Interesting read with good stats.

An analysis of Verizon Wireless smartphone sales over the past year indicates why the carrier is suddenly demonstrating interest in Apple's iPad and iPhone: Android isn't working out as well as once hoped, with AT&T now selling 2.5 times as many iPhones as Verizon is Android models.

Asymco points out, graphically, that Verizon's smartphone performance with BlackBerry, Android, and Palm's webOS simply pales in comparison to AT&T's performance with Apple's iPhone.

"Verizon’s volumes grew from 2.7 million in Q1 to 3.3 million in Q3," the site reports. "Not a bad story in itself. However, the iPhone at AT&T went from 2.7 million to 5.7 million in the same time frame. Relative to just the iPhone, Verizon has been underperforming over the last quarter."
    Unlike popular comparisons of global device activation numbers, mobile web "market share" and mobile advertising analytics, all of which can gerrymander markets that either include or exclude iPods and iPads and other devices, or group third world cheap devices into the same pool as high end smartphones, the report's comparison of AT&T and Verizon is one of the clearest looks yet at how iPhone sales compare to Android-based smartphones in similar circumstances.

Both carriers cover the same population and are similarly sized, with Verizon hosting 92.1 million subscribers and AT&T serving 90.1 million. Together, "AT&T and Verizon Wireless raked in 75% of all mobile data revenue in Q2 of 2010 and account for 62% of the U.S. wireless customer base," the report notes.

When looking at data by month, rather than quarterly figures, Asymco points out that Verizon's unit sales growth "hit a wall in August. Following widespread iPhone 4 availability, sales dropped." That wall was also the last straw for Palm's webOS, which since August has trickled off to nearly nothing after achieving pre-iPhone 4 sales that exceeded HTC to become Verizon's third best smartphone maker.

Much more here.

Nice RIM graph:
    12-14-10 11:50 AM
    Everyone knows what an iPhone is, but there is a new Droid coming out every week. I can barely keep up - I can imagine what a normal person thinks about the situation. I don't know why they wouldn't slow down with the releases and make one worth buying.
    12-14-10 11:55 AM
    I think Android is actually very good, just not the current business sales model they invoke. If Android came out with a phone every 6 months or even 4, it would sell more, but with fragmentation and having to comply with all the different manufacturers it ends up being an Android device every other week. People don't really see it as Sprint Android, Verizon Android and etc... they just see it as Android.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 12-14-10 at 12:19 PM.
    12-14-10 12:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD