Hi all.

Currently I have a Verizon BB Storm and lately I have been wondering if an iPhone is more for me. I really like the storm, but I realized that I really just use my phone for internet browsing an texting. I talk on the phone for short periods of time. I do have my gmail account linked to it but just for personal use, not business.

I have until Friday to return the storm and get the iphone. I played with one today and my goodness everything is so smooth! Is the iphone worth breaking a contract for if I want a multimedia phone?

Thanks!
    12-17-08 11:51 PM
    boooooooooo
    12-18-08 12:02 AM
    Hi all.

Currently I have a Verizon BB Storm and lately I have been wondering if an iPhone is more for me. I really like the storm, but I realized that I really just use my phone for internet browsing an texting. I talk on the phone for short periods of time. I do have my gmail account linked to it but just for personal use, not business.

I have until Friday to return the storm and get the iphone. I played with one today and my goodness everything is so smooth! Is the iphone worth breaking a contract for if I want a multimedia phone?

Thanks!

I have used both devices quite a bit and here is my opinion on the iphone 3G:

Cons:

-does not have MMS
    -does not have copy/paste feature
    -my company will not let iphone on the enterprise
    -email is not as good

Pros:

-better broswer
    -better apps
    -touch screen is much more responsive and accurate
    -screen is sealed. Does not get dirt and water under screen

There are others but these are just my biggest issues between the two
    Last edited by Garz; 12-18-08 at 12:17 AM.
    12-18-08 12:15 AM
    Cons:

-does not have MMS - can be done by jailbreaking
    -does not have copy/paste feature - can be done by jailbreaking as well
    -my company will not let iphone on the enterprise - since it's for your personal gmail only, you won't have to worry about this.
    -email is not as good - if you don't mind fetch (every 15 minutes), iPhone has this category as well.
    Also... you stated you want it for media, what device does it better in a way you like?

Media done the best on the iPhone:
    You have the iPod on the iPhone
    Safari for browsing
    App Store for apps
    Youtube app
    Last edited by Jayden0606; 12-18-08 at 12:49 AM.
    12-18-08 12:42 AM
    Also... you stated you want it for media, what device does it better in a way you like?

Media done the best on the iPhone:
    You have the iPod on the iPhone
    Safari for browsing
    App Store for apps
    Youtube app
    yes the media is awesome on the iphone! I accidently left that one out.
    12-18-08 12:44 AM
    There is no jailbreak for the 3G yet

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-08 01:49 AM
    There is no jailbreak for the 3G yet

it has been out for a while and for the newest software 2.2

QuickPWN
    12-18-08 06:59 AM
    it has been out for a while and for the newest software 2.2

QuickPWN
    Although, don't try to QuickPWN on the new MacBooks or MBPs... Apple has disabled the ability for iTunes to recognize the 3G on these newer cpus once the iPhone is in DFU mode (which you have to been in for a j/b)
    12-18-08 08:19 AM
    Jailbreaking is the only way to go if u wanna customize your iPhone the way "you" want and not steve jobs.
    12-18-08 09:21 AM
    I tend to agree, but I have not been able to experience it yet, cuz I bought a new MBP at release...

The jb procedures won't work on my computer... and that is where I sync with iTunes/iPhoto etc
    12-18-08 12:15 PM
    If I had to choose between storm and iphone, I'd probably go for iphone. Luckily I have a bold so I don't need to worry about it.

12-18-08 12:39 PM
    People are returning the Storm far beyond any other phone from RIM. The Phone is not ready for the market.
    12-18-08 12:47 PM
    I have seen a few Storms on the train and have never used one, however, my iPhone is the best piece of electronic equipment I own.

I highly recommend the iPhone to anyone even remotely interested in mobile web surfing and multimedia.
    12-18-08 12:54 PM
    I can't comment on the Storm since I've haven't used one yet (they look cool) but I will say that the iPhone is awesome for surfing and texting (your main activities?) I would recommend one too.
    12-18-08 01:15 PM
    Hi all.

Thanks!
    Yes....do it....you won't regret it at all....ESPECIALLY seeing what you use the device for. If I were you I wouldn't even finish reading this sentence before I made the switch....lol

Stop reading...get up from the computer and do it!

I said STOP READING...LOL
    12-18-08 02:20 PM
    Storm is a phone and email device first for enterprise stuff - it has very few apps in comparison and no wi-fi... it DOES have Verizion's awesome network.

iPhone is a media/web device first with email and phone added on - it has lots of apps to make it do non-phone things. It lives on a network that is nowhere near as solid.

Your dilemma is the same one a LOT of us face... here's my personal (no need to flame) opinion...
    I love Verizon - had Cingular years ago and it wasn't pretty... that said - I'm gonna pick up an iPhone in the next few weeks for the 30 day trial period and see how it goes. I'm more along the lines of your usage profile - I like surfing, texting and email (but the Exchange integration is fine) - I have a BB 8830, like it a ton - but for surfing it's weak...

My hands on time with the Storm - and the pundit reviews - and the forums - all tell me the Storm is less than it should/could be.

If I can add in all the app functionality Apple has NOW - I think the iPhone is it... for me.
    Last edited by fishpick; 12-18-08 at 02:26 PM. Reason: iMessedUp
    12-18-08 02:22 PM
    Oh whoops...I didn't know its been out. My fault

12-18-08 02:23 PM
    Storm is a phone and email device first for enterprise stuff - it has very few apps in comparison and no wi-fi... it DOES have Verizion's awesome network.

iPhone is a media/web device first with email and phone added on - it has lots of apps to make it do non-phone things. It lives on a network that is nowhere near as solid.

Your dilemma is the same one a LOT of us face... here's my personal (no need to flame) opinion...
    I love Verizon - had Cingular years ago and it wasn't pretty... that said - I'm gonna pick up an iPhone in the next few weeks for the 30 day trial period and see how it goes. I'm more along the lines of your usage profile - I like surfing, texting and email (but the Exchange integration is fine) - I have a BB 8830, like it a ton - but for surfing it's weak...

My hands on time with the Storm - and the pundit reviews - and the forums - all tell me the Storm is less than it should/could be.

If I can add in all the app functionality Apple has NOW - I think the iPhone is it... for me.
    I find that service varies by location, and where I live, Sprint is the best network.

Obviously I'm not THAT stupid to sign with them. http://images.crackberry.com/forum_i...es/biggrin.gif

I have had ZERO problems with AT&T and the reception on my iPhone has been great.
    12-18-08 02:31 PM
    I think it def. depends where you live and where your going to use your phone. I recently left verizon and switched to AT&T here in Reno, the phone was cool. I did like it but the sevice both for phone calls and trying to resolve my issues with the phone were terrible. I took it back within a week because I need a dependable phone for calls first and foremost. They even tried to make it hard for me to get my money back after owning it a week. I came back to verizon and they told me about the storm so I purchased one. The phone does have a few bugs that I have noticed but I def. love the phone. The bottom line here in Reno is that my phone works as a phone first. The other stuff the phone does is just added entertainment. I think I would def. go with the storm again though even if the iphone was offered by verizon. I use the phone as an ipod the least. Good luck with your decision.
    12-20-08 10:32 PM
    I currently have a Storm and love it. Don't be fooled by some about quality, returns or not being ready for market. The Storm is a good phone right now!

With that being said, IMO, if the coverage is there for you with AT&T, I would suggest the iPhone. It doesn't really sound like you need or want all of the Storm and me personally, that Safari is a killer. The apps would be there for you right now with the iPhone and not have to wait like the Storm. It doesn't sound like you have to depend on emails, but rather just like to get them. Everything adds up to a iPhone!! Good luck.
    12-24-08 04:13 PM
    I have felt your pain too, i was torn just as bad between the two. (and the omni, bold and htc touch pro, and saga!!!!)

i ALMOST switched to at&t to get the iphone. I was having trouble with the storm, some things were bothering me about it, especially was mad i couldnt donwload files larger than 5mb which meant no downloading podcasts, etc.

But then i started researching the iphone more, and more importantly at&t. I talked to lots of people with at&t in my area, and to my surprise, they all hate it. most of them were stuck on it for various reasons.... most common being

1) my company supplies at&t cells only, 2) my wife/mom/husband is paying for it 3) i am stuck in a contract

to my surprise only one or two people actually said they have it cause they like the service. the most common complaint, DROPPED CALLS. some how at&t is pro at dropping calls and the iphone doesnt disappoint when it comes to dropping calls.

plus at&t would require a credit check. i hate doing credit checks, in this terrible credit market we have now i want my score to be as high as possible, everyone knows doing credit checks hurts your scores (it did when i worked for nextel atleast)
    so thats another annying thing. we used to tell customers "oh its nothing, probably wont take off more than a couple points" but a couple points could mean the difference between top tier loans now adays. plus if you did other inquires, when they add up its bad. idk, maybe they dont hurt anymore, but id rather not deal with it anyways.

now regarding the iphone itself. i was excited about jailbreaking, i am a linux nerd and thought hte idea of sshing and sftp'ing to my phone was so damn cool. plus all the apps and games. plus a phone with a proximity sensor!!! woah wouldnt mute my calls! plus the multitouch. and of course safari and wifi!!! plus in my area the entire network is 3g, and since its one of the most major markets i wouldnt be surprised if we get 7.2 and 14.x speeds first.

BUT the more i researched it the more i was a little iffy about.

everyone knows about the no mms, i didnt care about that, no copy and paste, i didnt care about that. no video camera, i didnt care about that.
    so i was like ok this is good, its cons are not big deals to me.

BUT then there are things like the battery that cant be replaced. so i am thinking no biggy i am sure a tech nerd like me can do it easily. but after a quick google i couldnt believe how much of a pain it really was. i thought it would be like doing a battery in a zune, lol, its not.

next, NO INSURANCE?!?!?!?! WTF!?! too expensive of a phone to not have insurance. $70 protection plan??? that only covers defects? WTF? plus they wont replace the battery under that plan till its HALF gone. lol so they wont replace it till it dies after 8 hours of standby?

then the no back button! argh. use the phone you will see why it needs it. no menu button, no options. pain to exit the program to find the options.
    the no multitask sucks. if you want to stream orb, etc while browsing? nope, cant do it. only can multitask certain native apps.

plus i really like the click screen now, i am one that thinks it should be optional for typing ONLY, but i love it for everyhting else. its great and i wouldnt want to use a phone without it.

cydia is cool, jail breaking s cool, i cant deny tht. the games are cool. the hardware 3d acceleration is cool. the gestures and flick scrolling are cool.

but combined with the cons and at&t, i decided to pass.

but you can see why i was torn.

maybe if it comes to verizon in a few years and one of the new form factors that have been floated like the slider pro or something, maybe i will switch. but for now, i am sticking with verizon and that means the storm.

as far as other verizon options, the htc touch pro and omnia suck, i used them. and i LOVE winmo, but these phones suck compared to the storm.

i hope this rambling helps. its my view of it. take it for what you want.
    01-01-09 05:26 PM
    I agree with Cray1000 in all respects. In my view, to put it simple, the Storm is like carrying around a desktop in your pocket and that's why I like it. The options far outsurpass the iPhone which my wife has.

I purchased the iTouch before the Storm. I was going to sell the iTouch but decided to keep it for media only and wifi access around the house. Although, Apple's wifi works only at home and at Dunkin Doughnuts. I couldn't get it to work in two airports and a Starbucks even after applying the procedures that Apple suggested when running into connectivity problems. Apple itself explains in the manual that the iseries work better with broadband wifi. It worked in a Vegas hotel, but tripped all over itself when I tried to do some work as a seller on eBay.

As an IT veteran of 24 years, any new product as sophisticated as the Storm will have bugs when it is first released. I've only encountered one with voice command but have read others here in the forums. My problem is easily fixed with a reset. Blackberry has been around for a long time and has proven their expertise in this area. With another formal release or two I am confident the Storm will surpass the iPhone.

What I like about the Storm vs the iPhone:

Touchpad: keying text is a great deal more accurate

Modem capability for your laptop

Incredible variety of options and settings

Microsoft interfaces such as Dataviz for Word, Excel, Etc. (Remember the iPhone is Apple and I have too much invested in Windows to switch now)

Number of third parties that develop Blackberry Apps

And of course, Verizon. Been with them for about 10 years and never had problems. I've been all over the country and when others phones have no signal, I always do.

It's a tough decision, but I wouldn't pay to back out of the contract at this point. Stick out the contract and in two years you will be able to make a better and informed decision.

Just my thoughts, hope it helps..
    01-01-09 06:29 PM
    Apple would have to drop the ball big time to let RIM catch up to them in the touch screen only phone business... sorry, don't buy it. Apple got their hardware with the first iPhone dead on - first try. What is RIMs excuse? Just a very lousy attempt of a touch screen phone. And I wanted to like it. 3rd party apps? Apple has so many more than RIM at the moment. Dataviz is releasing Docs 2 go for the iPhone soon as well.

If you want a touch screen phone get a iPhone 3G. Or wait until this summer. There will be a new one out.
    01-01-09 07:49 PM
    bad ash

what will be out this summer? a new iphone or a new blackberry?
    01-03-09 06:35 PM
    bad ash

what will be out this summer? a new iphone or a new blackberry?
    I was referring to a new iphone.

01-03-09 06:44 PM
89 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD