Hey,

So I'm almost ready to make the switch to an iPhone 4. I've had BlackBerrys for almost 3 years now (8820 > 9000 > 8900 > 9700). I've got OS 6 on my phone but it's slow and annoying. I could buy the 9780 I guess, but I might as well just buy an iPhone 4 for the cost.

I've been researching this a bit today, but haven't been able to solicit a solid response regarding email on the iPhone 4. I don't use BES, only BIS. I use a gmail account, numerous hotmail accounts, and my University email account.

My question is does email get pushed the same way as BlackBerrys? I've heard different things, like you have to "fetch" for emails yourself? Or they come in every 15 minutes (depending on your interval). Or you have to buy MobileMe for the same push email function as a BlackBerry.

If you can emails pushed every 15 minutes that's fine for me. I don't need them every second like how the BlackBerry works.

If someone could clarify that'd be great.

Also, anything else I should know before switching? Maybe a list of reasons/features that are better than on the BlackBerry (previous users/users of both would be good here).

Thanks!
    12-14-10 05:45 PM
    I also came from the 97 to ip4.
    Email yes for gmail there's push. ( I think yahoo also ).
    I use exchange on mine and it's push.
    Everything else you could have it fetching every 15 mins. This means the longest you will wait for an email is 15 min.
    Since you didn't have BES I think the email on ip4 is just as good if not better then BB.
    Battery life is great on the ip4, best screen ever seen.
    Onething I miss from BB is the notification system. Ip4 sucks at that lol. But if you jb there's many option. If you don't it's workable.
    I'm very happy with the ip4 and I think you should give it a try.
    12-14-10 05:52 PM
    Notification system? Like the blinking LED? I know I love that, I have bought BerryBuzz which I find very useful.

Also, I use autotext for like every shortform, lol. Can I set "auto-correct" on the iPhone to change 'u' to 'you', 'ur' to 'your', 'cuz' to 'because', etc. when I type?

Can you seperate your inboxes like on the BlackBerry so that each email account has it's own respective inbox icon, and one for SMS text messages as well?
    12-14-10 05:56 PM
    I had berrybuz also lol. Loves that app. For auto text.... No it's not like that on the iPhone. I got use to it. You have to trust the auto correction on the iPhone. Its good 95% of the time. But no theres no short cuts like BB.
    For email. You have 1 mail Icone on you screen. Once you enter you have one general folder where all email from all accounts go or each account individually.
    Text message has it's on application.
    12-14-10 06:03 PM
    Okay so they Folders sound similar. Still having trouble understanding the auto-correct. When I type "ure" will it auto correct it to "you're" or will it put "sure" (for example).

Also, MobileMe isn't needed to be purchased then correct? Because I can have my Hotmail emails fetched and received within 15 minutes?
    12-14-10 06:08 PM
    No mobile me is not needed and yea sounds from email sound similar.... But if yoh jailbreak i think you could change that.
    The auto correct all depends on your typing. The iPhone memorizes your correction and slowly starts to add them.
    If you add ure several times and correct it to you're the iPhone will remember this on most words.
    12-14-10 06:15 PM
    No mobile me is not needed and yea sounds from email sound similar.... But if yoh jailbreak i think you could change that.
    The auto correct all depends on your typing. The iPhone memorizes your correction and slowly starts to add them.
    If you add ure several times and correct it to you're the iPhone will remember this on most words.
    Alright, sick! Sounds like I'm buying one for sure. I appreciate your feedback, thanks again.
    12-14-10 06:26 PM
    No problem bro. Enjoy your new phone.
    12-14-10 06:29 PM
    Matt_25, I hope you don't mind me asking TheBBMan a question on your thread . . . .

BBMan . . The wife and I are also very close to switching to the iphone4 (both of us are currently on Storm2 9550).

My question: I'll be the one maintaining both of our iphones - using itunes to backup and sync etc. I'll be using my itunes account from one computer (my wife doesn't have an account in itunes).

We will have different apps on each phone. Will 1 itunes, using the same computer, be able to back up and sync different information (different purchased apps etc..) on individual iphones? Or will I need to create a separate itunes account for her if I want my own separate apps on my iphone? (for example, if I purchase "angry birds" from itunes and wife doesn't want it on her phone, is this possible using same itunes account to back up both phones without this game showing up on her phone?)

Hope this makes sense
    12-15-10 08:04 PM
    I would recommend your wife opening her own iTunes account.
    You have your account and your wife her own account.
    Both accounts will have different email addresses.
    So when you plug in to sync your iPhone, ITunes would recognize it's your phone, you apps and contacts.
    When your wife plugs in to sync. She will have to change the email address to her account and then sync.
    Just make sure to remove the option sync when plug in automatic. To avoid mixing everything
    shinbone likes this.
    12-15-10 08:29 PM
    I would recommend your wife opening her own iTunes account.
    You have your account and your wife her own account.
    Both accounts will have different email addresses.
    So when you plug in to sync your iPhone, ITunes would recognize it's your phone, you apps and contacts.
    When your wife plugs in to sync. She will have to change the email address to her account and then sync.
    Just make sure to remove the option sync when plug in automatic. To avoid mixing everything
    Makes sense . . . thanks!
    12-15-10 08:56 PM
    Dude, i came from 9700 to iphone 4 and i must say, i am less and less dying to get a 9780..

It really is amazing at all it can do...I am heavy user w 3000 mins a month, emails and texts galore and i love all the calendar, to do contacts and gmail push.

You wont be sorry!
    12-15-10 08:59 PM
    I also came from the 97 to ip4.
    Email yes for gmail there's push. ( I think yahoo also ).
    I use exchange on mine and it's push.
    Everything else you could have it fetching every 15 mins. This means the longest you will wait for an email is 15 min.
    Since you didn't have BES I think the email on ip4 is just as good if not better then BB.
    Battery life is great on the ip4, best screen ever seen.
    Onething I miss from BB is the notification system. Ip4 sucks at that lol. But if you jb there's many option. If you don't it's workable.
    I'm very happy with the ip4 and I think you should give it a try.
    BBman, I appreciate the information you've been sharing on this thread for us BB users considering the switch to iPhone. I have another sync-type question for you.

I currently have an iMac running Parallels with Win7. I use Outlook (not BES) to maintain my calendar, e-mails, and contacts. I have BB Desktop Manager downloaded on the Win7 side and sync my BB with Outlook that way.

If I go with the iPhone, which I'm hoping to do if rumors about the iPhone coming to VZW are true, can I still use a similar set-up to sync my iPhone with Outlook? I realize that iTunes will come into play, but I'd like to maintain Outlook if possible.

Any thoughts/information you have regarding this issue?

Thanks!
    12-15-10 10:04 PM
    No need to have separate accounts on iTunes. Do everything under one account, you have the ability to control which apps, music, etc sync with each phone. And iTunes will identify the phone as "your phone" or "her phone". ITunes will recognize which phone it is each time you hook up. We have two iPods, an iPad and two iPhones all under the same iTunes account.

If you have two separate accounts, you may have to buy the same app twice.
    shinbone likes this.
    12-15-10 10:07 PM
    Hey Golf,
    I always done it with 2 accounts. Never rally cared about buying the app 2 times since most of the apps she used I didn't.
    Doesn't that one of the 2 users need to select what apps they want or don't want??

** to avoid buying the same app twice your wife could always use you account to download the app you already paid for.

** golfnCPA is correct. You could have 1 iTunes accounts. Just make each iPhone has a different name.
    Last edited by TheBBman; 12-15-10 at 10:45 PM.
    12-15-10 10:22 PM
    @med is it exchange your email?
    12-15-10 10:30 PM
    No need to have separate accounts on iTunes. Do everything under one account, you have the ability to control which apps, music, etc sync with each phone. And iTunes will identify the phone as "your phone" or "her phone". ITunes will recognize which phone it is each time you hook up. We have two iPods, an iPad and two iPhones all under the same iTunes account.

If you have two separate accounts, you may have to buy the same app twice.
    Oh really?? This would be a lot easier for me. So . . . if I buy an app using itunes-appstore from my computer, I have the choice to load it to "my phone" and not on "her phone"?? Or, if I buy an app that we both want, I could load it on "both phones" and only have to purchase it once??

This would be pretty awesome. Thanks for your input
    12-15-10 10:46 PM
    That is correct. When you get your phones, hook one up and go through iTunes. I mean, check everything out about it and how it works with your phone. You have the ability to do a lot of things specific to your phone even though you only have one account with iTunes.

I believe that each time you purchase an app you get 5 "uses" of it.

But do not set up separate iTunes accounts, unless divorce is imminent.
    12-16-10 08:30 AM
    Hey Golf,
    I always done it with 2 accounts. Never rally cared about buying the app 2 times since most of the apps she used I didn't.
    Doesn't that one of the 2 users need to select what apps they want or don't want??

** to avoid buying the same app twice your wife could always use you account to download the app you already paid for.

** golfnCPA is correct. You could have 1 iTunes accounts. Just make each iPhone has a different name.
    Last comment. Right on. Glad I could help.

See my screen name, as if you can't tell, I am fairly frugal and generally investigate everything possible to achieve the lowest cost application available.
    12-16-10 08:34 AM
    Switched yesterday! Lovin' the iPhone 4 thus far! I don't miss my BlackBerry at all really.
    12-17-10 12:53 PM
    Congratulations on the new phone Matt. I had it since the first day it came to canada and do not regret the switch.
    12-17-10 02:37 PM
    Switched yesterday! Lovin' the iPhone 4 thus far! I don't miss my BlackBerry at all really.
    Welcome to the dark side ... enjoy your i4
    12-18-10 01:11 AM
    The difference is like night and day in some aspects. Enjoy the phone it's an amazing device. Oh and don't forget to jailbreak, that opens up a whole new world.
    12-18-10 04:25 AM
    The difference is like night and day in some aspects. Enjoy the phone it's an amazing device. Oh and don't forget to jailbreak, that opens up a whole new world.
    Haha, I want to, but I have no idea how to.
    12-19-10 12:26 AM
    Even Hotmail is push now that MS gave it ActiveSync conduits. The only type of accounts that would poll would be POP3 accounts, but at least with that you can control your polling delay on them as opposed to the BB/BIS which defaults to 15 min poll and push to handset with no option to shorten it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-10 12:32 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD