I will be one of the "suckers" purchasing when they arrive in stores. Already own an iphone, itouch and a mac book. The iphone is being used by my girl friend and the itouch gets used when I'm at appointments, laying in bed or gym. Lol the mac booc is sitting in a box I'm my garage. The battery crapped out on me after 1 year and I don't wanna pay the money that apple wants to replace it. Besides... I hated the thing. Worse money I have ever spent on a computer. I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm not a fan boy or anything of the sort. I want the ipod to rent movies, throw in my breifcase, browse while on the couch. Everyone keeps saying that you get more use with your computer and I agree, but what about the person that shops, reads, browses, watches movies from itunes? This will fit the bill nicely. I for one am looking forward to buying one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-10 11:37 PM
    My thing is how do you "like" something you haven't had any experience with...
    You called it a big iPhone/iPad, but why? So if you already can say it is just a bigger version of another product, aren't you doing the exact same thing as those buying it without experiencing it?

And how do you know the 91,000 are apple fanboys and you don't even know 1/1000th of them

Also brand loyalty (what a lot may call fanboyism) is not always a bad thing. Apple has awesome customer service and excellent products (build), so a lot of people trust that the device they're coming out with will at least provide the two above. Only other company off the top of my head that has that as well is Google (I'm sure there are more), but it's rare.

The problem is that whoever feels that they do not need this device or dislike how they put iPhone OS instead of Mac OS (or whatever other reason), say it's a failure or bash it (this includes the users who are purchasing it, not just the product itself). The company is making billions upon billions and keeps growing, so I'm sure they know what they're doing and who they're making the devices for. This device isn't for me as much as the Dell Mini will be, but I understand that this device has a place and that people will buy it for other reasons aside from being a "fanboy".

I understand why Apple did what they did. This product will least likely cannibalize their sales like putting mac OS on it would have done. Heck, I don't have a mac (aside from my iPhone) and if they had put mac OS on it, I wouldn't still want to buy a macbook.
    03-15-10 12:10 AM
    I will be one of the "suckers" purchasing when they arrive in stores. Already own an iphone, itouch and a mac book. The iphone is being used by my girl friend and the itouch gets used when I'm at appointments, laying in bed or gym. Lol the mac booc is sitting in a box I'm my garage. The battery crapped out on me after 1 year and I don't wanna pay the money that apple wants to replace it. Besides... I hated the thing. Worse money I have ever spent on a computer. I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm not a fan boy or anything of the sort. I want the ipod to rent movies, throw in my breifcase, browse while on the couch. Everyone keeps saying that you get more use with your computer and I agree, but what about the person that shops, reads, browses, watches movies from itunes? This will fit the bill nicely. I for one am looking forward to buying one.

Exactly... On the couch this will be very useful. Whether it is to read, browse or play a video game while your show is on commercial. I can get a macbook, but what everyone fails to understand is that a lot of people may not want something that big on their lap while trying to relax.

P.S. You're not a "sucker". You're buying something that will fit your lifestyle. You hit it on the nail... I have a laptop that I rarely use and I refuse to carry it around with me. There are lots of people who do not want to carry a laptop & will carry the iPad.

Also that macbook you're not using, let me know if you're trying to ummmm... give that away.
    03-15-10 12:15 AM
    You called it a big iPhone/iPad, but why? So if you already can say it is just a bigger version of another product, aren't you doing the exact same thing as those buying it without experiencing it?
    Well I wasn't the one who here in this thread who called it a big iPhone/iPad..(funny you say that because that was the first thing our of my wife's mouth when she saw it). I believe it to be someone else (Crackberry I believe). I understand your reasoning but I do not call it a failure as of yet, my problem is people calling it a success before it has even been used.. by 91,000+ blind buys.

My MacBook Pro 13" is very easy to carry... easy to keep on my lap as well as on the couch with no issues whatsoever so the iPad wouldn't replace my couching needs anytime soon. Heck I use my iPhone on my couch more than my MacBook.

Heck if I see some reasoning as to how it would fit my lifestyle I'll go get one, but as of now I just don't.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 03-15-10 at 09:01 AM.
    03-15-10 08:59 AM
    Really? you suffered?? Hahahahahahaha. It's just an IPAD lol. Does it suffer for you? When you get home after work or school is it happy to see you??? Hahahahahaha

Seriously guys WHO cares!!! No matter what apple does will sale. Most apple users don't even know why they use apple....it's just cool. the #1 reason for using apple.....it has less viruses. (doe's that explain the 1k over price??)

Your happy that the Ipad sold 90k+ pre launch??? why?? are you making money of it?

To be honest and fair 4 years now apple has been selling the same product to fan boys (yes you are a fan boy) when you suffer it makes you a fan boy. I haven't seen any real change in iphone, iphone 3g, iphone 3gs and now the super sized Ipad. And you still seem to think this is a supper product.

I agree. How many WEEKS did we have to suffer in the iphone subforum with BB fanboys saying how bad the ipad was, calling it maxipad, and starting thread after thread after thread clogging up or subforum?

Feels good to shut the naysayers up.
    03-15-10 09:34 AM
    The CEO of my favorite tech company can beat up the CEO of your favorite tech company!!!
    my CEO said to your CEO "im gonna set your flag on fire"
    03-15-10 09:39 AM
    Also brand loyalty (what a lot may call fanboyism) is not always a bad thing. Apple has awesome customer service and excellent products (build), so a lot of people trust that the device they're coming out with will at least provide the two above. Only other company off the top of my head that has that as well is Google (I'm sure there are more), but it's rare.
    Very good point. If having brand loyalty makes you a "fanboy" then everyone is a "fanboy" in one way or another. People often think because they don't find use for something, that others won't. Some people just don't need/want a laptop. Me and my wife both have laptops and wanna guess what she does on her laptop beside browsing the web? Absolutely nothing all at. She uses nothing else on the computer. She only picks it up when she wants to look on the Internet for something. No word processing, no spreadsheets, no games, no nothing. She is excited about this device because it will fit her needs of just being able to browse and she will of course play around with the applications, but she'd rather do it on their then trying to find applications on a PC. We can now sell her laptop and get the iPad for her. But that's just her.

In similar news, it's reported that the sales have topped 150k

Having PC problems at work. On BGR site.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 03-15-10 at 10:14 AM.
    03-15-10 10:04 AM
    iWhore buys all the iCrap and live in their iCult.

Do you really buy Apply products (like the iPad) for their "functionality" (if there's any) or issit for the cult status?!

i have nothing against Apple and i own some of their products but stuff like iPad just make me wonder if there is a need for this device at all. Do people really feel that they NEED an iPad or they THINK they need one just because the marketers in Apple say so?
    03-15-10 10:24 AM
    iWhore buys all the iCrap and live in their iCult.

Do you really buy Apply products (like the iPad) for their "functionality" (if there's any) or issit for the cult status?!

i have nothing against Apple and i own some of their products but stuff like iPad just make me wonder if there is a need for this device at all. Do people really feel that they NEED an iPad or they THINK they need one just because the marketers in Apple say so?
    I think in most cases we think we need a lot of things and buy it. Honestly, we've all bought some things that we have told ourself we need and have grown accustomed to having them. For instance, do you really need a 50 inch LCD with HD programming? No, but people that have those have created their own need. It wasn't that long ago that people who weren't business professionals just had normal flip phones. Now everyone "needs" to have access to their email all day long.

I think with most people, if you want something bad enough, you'll create the need for it use that as justification. Now people can't live without their blackberries and iPhone when 2 years ago they had neither but the functions of the devices now make us feel like we must have them. I have a friend that uses a regular flip phone and still does everything in a date calendar. He says anything that's not on the calendar isn't important enough and I'll check my email whenever I get to a computer. Most of us can get by on that, but why if you don't have to?

We make our own needs and companies exploit them all the time. Everyone 'needs' to have some GPS device in their car whether it's built in, portable or a cell phone as if they couldn't get by without it. It seems that's just how we are as people. We can live with the inconvenience if we want to but if something comes a long that is supposed to make life easier and a little more fun, we're more likely to make ourselves believe we must have it or we cannot function well enough without it. Seems more psychological than anything.
    03-15-10 10:40 AM
    I think in most cases we think we need a lot of things and buy it. Honestly, we've all bought some things that we have told ourself we need and have grown accustomed to having them. For instance, do you really need a 50 inch LCD with HD programming? No, but people that have those have created their own need. It wasn't that long ago that people who weren't business professionals just had normal flip phones. Now everyone "needs" to have access to their email all day long.

I think with most people, if you want something bad enough, you'll create the need for it use that as justification. Now people can't live without their blackberries and iPhone when 2 years ago they had neither but the functions of the devices now make us feel like we must have them. I have a friend that uses a regular flip phone and still does everything in a date calendar. He says anything that's not on the calendar isn't important enough and I'll check my email whenever I get to a computer. Most of us can get by on that, but why if you don't have to?

We make our own needs and companies exploit them all the time. Everyone 'needs' to have some GPS device in their car whether it's built in, portable or a cell phone as if they couldn't get by without it. It seems that's just how we are as people. We can live with the inconvenience if we want to but if something comes a long that is supposed to make life easier and a little more fun, we're more likely to make ourselves believe we must have it or we cannot function well enough without it. Seems more psychological than anything.
    This is a well thought out post, so I just want to make sure that this doesn't come across as arguing with you; because I agree with what you've written.

I just wanted to add that sometimes companies actually create these artificial needs. Nobody needed an iPad last year, but now that Apple has said (in less words) "you need this", a ton of people have decided that they need an iPad due to what they've been told by the parent company. I think another example could be made with the Blackberry storm, but you get the picture.
    03-15-10 11:46 AM
    This is a well thought out post, so I just want to make sure that this doesn't come across as arguing with you; because I agree with what you've written.

I just wanted to add that sometimes companies actually create these artificial needs. Nobody needed an iPad last year, but now that Apple has said (in less words) "you need this", a ton of people have decided that they need an iPad due to what they've been told by the parent company. I think another example could be made with the Blackberry storm, but you get the picture.
    Yes I completely agree. Anyone who has taken a marketing class should definitely know that. And even if a person hasn't taken that class, we can look around at some of the stuff we bought and really come to the conclusion that we could live with out it. Companies exploit our wants and make us think we need them. So now the thing we once wanted, is now the thing we need. Apple is no different. They are about making money just like anyone else. We can just think about how many times we've tried to convince someone to get a blackberry or an iPhone and tried to make it seem like the other person need the device in order to properly function. Companies come out all the time with stuff that no one has asked for but they will do their best to convince us to convince ourselves that we must have it. I drive a lexus gs300. And it's nice and somehow I have convince myself that I need heated seats, wood grain interior, V6 engine, power seats with memory, navigation, etc. Do I really need this thing? Probably not, but I told myself I do.

Even in economics it is taught that in a lot of cases supply creates demand. For instance, years ago they came out beanie babies and tickle me elmo. Who asked for a laughing doll that rolls around on the floor? But they made parents believe it was coolest and funniest toy and your children would love it. So it made parents feel like they needed to get it for their kids. And nowadays we have become so accustomed to new tech advances at the palm of our had we feel that we have to get the latest and greatest.

Like I said before, it wasn't that long ago that general consumers used on flip phone and the best thing about your phone was that it had a camera. Nowadays, people without jobs and don't do a lot of things feel like they need a blackberry or any other smartphone.

Gotta give the companies credit, they get our money as we always take the bait.
    03-15-10 12:01 PM
    Very well said. What they are doing is creating a need that does not exist. To be honest if you have a smart phone (Iphone, berry, Droid) anyone of those and you also have a laptop do you really need an Ipad? Chance are no. i am sure there is some people out there that could really use this but in all honesty I can't see a need for such a device. But apple has good clients, very loyal to the brand, so loyal they will buy anything apple makes just to say I have it. Like you said credit to those company's they created such brand loyalty they don't even have to spend so much on ads anymore. People pay for there products and advertise them for free on these forums and blogs..... And some even get hurt by negative comments towards there phone or tech gadget lol.

Yes I completely agree. Anyone who has taken a marketing class should definitely know that. And even if a person hasn't taken that class, we can look around at some of the stuff we bought and really come to the conclusion that we could live with out it. Companies exploit our wants and make us think we need them. So now the thing we once wanted, is now the thing we need. Apple is no different. They are about making money just like anyone else. We can just think about how many times we've tried to convince someone to get a blackberry or an iPhone and tried to make it seem like the other person need the device in order to properly function. Companies come out all the time with stuff that no one has asked for but they will do their best to convince us to convince ourselves that we must have it. I drive a lexus gs300. And it's nice and somehow I have convince myself that I need heated seats, wood grain interior, V6 engine, power seats with memory, navigation, etc. Do I really need this thing? Probably not, but I told myself I do.

Even in economics it is taught that in a lot of cases supply creates demand. For instance, years ago they came out beanie babies and tickle me elmo. Who asked for a laughing doll that rolls around on the floor? But they made parents believe it was coolest and funniest toy and your children would love it. So it made parents feel like they needed to get it for their kids. And nowadays we have become so accustomed to new tech advances at the palm of our had we feel that we have to get the latest and greatest.

Like I said before, it wasn't that long ago that general consumers used on flip phone and the best thing about your phone was that it had a camera. Nowadays, people without jobs and don't do a lot of things feel like they need a blackberry or any other smartphone.

Gotta give the companies credit, they get our money as we always take the bait.
    Last edited by TheBBman; 03-15-10 at 02:01 PM.
    03-15-10 01:17 PM
    the reason they have such a high turnout for this is because of the advertising for it. my own father knows almost nothing about the ipad but he wants to get 2 for the family on the day they come out. its just the appeal of it, not because its technologically advanced, not (necessarily) because anyone feels attached to apple, its just a nifty little gadget that the media makes you feel like you need
    03-15-10 01:39 PM
    Very well said. What they are doing is creating a need that does not exist. To be honest if you have a smart phone (Iphone, berry, Droid) anyone of those and you also have a laptop do you really need an Ipad? Change are no. i am sure there is some people out there that could really use this but in all honesty I can't see a need for such a device. But apple has good clients, very loyal to the brand, so loyal they will buy anything apple makes just to say I have it. Like you said credit to those company's they created such brand loyalty they don't even have to spend so much on ads anymore. People pay for there products and advertise them for free on these forums and blogs..... And some even get hurt by negative comments towards there phone or tech gadget lol.
    Yes I agree. We haven't seen that many commericials for the iPad. I have only seen the one at the Oscars but people know about it and even the people that don't like their products, spend time on their blogs explaining why they don't and offering free publicity. Seriously, when I load my RSS feeds there's at least 5 new article a day from BGR and Engadget about something that Apple is doing. And you have the NY times, USA today putting out articles about Apple's products, while they just sit back and watch everyone buy them. Right now, Apple puts out something new, everyone else will create the buzz.

There will be thousands of people buy a iPad that said, "I don't see the need for one of those". And eventually they decided to try after all the hype by others and then get one themselves. The companies put out something different and we create our own need for it. And when you have a brand name like Apple does, it's not hard to put out a product that many people will make themselves believe they need to have it. I will buy one because I actually think I can find it useful in my life. But I'm not sure yet and won't know until I've actually used it. Sometimes, I feel like my laptop is a waste because I only crack it open most time to surf the web. All the other functions are used very seldom. So I will just see how it works out.
    03-15-10 01:52 PM
    Exactly what I was thinking, I would like to know how many of those 91,000 buyers are Apple fanboy's that will buy anything as long as it has a apple on it with a bite taken from it.
    If I had to guess I would say 91,000.

I think the real test for the maxipad will be is 2-3 months after it's release. Will it still be selling like mad then?
    I'm quoting you here but I'm really speaking to the iFanboys, not you. No offense.

Selling like mad? That doesn't matter. miPad is just a low-spec glamour device for self-esteem impaired yuppies and people with more cash than brain cells. They keep trying to justify their purchases by teeming up with other lemmings who make the same purchasing mistakes, as if sales figures have any relation to how good or valuable something is. They don't. If you think lots of sales = goodness then all you Apple fanboys are gonna have to throw out your Macs and buy PCs. You're your own worst enemies, because on one hand you claim iAnything is the best because look how many other idiots just like me bought this overpriced, under-functioning piece of junk, but on the other hand you get spanked in the desktop and laptop market and you don't use the same "logic."

Nobody is going to argue Apple is a bad marketer. But that doesn't mean their products are worth jack.

Does the world really need an emasculated netbook that can't even multitask or show flash videos? I think not.
    03-15-10 02:32 PM

Does the world really need an emasculated netbook that can't even multitask or show flash videos? I think not.
    iPad isn't even a netbook. One can do everything on the netbook which can be done with a normal laptop/PC (other than gaming and stuffs like that).
    iPad is a gadget in between a phone and a netbook/laptop, yet running the same OS as the iPhone. Do you mean your iPhone ain't 'smart' enough to handle whatever applications the iPad has? Or do you need reading glasses that's why you're going for iBlow-up?
    Typing on the iPad gonna be iChallenge since everything is flat, even Steve JObs can't type properly on that thing. (Buying a dock station? Save the $, consider getting a proper netbook)

I do know of friends who see the need to have the iPad but others are just iWhore who wants to have the iLatest gadgets from Apple.
    03-15-10 02:50 PM
    91,000?! and on a PRE-ORDER, not even released in stores.

Sounds pretty "not a flop" to me by that trend. Sorry Apple haters, you fail yet again.
    Apple has the greatest idea.
    Create a product that is cool and affordable:
    $400
    By affordable i mean you can save a dollar a day and get one. then start saving for the next version next year.
    03-15-10 03:05 PM
    I look at it this way, people can do with their money what they want. I just know, I work too hard for my money to waste it on something that will probably sit on my desk in 6 months cause I only was able to come up with a use for it once. (besides the week of mindless trying to get it to do this or that, only to realize, my laptop does that much better, and my itouch fits in my pocket)
    03-15-10 03:11 PM
    If I had to guess I would say 91,000.

I'm quoting you here but I'm really speaking to the iFanboys, not you. No offense.

Selling like mad? That doesn't matter. miPad is just a low-spec glamour device for self-esteem impaired yuppies and people with more cash than brain cells. They keep trying to justify their purchases by teeming up with other lemmings who make the same purchasing mistakes, as if sales figures have any relation to how good or valuable something is. They don't. If you think lots of sales = goodness then all you Apple fanboys are gonna have to throw out your Macs and buy PCs. You're your own worst enemies, because on one hand you claim iAnything is the best because look how many other idiots just like me bought this overpriced, under-functioning piece of junk, but on the other hand you get spanked in the desktop and laptop market and you don't use the same "logic."

Nobody is going to argue Apple is a bad marketer. But that doesn't mean their products are worth jack.

I unsubscribed to this thread just because I don't need to get into an argument over Apple. You made some good points though. This just goes to show how well Apple is at marketing their products. iFanboys are their own worst enemies, they feed off each other, and everyone has to have the next best thing to top their other Apple buddies. That's one thing that Apple is really good at.

I despise Apple and it's evil dictator, but I don't deny that they are a great company that is obviously doing something right. They are good at telling people what they need and how they should use it. I like making my own decisions in life, so I'm not suckered into the Apple way of life, I feel sorry for those who are. That's why I love my BB, it gives me options. It conforms to my uses, not the other way around. I won't let any device or product tell me how I should use it. This is America here, the land of the free...
    03-15-10 03:40 PM
    Bad move on APPLE for not making the IPAD with a sim card and bluetooth and phone features.

If they did, with the large screen, old/mature people can experience the world of email without their glasses.

heck the people over 50 can use it as a giant iphone and sms/email without their glasses. I'm 25 and i think the sms feature is way too small...
    03-15-10 03:52 PM
    I unsubscribed to this thread just because I don't need to get into an argument over Apple. You made some good points though. This just goes to show how well Apple is at marketing their products. iFanboys are their own worst enemies, they feed off each other, and everyone has to have the next best thing to top their other Apple buddies. That's one thing that Apple is really good at.

I despise Apple and it's evil dictator, but I don't deny that they are a great company that is obviously doing something right. They are good at telling people what they need and how they should use it. I like making my own decisions in life, so I'm not suckered into the Apple way of life, I feel sorry for those who are. That's why I love my BB, it gives me options. It conforms to my uses, not the other way around. I won't let any device or product tell me how I should use it. This is America here, the land of the free...
    You're not making a choice with your device anymore than anyone else. Apple isn't forcing people to by anything. People by their products because of brand loyalty, they think it's cool, or they want the latest device out. So when people buy an Apple product, they are freely making a choice based or whatever they want..... since it's their choice. And whether you like to believe it or not, many people (especially on this site) buy blackberries because of the fad it's become since most people didn't care about blackberries 3-4 years ago. Everyone has a choice and some choose Apple and other don't. But at the end of the day, who cares? Some people just despise a company for no reason. When did Apple come out and say "Everyone must have an iPad"? They didn't. The press is coming from everyone else and not Apple.
    03-15-10 03:56 PM
    scorpiodsu, I completely agree with you, that's what it comes down to, a person will choose whatever they like. I had an iPod once, I loved it, until somebody stole it. Getting iTunes music to play on another device was not fun. Since then no Apple product has been good enough for me. I'm sure there will be many people that the iPad will fit perfectly. Like you said, I really don't care
    03-15-10 04:25 PM
    You're not making a choice with your device anymore than anyone else. Apple isn't forcing people to by anything. People by their products because of brand loyalty, they think it's cool, or they want the latest device out. So when people buy an Apple product, they are freely making a choice based or whatever they want..... since it's their choice. And whether you like to believe it or not, many people (especially on this site) buy blackberries because of the fad it's become since most people didn't care about blackberries 3-4 years ago. Everyone has a choice and some choose Apple and other don't. But at the end of the day, who cares? Some people just despise a company for no reason. When did Apple come out and say "Everyone must have an iPad"? They didn't. The press is coming from everyone else and not Apple.
    Agreed. You can despise Apple's ideals or business practices, but you can't hate them for something they didn't do. They didn't say that the iPad was the new jesus tablet and they didn't claim it could do anything more than it can. The fans and journalists are the ones that always start all these apple/anti apple wars.

Scenario 1
    Someone points out a legitimate problem with the i (Pad, Phone, Pod, etc) and a few Apple fans rush to defend their company, regardless of the facts presented. Then some Apple hater jumps down their throat for being a fanboy, and the war begins.

Scenario 2
    Someone points out a good point of the i (Pad, Phone, Pod, etc) and a few Apple haters jump down their throat regardless of the facts presented...

you get the point. Of course depending on the situation, you can swap Apple for almost any other major tech company. Sometimes it just gets tiring...you can't have a civil discussion because someone makes a good point, then someone else replies "oh ya, well you're a **** head fanboy!"
    03-15-10 04:29 PM
    Are companies creating a need or do people's needs change?

When the blackberry had a scroll wheel, people were like wow!
    Then people's phone/web habits changed and they 'needed' horizontal and vertical scrolling, hence the trackball.

With blackberrys having more 'scrolling power' they became more functional and thus used more often and outside the clean office environment. This resulted in the trackballs collecting dirt and getting jammed.

Now the blackberry has the ''optical trackpad''. It doesn't jam.

Do people ''need'' the optical trackpad? well i feel they do because now blackberrys are used more often and in dirtier environments.
    03-15-10 05:20 PM
    Just pre ordered mine can't wait to get it on the 3rd

03-15-10 05:36 PM
141 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD