Will At&t add a data plan to somebody who is going to use a 1st gen iPhone with no data? I know somebody who was given a the old iphone but they just want to use the phone for voice service and iPod only. I know At&t is targeting people using the 3G and 3GS with no data but didnt know if they were on the 1st gen.

Thanks in advance
    08-14-09 02:20 PM
    Hey man , we will most likely get away with it for MAYBE the first 30 days , but once the system sees his "non-smartphone" sim is in a iphone , they will charge the data , and i had a buddy who was actually back charged for data.
    08-14-09 06:47 PM
    It's tough to say. I've seen the case where it was added automatically and the bill was not looking too good. The iPhone uses data even when you don't realize it.

Honestly, it's a risk, but just have your buddy remember that if it does get added, that's a risk he's taking in getting either a data plan charge or the pay per use data.
    08-14-09 06:55 PM
    Just jailbreak it and use medianet.
    08-15-09 11:19 AM
    The person I know just decided to use it as a iPod on wifi and just use the regular cell for all voice calls. They dont want to pay to $20 for data
    08-15-09 11:22 AM
    lavinci, sorry for being so daft, but how does jailbreaking the phone get around the sim registering data flowing to device (whether iphone or other)... ?

can't one completely disable the data on the iphone (turning off APN) in order not to be charged for data? my wife has a cingular phone plan and i've unlocked/jailbroken a 1st gen iphone, i can get the phone to work and the data to not work.
    08-15-09 10:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD