downloading 4.2 right now
    jayman2 likes this.
    11-22-10 04:49 PM
    downloading 4.2 right now
    I'm getting ready to download myself, but first, is there an untethered jailbreak released yet?
    11-22-10 05:16 PM
    I'm getting ready to download myself, but first, is there an untethered jailbreak released yet?
    I don't think so. Check this out.

Jailbreaking iOS 4.2.1 – what you need to know | TiPb
    jayman2 likes this.
    11-22-10 05:26 PM
    Thanks Undertaker. I'll wait for the untethered jailbreak before upgrading. I'm still running 4.0 jailbroken. I never even upgraded to 4.1, I just figured I'd wait for the 4.2 release.
    11-22-10 05:40 PM
    Thanks Undertaker. I'll wait for the untethered jailbreak before upgrading. I'm still running 4.0 jailbroken. I never even upgraded to 4.1, I just figured I'd wait for the 4.2 release.
    This might interest you too.

Untethered 4.2.1 Jailbreak Requires Saved 4.1 SHSH Blobs! | TiPb
    11-22-10 05:59 PM
    ok so i donloaded it and i see nothing different besdies u can print anyone else see anything different and i dont jailbreak it also
    11-22-10 06:16 PM
    In Cydia, underneath the Home * Cydia banner it says:
    SHSH: iOS 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1, 4.2b3

Does this mean that my SHSH blobs are saved?
    11-22-10 06:41 PM
    In Cydia, underneath the Home * Cydia banner it says:
    SHSH: iOS 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1, 4.2b3

Does this mean that my SHSH blobs are saved?
    I'm really not sure. I'm not that caught up in jailbreaking and SHSH blobs. I
    posted that thinking that it's possible that you need to actually upgrade to
    4.1 now in order to save the SHSH blob for 4.1 while you can still get the Apple
    signature. Hopefully someone can confirm this for you because I'm not really sure.
    11-22-10 06:54 PM
    I believe they should be saved if it says those below the banner.

I know I have no intentions of upgrading to 4.2 anytime soon. It offers very little in terms of function for iphone users- airplay only works if you have an Apple TV, airprint is all restricted now to hp e-print printers (there are apps that work much better with any WIFI printer), and thats about all it adds for us.

Im a little unimpressed by Apple lately on the OS offerings and a little more intrigued by Android continuing to push forward adding more and more good stuff. Apple seems more worried about little gimmicky features that work for the 10 people who have an Apple TV, rather than fixing what needs to be fixed like notifications etc.
    11-22-10 07:05 PM
    I believe they should be saved if it says those below the banner.

I know I have no intentions of upgrading to 4.2 anytime soon. It offers very little in terms of function for iphone users- airplay only works if you have an Apple TV, airprint is all restricted now to hp e-print printers (there are apps that work much better with any WIFI printer), and thats about all it adds for us.

Im a little unimpressed by Apple lately on the OS offerings and a little more intrigued by Android continuing to push forward adding more and more good stuff. Apple seems more worried about little gimmicky features that work for the 10 people who have an Apple TV, rather than fixing what needs to be fixed like notifications etc.
    If the entire notification system isn't addressed by 5.0 then I'm going to start
    looking elsewhere too. We all complained enough about multi-tasking and they
    finally addressed that. Same goes for copy/paste.

Notifications is probably the next thing. I remember
    earlier this year Apple employed someone from Palm, right?
    11-22-10 07:17 PM
    Supposedly they did yes.

I agree, it just gets frustrating watching others pushing the envelope (especially Android) in every OS release and Apple sitting back all the sudden. In just a little over a year Android will have released 3 big OS updates- 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3 should be announced very soon here. And every update isnt a gimmicky feature or 2, they're core OS features being constantly added- 2.1 brought Google Navigation, live wallpapers, speech to text, better Gmail; 2.2 Flash, way improved OS speed/rendering, more Exchange features, new gallery, portable hotspot.

Every year we've waited for notifications and notta. This "one more thing" after a year has gone by is starting to get old. It's no time to wait until July to push the OS a little more. Android passed them by in marketshare, RIM's QNX doesnt look half bad, and Windows 7 was released. There is competition out there/coming basically.

I would have taken notifications being fixed over the half multitasking that they did.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 11-22-10 at 07:26 PM.
    11-22-10 07:21 PM
    I would have taken notifications being fixed over the half multitasking that they did.
    Yeah, different strokes for different folks. I for sure would be Android only right
    now had they not implemented the multi-tasking that they did. Even though I
    was multi-tasking (fully) on a jailbreak, I didn't like to rely on being jail broken.
    But I feel ya on the notifications. The simple fact that I can't even get a
    simple icon for an email or IM on the lock screen is pretty stupid.
    11-22-10 07:27 PM
    Oh I agree multitasking was just as important, but why do they have to hold one feature back for next year to get hype. You know they must have something brewing for notifications, theyve been crappy for 3 years now. Why not be like Google and just give the people what they want when it's ready?

I hate that feeling that oh just one more year itll be great, then one more year they'll finally get in this or that feature. I just think it's getting old getting excited over all these little .1 updates that offer very little for the practical average user in reality.

Ive almost pulled the trigger and got a Captivate (to put on Froyo) off ebay 3 times this weekend as is after hearing how little this new OS offered and how much functionality was stripped out of it in the final release.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 11-22-10 at 07:38 PM.
    11-22-10 07:33 PM
    Oh I agree multitasking was just as important, but why do they have to hold one feature back for next year to get hype. You know they must have something brewing for notifications, theyve been crappy for 3 years now. Why not be like Google and just give the people what they want when it's ready?

I hate that feeling that oh just one more year itll be great, then one more year they'll finally get in this or that feature. I just think it's getting old getting excited over all these little .1 updates that offer very little for the practical average user in reality.

Ive almost pulled the trigger and got a Captivate (to put on Froyo) off ebay 3 times this weekend as is after hearing how little this new OS offered and how much functionality was stripped out of it in the final release.
    I've actually been really considering switching over to VZW and getting a
    Droid X. Let alone that I'm really starting to get fed up with bad coverage
    (it's gotten progressively worse), that phone really, really intrigues me.

The .1 updates are getting pretty stupid too. I remember when the update
    came out that gave you the three notifications for an unread SMS. People
    were making a huge deal out of something so silly.
    11-22-10 07:54 PM
    I've actually been really considering switching over to VZW and getting a
    Droid X. Let alone that I'm really starting to get fed up with bad coverage
    (it's gotten progressively worse), that phone really, really intrigues me.

The .1 updates are getting pretty stupid too. I remember when the update
    came out that gave you the three notifications for an unread SMS. People
    were making a huge deal out of something so silly.
    Same here (unrelated to the topic I know) service has gone downhill a lot in the last few months- tons of dropped calls, generally low signal strength, etc. I've actually considered going back to Sprint considering I could have unlimited everything for what I pay ATT for dropped calls a month; although I dont see WIMAx having a future unfortunately so they're hard to sign 2 years with. VZW would probably end up the choice too.

.1 updates like this make no sense- SMs ringtones (woohoo ) Airplay (if you own an Apple Tv then cool if not then useless), Airprint (again if you own one of the 10 HP printers supported great, if not then useless). Seems like a lot of gimmick features over any substance.
    11-22-10 08:16 PM
    i dont even see anything different in the sms tones how many tones where there before and i know there is 6 now

and they need to make the printer under wifi for all kinds this is so dumb
    11-23-10 08:35 AM
    With the 4.2 update you also get a free subcription to mobile me allowing you to track your lost phone, send a message to it, lock it, wipe it etc! with a previous generation iphone model you need to pay for a subcription or if you have an iphone 4 running 4.1 u dont get the free subcription! so im my opinion 4.2 update is well worth if with that feature alone
    11-24-10 06:38 PM
    I have to agree with Stuaw11 and The Undertaker..... The last 2 or 3 updates are pretty much crap IMO. I think apple is focusing more on integrating all there systems together instead of adding/fixing much needed things on the iPhone. Honestly I like the ip4. But it really needs better notifications. That's one thing I miss about my berry.
    I hope the rumored 4.3 brings something good and a little less focused on integration.
    11-24-10 07:58 PM
    With the 4.2 update you also get a free subcription to mobile me allowing you to track your lost phone, send a message to it, lock it, wipe it etc! with a previous generation iphone model you need to pay for a subcription or if you have an iphone 4 running 4.1 u dont get the free subcription! so im my opinion 4.2 update is well worth if with that feature alone
    Actually it's not a free subscription to MobileMe per say, just the FindMyiPhone feature. MobileMe is much more than that. These new updates don't seem to include much at all, hard to say but is Apple running out of ideas.... They have been the leader in smartphone innovation for the past few years (with the others following their every move), that it's maybe time for the copycats to lead in innovation.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 11-25-10 at 09:33 AM.
    11-25-10 09:29 AM
    I dont know what it is but they havent done anything major that I was like "wow" too lately.

4.0 only brought things the phone shouldve had from the start (or at least 3.0) like multitasking and folders. HDR, eh, I dont take enough pictures that it even matters.

I really wanted unified inbox, but now that I have it I dont even like it because you still have to back in and out with taps to get to folders for each account. It's just not done as well as it could have been.

Android is HIGHLY tempting me lately. For some reason Google keeps pumping out more and more in every .1 update with no signs of slowing down.

While Apple gave us 4.2 with half-working Airplay (half the apps dont stream, and only to apple TV so pretty useless) and Airprint (to 10 HP printers). Rumor has is 4.3 coming next month is only for subscriptions to magazines and such and gives Airprint function to all printers- no biggy here since apps have been doing that for a while now.

Just generally disappointing updates IMO of little gimmicky features few will use instead of fixing big things like notification handling that NEEDS to be redone badly.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 11-25-10 at 10:48 AM.
    11-25-10 10:40 AM
    this last update is so bad my phone is slow and laggy i wish i never had done the update
    11-25-10 10:45 AM
    I won't be switching anytime soon. I was so unimpressed with the Incredible I tried that it seems Android isn't the answer (for me anyways).
    11-25-10 11:16 AM
    I figured Id get a used Captivate off ebay and worse comes to worse Ill resell it if I dont like it and keep my iphone 4. I really just want to try Android out.

Im just so unimpressed with Apple lately in there OS. It seems almost RIM-ish that it hasnt changed much in years.

Im sure Android is far from perfect too, but at least to me, shows the most potential and they keep improving it. Plus the hacker/XDA community does a ton of work on Android making it even better.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 11-25-10 at 11:26 AM.
    11-25-10 11:20 AM
    well and for me i was just happy wit 4.1 it was fast and never had a problem i am pist
    11-25-10 11:23 AM
    Oh no doubt, there's nothing WRONG with iOS, it works well and smooth. But it leaves a lot to be desired with no signs of Apple wanting to make major improvements.

Like notifications which need a major major overhaul- lets say you get a SMS and an IM, which ever comes in second erases the first notification. Frustrating!! And very intrusive pop-up notifications to whatever youre working on. Android and WebOS definitely got that part down in a much much better way right out of the gate, and I know Apple isnt ignorant to the other OSs out over a year now the fact their method of displaying notifications just plain is terrible. But they don't seem to care to want to fix it, it couldve easily been redone in iOS4.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 11-25-10 at 11:32 AM.
    11-25-10 11:27 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD