of the game, after all.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    06-07-11 06:32 PM
    Apple Apple isn't going anywhere anytime soon. They are in full effect and full steam ahead.
    06-07-11 06:58 PM
    And yet every single manufacturer would trade their "evolved" operating systems for Apple's sales numbers. Profit is the name of the game, after all.
    Or atleast add it to their lineup. I dont doubt that. I dont believe Apple is going down. I just know a few people are getting bored of iOS, hoping for a more updated look. I own an iTouch (yes, I just called it an iTouch) and I hate the OS. Every time I think iOS, I think "and the cow goes... mooo" (that childrens animal noise making game, whatever it is). Simple. However, I understand that's kind of what they are going for. To be honest, an iPhone is 1 of few phones I would suggest to a non tech savy adult. Its just easy to use the basic functions.
    06-07-11 09:10 PM
    Or atleast add it to their lineup. I dont doubt that. I dont believe Apple is going down. I just know a few people are getting bored of iOS, hoping for a more updated look. I own an iTouch (yes, I just called it an iTouch) and I hate the OS. Every time I think iOS, I think "and the cow goes... mooo" (that childrens animal noise making game, whatever it is). Simple. However, I understand that's kind of what they are going for. To be honest, an iPhone is 1 of few phones I would suggest to a non tech savy adult. Its just easy to use the basic functions.
    Sadly - most people in this country are technologically ignorant or incompetent. Most people still open emails from strangers with worm filled attachments and cant do the most basic PC maintenance tasks such as swapping out a HDD or adding a single stick of RAM (neither of which requires a geek to accomplish). The reason Apple still even exists is the same reason that Microsoft still exists - people are luddites and want the prettiest and easiest OS whether they are secure and stable or not.
    06-08-11 09:20 AM
    Go look at pictures of pre-OS 4, OS 4, OS 4.6, OS 5, and OS 6 and then try saying this again.

Then look at iOS screenshots through the past 4 years.

Yeah.
    Wait because they changed the icons? Seriously? Like I said, dated should be in terms of functionality and not looks. If the icons change but the functionality is what it was 5 years ago, that's not an improvement to me. It's quite silly to call something dated because the look hasn't changed. RIM is dated in looks and functionality and hardware.
    06-08-11 09:27 AM
    Most people still to this day can't figure out why their PC is running slow, it's not the spec's of the machine. It's the spyware and malware that is the cause.

Thus the users can't act upon the problem and fix it them selves.

Heck there are even companies out there that make it look like you are downloading and paying for anti virus software, but yet it's a scam.

So yes most people in technology can't keep up with the fast pace things are flying at them....

Most viruses effect what OS's out there. Microsoft..
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-08-11 09:30 AM
    Wait because they changed the icons? Seriously? Like I said, dated should be in terms of functionality and not looks. If the icons change but the functionality is what it was 5 years ago, that's not an improvement to me. It's quite silly to call something dated because the look hasn't changed. RIM is dated in looks and functionality and hardware.
    What functionality is dated with BB OS? BB OS has a lot more customization than iOS. I consider that functionality. I wont argue that RIM's current hardware is way out of date. I think the new hardware will be enough though. Would a dual core CPU really make that much improvement over a 1.2Ghz single core to justify the cost and battery life? I just dont think the current BB OS needs that much power. RIM's camera's may not get the headlines, but they are decent. Better than a lot of camera's on Android devices for stills. No doubt the iPhone 4 has top notch stills AND video. We've already seen the video from the new Torch. 720p with autofocus and it is very good. 720p vs 1080p doesnt mean much. A quality 720p video camera can easily beat a 1080p cheap camera. We'll see how it stacks up there.
    Last edited by Blacklac; 06-08-11 at 09:42 AM.
    06-08-11 09:35 AM
    honestly i dont think iOS 5 is completely revealed...i really think in Sept or August when the new iPhone hits it will be dual core and iOS will be fully coded to run with the dual core processor. Apple has shaken things up a little differently this year and i think Steve has more up his sleeve to stun the world.

iOS5 is supposed to run on the 3Gs though. So wouldn't that mean the change in it since they have to dumb it down to run on the specs the 3gs has? Their new phone could have kick *** specs but it won't be fully utilized until a few OSes later? Is this why they don't have problems of the phone being slow, like a bb getting the hourglass?

06-08-11 09:49 AM
    iOS5 is supposed to run on the 3Gs though. So wouldn't that mean the change in it since they have to dumb it down to run on the specs the 3gs has? Their new phone could have kick *** specs but it won't be fully utilized until a few OSes later? Is this why they don't have problems of the phone being slow, like a bb getting the hourglass?

ahem, it remains to be seen just how well it runs on a 3Gs. I wouldn't read much into how much 5 is "dumbed down" with respect to it running on older devices. Not being an Apple fan myself, it's my contention that all current and previous versions of iOS are already "dumbed down" to provide what Apple feels is a simplified UI and feature set for the average Joe and Jane that will buy whatever Apple is selling, which is SIMPLICITY. Having said that, I think 5 has got some good features--FINALLY, Jobs has got his minions to fix the deplorably bad Notifications interface. Just like providing cut and paste, Jobs is never in a rush to fix things.
    06-08-11 09:56 AM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD