I always tell people that if they really want a BB to go with any phone in their line-up that fits them. But I do steer them away from the Storm. It just is not an efficient or well thought out device.

The iPhone is really easy to just pick up and use. Not to mention all the great apps that are available. The ONLY drawback to the iPhone is the network its on. That's not a small deal neither unfortunately. Beside that its an awesome fun phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    True but again, this all depends on where you live. I have superb service in Dallas/Fort Worth area and just about any place I travel. The only places I don't have service is the places I don't have with any carrier.
    02-07-09 09:41 PM
    storm all the way, duh.
    02-07-09 09:58 PM
    storm all the way, duh.
    Wow. What a compelling argument.
    02-07-09 10:04 PM
    I have an iPod Touch 2nd Generation & a Blackberry Storm (3G Verizon). Since most of my family and my work is on the Verizon network, I feel forced to stay with them. I have several friends who have iPhones on the AT & T Network and swear by it. Although a few of them admit to dropping calls and not having access to their network in certain locations. I absolutely love my Touch 2nd Gen! If the iPhone would come to Verizon, I'd jump ship in a heartbeat.

I'd love to be able to have all of my songs, apps, and work stuff all on one handheld, however, until Apple decides to deal with Verizon, I'm stuck with using the best of what Verizon has to offer. As a result, I'm a double-fister...one hand on my BB and one hand on my Touch.

The Storm 9530 is still a little buggy even after their most recent OS update (but I'll admit that the original iPhone suffered from growing pains for their first year as well). I like the touchscreen on a Blackberry but the BB browser and the optional Opera Mini browser is soooo much slower than Safari on my Touch. No WiFi on the Storm stinks! Regardless of what the die-hards tell you, the 3G network is NOT as fast as a WiFi network. I'd like to have a choice.

Due to the state of the economy, many companies are ditching their BB Enterprise Server. Instead they're telling their employees they have to go with the Internet Service (and go through their email web server). They're also starting to push Windows Mobile phones as well. Heck with the security....it's all about the bottom line. My company is in the process of doing this very thing....and it's a LARGE organization. BB needs to wake up and stop charging so much for their Enterprise Server license if they expect to stay in business with the "big boys".

If you have to stay with Verizon, the benefits of the BB Storm over the other choices is the nice big screen. Much easier to see than any other mobile phone (including any of the Windows Mobile phones). Better browsing experience because of the big screen. Better email experience because of the landscape view and big screen.

The virtual keyboard stinks. Unlike the virtual keyboard on the iPhone, which shows the letter you're touching above your finger, the blue glow beneath your finger on the Storm is completely pointless.

The clickable screen slows typing considerably. By the time you click the letter (depressing the screen) and move to a different letter, the screen has to come up before depressing it again. This causes a delay in texting. The iPhone/Touch keyboard is 100% better and faster.

Comparing App Stores between Apple & BB is pointless. BB has barely scratched the surface. In fact, I'd be embarrassed to call it an "App Store" at this stage of the game. You'd think they would have actually offered more than a grand total of 5 apps before even considering opening shop.

I'd consider the Bold or Curve on the Verizon network if they had a larger screen. I'm on computers all day long and suffer from enough eye strain without having to go with a "micro-screen" on my mobile phone. I love the nice big screens on my Touch and Storm.

Of course....that's just my opinion.... :-)
    02-07-09 10:12 PM
    Well said kfadams.

I work for a national bank and we have actually shut down the BES servers and have migrated to Exchange. Not only to BES add additional expense in the extra hardware and licensing, but they hammer the resources of an Exchange Server with the constant syncing. It has been estimated that about 50% of the ES resources are used just syncing with the BES.

I was shocked when the bank decided to start issuing iPhones at the end of last year. Exchange is not as secure as BES, but most of us aren't really exchanging state secrets. Even with a BES you aren't guaranteed security. Why do you think the President can't use his for anything but personal use?

Anyway, great post. I think most peoples problem with the iPhone is the fact that Apple has come along and took a big chunk out of RIM. RIM is and has been a giant for a long time and it's hard to accept that Apple has come along and in a little over a year and a half commanded such attention and market share. Enough to make the giant so nervous that they rushed their iPhone killer to market and disappointed a heck of a lot of hard core RIM users who were expecting much more out of such an established company.

I say iPhone killer because that was how it was marketed. I saw the marketing materials VZW issued to their reps on how to explain how the Storm was an iPhone killer.
    02-07-09 10:30 PM
    @evilhommer I think you are 100% correct about the BB app store.

I think it will turn out to be a huge disappointment for a lot of berry owners.

02-07-09 10:39 PM
    I have to say that I came into this forum torn between the two, as well. And now i'm leaving even worse...lol. Everyone makes valid points. I guess its your own personal preference. My big issue with the Iphone is that you have to do everything thru Itunes or apple...etc. It just seems like a huge monopoly I dont want to be a part of.
    02-07-09 11:28 PM
    I have to say that I came into this forum torn between the two, as well. And now i'm leaving even worse...lol. Everyone makes valid points. I guess its your own personal preference. My big issue with the Iphone is that you have to do everything thru Itunes or apple...etc. It just seems like a huge monopoly I dont want to be a part of.
    If you don't like Apple then you probably aren't going to want the iPhone. BTW: Did you type this from your Windows computer? Just wondering since you feel like Apple is a "monopoly".
    02-07-09 11:35 PM
    If you don't like Apple then you probably aren't going to want the iPhone. BTW: Did you type this from your Windows computer? Just wondering since you feel like Apple is a "monopoly".
    No it was on my Macbook Pro...lol. Jk
    02-08-09 12:50 PM
    I was using the Treo 700W and loving how the wireless sync worked with my Outlook. Within 30 seconds it would update my phone or Outlook email, contacts, calendar, notes, To-Do list, update documents, you name it.

Well, ever since the iPhone came out I've been eying it. I heard all the Kool-Aid being spilled about the NEW TOUCH PHONE from Verizon and thought I'd wait. I went to the Verizon store when the Storm was released last November in DESPERATE need of upgrading my phone since I've had that Treo about wore out.

The Verizon store I went to had 3 Storms on display. I went to the first one and instantly it made me frown. It was really slow to respond to ANYTHING. I thought someone screwed with it and has something messed up. I grabbed the second one and the same was going on with it. Then the third SAME THING!! It would take 3-5 seconds for all of them to respond to turning it on its side. Not to mention it wasn't responding to me typing on it. Needless to say, I was looking at other phones within 5 minutes of touching the first Storm.

Well, before going to the Verizon store I talked to quite a few BB users since I've never used BB before. They all loved them. So did everyone I talked to who had an iPhone. I have tried AT&T service. I bought a contract and phone with them about a year and a half ago. I was NOT impressed. I don't have to explain how the customer NO-Service was because everyone has mentioned it here already. So, before the return period was up I took it back.

This research I did prompted me to stay with Verizon. I ended up getting the 8330 Curve. At first it was ok. I still think it's a great phone but I have one MAJOR issue with it. Email... Everyone said how the email on BB can not be beat. I do like the pop3 accounts, but absolutely despise the fact that I have to delete email off both Outlook and the BB. And the email delete on BB is slow since it's one by one. I can get up to 100+ emails per day during the week. Not fun!!

Now, I did try the BB Desktop Re-director. That was a joke. Why does DR have to send me its own message before sending me my email message??? Now I just doubled my email to my BB....

Now, I know about BES, do I want to pay the extra fees, NO! Why?? Doesn't make sense to me.. I'm a small business owner on the road a lot and need to get email without being next to my desktop or laptop.

I'm at the point where I'm about to sell my Curve and get another Treo700W on eBay until my contract is up. Then see what's new on the market...

Anyone have ideas on how to get the email issue worked out without BES? If I can, I'll most likely stay with BB and not look back at the Treo...

John
    02-08-09 01:54 PM
    the storm is the worst of both worlds (no keypad, crappy 3rd party apps). Get a qwerty bb, or the iphone imo
    02-09-09 12:59 PM
    I didn't read nearly all these replies, but I can summarize my decision process about a month ago when I was trying to decide between the two. Ended up with the Storm, a couple good friends have the iPhone so I have seen in general what it is like although haven't gotten to play with it much personally. I don't know how much all of this is completely true, but what I generally picked up from reviews I read as well as personal experience now. Most of the reviews didn't include stuff you can get by unlocking your iPhone.

Storm Pro's:
    - Email, the typical Blackberry strong point. Easier to setup than any desktop client I've ever used, and often has them faster than Apple Mail does checking every minute.
    - More audio and video formats. Wouldn't have been a huge issue since I have a Mac and end up converting most things to Mac-friendly anyway, but it does make things easier.
    - Changeable memory card instead of being stuck with whatever hard drive you buy at first.
    - Voice quality if you're one of those crazy people who actually want your smartphone as a phone instead of just all the other features :P
    - MMS
    - Not a factor in the US, but in Canada, Telus (Storm) is a better network and cheaper than Rogers (iPhone)
    - Can leave multiple applications running at once
    - Camera: video, light, and higher quality (3.2 MP instead of 2.0)
    - Copy and Paste
    - Design of the phone is more rugged and solid for heavy use rather than shiny just to look pretty
    - GPS is apparently a bit stronger; no tests myself to confirm
    - Changeable battery

iPhone Pro's:
    - Multitouch allows for some nice interface bonuses like zooming in and out easier
    - Media Player is nicer to look at, but has basically the same functionality
    - BROWSER! Massively. Storm browser sucks compared to iPhone's, but since I got Bolt it isn't as big of a deficit as it was at first at least - although Safari is still significantly better than Bolt even.
    - Google Maps is better than Blackberry Maps, and Google Maps doesn't work with the Storm's GPS yet
    - Syncs properly with a Mac, although I didn't know the Storm wouldn't in advance. PocketMac is garbage and ended up having to buy Missing Sync.
    - Came out earlier so far ahead in applications. Won't really count within another few months, though.

Personal Preference:
    - Clickable screen of the Storm versus straight touch on the iPhone. I actually like the clickable better for the menus, browser, everything except typing. Gives a much better sense of control to me, and I think I'd accidentally touch stuff too much on an iPhone. It slows you down typing because you have to wait for it to pop up from the previous letter before the next one can register - leads to missing letters if you type fast.
    - Most reviews seem to dislike SureType, but I love it. Occassionally it screws me up picking the wrong word - like St all the time instead of at - but for the most part its much faster. Not sure if the iPhone has similar or not.

I went for the Storm because the only huge advantage I knew of for the iPhone was the browser, and I don't browse much. Basically everything else was more important to me than that: email and camera especially. And the difference between Telus and Rogers here in Canada. If I had known about the troubles I would have syncing with my Mac it would have been a slightly closer race, but I still would have ended up with a Storm I think.
    02-09-09 04:57 PM
    I have to be honest and say that I have noticed a lot of people are addicted to bb

however for me it was offered amongst a few as an upgrade, the hype and publicity has been huge for the storm in the u.k. so I thought why not try one

i feel the phone is not destined to be in my pocket too long and the iphone might be on the list.

has anyone been in a similar position?
    02-12-09 05:09 PM
    In response to a post above. You don't have to delete emails one at a time on a BlackBerry. You can shift + scroll to select multiple emails and then hit menu > delete. You can also highlight a day's header and hit menu > delete prior. Finally, you can highlight the current day's header and hit menu > delete prior to clear the entire mailbox.

Last edited by CrazEtooN; 02-12-09 at 11:05 PM.
    02-12-09 11:03 PM
89 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD