I'm loving my 3g jailbroken iphone, may consider switching to at&t depending on how the new phone is when its released. How much faster is the current 3g iphone on 3g network compared to using edge?
    monthly pricing is pretty much in the same ball park for my current carrier and att

cincybell: 500min, unlimited text & data (edge) $45/month No contract
    att: 450min, data $55/month....will probably download app for free texting

Wouldnt mind having 3g service or better, only able to get edge and wifi currently. How much faster is 3g compared with edge? Would it be worth getting? Everything loads pretty good on edge? Is it just a speed difference and faster downloading? Any input would be helpful
    02-28-10 12:10 PM
    Much faster. No contest.
    02-28-10 04:04 PM
    Much faster. No contest.
    agreed... no comparison
    02-28-10 04:17 PM
    would it be worth getting into on a 2 year contract? probably an addtional 15 month with tax.....
    02-28-10 06:11 PM
    It depends on how AT&T service is in your area. If it's good, and you have good 3G coverage, go for it. If not, it wouldn't be worth it. If you're happy with what you have now, and you know the 3G coverage isn't great, don't change.
    02-28-10 08:04 PM
    att service isnt too bad, heard it can be spotty in some areas but can get the job done. Guess Ill have to wait and see what changes are done to the phone, I can get by on edge, it loads just takes alittle longer but nothing too bad
    02-28-10 09:48 PM
    Yeah, 3G isn't much faster than EDGE, its just handy because you can talk+surf at the same time

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-01-10 02:12 AM
    When I visited my family in Cincinnati for the holidays I had just gotten my iPhone. Service up there was excellent. I Was surprised since Verizon is bigger up north. I would definitely recommend AT&T for you.

03-01-10 03:17 AM
    It'll probably come down to the new iPhone in making my decision. 3g is nice though, wifi is as well,

03-01-10 08:51 AM
    If AT&T's service is good enough there, go for the 3G. I mean just try loading a youtube vid on edge and then try doing the same on 3G. No comparison. For instance, when streaming rado on edge only, my the connections buffers every couple minutes. No problem with 3G speed. Talk and surf at the same time. Trust me it's no comparison.
    03-01-10 08:59 AM
    3G is much faster, not to mention on the 3gs. In my case i don't surf the web a lot or play videos, but knowing that i have access to the fastest speeds is what gives me comfort i guess. I feel you're antsy knowing that you could do things a lot faster on your phone and although you may use 3G a lot if you switch, you'll end up easing up in the end.
    03-01-10 11:27 AM
    Yeah it's really not even close, 3G on ATT is freaking fast. EDGE is good for those times when you can't get 3G service but when you can it's all about 3G, as far as cost goes it might be a little more, but IMHO it's worth it.
    03-01-10 12:42 PM
    It depends on where you are and what phone you're using. On BB phones EDGE and ATT's 3G aren't that much different at downloading web pages for some reason. Tethering is a whole different story. But the iPhone may be different I don't have one of those. But it really depends on where you are I think.
    03-01-10 01:51 PM
    Currently paying $48 month w/ tax on cincybell (500min, unlimited text/data (edge), and with the 23% discount I get with att I think I may make the switch, roughly $54 /month without text plan. 450min & data(3g) 2 year contract lock..... Just would have to find a free texting app to replace the att one. As for tethering theres an app for it.
    03-01-10 02:54 PM
    Currently paying $48 month w/ tax on cincybell (500min, unlimited text/data (edge), and with the 23% discount I get with att I think I may make the switch, roughly $54 /month without text plan. 450min & data(3g) 2 year contract lock..... Just would have to find a free texting app to replace the att one. As for tethering theres an app for it.
    Just my advice, add at least the 200 txt plan for 5 a month. It's not that much money and that way at least you can use the native txt app some of the time.
    03-01-10 06:41 PM
    I don't even have a text plan for my iPhone. I just use my Google Voice number and set it up using GVMax to send my texts to my IM app. Works just fine, and if it ever fails me, I can just go on the Google Voice web app.
    03-01-10 06:51 PM
    at&t's 3g beats edge any day of the week. way faster indeed.
    03-01-10 07:49 PM
    Yeah I may add some text

03-01-10 08:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD