..and this is coming from a guy who loves his iPhone. Just saw this on Twitter. I really like my iphone, but there is no way I would spend what Apple is going to want on an 8" ipad. Its not that big of a leap from my iphone.

Playbook for the win, especially with OS2 and the price point. I think RIM is really going to shine (call me crazy), but I hope they market the PB with the OS2 launch and really hit it home about its feature set, its value, and its build quality. I dont think there is anything out there that compares, especially at this price point.

Report: Apple Testing Smaller, 8-Inch iPad With 4G LTE | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
    02-14-12 08:47 AM
    Yes, but Apple will spend several trillion dollars in propaganda convincing the flock that 8" is THE only acceptable screen size if one opts to buy smaller then 10", and that anything else is unacceptable. Of course, with such an advertising expenditure, they will convince the fan base that spending 2 to 3 times more for that extra inch of goodness over a 7 incher will be well worth it.
    02-14-12 09:00 AM
    I dont really care what size screen apple bring the ipad out in, i wouldnt buy one for just two reasons.

Overhyped and overpriced.
    02-14-12 09:01 AM
    If price point is an issue, the recent rise for the PB back to higher prices would probably have deterred me as well I'll admit. With the insanely fast pace at which these devices are evolving in hardware/software I'm not really willing to invest more than a couple hundred bucks in a tablet. Heck, even laptops move forward at a slower pace than this. I think tablet manufacturers noticing the hype have entered an arms race over these things but I'm not shelling out the bucks to support that. Luckily this year it appears that the fight is also moving into the 200-ish dollar tablet range so I hope that trend continues.
    02-14-12 09:09 AM
    At lease Apple understands the importance of advertisement. I prefer Blackberry products, but RIM needs to take notes on marketing.
    kbz1960, bigbmc26, jelp2 and 4 others like this.
    02-14-12 09:10 AM
    It just frustrates me that RIM has a really good product, its well built, it doesnt crash and lock up, ... Yes, it was missing some things on OS1, but OS2 looks really solid. They need to get this on TV and have a smart campaign. Apple worked cause of those Apple vs PC ads. It was smart. RIM is business first, I understand that... But the general user doesnt give a sh*it about that. You need to have fun and work all in one device, and the Playbook delivers. They need to sell that aspect.. Come on RIM.
    02-14-12 09:14 AM
    I have a feeling this is gonna be at the $249 or $299 price point to compete with the fire.
    slbailey1 likes this.
    02-14-12 09:20 AM
    There were 2 reasons I bought 2 Playbooks over ipads, first was the size. I generally don't like the size of the larger tablets. Second was the price. Really couldn't beat a 64gig playbook for 299. But as the prices get closer to eachother and the sizes too, I could see me giving the Ipad a second look.
    02-14-12 09:21 AM
    ..and this is coming from a guy who loves his iPhone. Just saw this on Twitter. I really like my iphone, but there is no way I would spend what Apple is going to want on an 8" ipad. Its not that big of a leap from my iphone.

Playbook for the win, especially with OS2 and the price point. I think RIM is really going to shine (call me crazy), but I hope they market the PB with the OS2 launch and really hit it home about its feature set, its value, and its build quality. I dont think there is anything out there that compares, especially at this price point.

Report: Apple Testing Smaller, 8-Inch iPad With 4G LTE | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
    The Playbook price point is $499/599/699, as merchants drop the January discounts. How is that a better price point than a 4G LTE iPad that will be price subsidized by Verizon and AT&T in the US?
    02-14-12 09:34 AM
    Hmm and here I thought that 10 inch tablets are THE only acceptable screen size and that anything smaller is doomed to fail. Is Apple actually backtracking on a statement?!
    02-14-12 09:39 AM
    It just frustrates me that RIM has a really good product, its well built, it doesnt crash and lock up, ... Yes, it was missing some things on OS1, but OS2 looks really solid. They need to get this on TV and have a smart campaign. Apple worked cause of those Apple vs PC ads. It was smart. RIM is business first, I understand that... But the general user doesnt give a sh*it about that. You need to have fun and work all in one device, and the Playbook delivers. They need to sell that aspect.. Come on RIM.
    A few comments:
    1) Apple got a tiny niche market share out of years of Apple vs PC ads. They almost went bankrupt with that market share and probably would have without cash (and other things) from Microsoft.
    2) The iPad does not crash and lock up - that is an Android issue.
    3) OS 2 looks solid but is still not out.
    4) The whole business first issue got tossed out the window when RIM released a mass market product without email. The only genuine business tablets run Windows 7.
    02-14-12 09:42 AM
    Hmm and here I thought that 10 inch tablets are THE only acceptable screen size and that anything smaller is doomed to fail. Is Apple actually backtracking on a statement?!
    Companies do this all the time. They need to if they want to adjust to unforeseen trends.
    Last edited by trelawrence; 02-14-12 at 09:49 AM. Reason: spelling
    02-14-12 09:47 AM
    A smart business does not care about backtracking on statements made in the past, unless the backtracking is about promising things like an OS and then not delivering for a year. Apple's only genuine competition at the moment comes from the Kindle Fire and (possibly) the Nook. Why would they not reevaluate the viability of a smaller iPad, especially since it has been a recurring suggestion of iPad users.
    teknishun likes this.
    02-14-12 09:48 AM
    A few comments:
    1) Apple got a tiny niche market share out of years of Apple vs PC ads. They almost went bankrupt with that market share and probably would have without cash (and other things) from Microsoft.
    2) The iPad does not crash and lock up - that is an Android issue.
    3) OS 2 looks solid but is still not out.
    4) The whole business first issue got tossed out the window when RIM released a mass market product without email. The only genuine business tablets run Windows 7.
    I agree with all of your points except #2. iphone's, Ipads DO crash and lockup. I know I have seen them do it. And so does Itunes....and let's not forget that famous screen when the device is in recovery mode....

Apple is not infallible they just have a cult following that believe that there product is made by God Almighty...not the serpent from the garden that lured Eve with the ...Apple...

malcerie, f1mx, CDM76 and 1 others like this.
    02-14-12 09:49 AM
    Yes, but Apple will spend several trillion dollars in propaganda convincing the flock that 8" is THE only acceptable screen size if one opts to buy smaller then 10", and that anything else is unacceptable. Of course, with such an advertising expenditure, they will convince the fan base that spending 2 to 3 times more for that extra inch of goodness over a 7 incher will be well worth it.
    My 7 incher fits in most of my pockets, anything else is just too big!!
    02-14-12 09:49 AM
    The Playbook price point is $499/599/699, as merchants drop the January discounts. How is that a better price point than a 4G LTE iPad that will be price subsidized by Verizon and AT&T in the US?
    This is valid until Feb 20th, I dont think you will ever see the PB back at those prices you listed.
    02-14-12 09:55 AM
    A few comments:
    But... but... that never happened *sticks fingers in ears and screams la-la-la-la*

Be ready for some of our forum trolls to argue that this never happened. Despite the fact that it did.
    BryGuy86 likes this.
    02-14-12 09:58 AM
    I have a feeling this is gonna be at the $249 or $299 price point to compete with the fire.
    If Apple does set that as their price points, then RIM cannot sell the new Playbooks starting at $499. That would be a huge mistake, imo.

As for the 8" iPad itself, they are saturating the market that they overwhelmingly own. This could end up biting them in the booty.
    02-14-12 10:10 AM
    A smart business does not care about backtracking on statements made in the past, unless the backtracking is about promising things like an OS and then not delivering for a year. Apple's only genuine competition at the moment comes from the Kindle Fire and (possibly) the Nook. Why would they not reevaluate the viability of a smaller iPad, especially since it has been a recurring suggestion of iPad users.
    RIM 'promised' the OS by "end of summer 2011". That's about 6 months not a year. Still obviously unacceptable (as acknowledged by RIM) but so many people keep stating this when the PB itself isn't even a year old.
    The horse is dead. Let's stop beating it.
    02-14-12 10:11 AM
    I agree with all of your points except #2. iphone's, Ipads DO crash and lockup. I know I have seen them do it. And so does Itunes....and let's not forget that famous screen when the device is in recovery mode....

Apple is not infallible they just have a cult following that believe that there product is made by God Almighty...not the serpent from the garden that lured Eve with the ...Apple...

Yeah they do crash and lock up, as well as the iTune crashes. Both of ours have locked up and had to be rebooted on several occasions and the email issues are driving my wife up the wall. Last night she was doing some school emails on the iPad because she had left her PB at school. Every other time she started to delete a line, whoose!, it would jump to the home page and the two page email was gone. Happened three times and has done it sporadically on both iPads since we've had them. Go read the iPad forums. Take a bite and you'll see there are some worms in that apple. They all have issues.
    kbz1960 and Deu2e like this.
    02-14-12 10:15 AM
    If Apple does set that as their price points, then RIM cannot sell the new Playbooks starting at $499. That would be a huge mistake, imo.

As for the 8" iPad itself, they are saturating the market that they overwhelmingly own. This could end up biting them in the booty.
    I really think that will be the new price points. Why else would Apple release an 8 inch tablet? They are going after the small Kindle Fire market.

I don't think they will have a problem with Market Saturation. They'll control both the smaller and bigger tablet markets. Both the cheaper and more expensive markets.
    02-14-12 10:16 AM
    The statement was actually that "these" 7-inch tablets (i.e. the ones announced at that time, the Galaxy Tab and PlayBook) were D.O.A.

Jobs fires warning for 'too small' 7 inch iPad rivals | News | TechRadar

He doesn't mention "smaller tablets" generally, but specifically describes 7-inch tablets and presumably anything smaller. And, based on sales results of both, you could argue he was right. Amazon came along and did something meaningful a year later, but they don't release sales figures, and there were more iPads sold last quarter than in all of 2010.

Based on the last 10 months, RIM can't sell PlayBooks at $499, 8-inch iPad or not.

If the market is as young as everyone claims it is, then "saturation" is a non-issue. At the same time, if the market is as mature as your comment suggests, then RIM's opportunity to make meaningful gains is gone, much like Apple's opportunity in PCs (at least in overall marketshare) is gone.
    teknishun likes this.
    02-14-12 10:21 AM
    Honestly I wish the Playbook had an inch more of screen. I'M NOT SAYING MAKE THE BOARDERS OF THE FRAME ANY BIGGER. I just mean with the current frame on the Playbook, there's more room for a screen.
    Didn't read everyones comments by the way, but yeah... that's my thought.
    02-14-12 10:26 AM
    The statement was actually that "these" 7-inch tablets (i.e. the ones announced at that time, the Galaxy Tab and PlayBook) were D.O.A.

Jobs fires warning for 'too small' 7 inch iPad rivals | News | TechRadar

He doesn't mention "smaller tablets" generally, but specifically describes 7-inch tablets and presumably anything smaller. And, based on sales results of both, you could argue he was right. Amazon came along and did something meaningful a year later, but they don't release sales figures, and there were more iPads sold last quarter than in all of 2010.
    [snip]
    Quoted from the article
    His dismissal of the likes of the Samsung Galaxy Tab came with the proviso that Jobs believes that the 10 inch screen of the iPad is the smallest tablet size that can "express the software".
    02-14-12 10:58 AM
    screen tech has obviously improved greatly since that statement. This allows for much better abilities in the smaller pads. The screen DPI on the playbook is a huge reason it works wonderfully. I smaller ipad with great resolution will fit as much if not more on the screen than the 10 inch version and it will still be even more clear and readable actually
    02-14-12 11:09 AM
100 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD