My mom got her first cell phone, ever, an iPhone 4. Nice little phone! I got her on the $15/month data plan.

She probably will email, use Live Profile only. Can't see her using internet much. The rep tried to get her on the highest, saying the iPhone syns constantly and uses a lot of data.

Advice?
    10-21-11 07:16 PM
    What does the $15 get her?
    10-21-11 07:25 PM
    Have no idea!
    10-21-11 07:26 PM
    Better check, Chrisy. It may be 250mb and she'd only need to have a girlfriend send her a few sewing videos and she's had it!!
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-21-11 07:32 PM
    Yeah, Ill go check. I know my Android uses a lot of data. My BlackBerry rarely got over 1GB.

How's the iPhone in general on data? Hungry or conservative?

My mom can't sew! Lol!
    10-21-11 07:35 PM
    I would think as long as she is not streaming she should be okay. Just teach her how to use wifi when its available and monitor the use for a couple of months. You can always bump it up later if necessary.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-21-11 07:39 PM
    I went with the 4gb to be safe. I think 2gb should be fine as long as she's not downloading apps. Wifi is your best friend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-21-11 07:40 PM
    Depends on what you use it for. I never went over about 750mb, but I had 4 email addresses on it and browsed the web a bit. It is very easy to use, and that's where some people get trapped.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-21-11 07:40 PM
    I would think as long as she is not streaming she should be okay. Just teach her how to use wifi when its available and monitor the use for a couple of months. You can always bump it up later if necessary.
    And this. There are apps (Consume I think) that will warn her when she goes near her limit too.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-21-11 07:42 PM
    Not sure what $15 gets you but here is what they publish.

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=CAgpP_t-

Looks like they got her on a 75M per month with 250 text going by their prices. I use data moderately and average 1G or so a month. My wife who does not use much averages about 6 to 10 M per month.
    10-21-11 07:44 PM
    Sorry. Forgot to mention she has AT&T. They don't have wifi at their house. I don't think she'll download any apps.
    10-21-11 08:12 PM
    She should be fine.

$15.00/month

DataPlus 200MB for iPhone 4S includes 200MB of wireless data for Apps, Email, Web, and Social Networking for use in the US. If 200MB is exceeded, an additional 200MB is automatically provided at a rate of $15 for each additional 200MB. All data allowances, including overages, must be used in the billing period in which the allowance is provided. DataPlus plans include unlimited Wi-Fi usage on the AT&T national Wi-Fi network. To find an AT&T Hot Spot near you visit AT&T Wi-Fi. For more details on Data Plans, go to Wi-Fi Data & Tethering Data Plan - Wireless from AT&T. Also try the AT&T Data Usage Calculator tool att.com/datacalculator to estimate how much data you use every month.

Please note: An eligible data plan for iPhone is required. If AT&T determines that you are using an iPhone on your account without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee. This data plan covers data usage in the United States and does not cover international data usage and charges. For information on international plans visit att.com/international.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-21-11 08:21 PM
    It should be enough. But, use it for the first month. Two-three days before the end of the billing cycle check how much she has used. If she is over you can change the plan for that month and they will back date it to day one. That way you're not paying overages

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk...
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-21-11 08:22 PM
    Thanks so much guys!
    10-21-11 08:24 PM
    <3 my unlimited data plan.
    10-21-11 09:36 PM
    I have the 200MB plan on my blackberry right now, and have come close to 200 MB once (198MB)..but.. when I upgrade to the 4s next month, i'm going to up that to the $25, 2GB plan..
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-21-11 11:29 PM
    I have used over 200MB of data and I am usually in a WiFi area. My billing cycle ends on 11/7.

If it wasn't for WiFi, I'd be using 1.5-2.5GB a month with ease.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-21-11 11:42 PM
    App downloads are killers of the cap

Chrisy likes this.
    10-21-11 11:55 PM
    App downloads are killers of the cap

Good to know, thank you! She won't be downloading any apps. I'll let her know though in case she surprises me. Ha.

Man, I appreciate my unlimited plan so much more!
    10-22-11 06:44 AM
    I had a $40 iPhone Value Pack (500 MB included, along with Call Display, Visual Voicemail, unlimited text/photo/video, etc) and that served me well much of the time when I was at home - what with a home wi-fi and local coffee shops to take up some of the heavier lifting like app installs, updates and these apps 'phoning home' for data. And, for the most part (not watching a lot of streaming video), this worked just fine. However, I spent some time away from home and had to rely on wireless only, and I did exceed the 500 MBs - albeit only slightly - a couple of times.

With that knowledge - and the recent acquisition of a wi-fi iPad able to use my iPhone as a hotspot - I recently updated my account. I got a $16 Value Pack that covered the stuff like Call Display, Visual Voicemail, 500 text/photo/video messages, etc and then added a special deal (for the iPhone 4s release) of 6 GB data for $30.

So, for an additional $6/month, I significantly increased my data and I don't think I'll need to worry about it for awhile!

The $25 Plan you mention should be loads for the most part.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-22-11 07:52 AM
    My husband is grandfathered into his unlimited data plan from AT&T. Because I left iPhone and went to the 9800, I lost my unlimited data. I went ahead and jumped on the 4GB data plan just to be on the safe side. I doubt I'll use that much since when I'm at home I exclusively use WiFi since the 3G is crap at my house.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-22-11 08:05 AM
    Good to know, thank you! She won't be downloading any apps. I'll let her know though in case she surprises me. Ha.

Man, I appreciate my unlimited plan so much more!
    I know. But I bit the bullet for greener pastures in the future. I hope to transfer in six months with apple knowledge in my head

10-22-11 10:52 AM
    Make sure she can't get OTA updates such as OS upgrades, which is now how iOS can be updated. Without wifi that will be the killer. When OS upgrades get pushed out go to the Apple Store if you can, they will update for you.

She doesn't have iCloud or anything like that turned on, correct?

Also, be aware that sending pictures and photos and cute little data-chomping videos taken by that nice camera is *extremely* easy with iMessage. Remind your mom to be careful about that too
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-22-11 02:18 PM
    Make sure she can't get OTA updates such as OS upgrades, which is now how iOS can be updated. Without wifi that will be the killer. When OS upgrades get pushed out go to the Apple Store if you can, they will update for you.

She doesn't have iCloud or anything like that turned on, correct?

Also, be aware that sending pictures and photos and cute little data-chomping videos taken by that nice camera is *extremely* easy with iMessage. Remind your mom to be careful about that too
    Ah, yes! Thanks for these tips!
    10-22-11 02:22 PM
    Yep, wi-fi is a blessing. I use data-intensive apps a lot. Average about 500 MB. I have unlimited with Sprint, but who knows how long that'll last..
    10-22-11 02:37 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD