- Tweetbot: 22.2MB before the retina display update – 40.9MB after update
    - Pages: 153MB before – 364MB after
    - Numbers: 207MB before – 401MB after

Concern also expressed here -

How the iPad 3 release will negatively impact iPad 2 owners
    Well bugger, that's not good

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    03-15-12 05:26 PM
    Great piece. Absolutely echoes points I myself have made.

Was at the ER today, and I referred to some notes I had on my PB for the admitting nurse. She asked me what device I had, and when I told her she explained that she had just bought an iPad2 at Christmas and was upset that she hadn't been told of the new one coming up. She also admired the size of the PB and the rubberized back (she finds her iPad a little hard to hold at times with that smooth brushed-aluminum back).

So, for the sake of an incremental upgrade Apple once again irritated a bunch of users. And I've suggested many times before that the "improvements" in the new iPad could actually stand to make the product less attractive to users due to being heavier, with the potential for less battery life and more heat.

Of course iPads will continue to sell. I'm not foolish enough to doubt that, but I think it will ultimately be a disappointment. It's a great opportunity for RIM, which now has the chance to really differentiate the Playbook with things like the Cascades UI and NFC.

This is a new product category in its early years. No need to declare a "winner" yet.
    03-15-12 05:49 PM
    but I think it will ultimately be a disappointment. It's a great opportunity for RIM,
    Yeauh...... If they can't compete with the previous iPads, how are they expected to compete with a new one? Don't be too surprised when it's a raging success.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    03-15-12 07:09 PM
    It won't be a disappointment, first time buyers coupled with iPad 1 buyers who skipped the iPad2 will make it a success-just like everything else Apple sells. Didn't all the naysayers say the exact same thing about the 4S?
    03-15-12 07:23 PM
    Didn't all the naysayers say the exact same thing about the 4S?
    Interesting thing is I never liked the 4s. Screen is much too small for a touch only device imo. That and a lack of integration/talking between the apps is a deal breaker for me. Maybe the iP5 will address these concerns. My point however is that sales numbers don't always indicate the better product. If it did I would have not been an Apple Computer user for the last 21 years and Windows 7 would be the assumed, based on sales, the best computing experience.
    03-15-12 08:58 PM
    It won't be a disappointment, first time buyers coupled with iPad 1 buyers who skipped the iPad2 will make it a success-just like everything else Apple sells. Didn't all the naysayers say the exact same thing about the 4S?
    I agree and at the end of the day Apple is still selling products which means their customer base is happy. I think that's the goal.

OAN: I opted for the iPad 2 after selling my iPad 3 this week. I have had tons of apps update and it hasn't made that big of a difference in my storage. They have tons of apps in the app store but I can't imagine the average user has so many on their device that it makes a difference. As someone else pointed out, i never noticed a difference in available storage on my iPhone when I went from 3G to the retina display on the 4. I don't see it being an issue at all.
    03-15-12 09:09 PM
    I'm going to risk complete ridicule and suggest a couple of things:

1) The iPhone 4S benefited a bit from the "emperor's new clothes" effect, where millions of Apple enthusiasts just assumed that any new Apple product was worth the upgrade, no matter the merits. Apple can only get away with that so many times, though.

2) I'll say it: coming just a short time after the death of Steve Jobs, I think the 4S got a lot of sympathy sales that it wouldn't have had under other circumstances.

I repeat, i expect the new iPad to sell well. However the new device might be questionable, it still runs on the best app support in the business. But this market is also a moving target, and I question whether Apple can actually continue to innovate.
    03-15-12 09:57 PM

1) The iPhone 4S benefited a bit from the "emperor's new clothes" effect, where millions of Apple enthusiasts just assumed that any new Apple product was worth the upgrade, no matter the merits. Apple can only get away with that so many times, though.

2) I'll say it: coming just a short time after the death of Steve Jobs, I think the 4S got a lot of sympathy sales that it wouldn't have had under other circumstances.

I repeat, i expect the new iPad to sell well. However the new device might be questionable, it still runs on the best app support in the business. But this market is also a moving target, and I question whether Apple can actually continue to innovate.
    So what exactly are you saying then? That the new iPad will sell less well than the iPad2 did?
    03-15-12 10:22 PM

So the R&D dept. and developers at Apple aren't as smart as the people at Samsung or HTC? Don't kid yourself. Why would they not continue to innovate? Also I'm fairly certain not many folks went out and bought a 4S because of the death of Steve Jobs. I disagree, but time will tell. They've been pretty successful so far. Your statement about them "getting away with it" is humorous, especially from a BlackBerry user. Isn't this exactly what RIM has been doing for the last four years? Cramming the same tired OS into thirty different housings?
    Last edited by pilsbury; 03-16-12 at 05:09 AM.
    joe_fresh and GingerSnapsBack like this.
    03-16-12 04:43 AM
    So the R&D dept. and developers at Apple aren't as smart as the people at Samsung or HTC? Don't kid yourself. Why would they not continue to innovate?
    Personally, I think that it's because they are as smart as everyone else that the New iPad has the specs that it has. Yes, the specs themselves don't necessarily set the world alight, but they didn't need to as they are already market leader - Apple have frequently pushed the bar a little bit higher, and still have room to grow.

Their 'latest' offering may have hardware specs 'missing' in being the absolute top of the range, but it's always an easy process to add that in, and then they get the respect for listening to their consumers. Examples - no cut and paste, no camera in iPad1, I could probably go on but I'm already out of my depth!

It's smart design, marketing, and implementation.
    pilsbury likes this.
    03-16-12 07:46 AM
    We will have to see with the new iPhone if the innovation has stopped. Remember, the iPhone is the flagship device, not the iPad.
    Barljo and pilsbury like this.
    03-16-12 07:51 AM
    as much as this article tries to make points it fails to realize something critical.

Apple stock has risen 50% since steve jobs passed away... meanwhile apples 'innovation' has been stagnant since iphone 4S. It isnt about the specs or the capability of the devices that the company makes anymore. Just like people pay a premium for gucci or coach (or w/e is popular now) they will pay a premium for an apple device regardless of what it actually does. People seem to think that Apple cannot fail, and because the masses think that it makes it true. There may be a major shift coming, but that wont mean anything for the next generation devices... if anything happens it will be at least 2 years.
    03-16-12 08:33 AM
    as much as this article tries to make points it fails to realize something critical.

Apple stock has risen 50% since steve jobs passed away... meanwhile apples 'innovation' has been stagnant since iphone 4S. It isnt about the specs or the capability of the devices that the company makes anymore. Just like people pay a premium for gucci or coach (or w/e is popular now) they will pay a premium for an apple device regardless of what it actually does. People seem to think that Apple cannot fail, and because the masses think that it makes it true. There may be a major shift coming, but that wont mean anything for the next generation devices... if anything happens it will be at least 2 years.
    If people blindly follow Apple, as you suggest, because of the Apple name, why hasn't Apple TV caught on, or why isn't the Mac OS the best selling OS?
    03-16-12 10:22 AM
    If people blindly follow Apple, as you suggest, because of the Apple name, why hasn't Apple TV caught on, or why isn't the Mac OS the best selling OS?
    Stuff like that doesn't matter. It is always easier to say the logo sells it, and ignore the fact Apple makes good products.
    03-16-12 10:37 AM
    http://m.gizmodo.com/5893431/new-ipa...hort-answeryes

Early reviews are fairly glowing. Interesting problem that no one can actually SEE how beautiful the display is without physically holding one.
    03-16-12 10:39 AM
    .....unless you're looking at it on an iPhone 4 or 4S. Right?
    03-16-12 02:49 PM
    I have the Apple TV2 and love it. Lots of people around me own one too. As for the Mac OS, Apple computers are expensive compared to PC's and they aren't subsidized. Smartphones would never have taken off if the carriers didn't foot most of the bill. How many iPhones (or any other high end phone) would be sold today if the buyer had to fork over $700 bucks? Not many imo.
    03-17-12 07:03 AM
    she explained that she had just bought an iPad2 at Christmas and was upset that she hadn't been told of the new one coming up.
    Her fault. Anyone can Google search "iPad 3 release" and would have been able to see all the rumors showing when it would have came out.

People expecting Apple to say "hey we have a new iPad coming out in a few months" while they have a current version out at that point that would have a sales drop are foolish.
    03-17-12 02:21 PM
    Some people don't have a clue as to why they need the new iPad

Do consumers really understand why they need the new thing from Apple? No, they don't, in many cases.

Visits to two Apple stores on Friday confirmed my Apple Shiny Slab Theory. That is, some consumers, deep down, don't really know why they buy the newest Apple thing.

After attending a meeting in Hollywood on Friday, I stopped by an Apple store down the street in Century City (aka, Beverly Hills) and another in Santa Monica. I estimate I spent more than two hours total in those two stores.

What I witnessed was, while not shocking, pretty fascinating.

My intention was not only to try to gauge the level of interest in the new iPad but also to form (I would hope) a bulletproof rationale for upgrading from my iPad 2.

During the course of comparing my iPad 2 with the new iPad (see photos as just a couple of examples) I overheard--and participated in--a few discussions with customers and the Apple staff.

One numbingly consistent (as in "here we go again") query to Apple staff by prospective buyers--and I'll paraphrase--was: "Hey, I really don't see any difference between this new iPad and my iPad 2. Can you show me what's different?"

The Apple staff was quick to rattle off 4G, better camera, dictation, and, of course, the Retina display. But the improved camera and dictation was of little interest to the buyers I stood next to. 4G was important to a few but not material for others.

But, ah, that new display. Everybody was obsessing about that. That glorious, pixel-packing, eye-popping screen.

Too bad most of the people--again, this just an infinitesimally small sample of people standing at the same table during the couple of hours I was there--could not see the difference.

They squinted at text, flipped through photos, and scrolled up and down Web sites. And the refrain became predictable: "Hey, I still really can't see any difference." Or bottom-liners would just say something to the effect of: "No diff, man." (The latter group were typically at the store very briefly and seemed to quickly decide that they weren't interested.)
    But the clear majority of customers were obviously searching for reasons to buy. And I chimed in on occasion, laying out what I believed was a critical difference. "See, the text is more resolved, less pixelated on the new iPad." And indeed it is (again, see photos). My commentary seemed to have little effect, though.

"Yeah, I kind of see what you mean," was the tone of most responses. (Translation: "OK, the text is a little prettier. So what?")

But wait. They bought the thing anyway! I witnessed one guy whip out $900 in cash (all twenties) after asking cursory (and very untechie) questions about the screen. Others were not quite as impulsive but were close.

Almost to a person these people did not seem to be tech savvy. They didn't come into the store with notions dancing in their heads about Retina Displays, pixelation, quad-core graphics, or LTE vs. HSPA+.

So, this confirms my Apple Shiny Slab Theory. In short, certain buyers will, zombie-like, march to the Apple store and part with their cash. Yeah, they have vague ideas about new cool tech, but it's all very vague.

And, come to think about it, it's still a little vague to me as well. That's never stopped me, though.
    Some people don't have a clue as to why they need the new iPad | Nanotech - The Circuits Blog - CNET News
    03-17-12 06:21 PM
    Kinda like I don't have a clue why I need a $700 pair of black Christian Louboutin's when with the exception of the red sole, they look identical to my $140 Coach pumps. The only thing I can think of is that I go to work everyday and will spend my hard earned money however I choose.

Why again do we feel people need to justify their purchase to the masses. Be it the playbook or the iPad? Please explain.
    TGR1 likes this.
    03-18-12 09:23 AM
    Well I don't know about anyone else but I feel that unless I'm paying for the device I could not care less what anyone uses. Similarly, I expect to be left alone about my choices.

Had some clown question why I have my devices. The day he has to balance my bank account he can ask me that question. Until that day.....not at all.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    03-18-12 09:41 AM
    Kinda like I don't have a clue why I need a $700 pair of black Christian Louboutin's when with the exception of the red sole, they look identical to my $140 Coach pumps. The only thing I can think of is that I go to work everyday and will spend my hard earned money however I choose.
    Dead on, except that handbags and John Hardy jewelry are my areas of interest
    03-18-12 12:38 PM
    Dead on, except that handbags and John Hardy jewelry are my areas of interest
    Handbags!! Yes! :-)
    03-18-12 01:08 PM

Why again do we feel people need to justify their purchase to the masses. Be it the playbook or the iPad? Please explain.
    Thanks for emphasizing the truth - it's just about having a status symbol, not finding the best device for your money. Just like flashing the red soles, it's about LOOK AT ME! I've got money to burn. I've got the newest apple device, aren't u jellyous? You drive a BMW? Well, I've got an M series...

The only one telling you how to spend your money is Apple and you follow every command. You're welcome to spend your money how you like, but like the saying goes, you and it will soon be parted.
    Last edited by TheScionicMan; 03-18-12 at 03:44 PM.
    03-18-12 03:42 PM
    Handbags!! Yes! :-)
    Dooney and Bourke fan girl here! And Louis, of course!
    03-18-12 04:33 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD