RIM 'promised' the OS by "end of summer 2011". That's about 6 months not a year. Still obviously unacceptable (as acknowledged by RIM) but so many people keep stating this when the PB itself isn't even a year old.
    The horse is dead. Let's stop beating it.
    I may be wrong, and please correct me, but a while back I googled and Binged for an hour and the earliest official RIM announcement on 2.0 release I could find was Sept 15,2011.

In techbuffalo "RIM CEO Jim Balsille confirmed today (Sept 15,2011) on a company earnings call that a new version 2.0 of the QNX operating system is on its way to the BlackBerry Playbook." 5 months ago, not a year as some claim. If there is an earlier date, please show me.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 02-14-12 at 11:17 AM.
    02-14-12 11:13 AM
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Economist101
    The statement was actually that "these" 7-inch tablets (i.e. the ones announced at that time, the Galaxy Tab and PlayBook) were D.O.A.

Jobs fires warning for 'too small' 7 inch iPad rivals | News | TechRadar

He doesn't mention "smaller tablets" generally, but specifically describes 7-inch tablets and presumably anything smaller. And, based on sales results of both, you could argue he was right. Amazon came along and did something meaningful a year later, but they don't release sales figures, and there were more iPads sold last quarter than in all of 2010.
    [snip]
    Quoted from the article
    Quote:
    His dismissal of the likes of the Samsung Galaxy Tab came with the proviso that Jobs believes that the 10 inch screen of the iPad is the smallest tablet size that can "express the software".
    I'll add this - PRICE CHANGES EVERYTHING.
    02-14-12 11:14 AM
    I may be wrong, and please correct me, but a while back I googled and Binged for an hour and the earliest official RIM announcement on 2.0 release I could find was Sept 15,2011.

In techbuffulo "RIM CEO Jim Balsille confirmed today (Sept 15,2011) on a company earnings call that a new version 2.0 of the QNX operating system is on its way to the BlackBerry Playbook." 5 months ago, not a year as some claim. If there is an earlier date, please show me.
    You're correct; anything else stated is just intentional demagoguery.
    02-14-12 11:15 AM
    If Apple does set that as their price points, then RIM cannot sell the new Playbooks starting at $499. That would be a huge mistake, imo.

As for the 8" iPad itself, they are saturating the market that they overwhelmingly own. This could end up biting them in the booty.
    I won't bet on rumors until the products are announced (remember iPhone 5 fiasco?), but if Apple does release smaller screen tablet at LOWER price, that's actually going to be a big problem for everyone else.

You can see a lot of fans of PB here don't even want 10" PBs, so there's definitely a market for smaller tablet, although not as large as 10" tablet market where Apple is not competing in.
    slbailey1 likes this.
    02-14-12 11:18 AM
    I even doubt any rumored 8" iPad would be less than $350. Apple can do that...

I think RIM has ceded the price battle. Don't see them offering a $500 tablet in the near future.

Then again, who knows what RIM thinks. The rest of us are children and morons.
    02-14-12 11:24 AM
    I'll believe it when I see it. Maybe next year, but it won't happen in 2012.

No need for it to. Apple never overwhelms consumers with "too many products to choose from". It would destroy the brand.

I believe, this year will see the 10' inch Ipad 3, the 6th iteration of the iPhone and I strongly believe they will release an Apple branded television this year that will incorporate SiRi and the iPhone into its control functions.

An 8 inch iPad may be next year's offering. Remembering that Apple has launched a new product annually since 2007 and this formula/strategy seems to work very well in the consumer marketplace.
    02-14-12 11:29 AM
    You're correct; anything else stated is just intentional demagoguery.
    Please stop using words that force me to look up their meaning...you are making me smarter
    alnamvet68 and scott.slater like this.
    02-14-12 11:29 AM

In techbuffalo "RIM CEO Jim Balsille confirmed today (Sept 15,2011) on a company earnings call that a new version 2.0 of the QNX operating system is on its way to the BlackBerry Playbook." 5 months ago, not a year as some claim. If there is an earlier date, please show me.
    RIM CEO said shortly after (or was it during the launch announcement) that Native Email would be made available within 60 days of launch. It's quite not OS 2.0, but it is the big part of it.

Found the link -http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2383634,00.asp

Also, Android Player and DLNA support was promised by the end of summer (2011).
    Last edited by conix67; 02-14-12 at 11:32 AM.
    02-14-12 11:30 AM
    RIM CEO said shortly after (or was it during the launch announcement) that Native Email would be made available within 60 days of launch. It's quite not OS 2.0, but it is the big part of it.

Found the link -RIM's BlackBerry PlayBook Will Get Native Email, CEO Says | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Correct.
    However, the point/correction being made is that nothing was promised, by anyone, a year ago as a few here keep saying in this and other threads. The PB wasn't even released a year ago.

Anyway, this is all way OT.
    02-14-12 11:36 AM
    Correct.
    However, the point/correction being made is that nothing was promised, by anyone, a year ago as a few here keep saying in this and other threads. The PB wasn't even released a year ago.

True, technically it's not quite a year. However, the statement was made last April, which is quite a long time ago. I believe CEOs should have been more cautious about making such statements which will only backfire on them.

So, you can say we're getting a feature that was promised almost a year ago.
    02-14-12 11:41 AM
    Correct.

This is just getting technical. PlayBook launches in April. In an interview somewhere near the release date, give or take a month or so, one of the Co-CEO's says it will be out in 60 days.

So, 10 months ago it was promised 2 months from then. So, to be correct, it would be around 7-9 months late IF it launches in February, not a year as many claimed, but certainly a huge mistake.
    02-14-12 11:42 AM
    Now, I don't understand some of you. You didn't miss a chance to say how big and ugly of a "tray" iPad is. And now, what's your problem?

If the price is right, Apple marketing or not, I may get one (if PB 2, not PB3G, is not released). Regardless of what some say, Apple does make great devices with absolutely smooth user experience. Unfortunately, I have been unable to justify spending the asking price so far.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 02-14-12 at 12:29 PM.
    02-14-12 12:01 PM
    Honestly I wish the Playbook had an inch more of screen. I'M NOT SAYING MAKE THE BOARDERS OF THE FRAME ANY BIGGER. I just mean with the current frame on the Playbook, there's more room for a screen.
    Didn't read everyones comments by the way, but yeah... that's my thought.
    Totally agree. Smaller bezel/boarder, 8" screen, same footprint.
    02-14-12 12:06 PM

Found the link -RIM's BlackBerry PlayBook Will Get Native Email, CEO Says | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

You're right, email was a big part, but not 2.0. Some here are always wanting specifics, so let's keep it factual and specific. I was talking about the comments from some that OS2 , not other apps,was promised a year ago, it wasn't, not even close. 5 months is nowhere close to a year. The email comment I found also and wasn't an official statement, it was a comment during an interview with the Wall Street Journal, he says, "and third, we will have if you want, a standalone, non-Web, non-paired email client on it within I believe the next 60 days." And yes, I agree with the comment, CEOs should keep their mouths closed until they talk to the ground forces.
    02-14-12 12:27 PM
    This is just getting technical. PlayBook launches in April. In an interview somewhere near the release date, give or take a month or so, one of the Co-CEO's says it will be out in 60 days.

So, 10 months ago it was promised 2 months from then. So, to be correct, it would be around 7-9 months late IF it launches in February, not a year as many claimed, but certainly a huge mistake.
    Native email, no statement on OS2 until Sept 15,2011, 5 months. And yes, a big mistake. They shouldn't speak until it's ready to launch.
    02-14-12 12:31 PM
    Native email, no statement on OS2 until Sept 15,2011, 5 months. And yes, a big mistake. They shouldn't speak until it's ready to launch.
    While you may not consider the words of the Co-CEO to be an "official statement", the fact is it those words mislead a lot of buyers and caused quite a backlash.

5 months, 7 months, whatever, the fact is the PlayBook isn't getting a native email client until at least 10 months after launching.
    02-14-12 12:43 PM
    Discontent with Jim Basillie, and a relevant reason to why he's no longer an executive, is that he was making promises in public -- in an effort to tell customers/shareholders what he thought they wanted to hear -- without listening to the people working on the thing.

I expect Thorsten Heins to be more about meeting deadlines first. Build trust with outsiders. Give focus to employees, they do as much as possible, and if need be drop features from an update to meet the deadline and release it with the next update. Rearranging goals mid-stream just causes too much chaos and you end up releasing less over a longer period.
    02-14-12 12:58 PM
    Discontent with Jim Basillie, and a relevant reason to why he's no longer an executive, is that he was making promises in public -- in an effort to tell customers/shareholders what he thought they wanted to hear -- without listening to the people working on the thing.

