I have a BB9000 and am wanting to go to an iphone. Getting tired of the same ole same ole. My wife and daughter have 3GS phones and my son has a 3G. Where we live is still on EDGE service.

One thought is to get the 3Gs and then in a couple of years if we have finally been upgraded to 3G or better I cna get the latest version. The other thought is to get the 4Gand still be able to upgrade it in 20 months.

Since my home area is still EDGE would I really benefit from the 4G phone?
    11-06-10 05:01 PM
    I live in an area where all I get is EDGE, no 3G. However, I have a router at my house with high speed dsl, so Im always on wifi. I dont use it too much at work, but while EDGE is a tad slower than 3G, to me, it's not that noticable. Ive had both devices, and find that the i4 is FAR superior to the 3Gs. If youre asking, my opinion is go for the i4, it's outstanding.
    11-06-10 05:15 PM
    Neither! You should consider the Torch 9800. It is certainly not the "same ol same ol" as your Bold 9000. A 10 times better browsing experience where you can open multiple pages simultaneously, pinch zoom in/out, and faster & smoother browsing. Large screen. More memory. Totally new operating system OS6- better navigation. If I really had to recommend one though, i'd say 3GS. iphone 4 is a piece
    11-06-10 05:20 PM
    I live in an area where all I get is EDGE, no 3G. However, I have a router at my house with high speed dsl, so Im always on wifi. I dont use it too much at work, but while EDGE is a tad slower than 3G, to me, it's not that noticable. Ive had both devices, and find that the i4 is FAR superior to the 3Gs. If youre asking, my opinion is go for the i4, it's outstanding.
    Hmmm... didn't think about wifi.
    11-06-10 05:38 PM
    iPhone 4 is worth it for the retina display alone among other features. BB 9800 is very much same ole same ole, if you like 9800 just get a palm Pre.
    11-06-10 05:43 PM
    If you can afford it, I recommend the iPhone 4. Why? Because its the newest. I have 3GS and its great for what I need it to do. 4G (as well as many iPhone 4 features) is not really important to me, especially since I am always in a Wi-Fi area.

The way I look at it is if they were cars. The i4 is like a Bugatti Veyron. Do you really need 1001 HP? The 3GS would be like a Ferrari. If I sound crazy it's because I have not had my coffee yet. XD

Either way, you can't go wrong. But you might feel like a dinosaur with the 3GS in less than 20 months.
    Last edited by CASH; 11-06-10 at 05:57 PM.
    11-06-10 05:54 PM
    Def the i4. If you have a wireless N router you can connect with N. Extremely fast.
    11-06-10 06:23 PM
    iPhone 4

10char/
    11-06-10 07:09 PM
    Neither! You should consider the Torch 9800. It is certainly not the "same ol same ol" as your Bold 9000. A 10 times better browsing experience where you can open multiple pages simultaneously, pinch zoom in/out, and faster & smoother browsing. Large screen. More memory. Totally new operating system OS6- better navigation. If I really had to recommend one though, I'd say 3GS. iphone 4 is a piece
    Why do berry fanboys lurk the iPhone forums? How many i4s have you had my man? If the answer is zero, which I strongly suspect it is, then you cant really give a knowledgeable opinion about an i4. Stick to your torch.
    Last edited by pilsbury; 11-07-10 at 07:38 AM.
    11-06-10 07:26 PM
    Hmmm... didn't think about wifi.
    Like DX9 said, Linksys wireless N router-it's SUPER fast with DSL.
    Last edited by pilsbury; 11-07-10 at 10:54 AM.
    11-06-10 07:28 PM
    If you can afford it, I recommend the iPhone 4. Why? Because its the newest. I have 3GS and its great for what I need it to do. 4G (as well as many iPhone 4 features) is not really important to me, especially since I am always in a Wi-Fi area.

The way I look at it is if they were cars. The i4 is like a Bugatti Veyron. Do you really need 1001 HP? The 3GS would be like a Ferrari. If I sound crazy it's because I have not had my coffee yet. XD

Either way, you can't go wrong. But you might feel like a dinosaur with the 3GS in less than 20 months.
    What is 4G? The iPhone 4 doesn't have 4G, the 4 does not mean 4G capable. You are showing just how much ignorance you have about something you don't. I've had both the 3G[s] and 4 and the 4 is significantly better, but I'm only speaking from actual experience.
    11-06-10 08:56 PM
    What is 4G? The iPhone 4 doesn't have 4G, the 4 does not mean 4G capable. You are showing just how much ignorance you have about something you don't. I've had both the 3G[s] and 4 and the 4 is significantly better, but I'm only speaking from actual experience.
    That was actually a mistake. I was re-reading an article I read about 4G the same time I was reading/replying to this thread and accidentally typed out how I felt about 3G and 4G data. I'm sorry if I implied that I owned an iPhone 4, but I didn't think I did.

As far as everything else that you said, I am going to keep this thread (at least my posts) positive and to the point of its topic; I will not be turning this into something negative.

EDIT: BTW, did you not see the part about me not having my coffee yet? Just saying.
    11-07-10 02:33 AM
    More hmmm... I do have an N router.

Seems like the extra $100 will be well spent.

Thanks for the info. It brought up some things I didn't think about.
    11-07-10 10:33 AM
    Enjoy your iPhone4. I know people who have like theirs a great deal.
    11-07-10 08:02 PM
    As someone else pointed out, in 20 months, the 3GS will be 3 generations behind. However, you can pick up a refurbished or used one and save a few bucks.

What are your 5 MOST important considerations in a device?
    11-08-10 10:49 AM
    What are your 5 MOST important considerations in a device?
    1) Have fun and enjoy it.
    2) Have fun and enjoy it.
    3) Have fun and enjoy it.
    4) Have fun and enjoy it.
    5) Have fun and enjoy it.
    11-09-10 11:41 AM
    Is that in ascending or descending order?

Go for the iP4. Why not have the latest and greatest?
    11-09-10 12:16 PM
    You will certainly have a lot of fun with the i4. I know I do.
    11-09-10 12:58 PM
    iPhone 4 is worth it for the retina display alone among other features. BB 9800 is very much same ole same ole, if you like 9800 just get a palm Pre.
    9800 is in a way worse than the same ole same ole because at least old BB models were solidly built. I went through 4 different Torches. 1 had the wobble, 1 had the buttons coming up, 2 had both.

i4 is just an all around solid device. Putting the two side by side and navigating in them both leaves the 9800 feeling like a relic.
    11-09-10 01:29 PM
    The torch, to me, didn't seem like an evolution to the smartphone, as AT&T likes to claim in their commercials. If on AT&T, I think i4, and Captivate are the top two choices.

ugahairydawgs, was OS6 a big of leap from 5, to you?
    11-09-10 03:47 PM
    The torch, to me, didn't seem like an evolution to the smartphone, as AT&T likes to claim in their commercials. If on AT&T, I think i4, and Captivate are the top two choices.

ugahairydawgs, was OS6 a big of leap from 5, to you?
    Every word = well said.
    11-09-10 05:14 PM
    why not go with an iphone 4 if you have the upgrade?
    11-09-10 07:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD