5.1 is live and working but i dont see any difference
    03-07-12 04:29 PM
    one thing that's cool here in Canada is that on Rogers and Fido-- we get name display. as in-- when a person NOT in your contact list calls you, you get their number and name displayed ( like your landline at home). this feature worked on the 4.3 etc OSs and stopped working on 5.0-5.0.1. It's working once more.
    ps... the 3G on and off switch us good too.
    03-07-12 06:10 PM
    Well if your on AT&T you phone is now 4G. I don't think there were major changes from what I read in the update description. Most of it was probably bug fixes like battery life, and updates needed for the new iPad apps.
    03-07-12 06:27 PM
    Do you still have to update apple products from computer... Is there no PlayBook style on device update ??

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 Device
    03-07-12 06:35 PM
    Do you still have to update apple products from computer... Is there no PlayBook style on device update ??

as long as your not jailbroken you can do an OTA update on the device without a computer. Its been that way since 5.0 came out. Personally i still use iTunes so i can make sure i have a good backup before updating just in case something goes wrong.
    03-07-12 06:56 PM
    I did my update OTA when I got home to my Wi-Fi connection. It took probably 15 minutes from start to finish. I love that I just had to hit one button and my iPhone took care of the rest. Definitely don't miss having to fool with leaked BB OSs.

My battery life has shown a big improvement.

I love that you can now delete photos from the photostream and that the camera icon automatically appears on the lock screen.
    foxpat220022 likes this.
    03-07-12 07:20 PM
    I did my update OTA when I got home to my Wi-Fi connection. It took probably 15 minutes from start to finish. I love that I just had to hit one button and my iPhone took care of the rest. Definitely don't miss having to fool with leaked BB OSs.

I love that you can now delete photos from the photostream and that the camera icon automatically appears on the lock screen.
    Yes. Did both my iPhone and iPad in 20 minutes. Still not sure I understand what constituted the changed to 4G.
    03-07-12 07:49 PM
    I don't think anything changed about 4G. It just now displays it instead of 3G, but from what I understand, "true" 4G is hard to find, if at all.
    03-07-12 07:58 PM
    I don't think anything changed about 4G. It just now displays it instead of 3G, but from what I understand, "true" 4G is hard to find, if at all.
    Right, I *think* (as in, I could be wrong), 4G displays if your phone and the cell site are doing HPSA+. Which is not LTE.

I'm almost tired of caring about the data comm speeds... I hope that part of all this is over in five years or so.

Nice to read about the ANI improvements in Canada, I hope that works in the US.

Soooooo nice that 5.1 is immediately available for every supported product, no matter when or where you bought it, without waiting for the phone mfg or carrier to muck it up for a few months before release.
    moiselles likes this.
    03-07-12 08:08 PM
    I don't think anything changed about 4G. It just now displays it instead of 3G, but from what I understand
    Yes thats correct, it's purely a cosmetic change.

I'm hoping 5.1 is jailbroken soon, got a few devices I wanna update but dont want to loose the JB.
    03-07-12 08:12 PM
    It took 5.0, what, three or four months to be jailbroken?

I don't jailbreak, but for your sake, Shao, I hope it does get jailbroken soon.
    03-07-12 08:19 PM
    Ok, got it.
    03-07-12 09:02 PM
    I'm hoping this update resolves all of the issues with crashing apps and the crashing browser and the lousy battery life.

I have a fast connection at home and did a speedtest. 34 down and 11 up. Although the down is half the speed of my wired computers.
    03-07-12 09:43 PM
    Gonna wait until there is a jailbreak for 5.1

03-07-12 09:43 PM
    I'm hoping this update resolves all of the issues with crashing apps and the crashing browser and the lousy battery life.

I have a fast connection at home and did a speedtest. 34 down and 11 up. Although the down is half the speed of my wired computers.
    Hmm. I've never had much problem with the browser, it's so much faster than my 9800. Aren't crashing apps a result of something in the app?

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk
    03-08-12 05:46 AM
    So, that's it? Really? Short of the camera shortcut on the lock screen, I'm not seeing user enhancements (not surprising given the log list at download), so one hopes the under-the-hood fixes are 'insanely great'.

Still, no ability to add attachments from Mail, can't get rid of Newsstand and Reminders remains useless to me.

Meanwhile, while I'm running a 4 (and an iPad 2), I note my Canadian colleagues running a 4s still don't have a location-capable Siri - I'm using 3rd Party Speaktoit on my 4 and not had an issue, but really Apple, when does an included app get out of Beta?
    03-08-12 06:33 AM
    So, that's it? Really? Short of the camera shortcut on the lock screen, I'm not seeing user enhancements (not surprising given the log list at download), so one hopes the under-the-hood fixes are 'insanely great'.

Still, no ability to add attachments from Mail, can't get rid of Newsstand and Reminders remains useless to me.

Meanwhile, while I'm running a 4 (and an iPad 2), I note my Canadian colleagues running a 4s still don't have a location-capable Siri - I'm using 3rd Party Speaktoit on my 4 and not had an issue, but really Apple, when does an included app get out of Beta?
    I wasn't having any issues with my for S prior to the update so I wasn't exactly sitting by the computer waiting for it. Not sure what you may have expected but I don't think Apple gave any indication of any huge updates coming with 5.1. I was under the impression that 5.1 was basically released to add the necessary upgrades for the improved apps that were coming as a result of the iPad update and to fix the battery issues some people had. All in all, my phone is still great
    03-08-12 07:22 AM
    Hmm. I've never had much problem with the browser, it's so much faster than my 9800. Aren't crashing apps a result of something in the app?

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk
    The browser crashing problem I have on Safari on my iPad. Never had a problem with Safari crashing on my iPhone 4S. As far as the apps go, you're right that has to do with the app developer not Apple.
    03-08-12 07:24 AM
    I do.

No jailbreak.
    03-08-12 07:49 AM
    I held off on the jailbreak, but it looks like I'll be doing it as soon as it's available to get a decent notification system/sound profiles that will hold me over until I go back to Blackberry later this year.
    03-08-12 08:25 AM
    is this 5.1 also work for an iphone from sprint? because i would like 4g on my iphone.
    03-08-12 10:03 AM
    One difference is that when using dictation on my 4s the screen no longer turns off when I raise the phone to my ear. Anyone else?

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    03-08-12 10:19 AM
    is this 5.1 also work for an iphone from sprint? because i would like 4g on my iphone.
    The greet thing about Apple is when they update the OS, it's for all devices on all carriers. So to answer you question, yes. It is for Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon. The 4g is only a cosmetic change and it will only appear if you have a 4s. I don't believ the 4 is capable of 4g speeds as defined by AT&T.
    03-08-12 10:39 AM
    The greet thing about Apple is when they update the OS, it's for all devices on all carriers. So to answer you question, yes. It is for Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon. The 4g is only a cosmetic change and it will only appear if you have a 4s. I don't believ the 4 is capable of 4g speeds as defined by AT&T.
    My CDMA iPhone4S through Verizon does not show 4G. It still shows Verizon 3G. I doubht CDMA iPhones will show 4G as it's an HPSA+/GSM thing.

One thing I have noticed is when I bring up Safari, the bookmarks don't pop up automatically. Love that.
    03-08-12 11:32 AM

Same here Battery life is great! I'm at 98% going on 4.5 hrs unreal!
    03-08-12 12:29 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD