Android marketshare growing, iPhone shrinking says Quantcast:

Apple, if they needed a reason to go after HTC, and by proxy Google, may have had it in marketshare numbers. Android's growth has been pretty spectacular over the past few quarters highlighted by the graphs below from Quantcast, a web analytics firm.
    While iPhone is clearly the market leader in Web consumption with over four times the share as Android, its nearest competitor, recent trends show that they aren't standing on firm ground.

In the last month the iPhone has lost 3.2% of its marketshare compared with RIM and Android both gaining considerably. This isn't just a monthly blip either, at least with regards to Android. Google's phone market has grown 44% over the past quarter and almost doubled over the past year while the iPhone has lost around 5% and 10% of the overall market over those same periods.

According to some sources, Steve Jobs recently told an Apple Town Hall meeting:

On Google: We did not enter the search business, Jobs said. They entered the phone business. Make no mistake they want to kill the iPhone. We wonít let them, he says. Someone else asks something on a different topic, but thereís no getting Jobs off this rant. I want to go back to that other question first and say one more thing, he says. This donít be evil mantra: ďItís BS.Ē Audience roars.

While, lawsuits aren't going to make my smartphone experience any better, I am looking forward to seeing what Apple does in the technology space to take on Google. It certainly sounds like the competition is on.
    03-04-10 09:30 AM
    It was expected. I like this cuz that means i won't see that many iphones out there :P
    Last edited by dcgore; 03-04-10 at 01:24 PM.
    03-04-10 09:54 AM
    Good for us. Means better devices and better prices. Let the competition heat up. Poor RIM.
    03-04-10 11:54 AM
    Good for us. Means better devices and better prices. Let the competition heat up. Poor RIM.
    Poor who?
    03-04-10 01:51 PM
    RIM is a sustainable company and will continue to flux up and down in the market. iPhone only holds the market because of the trend. Once the iPhone trend dies down other companies (RIM, Droid) will regain the market shares. iPhone is only as sustainable as the competition. As new devices come out, and other compaines expand iphone will loose huge chunks of the market.. People will always be on the latest and greatest device (I use an iphone as well as a BB) but one thing RIM has going for it that no one is going to take is the Corporate companies use them and you cant expect them to change anytime soon. It will be interesting to see what happens down the road.
    03-04-10 02:48 PM
    RIM is a sustainable company and will continue to flux up and down in the market. iPhone only holds the market because of the trend. Once the iPhone trend dies down other companies (RIM, Droid) will regain the market shares. iPhone is only as sustainable as the competition. As new devices come out, and other compaines expand iphone will loose huge chunks of the market.. People will always be on the latest and greatest device (I use an iphone as well as a BB) but one thing RIM has going for it that no one is going to take is the Corporate companies use them and you cant expect them to change anytime soon. It will be interesting to see what happens down the road.
    Without innovation RIM will become just like Palm period. Of course business will always use blackberries, but that doesn't mean anything. Many workplaces still use Windows 2000 but that doesn't mean anything. The point is that as long as companies like Google come out with new and innovative devices and RIM sit's there on their arse they will continue to lose consumer market share.

If you go by your logic, then everything is a trend and everyone will lose their market share. Blackberries became popular over the past couple years for consumers, so since that was a trend we should expect them to lose that share. Same thing with Apple and now Google. Google is becoming trendy, so they'll lose it all in a couple years as well. Right.

Don't you remember that it wasn't that long ago that everyone wanted a Palm Treo. Windows Mobile and Palm OS was the market share in the US. BUT they didn't change with the times or come with something innovative until it was too late. Google and Apple will stay ahead of the curve and take the little be of consumer market share that RIM has.
    03-04-10 03:10 PM
    You're in complete denial.. Apple is gaining corporate market share. It is only a matter of time before either Apple or Google finally deals the final blow that will knock RIM on their @$$!
    RIM has nothing going for them but 1995 ideas.. they are done!
    It may not be this year or next but the countdown has begun for RIM.
    03-04-10 04:17 PM
    You're in complete denial.. Apple is gaining corporate market share. It is only a matter of time before either Apple or Google finally deals the final blow that will knock RIM on their @$$!
    RIM has nothing going for them but 1995 ideas.. they are done!
    It may not be this year or next but the countdown has begun for RIM.
    Not sure if I agree with that all the way. Granted RIM needs to get it's **** together soon or it will be left in the dust of Apple,Google,HTC, and the others. That said one thing that can not be discounted is that RIM will always be a force in the corporate world. I think that if RIM really comes out with a true consumer device and does something about the browser/app world issue they could be right back to where they were a couple of years ago.
    03-04-10 04:46 PM
    It's be so cool to bookmark this thread and come back to it in a couple of years!
    We'd see who was the Crackberry Forum Nostradamus!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-10 05:20 PM
    We do realize this article is talking MOBILE WEB USAGE MARKETSHARE, not phones sold marketshare right?

It really means nothing in the end how much people use the web on their phone. Its not indicative of marketshare of phones out there or success of any platform.

This article clearly cant distinguish that obvious difference and is a poor piece of journalism. Not to mention highly misleading that Apple is losing "real" phones sold marketshare which isnt even the case.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 03-04-10 at 06:11 PM.
    03-04-10 06:07 PM
    We do realize this article is talking MOBILE WEB USAGE MARKETSHARE, not phones sold marketshare right?

It really means nothing in the end how much people use the web on their phone. Its not indicative of marketshare of phones out there or success of any platform.

This article clearly cant distinguish that obvious difference and is a poor piece of journalism. Not to mention highly misleading that Apple is losing "real" phones sold marketshare which isnt even the case.
    Well it does show that Android is becoming more popular, so it's not totally misleading.
    03-04-10 06:18 PM
    No but towards the title of the article its highly misleading. Becoming popular isnt marketshare, marketshare is how much of the market do you own, ie. how many phones did you sell out of the whole pie vs competitors.

Look at RIM, theyre one of the highest selling platforms in terms of devices out there and have one of the lowest web usages. It doesnt mean theyre failing because people dont use the web on their device.
    03-04-10 06:38 PM
    I think this is to be expected. There hasn't been a new iPhone since last year. When the new iPhone is released the buzz will start to go again. Android just comes out with so many devices, consumers are constantly intrigued.

03-11-10 06:16 PM
    For Google to have come into this extremely competitive game known as the mobile phone market and to have accomplished what they have so far is nothing short of remarkable. Apple burst onto the scene and basically slapped around other mobile devices who have been around for years with the iPhone. Google's Android OS is the absolute closest you can get to an iPhone browsing experience without the actual iPhone.

Google's advantage is obviously the fact that their OS is blanketed across many carriers and many devices. Apple is kinda stuck with their OS on one device. Interesting thing is that Android is so close to iPhone that in many reviews Android phones beat iPhone as many times as iPhone wins in others. For example I know Noah from phonedog.com is a big iPhone fan but in one of his last reviews the Nexus One was given the thumbs up over the iPhone.
    03-13-10 09:37 PM
    I think this is to be expected. There hasn't been a new iPhone since last year. When the new iPhone is released the buzz will start to go again. Android just comes out with so many devices, consumers are constantly intrigued.

Agreed... but I'm curious how this theory will be affected by Apple's one iPhone a year compared to Google's ten a month..
    03-13-10 10:06 PM
    Again though, I dont think these stats really matter.

How much people browse their phones really doesnt mean anything. It doesnt tell you how much true "marketshare" they have- ie. how many phones sold/how many out there.

It shouldnt be a shocker that since Android's marketshare grew 3% in the US last quarter that their web browsing stats are up. More phones getting out there, more people browsing. It should be a more than obvious correlation. Without a new iphone and Android sales picking up, of course they stole some of Apple's browsing marketshare. They had nowhere to go but down being that far at the top.

But I dont think how much people browse on their phones means anything really in the end. Look at RIM, they have some of the lowest web browsing user numbers on the first pie chart above at 9%, and still the biggest piece of the over US marketshare pie (phones sold/out there) at 43% of all smartphones.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 03-13-10 at 10:14 PM.
    03-13-10 10:11 PM
    For Google to have come into this extremely competitive game known as the mobile phone market and to have accomplished what they have so far is nothing short of remarkable. Apple burst onto the scene and basically slapped around other mobile devices who have been around for years with the iPhone. Google's Android OS is the absolute closest you can get to an iPhone browsing experience without the actual iPhone.

Google's advantage is obviously the fact that their OS is blanketed across many carriers and many devices. Apple is kinda stuck with their OS on one device. Interesting thing is that Android is so close to iPhone that in many reviews Android phones beat iPhone as many times as iPhone wins in others. For example I know Noah from phonedog.com is a big iPhone fan but in one of his last reviews the Nexus One was given the thumbs up over the iPhone.
    That can also be a disadvantage. That means their OS is fragmented, making it harder to develop apps. Many devices are on different versions and have different hardware, which make it difficult to develop an app that works on most devices.

03-13-10 10:12 PM
    Exactly, this is the same dilemma RIM is already in- trying to support 2 dozen or so different device hardware versions and screen resolutions.

The more Google fragments their OS into different devices the harder it is for devs to support them all, and the longer updates and app updates take.

Thats the big advantage Apple has, one device. Every app just has to fit the one device, and for things where the resolution increases like the ipad and probably the iphone 4G, the app will just double itself to fit the screen, or devs can rewrite it for the higher res screen. Still only 2 resolutions at that.
    03-13-10 10:18 PM
    Maybe I am slow and didn't take enough time to read it thoroughly, but this stat is useless. More Android devices will lead to more Mobile Web Consumption. Apple can have the same users using the same amount of the Web as last year and it would "appear" that the amount of consumption (for Apple devices) is going down, but in reality, the pie is just getting bigger.

Pizza (8 slices):
    John eats 4 slices
    Joe eats 2 slices
    Jack eats 2 slices

John ate 50% of the pizza.

Add another pie:
    John eats 6 slices
    Joe eats 5 slices
    Jack eats 5 slices

John ate more, but the percentage got lower. He ate 37% of the pizza.

To me, it seems as though the article is stating that iPhone users are using the Web( and/or devices) less, when in reality they are not.

Also... Does this even account for apps that use the web or just the browser usage? Very poor statistics as it's not clear and is a bit misleading IMO.

If it's measuring Web browsers only, they're not account for the thousands upon thousands of apps that replace the need to go through the Web browser. I used to use the web browser to make account transfers through my bank, but now, I use thier app.

There are so many more things that I find wrong with these stats, but I'm too tired to continue.

Thanks for sharing.
    03-14-10 03:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD