I am purchasing a new phone for Christmas for Mom, She has a razor now. I want to get her something that can sync her Yahoo email and Calendar and more importantly is fairly simple to use, Is the I-Phone simplistic enough for someone that is a little technology challenged? I have never used a I-Phone and plan on staying with my Blackberry.
    11-28-10 05:28 PM
    Of all the smartphones, I think the iPhone is the easiest, most simple phone to
    use right out of the box.
    11-28-10 06:22 PM
    Honestly, I'm not sure how to answer this, because I don't know your Mom. Many, many people find the iPhone VERY simple to use, but not everyone is the same. Personally, I find BlackBerry MUCH easier to learn and use, but my other half thinks the iPhone is as easy as it gets. I guess it just depends on how your mind works...lol! That said, I think most phones now are pretty easy to learn. If she uses a computer at all, I think things will be easier. Another thing to consider is that some people (especially our elders) just can't or don't want to do the touch screen thing. I think that's probably going to be your first concern.

Do you know anyone with an iPhone who can show her how to use it? I would suggest you take her to try one on the store, but I guess that would give it away. I think no matter what you choose though, it would be good to have someone close to her who can help her get things set up and running at least.
    11-28-10 06:26 PM
    My dad and mom are just about the same age as your mom, and they both love their iphones. I think one big selling point is the large numbers on the phone screen, very easy to touch the right numbers.
    11-28-10 06:54 PM
    Of all the smartphones, I think the iPhone is the easiest, most simple phone to
    use right out of the box.
    ^++Without a doubt the best phone for your mom.
    11-28-10 06:55 PM
    Yup, the iphone is very intuitive to use.
    11-29-10 08:50 AM
    Definitely, the Easiest smartphone to use.

The phone has a nice big clear dial pad, and you can set font sizes for SMS.

So she can easily see stuff.

And the screen is pretty durable so you can chuck it in your purse without worry.
    11-29-10 09:56 AM
    Obviously you know your mother better than anyone on here. I think thats a great gift idea and have to agree with previous posts, that as far as "smart phones" go, the iphone is very user friendly right out of the box. Now if it were me getting a phone for my mother...I'd have to select the "Jitterbug"
    11-29-10 10:14 AM
    Keyword is easy, and the iPhone is by far the easiest. No menu after sub menu like Android and iOS has the cleanest interface out of all of them.
    I always tell people if you're into hacking, building computers, and or want constant change go with Android. If you just want a device that just works with minimal effort go with iPhone.
    One big key factor many miss is Apple's customer service is second to none, I've seen people take in their iPhones for the dumbest reason walking out with a new device. Try getting that service from Motorola or HTC.
    lssanjose likes this.
    11-29-10 10:57 AM
    Great, thanks. this forum rocks, I am a die hard Blackberry user and ask a I[phone question and i get educated responses instead of attacks.
    11-29-10 04:18 PM
    My mom didn't like the iPhone cuz she could never type on the keyboard, but she likes her 8330 running 4.5 - IMO, those are one of the best phones to get someone who wants something that gets email and is easy to use.
    That being said, if you want a newish phone than the iPhone is a good choice for ease of use.
    11-29-10 06:43 PM
    it is easy to use once it is set up for her needs.

If you set it up for her - she will love it.
    11-30-10 10:40 PM
    with the bb keyboards you have to actually press a button. Some people don't like that so much...
    11-30-10 10:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD