02-25-13 03:32 PM
    Not terribly surprising... seeing as Apple as their device seemed to hacked by jailbreak with each OS update.....
    02-25-13 03:43 PM
    And everyone's ok with using them in Enterprise.. personal phones should be kept for personal use and business for business..

wait a sec.. that's .. why we have the z10/q10 from BB
    02-25-13 03:46 PM
    Except the security of Z10 has been hit by dropping BIS.
    And Balance isn't available to self employed/regular consumers unless you pay for BES.
    It certainly looks like the Z10 as a pure consumer device offers less security then an OS7 device.
    john_v likes this.
    02-25-13 03:54 PM
    02-25-13 04:11 PM
    Except the security of Z10 has been hit by dropping BIS.
    And Balance isn't available to self employed/regular consumers unless you pay for BES.
    It certainly looks like the Z10 as a pure consumer device offers less security then an OS7 device.
    Nope. If you are in business, you have options. BES10 is a free server and 99$ for a perpetuity device license. Balance is made up of Personal and WORK sections. The Z10 is a consumer device that can be made into a very secure business device. The same cannot be said of iOS or Android.
    02-25-13 04:44 PM
    The difference is that Apple have now fixed it in a new release. It would take BlackBerry about 18 months.
    adjdudley21 likes this.
    02-25-13 04:56 PM
    Nope. If you are in business, you have options. BES10 is a free server and 99$ for a perpetuity device license. Balance is made up of Personal and WORK sections. The Z10 is a consumer device that can be made into a very secure business device. The same cannot be said of iOS or Android.
    Android can be hardened, so, if one is looking for options for business, they do exist.

Has ANYONE even tried Balance yet?
    02-25-13 05:19 PM
    Android in and of itself is not secure.. Its open source which means it will never be secure..... No matter how many apps you put on the phone, it will never be secure the way blackberry is secure...
    02-25-13 05:26 PM
    Android in and of itself is not secure.. Its open source which means it will never be secure..... No matter how many apps you put on the phone, it will never be secure the way blackberry is secure...
    Some Android devices have FIPs certs. Just like BB. And open source does not work the way you are implying.
    bp3dots likes this.
    02-25-13 05:30 PM
    This kind of EXPLOIT would not happen on a BlackBerry.

Reply #7 said apple has fixed this issue in a new release....NOT TRUE. the exploit was just posted online on Monday, this is still an active problem. The fix was for the old EXPLOIT which had a similar nature.

If you have an iPhone you are vulnerable to this!!!!!!!!! BEWARE!!!

Files and information can be viewed!!!

Safest bet is a blackberry.
    lynxs_claw likes this.
    02-26-13 03:11 AM
    Except doesn't bes now work with android and ios?
    And android devices and I phones are fips certified with necessary changes and lockdowns.
    And the z10 is a new device and can't piggyback on the security credentials of os 7 devices.

And balance should have been made available to everyone.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-13 04:56 AM
    Android can be hardened, so, if one is looking for options for business, they do exist.

Has ANYONE even tried Balance yet?
    You just admitted that Android is not a secure platform. If it was, there would be no need to make it "hardened". This means the core OS is flawed from the core outward. The same can not be said about BB10. It was designed from the core to be secure.

We have been using Balance on our Playbooks since Mobile Fusion was in Beta last year and we are running Balance on our Z10 phones. It works great!
    02-26-13 05:42 AM
    You just admitted that Android is not a secure platform. If it was, there would be no need to make it "hardened". This means the core OS is flawed from the core outward. The same can not be said about BB10. It was designed from the core to be secure.

We have been using Balance on our Playbooks since Mobile Fusion was in Beta last year and we are running Balance on our Z10 phones. It works great!
    No what he said was android as an os allows users who want to more flexibility to do what they want with it.
    If you want to take away that flexibility you can.
    If bb10 was built to be secure we'd still have BIS.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-13 05:47 AM
    Except doesn't bes now work with android and ios?
    And android devices and I phones are fips certified with necessary changes and lockdowns.
    And the z10 is a new device and can't piggyback on the security credentials of os 7 devices.

And balance should have been made available to everyone.

Posted via CB10
    BES10 is not BES5. BES5 is Blackberry Enterprise Server. BES10 is Blackberry Enterprise Services. And yes BES10 works with Android and iOS devices. But it only works as well as the APIs that are released by the platform manufacture. You can not do all the things with Android or iOS devices unless you install clients. The same with all other MDM solutions. To get AirWatch to work on the three platforms, then you have to install AirWatch clients on all devices. With BB10 and Playbook, all that is required is an account setup and everything is done.

Please post as link to a FIPS certified iOS and Android device out of the box. BB10 is and doesn't need to piggyback on OS7 devices. It already has its FIPS.

If you knew want Balance is, you wouldn't say that it should be make available to everyone. Balance is for Personal/Work, if you need it for work, ask your company to get BES10 in place.
    lynxs_claw likes this.
    02-26-13 05:50 AM
    No what he said was android as an os allows users who want to more flexibility to do what they want with it.
    If you want to take away that flexibility you can.
    If bb10 was built to be secure we'd still have BIS.

Posted via CB10
    You can have a device flexible and still have security. Look at BB10. But it needs to be done from the ground up and not from add ons or taking things away. Again, I don't think you have taken your time to understand how BB10 is secure as a platform.
    lynxs_claw likes this.
    02-26-13 05:52 AM
    BES10 is not BES5. BES5 is Blackberry Enterprise Server. BES10 is Blackberry Enterprise Services. And yes BES10 works with Android and iOS devices. But it only works as well as the APIs that are released by the platform manufacture. You can not do all the things with Android or iOS devices unless you install clients. The same with all other MDM solutions. To get AirWatch to work on the three platforms, then you have to install AirWatch clients on all devices. With BB10 and Playbook, all that is required is an account setup and everything is done.

Please post as link to a FIPS certified iOS and Android device out of the box. BB10 is and doesn't need to piggyback on OS7 devices. It already has its FIPS.

If you knew want Balance is, you wouldn't say that it should be make available to everyone. Balance is for Personal/Work, if you need it for work, ask your company to get BES10 in place.
    Who cares if it's certified out if the box of not? If they want to limit and lock down functionality to bring it down to a BlackBerry level and make it more secure they can.

I don't think you realise there's plenty on people who wouldn't love the opportunity to have a work mode and personal mode, not allowing alerts etc from either area to come into play while in the other mode.

Bb10, for a consumer, is less functional and secure at present than os7

Posted via CB10
    02-26-13 06:06 AM
    You can have a device flexible and still have security. Look at BB10. But it needs to be done from the ground up and not from add ons or taking things away. Again, I don't think you have taken your time to understand how BB10 is secure as a platform.
    Bb10 is not flexible.
    Not for devs not for users.
    The notifications, hooks and apis are not flexible. The multitasking is not flexible.
    Look in the app thread to get an idea as to what hoops devs have to jump through to get basic functionality.

I don't think you really understand the issues facing users and devs at the moment.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-13 06:10 AM
    Who cares if it's certified out if the box of not? If they want to limit and lock down functionality to bring it down to a BlackBerry level and make it more secure they can.

I don't think you realise there's plenty on people who wouldn't love the opportunity to have a work mode and personal mode, not allowing alerts etc from either area to come into play while in the other mode.

Bb10, for a consumer, is less functional and secure at present than os7

Posted via CB10
    Not having it secure out of the box is a FLAW in the OS. Have your actually tried Balance? From the conversation, then you haven't so you don't understand how it actually works and it is designed for Work and Personal use. If there are plenty of people who want to have a work mode, get work to install it. It is that simple. BB10 for a consumer is more secure than Android or iOS.
    lynxs_claw likes this.
    02-26-13 06:12 AM
    Bb10 is not flexible.
    The notifications, hooks and apis are not flexible. The multitasking is not flexible.
    Look in the app thread to get an idea as to what hoops devs have to jump through to get basic functionality.

I don't think you really understand the issues facing users and devs at the moment.

Posted via CB10
    Now I call BS. I am a Dev.. I am using Cascades and C++ and don't have problems in getting the functionality I need for my apps. I had a Dev Alpha since June and don't have the issues you quote. Maybe it is just the learning curve that people are having. Your lack of knowledge on what Balance actually does and your desire to have it for everyone show a lack of knowledge. Plus, I don't post my development problems/questions here. I post it to the Blackberry Developers website. Everyone is learning new things and new stuff is added to the development tools so each new thing requires time to learn. The Gold version of the developers tool only came out on Jan. 30th. What is the date today? Less than a month.

Here is a link to the documentation about BDS so you can learn about how balance is integrated into BDS which is part of BES10.

BlackBerry Device Service - Manuals and Guides
    Last edited by Bluenoser63; 02-26-13 at 06:28 AM.
    lynxs_claw likes this.
    02-26-13 06:17 AM
    Not having it secure out of the box is a FLAW in the OS. Have your actually tried Balance? From the conversation, then you haven't so you don't understand how it actually works and it is designed for Work and Personal use. If there are plenty of people who want to have a work mode, get work to install it. It is that simple. BB10 for a consumer is more secure than Android or iOS.
    You could argue that (not being secure out of the box). It has merit.

It could be said that they are secure enough to do well in the consumer space.

It is also hard to not see one of Bob's points. Would you say the Z10 is less secure than previous offerings? I'm referring to the vast majority (non-BES ones).
    02-26-13 06:30 AM
    Bb10 is not flexible.

Posted via CB10
    You must be a dev, why don't you explain how
    And what hoops do devs have to jump though. Give some details.
    02-26-13 06:30 AM
    Not having it locked down is an OPTION and you can't seem to understand that concept.
    No I have not tried balance because it is not available to me I'm not going to push anyone into getting BES unless there's a damp good reason.
    Here's the simple end point, BB10 for a consumer is no more secure than anything else out there.
    Not for email, not for communications.
    And it has less options available at the moment for functionality.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-13 06:38 AM
    Now I call BS. I am a Dev.. I am using Cascades and C++ and don't have problems in getting the functionality I need for my apps. I had a Dev Alpha since June and don't have the issues you quote. Maybe it is just the learning curve that people are having. Your lack of knowledge on what Balance actually does and your desire to have it for everyone show a lack of knowledge. Plus, I don't post my development problems/questions here. I post it to the Blackberry Developers website. Everyone is learning new things and new stuff is added to the development tools so each new thing requires time to learn. The Gold version of the developers tool only came out on Jan. 30th. What is the date today? Less than a month.

Here is a link to the documentation about BDS so you can learn about how balance is integrated into BDS which is part of BES10.

BlackBerry Device Service - Manuals and Guides
    I'm not a dev but devs for apps I want are struggling to get the apps functional. That's enough to tell me what I need to know.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-13 06:40 AM
    You must be a dev, why don't you explain how And what hoops do devs have to jump though. Give some details.
    As I said earlier, go to the apps thread.
    Explain to Devcellent how they can get their app to tell when the phone is on silent.
    Or in the holster.
    Or to customise alerts and less for BBM messages.
    Or how to run headless apps.

Go on, I'll even thank you for it.

Or if you can't do that or lack the knowledge, that's fine, tell us what you've programmed so we know whether you haven't had any problems because you've done an ebook app or one of the other apps on BlackBerry world that serves no real purpose.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-13 06:44 AM
44 12