I expect Thorsten Heins to be more about meeting deadlines first. Build trust with outsiders. Give focus to employees, they do as much as possible, and if need be drop features from an update to meet the deadline and release it with the next update. Rearranging goals mid-stream just causes too much chaos and you end up releasing less over a longer period.
    Jim gave date estimates based on what he was told. Many of the staff have since been removed, replaced or simply moved on. There's been a lot of change at RIM and not just at the top.
    02-14-12 01:07 PM
    Best Buy Canada has the PB on for $199, $249 AND $299 for the respective models. How long can BB keep those prices and be viable?

I suppose Amazon is also selling their FIRE at a loss to drive up sales so perhaps every other tablet manufacturer will need to do this to drive the iPad prices down or to cut into the market share. If iPad prices do drop....for example they keep the iPad 2 at a discounted rate or introduce a $300-400 8" iPad , I wonder what that will do to the tablet market.

I think the different form factors of the iPod, nano and shuffle has led to total domination of the MP3 player market....the same will probably occur in tablets as well.
    02-14-12 01:07 PM
    While you may not consider the words of the Co-CEO to be an "official statement", the fact is it those words mislead a lot of buyers and caused quite a backlash.

5 months, 7 months, whatever, the fact is the PlayBook isn't getting a native email client until at least 10 months after launching.
    You're right, native email 10 months after launch, but native email wasn't even intended to be on the PB due to RIM's desire for security and why many security sensitive companies adopted it, including ours. That's one reason PB was the 1st tablet to get FIPS 140-2 and certified for deployment within Federal agencies. But they realized their mistake when the reviews and complaints from non BB phone owners started to pile up. Our company will disable it as many others will too, and many will use it. I don't deny it's long in coming, but a lot of owners, myself included, haven't missed it.
    alnamvet68 and owlsowls like this.
    02-14-12 01:28 PM
    I'm gonna share my thoughts on this. What would they sell the 8" iPad for? $249? That would be competing against the Nook. The Kindle Fire is a great device, but for the same price, you can still get a 16 GB Playbook with 2 camera's, better speakers, and soon OS 2. Granted, Amazon does do the FREE APP of the Day, & Angry Birds, Words with friends etc are all on there for FREE.... but, what would Apple do with the iPod Touch?! drop it to $149? $129? I don't see an 8" iPad coming soon... or ever... just my opinion...
    02-14-12 01:35 PM
    But... but... that never happened *sticks fingers in ears and screams la-la-la-la*

Be ready for some of our forum trolls to argue that this never happened. Despite the fact that it did.
    OK, but who cares that it happened. Apple struggled at one point. And then they created revolutionary products that were complete game changers.

What are the revolutionary products that RIM are creating?
    02-14-12 01:37 PM
    You're right, native email 10 months after launch, but native email wasn't even intended to be on the PB due to RIM's desire for security and why many security sensitive companies adopted it, including ours. That's one reason PB was the 1st tablet to get FIPS 140-2 and certified for deployment within Federal agencies. But they realized their mistake when the reviews and complaints from non BB phone owners started to pile up. Our company will disable it as many others will too, and many will use it. I don't deny it's long in coming, but a lot of owners, myself included, haven't missed it.
    I don't know what to believe, but there's no clear indication native email was never part of original plan. What I heard which was a little more believable, was that RIM did launch PB prematurely.
    02-14-12 01:47 PM
    I'm gonna share my thoughts on this. What would they sell the 8" iPad for? $249? That would be competing against the Nook. The Kindle Fire is a great device, but for the same price, you can still get a 16 GB Playbook with 2 camera's, better speakers, and soon OS 2. Granted, Amazon does do the FREE APP of the Day, & Angry Birds, Words with friends etc are all on there for FREE.... but, what would Apple do with the iPod Touch?! drop it to $149? $129? I don't see an 8" iPad coming soon... or ever... just my opinion...
    Those extras are some of the the reasons the buying public sees that glorified e-reader (as it is sneeringly referred to by some here) as a better investment than the Playbook at the same price.

If Apple is doing this, it isn't concerned about the PB. It is concerned about Amazon. And the iPod Touch remains popular, particularly amongst less tech-savvy folks. I have firsthand knowledge of this in my small demographic.
    02-14-12 01:51 PM
    my playbook is just the right fit anything bigger ill bring my laptop with me.
    10 inch for 900 with no video card fast quad core processor and 16 gb of ram and 1tb of hdd id say no to those thief at apple.
    02-14-12 01:57 PM
100 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD