06-02-09 12:15 AM
    That'll be interesting to see if it's true or not. If it is, it might actually push other companies to get their cell phones in the US with their front-facing camera instead of it being removed per agreements with US Cellular carriers.

Of course, it might also explain AT&T's rush to expand their network quickly: I remember when AT&T Video Share came out: the reason it only worked one way for sharing video was the network was too slow for both connections to work.

Sadly, though, if it is true, you'll have to be in a 3G area at the minimum: there's no way EDGE will support video calls.
    06-02-09 07:44 AM
    Unless its on a cost per minute add on fee to an existing plan, I can't see this being implemented anytime soon. People would use so much bandwidth video chatting all day.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-09 10:19 AM
    Makes sense, At&t is working feverishly on their HSPA+ 7.2 network. AT&T plans 20 Mbs HSPA+ network upgrade in 2009

Ralph de la Vega, the mobility chief of AT&T, spoke at the Morgan Stanley’s annual Communications Conference today, announcing the company’s plans to make their 3G network support download speeds five times faster than the current ones by year 2009. We’re talking about 20 mbps wireless broadband here!

According to the executive, the company already has a test version of HSPA 3G network running in their labs which is able to deliver download speeds of up to 7.2 mbps. The current network of AT&T can theoretically provide half of that, and it seems that it will soon get an upgrade.

The promised “exceeding 20 megabits per second” speed is another matter though; the current HSPA standard only supports download speeds up to 14.4 mbps (and even that’s in theory), so the company will switch to HSPA+ (also known as HSPA Evolution), a 3G mobile data protocol defined in 3GPP release 7 and capable of providing data rates up to 42 mbps on the downlink and 22 mbps on the uplink. Now tell me that’s not impressive!

Despite the large increase in speed, de la Vega explained that the upgrade won’t require major hardware modifications of their cell towers, and will instead be achieved mostly by means of upgrading the software on already existing electronics.

He also outlined the company’s roadmap up to year 2010, when AT&T plans to offer 700MHz 4G access based on LTE (Long Term Evolution) standard to their customers, again increasing download speeds fivefold and reaching the 100 mbps mark.
    06-02-09 10:24 AM
    Unless its on a cost per minute add on fee to an existing plan, I can't see this being implemented anytime soon. People would use so much bandwidth video chatting all day.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I know that's plausible, but I rather not see that happen....I mean with an iPhone you already have a $80+ plan per month as it is.....
    06-02-09 11:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD