So I got my 3GS.... I was just wondering if you all had this issue. At home, just sitting there and checking out the signal strength, it fluctuates alot. It would sit here at 5 bars and then ten minutes later go down to 1 bar and then slowly and gradually climb back up to 5 bars. Does yours do this too? Is this normal? I see this all the time, and I'm never had a phone do this before. Usually it's 5 bars to 4 bars and back but not all the way to 1 bar and back. This sounds strange.
    07-10-09 05:25 PM
    Most networks do this. It's probably your cell network rerouting your signal to a different cell site so as to avoid bottlnecks in specific cell sites. If you live in a very dense urban area, then this is more likely to happen since a lot more users are trying to access a limited number of cell sites.
    07-10-09 05:27 PM
    That has happened to all my phones, including my Bold. I do live in a very good 3G area so I usually have 4-5 bars constantly, but there are occasions when the bars like to go up and down.
    07-10-09 06:59 PM
    Welcome to AT&T dude. The high frequency range that their network operates in does not penetrate buildings/objects very well.

My 3G will do the same thing setting here on my desk at work.

Have you done the field service test to see what your actual signal strength is?
    07-10-09 07:13 PM
    That has happened to all my phones, including my Bold. I do live in a very good 3G area so I usually have 4-5 bars constantly, but there are occasions when the bars like to go up and down.
    My Storm and all my other cell phones usually increase/decrease from 4-5 bars but I never see it dipp into the 1 bar and gradually increase to 5 bars. I just thought that was strange. My kid is on ATT too but he keeps a constant good 4-5 bars and never dipps into the 1 bar at all. At 1 bar, I saw that the internet was kinda slow but once it went back to 5 bars, it started flying on the internet.
    07-10-09 08:16 PM
    So sometimes the 3G dissapeares and I see an E. What does that mean?
    07-10-09 08:18 PM
    Welcome to AT&T dude. The high frequency range that their network operates in does not penetrate buildings/objects very well.

My 3G will do the same thing setting here on my desk at work.

Have you done the field service test to see what your actual signal strength is?
    The reason why I went to the 3GS is because in my building at work, all the ATT cell phone carriers get 5 solid bars. I think there is an ATT repeater in the building. But my Verizon Storm barely gets 1-2 bars and dropps calls, so I decided to go with the phone with better signal. As many people complain about their Storms, I've never had an issue or problems, it's been flawless but time to move on. I love the 3GS!
    07-10-09 08:22 PM
    So sometimes the 3G dissapeares and I see an E. What does that mean?
    E means EDGE
    07-10-09 08:27 PM
    Both my iPhones and the Storm do this at home. One minute I have full scale and later barely anything. It's an unfortunate but common occurance where I live. Once I get to work, all of the phones remain full scale.

Like the realtor says, location, location, location.
    07-10-09 09:27 PM
    Both my iPhones and the Storm do this at home. One minute I have full scale and later barely anything. It's an unfortunate but common occurance where I live. Once I get to work, all of the phones remain full scale.

Like the realtor says, location, location, location.
    Same here, my Storm and iPhone both fluctuate all day, but I live out in the county so it's not really a surprise, I use WIFI almost exclusively at home anyway. Strangely, my Curve seems to have a super radio and constantly keeps 3 to 4 bars.......
    07-10-09 09:36 PM
    Yeah that's strange it seems like others are having the issue. I put this in another post and there are alot of people who know this but if you are having major issues you can turn 3G off. I was driving and for the first time I didn't get full bars. E or edge gives you more connectivty because the Service has been out longer then 3g.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-09 10:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD