iPad is nice but I dont need a oversized iPod Touch. I prefer my iPhone over the iPad. Much easier to carry around
    Me to, I'll carry my small 13" MacBook Pro with tons more functionality with very very very little added weight if any.

16GB...you're joking right..hmm good enough for 8-10 movies..
    03-13-10 06:10 PM
    And that's 91,000 less iPods they will sell. It evens out. Apple people want an Apple touch-toy style device. Windows people want a Windows touch-toy style device. Android people want an Android touch-toy device.

I want whatever one's cheapest so I can put Linux on it and make it useful instead. $180 12" 2 pane foldable tablet from PRC here I come. I "think" it runs Android, but as I said, I don't care

I could never understand why people worry so much about what others buy.
    03-13-10 06:15 PM
    At least us BB fanboys realize that. Apple boys think anything that drops is the be all and end all of everything they've ever needed. Really? A big iTouch that you can get a data plan on? What was the huge difference between the 3G and 3GS? And Apple will only release a phone once a year? How many does BB release?

I get your point, it does apply to all products that are out there. I just think it applies more to Apple and it's followers. Whatever though...
    What was the huge difference between 3G and 3GS? How about it having about twice as much everything? That's a pretty good reason to upgrade.
    03-13-10 06:20 PM
    More doesnt always mean better if one or 2 things changes between models. It almost seems RIM purposely leaves off one or 2 features to sell more phones, then adds those on a "new" phone 6 months later.
    Of course they do that. It makes them money. Apple does the same thing with their iPhone.
    03-13-10 06:25 PM
    91,000?! and on a PRE-ORDER, not even released in stores.

Sounds pretty "not a flop" to me by that trend. Sorry Apple haters, you fail yet again.
    It's selling a lot because that's what Apple does - sell on it's name. Magical and revolutionary? I think not. Just a giant iTouch to me.
    03-13-10 08:40 PM
    Just wait for it, the news on April 5th:

"90,999 iPads RETURNED!"

Lol no, it's an good device for some things, but not worth it for me..
    03-13-10 08:56 PM

Sounds pretty "not a flop" to me by that trend. Sorry Apple haters, you fail yet again.

That number covers a good pile of the fanboys. Apple fanboys would line up to by a bag of flaming iCrap if Apple sold it. The true test will be how it sells after the reviews are in, and how it impacts sales of their other devices.
    03-13-10 09:19 PM
    Again, same with BB fanboys who keep buying the same Berrycrap over and over when RIM releases it with 2 changes from the predecessor. It goes both ways with the fanboys as every platform has them, its not a working point to argue. EVERY device will sell a base number because of fanboys.

Of course the true test will come after release, but all the bashers who said theyd sell few to none are obviously wrong. Almost 100,000 in 6 hours isnt shabby at all for a pre-release
    Last edited by stuaw11; 03-13-10 at 10:08 PM.
    03-13-10 10:06 PM
    03-13-10 10:58 PM
    Lol, i used that as the basis for a semester project that I had to do in an information technology class. It was about how people give in to the mass market effect and buy crap, just because others said it was good.

I also thought I should mention that I agree with some of the posts about blackberry fanboys too.

All fanboys are the same, regardless of what their fanboyism is linked to. They refuse to accept that there are any shortcomings with their device of choice, and they would buy, like I said in my Apple fanboy example, a bag of crap with their company's logo on it.
    03-14-10 12:11 AM
    At least us BB fanboys realize that. Apple boys think anything that drops is the be all and end all of everything they've ever needed. Really? A big iTouch that you can get a data plan on? What was the huge difference between the 3G and 3GS? And Apple will only release a phone once a year? How many does BB release?

I get your point, it does apply to all products that are out there. I just think it applies more to Apple and it's followers. Whatever though...
    You realize that it's non-Apple fanboys (fanboys of other products) who say this statement over & over. I'm a tech guy, love everything and try everything and I've yet to hear one mac person say it's the "be-all-end-all" device.

But great opinion

91,000 is only because of APPLE reputation... not because anyone actually likes it...yet. 91,000 fanboys who will buy Apple strawberries if they so decide to grown them. Let's wait six months from now to determine it's success or lack thereof.
    So this means none of the 91,000 people actually like the device?

Or did you mean Apple reputation as having satisfaction ratings through the rough, having awesome customer service and building products that last and aren't flimsy?

And that's 91,000 less iPods they will sell. It evens out. Apple people want an Apple touch-toy style device. Windows people want a Windows touch-toy style device. Android people want an Android touch-toy device.

I want whatever one's cheapest so I can put Linux on it and make it useful instead. $180 12" 2 pane foldable tablet from PRC here I come. I "think" it runs Android, but as I said, I don't care

I could never understand why people worry so much about what others buy.
    I was looking for a "j/k" after the first sentence, even looked for invisible ink. Apple keeps settings records for sales, but somehow they're canabolizing their own sales? I think not. I actually think this is the reason they made it with iPhone OS & not mac OS. If I buy an iPad, it won't be able to replace my iPhone/iPod for when I'm at the gym, running or doing activities where I'm on the run. If they put mac OS on there, then that statement may have held some weight as a lot wouldn't need a macbook.

That number covers a good pile of the fanboys. Apple fanboys would line up to by a bag of flaming iCrap if Apple sold it. The true test will be how it sells after the reviews are in, and how it impacts sales of their other devices.
    Deja Vu to me... I heard this for the 2G (no mms, no 3G, no GPS, etc). Heard this for the 3G (still no mms, no 3MP+ camera, same as a 2G, but has 3G & GPS). Then I heard it for the 3Gs (no flash, camera should be at 5MP+, no multitasking). Yet, they keep selling & getting 90+ satisfaction ratings.
    03-14-10 01:03 AM
    With that said, I may be skipping the iPad now to get the Mini from Dell 5.
    03-14-10 01:03 AM

Yup, and i STILL cant use it as a main hub for my iTunes and sync my iPhone to it...
    03-14-10 04:15 AM
    I know I am going to at least try one before I write it off just like I do with every other device. I have an iPhone and a macbook so I will see how this fits into my life. I have already thought about some ways that this could be useful when I cannot use my iPhone or Macbook. For instance, I teach bible study at my church. And right now when I begin, I take up a binder with my notes usually 3-5 pages and my bible. I'm a tech guy and I love any chance to use tech to make my life easier. Now with an iPad instead of having all those other materials with me, I would just have the iPad up there as I will be able to go back and forth through my notes and the bible on their faster than flicking through several pages.

So I will at least try. I've seen preachers and teachers use small laptops and netbooks for the same, but in my opinion I would never use a laptop because I can't navigate with my fingers like I'd be able to on the iPad. There are some other instances where I could find it useful so only time will tell. But I won't judge until I've tried it for myself.

Also, some people are just jealous and Apple always laughs in everyone face when they are written off. We will just have to see if the same will happen here.
    03-14-10 09:34 AM
    So this means none of the 91,000 people actually like the device?

Or did you mean Apple reputation as having satisfaction ratings through the rough, having awesome customer service and building products that last and aren't flimsy?
    My thing is how do you "like" something you haven't had any experience with...

With that said, I may be skipping the iPad now to get the Mini from Dell 5.
    LMAO! wow..

I believe it mostly fanboys who are buying the iPad in addition to some regulars who have had a positive history with Apple. Do the stores have the iPad on display so that you can use it.. play with it.. test it?

Maybe the iPad will be a success but no one is going to tell me that the majority of that 91,000 aren't APPHeads of which Apple could NEVER do anything wrong.

I love most Apple products but I'm not so delusional to think everything they come out with is the equivalent to the cup Jesus drank out of.
    Lets put the JesusPad (wait we don't have it yet) and JesusJuice down first and actually USE it to determine wether it has any other use but to make Apple and Book Publishers rich.
    Here is to the 91,000 soon to be iPad owners:

***PRE-ORDER SPECIAL*** You Tweeted, we listened! Pre-order your iMaxi before March 30 and get $10 off of our $40 list price!

Introducing Hip Handmaids’ exclusive iMaxi—the only Apple iPad case made with protective wings!

With its durable vinyl outer layer and plush, quilted-cotton sleeve, the iMaxi helps keep your iPad clean and dry. Plus, the iMaxi's Velcro-latched, advanced wing design wraps snugly around your device, so your iPad always stays where it should. Best of all, it shields it from all those unsightly and embarrassing data leaks that would make any motherboard worry!

Each handmade iMaxi can be easily customized to fit your active lifestyle. Please view other listings for different color options including our uh... "lived in" red thread interior. If you don’t see a color you like, just ask!

It's the perfect one-of-a-kind embarrassing gift for the Apple geek in your life! Don’t be caught letting your iPad show!

PRE-ORDER YOUR iMaxi CASE TODAY!

-----------------------------------------------
    SPECS
    Size (open): 22.5 x 26.5 inches
    Interior Sleeve: 10.25 inch opening
    Weight: Light as a feather
    -----------------------------------------------

ABOUT THE iPad:
    Apple's iPad will be available starting late March. Visit: Apple - iPad - See the web, email, and photos like never before.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 03-14-10 at 04:57 PM.
    03-14-10 12:47 PM

I was looking for a "j/k" after the first sentence, even looked for invisible ink. Apple keeps settings records for sales, but somehow they're canabolizing their own sales? I think not. I actually think this is the reason they made it with iPhone OS & not mac OS. If I buy an iPad, it won't be able to replace my iPhone/iPod for when I'm at the gym, running or doing activities where I'm on the run. If they put mac OS on there, then that statement may have held some weight as a lot wouldn't need a macbook.
    You didn't find it because it wasn't there. With no iPad those 91,000 people would have likely bought an iPod instead, not counting the folks who ordered one simply because it's Apple. (I don't count blind loyalty to any product as a good representation of it sales. Same goes for the next BlackBerry or the next Win7 phone...some will buy just because of the name). Lets be honest. Take the iPad out of the picture. You will be getting a Mini5, I'll be getting a Huawei or something similar, but most people in the market for a non-cellular PDA/Time waster would have gotten an iPod eventually.

I don't see Apple tossing out sales projections for the iPod this year. I'm sure even they understand this will eat into iPod sales. It should. It's a great little device for a lot of folks, and is a direct upgrade to the iPod 8G they got last year.

I'm not knocking it. I'll probably get one for the wife to have at her reading chair - to replace her iPod.
    03-14-10 06:39 PM
    Duvi is saying that it wont cannibalize ipod/iphone sales though.

The iPad isnt something you can stick in your pocket and go to work, school, out shopping, the gym, etc. with. It doesnt replace an ipod or iphone, merely supplements it for home and maybe at work use. Its not something youll really be out using on the go as much an an ipod or iphone thats more portable.

A lot of ipad sales come from current iphone/ipod touch users who want a bigger screen device to use at home and work for doing email, browsing, etc. It doesnt mean itll replace their "on the go" device or iphone (being a phone).
    03-14-10 06:43 PM
    Duvi is saying that it wont cannibalize ipod/iphone sales though.

The iPad isnt something you can stick in your pocket and go to work, school, out shopping, the gym, etc. with. It doesnt replace an ipod or iphone, merely supplements it for home and maybe at work use. Its not something youll really be out using on the go as much an an ipod or iphone thats more portable.

A lot of ipad sales come from current iphone/ipod touch users who want a bigger screen device to use at home and work for doing email, browsing, etc. It doesnt mean itll replace their "on the go" device or iphone (being a phone).
    It could be pretty useful for people going to college. Just imagine not having to carry around any textbooks and just saving them to your iPad.
    03-14-10 07:18 PM
    Well point being is it isnt meant to replace an ipod as a portable music player or your iphone as a phone.
    03-14-10 07:42 PM
    Other than the obvious - price, what is the benefit of the iPad over let's say a regular MacBook? Even at it's lowest cost $499, is the iPad $500 better than a MacBook. Is the $499 16GB iPad that much better than a $399 complete Windows 7 full featured 13"-14" notebook? I just don't get it other than the "cool" factor, what is there left?
    03-14-10 10:14 PM
    Other than the obvious - price, what is the benefit of the iPad over let's say a regular MacBook? Even at it's lowest cost $499, is the iPad $500 better than a MacBook. Is the $499 16GB iPad that much better than a $399 complete Windows 7 full featured 13"-14" notebook? I just don't get it other than the "cool" factor, what is there left?
    Easy answer for you it was built to be a median between the iphone and macbook, not to be better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-10 10:17 PM
    Easy answer for you it was built to be a median between the iphone and macbook, not to be better.

Exactly. The problem is, how many intermediate devices are necessary? Will the next evolution be a device somewhere between the tablet and a smart phone?

The iPad does have a target demographic, and nobody is quite sure what it is. I, like several others believe that it is targeted at elderly people, and people who currently don't own a computer, and are looking for a way to ease themselves into this "newfangled" technology world.

Keeping that in mind, there is bound to be some overlap in product lines. Some laptop users will want a touchscreen device without sacrificing too much size. Some smart phone users will want a bigger device, without sacrificing the simplicity of touch input. But what if users already have both devices? The third device may just not be necessary.

I can see the argument from both sides, but I think the only safe bet is to wait and see what happens.
    03-14-10 10:45 PM

There lies the problem. Having both I can't figure it into the equation. It's not really much better than my iPhone at video playback (bigger screen is only real plus) while still being smaller than my MacBook at 13". It's not better at surfing the web than my 3GS is (speed wise it is) when it lacks the same **** like Flash support. I need additional gear to make it more than a novelty in class (keyboard/stand).

For 500 I get a product that isn't better than what I have at anything really other than reading books.

03-14-10 11:00 PM
    03-14-10 11:07 PM

I didn't know one existed I mean.. I supposed if I really closed my eyes really really hard I can pretend there is one.

The iPad - Apple's Portable Apple TV..
    03-14-10 11:16 PM
141 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD