It's not something you would find in the mainstream media. Enjoy.

3 Reasons Why the New iPad Will Be Dead on Arrival (DOA) | The Gadget Masters

The new iPad launched on Wednesday to little fanfare. Consumers were confused why the tablet was not called iPad 3. In addition, the new tablet appears nearly identical to the iPad 2, meaning few iPad 2 users will be looking to upgrade...

3 Reasons Why the New iPad Will Be Dead on Arrival (DOA) | The Gadget Masters
    VIDGMER likes this.
    03-13-12 08:10 PM
    3 Reasons iPad will not be DOA.
    1. Fanboys.
    2. Fangirls.
    3. Fanthings.
    Barljo and poloandpearls like this.
    03-13-12 08:12 PM
    Let's define "DOA". How poor do sales have to be for it to be a failure?
    03-13-12 08:23 PM
    El oh El

I'll be sure to reopen this next quarter when they've sold 20 million.
    03-13-12 08:25 PM
    Yes, the iPhone 4S was disappointing as well. I may be a moderator on a BlackBerry site but I'm not a blithering , if anyone thinks the new iPad is gonna be a flop you should probably sign yourself into a mental institution.
    pri79269, Barljo, Shao128 and 2 others like this.
    03-13-12 08:32 PM
    It will have disappointing sales like that silly album by Michael Jackson called Thriller.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    03-13-12 08:42 PM
    So that's why they've already sold out of the preorder stock?? I knew it!! I better sell off my stock before its to late.
    03-13-12 09:32 PM
    I don't believe the author meant us to take the heading literally. He does make some interesting points none the less.

'1) New iPad Cannot Compete with Kindle Fire and BlackBerry PlayBook

In the low-end, Apple has to compete with Amazon’s cheaper $199 Kindle Fire, which also has a comprehensive app and ebook store. The attractive price of the Kindle Fire has resulted in strong sales. In the high-end, the new iPad has to compete with the BlackBerry PlayBook. With the PlayBook 2.0 update in late February, the PlayBook has far superior functionality to the new iPad in many areas. For example, the web browser on PlayBook 2.0 is the fastest among all tablets, with a HTML5 score of 354 (versus the iPad’s 305).

Even when the PlayBook launched in April 2011, it already had specifications far superior to the iPad 2 (1 GB RAM vs 512 MB, 5 MP camera vs 0.92 MP and 1080P video recording vs 720P). The new iPad allows Apple to merely catch up to the PlayBook, with a 5 MP camera and 1080P video recording (both of which the PlayBook already had). In addition, the PlayBook has many unique features, including the ability to run Android apps, full integration with Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn and the incredible BlackBerry Remote.'

It's ok to recognize the PlayBooks strengths without having to get defensive about it.
    03-13-12 11:42 PM
    The iPad has NEVER had to compete with the Kindle or the PlayBook. It's a high end device, the two you mentioned are not. People will still pay a premium price for quality products. OP, wait till the year end sales figures are released, them you'll see exactly what a flop the new iPad is.
    03-14-12 04:31 AM
    Sales will tell you that specs don't translate to success. What Apple has done with the iPod, iPhone and iPad is to manufacture simple, well constructed, well supported products that have unparalleled appeal in the world of electronics.
    Oh God now I will get a million answers as to what has had more appeal than the iProducts....
    I returned my iP3GS back in July 09. When I logged into iTunes with my iP4S it was as if I'd been there all along. No key codes, no drama. With Android I had to find the apps I wanted all over again. With AppWorld I have to deal with key codes. With iTunes, nothing. Everything was there.
    The iPad will sell because to a vast majority of consumers it means easy, simple, effortless access in a package that is visually appealing. People take notice of that.
    Specs wise I hold the PB next to the iPad and I know which is the winner. Appeal wise the iPad grabs me.
    I say this as a primarily BB user and fan of the platform who is open enough to own the other platforms and who accepts that different platforms indeed have different strengths.
    The iPad 3 will destroy the market. To think otherwise is wrong.
    Unfair to the PB? Yes. But it's the truth.
    03-14-12 05:15 AM
    So if sells less than the other ipads does that make it a failure? Probably not since it will still sell plenty.
    03-14-12 05:39 AM
    This is silly, the "new iPad" will sell a lot, like the iPad, and iPad2 did before, think otherwise is delusional, and by the way I don't like iPod/iPhone/iPad but I'm not blind
    03-14-12 07:22 AM
    I was actually gonna give this article the benefit of the doubt... But, when I saw that this gentleman was actually ******** about a mere MILLIMETER addition to the thickness, I knew he was grabbing at straws.

Apple will pretty much always dominate the market for the foreseeable future, especially in the tablet world. It's just pure law right now.
    03-14-12 07:40 AM
    I don't believe the author meant us to take the heading literally. He does make some interesting points none the less.

In the low-end, Apple has to compete with Amazon’s cheaper $199 Kindle Fire, which also has a comprehensive app and ebook store. The attractive price of the Kindle Fire has resulted in strong sales. In the high-end, the new iPad has to compete with the BlackBerry PlayBook. With the PlayBook 2.0 update in late February, the PlayBook has far superior functionality to the new iPad in many areas. For example, the web browser on PlayBook 2.0 is the fastest among all tablets, with a HTML5 score of 354 (versus the iPad’s 305).

Even when the PlayBook launched in April 2011, it already had specifications far superior to the iPad 2 (1 GB RAM vs 512 MB, 5 MP camera vs 0.92 MP and 1080P video recording vs 720P). The new iPad allows Apple to merely catch up to the PlayBook, with a 5 MP camera and 1080P video recording (both of which the PlayBook already had). In addition, the PlayBook has many unique features, including the ability to run Android apps, full integration with Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn and the incredible BlackBerry Remote.'

It's ok to recognize the PlayBooks strengths without having to get defensive about it.
    Im not personally getting defensive. I will most likely be adding the playbook to my gadget collection. I just don't see the point in the endless "My team is better then yours" threads.
    I feel like the only people who need to dig up and share these articles, are those that need to justify their purchases to the masses and especially to themselves. I buy what works for me. No article is going to change that.
    Mr.Monty likes this.
    03-14-12 08:03 AM
    Here is something to think about, Most of the orders for the New iPad are from existing iPad owners looking to level up for the new magical box. So don't be surprised for the sudden level of used iPads on the market to suddenly rise.
    03-14-12 08:32 AM
    Here is something to think about, Most of the orders for the New iPad are from existing iPad owners looking to level up for the new magical box. So don't be surprised for the sudden level of used iPads on the market to suddenly rise.
    I don't think anyone would be surprised or care. I sold my old one (1st gen) in 24 hours. I don't think I'd be as inclined to purchase Apple product if I couldn't bank on selling my old one, usually for a profit, whenever I felt like upgrading.
    pilsbury likes this.
    03-14-12 09:56 AM

In the low-end, Apple has to compete with Amazon�s cheaper $199 Kindle Fire, which also has a comprehensive app and ebook store. The attractive price of the Kindle Fire has resulted in strong sales. In the high-end, the new iPad has to compete with the BlackBerry PlayBook. With the PlayBook 2.0 update in late February, the PlayBook has far superior functionality to the new iPad in many areas. For example, the web browser on PlayBook 2.0 is the fastest among all tablets, with a HTML5 score of 354 (versus the iPad�s 305).

1. Saying that in the high-end, the new iPad has to compete with the BlackBerry PlayBook is pretty hilarious. Market wise, the Playbook already can't compete with the Kindle Fire at same price point, let alone at $500 price point of the iPad 2.

Now the last year iPad 2 price at $400, and the new ipad with double resolution screen, the most noticeable thing when people buying tablet, priced at the same old $500.
    And suddenly the Playbook got pumped to that level of competition? What is the logic behind this???

The new software update to the Playbook, which is just add the missing basic function like email, PIM, folder? And still left behind a lot of basic feature compared to other OS, like bookmark manager, built-in dictionary, cloud integration, document sync/backup, automatic push content, notification scheduler/push notification for 3rd-party app, Airplay/DLNA,....

Then you claim that the PlayBook has far superior functionality, what is the logic behind this?

And no, the score in your post is HTML5 compatible, not performance.
    FYI, iPad 2 iOS 5 have browsermark score almost double the score of Playbook running OS2.0, also a far better javascript performance/benchmark, and a far better HTML5 graphic performance/benchmark due to a far superior GPU.

2. I don't know what are you trying to say, but claim that the Playbook "had specifications far superior" to the iPad 2 and compared something minor in a tablet device like camera but leave out the important thing like battery life and SoC(same CPU, 4x GPU performance) is hilarious.
    And maybe the new iPad merely catch up to the PlayBook for your special need, like using tablet mainly for take picture and record video. But for most of customer, it is not.

Yes, it's ok to recognize the PlayBooks strengths, but at least use some logic and correct information.
    pilsbury likes this.
    03-14-12 02:10 PM
    Where does that stat come from?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    03-14-12 07:37 PM
    And the used one's still hold their value pretty well - around here anyway.

I see our Telco's are now selling them too which is new. That's a change. Vodafone used to bundle the Playbook with the 9860. Now they are concentrating on the new iPad.
    03-14-12 07:55 PM
    Am I on Crackberry or The Onion? As much as I dislike the iDevices, I have no doubts they will sell a ton regardless of the "improvements". They could have announced the iPad 2 in a rainbow of colors and gotten practically the same sales and media spike. It's like when you hear a really bad song on the radio and think "Why are they even playing this garbage?". Next thing you know, it's the next big hit...

Where does that stat come from?
    iPad 2 prices fall with next model looming
    03-14-12 07:59 PM
    Am I on Crackberry or The Onion? As much as I dislike the iDevices, I have no doubts they will sell a ton regardless of the "improvements". They could have announced the iPad 2 in a rainbow of colors and gotten practically the same sales and media spike. It's like when you hear a really bad song on the radio and think "Why are they even playing this garbage?". Next thing you know, it's the next big hit...

iPad 2 prices fall with next model looming
    From that article

"But "early adopters who want the latest and the greatest" are still relatively a small group, says Steve Baker, an analyst at consumer market research firm NPD Group."

"In the last year, tablet owners have gotten mainstream," he says. "Most users (won't) dump a product that works fine for them. Sales will jump, but that's because there's a broadening of the base of consumers who are interested in (tablets)."

So his statement was inaccurate?

"Here is something to think about, Most of the orders for the New iPad are from existing iPad owners looking to level up for the new magical box."

I imagine a lot are upgrades but doubtful that it's "most".

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xandermac; 03-15-12 at 06:31 AM.
    03-15-12 06:25 AM
    Problematic issue will prove to be the retina screen and the apps built for it.

Specs out now for some of the apps suggest double the size from previous versions, so users essentially getting 1/2 the storage (and still no external ports to assist with that), while paying the same price as 'old' iPad 2.

More problematic, as developers put out retina-friendly apps, updating and replacing their current ones, users of previous iPads will also find this storage drop too, while finding no benefits available to them.

Users better hope that the developers and Apple set up some sort of two-tier iPad App Store and that they continue to release 'old' screen versions - otherwise I can see people will will be really cognizant of the size of the stuff out there, stop updating and/or (worse for the developers and Apple) stop buying them.

That all done, I keep hoping Apple will then fix the built-in iOS apps - Mail with attachments, Reminders and Newsstand leap immediately to mind...
    03-15-12 05:05 PM
    From that article

"But "early adopters who want the latest and the greatest" are still relatively a small group, says Steve Baker, an analyst at consumer market research firm NPD Group."

"In the last year, tablet owners have gotten mainstream," he says. "Most users (won't) dump a product that works fine for them. Sales will jump, but that's because there's a broadening of the base of consumers who are interested in (tablets)."

So his statement was inaccurate?

"Here is something to think about, Most of the orders for the New iPad are from existing iPad owners looking to level up for the new magical box."

I imagine a lot are upgrades but doubtful that it's "most".

If he had said "many", would you still have an issue? I just saw a Gazelle ad last night specifically talking about selling your current iPad to get the new one...
    03-15-12 05:09 PM
    .More problematic, as developers put out retina-friendly apps, updating and replacing their current ones, users of previous iPads will also find this storage drop too, while finding no benefits available to them.
    do you have a source for this as it doesn't appear to be the case for non-retina display iPhones.

03-15-12 05:11 PM
    do you have a source for this as it doesn't appear to be the case for non-retina display iPhones.
    Take a look at these posted specs for updates -

- Tweetbot: 22.2MB before the retina display update � 40.9MB after update
    - Pages: 153MB before � 364MB after
    - Numbers: 207MB before � 401MB after

Concern also expressed here -

How the iPad 3 release will negatively impact iPad 2 owners
    03-15-12 05:25 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD