Approximately 12% of consumers who visited a retail store this past weekend to make their iPhone 3G S purchase said they were replacing a BlackBerry handset, the latest sign that Apple continues to make headway against rival Research in Motion in the high-stakes smartphone market.

That data point is one of several interesting statistics to come out of a survey by Piper Jaffray of 256 early iPhone 3G S adopters shopping for their new handsets at Apple retail stores in New York and Minnesota this past weekend. A similar survey conducted during last year's iPhone 3G launch found that just 6% of buyers were replacing a BlackBerry, suggesting Apple may be on pace to double its market share gains from RIM this time around.

Although Nokia leads the worldwide smartphone market with a commanding 41.2% share, Apple and its iPhone are most frequently compared to RIM and its BlackBerry devices due to their similarities and target audience. The most recent market share figures from Gartner rank Apple third with a 10.8% share, behind second-place RIM with its 19.9% slice of the market.

Of those iPhone 3G S buyers surveyed this weekend, 43% purchased the higher-capacity 32GB model and 57% were content with the 16GB model. This compares to 66% of buyers who selected the higher capacity 16GB iPhone 3G last year and 95% who purchased the higher capacity 6GB original iPhone when it was launched in 2007.

Speaking to clients in a report on the matter, analyst Gene Munster said he sees this trend as a sign that Apple may no longer be able to drive the average selling prices (ASPs) of iPhones higher simply by introducing models with greater storage capacity, as the lower capacity model appears to be sufficient for most early adopters for the first time in the handset's history this year.

Meanwhile, the survey signals that AT&T continues to reap the benefits of its exclusive deal to sell the iPhone in the U.S., with 28% of early iPhone 3G S adopters reporting that they are new to AT&T. This figure compares to 38% of iPhone 3G buyers last year who said they were making the jump to AT&T for the first time.

Piper Jaffray's survey also addressed the issue of iPod cannibalization by the iPhone, given that each iPhone is also a fully featured iPod. But interestingly enough, more than half (54%) of iPhone 3G S buyers said they planned to continue using a separate iPod in addition to their iPhone, up from 51% during the year-ago survey.

Overall, 56% of those surveyed said they were upgrading from an early iPhone model, with a resounding 88% saying their decision to make the jump to the new iPhone was driven by the handset's new feature set.

"We believe this shows Apple is developing brand loyalty not enjoyed by other mobile phone makers," Munster told clients. "At the outset of the company's iPhone initiative, one of Apple's goals was to develop the kind of brand loyalty they have developed among Mac and iPod customers and we believe they are succeeding thus far."

As the footprint expands, and loyalty expands as well, Apple will increasingly enjoy a base of customers who regularly upgrade to the newest version of the mobile phones the company releases in what appears to be an annual cycle," he added.

Munster maintained his Buy rating and $180 price target on Apple, saying he's incrementally more confident in his estimate that the company will sell 5 million iPhones during the current quarter ending June.
    linkBy Sam Oliver
    06-22-09 12:01 PM
    Well i would be apart of that ! , i ditched my storm and 8330 , for the 3gs 32 gig , and havent looked back yet , (except BBM lol )
    06-22-09 01:00 PM
    Same here, ditched my Bold for a 16gb 3GS and never happier. BIS simply isnt good enough in its stripped down features to justify carrying a BB anymore.
    06-22-09 01:28 PM
    If I didn't require a BB for work I would probably have a 3GS right now.
    06-22-09 01:46 PM
    I ditched my Curve 8310 last year, then I ditched the Storm in December and I've was using both 3G and a Bold. Now i'm exclusively iPhone.

It's funny because 3 different iPhone models made me completely ditched 3 different blackberry model.

8310 to original iPhone then 3G (foolishly went to the Storm)
    Storm to back to 3G
    Bold to 3GS
    06-22-09 04:32 PM
    I ditched my Curve 8310 last year, then I ditched the Storm in December and I've was using both 3G and a Bold. Now i'm exclusively iPhone.

It's funny because 3 different iPhone models made me completely ditched 3 different blackberry model.

8310 to original iPhone then 3G (foolishly went to the Storm)
    Storm to back to 3G
    Bold to 3GS
    Yeah , its tight ! , i just .... im missing alot of things that the bold can offer .... ugh ... tempted to switch .. idk ... miss multi tasking and MMS and push lol
    06-22-09 04:43 PM
    in about 4 months 15 percent of the iPhone 3gs users will get a blackberry back out haha
    06-22-09 07:29 PM
    Ouch! That BB number went up from 6%, 6%, to 12%.

Come on over to the dark side.
    06-22-09 08:00 PM
    in about 4 months 15 percent of the iPhone 3gs users will get a blackberry back out haha
    Lol, don't count on it. The iPhone is only getting better. It can pretty much do everything. By next year, the only bad thing people will say about the iPhone, is that it doesn't have a physical keyboard.
    06-22-09 08:01 PM
    Lol, don't count on it. The iPhone is only getting better. It can pretty much do everything. By next year, the only bad thing people will say about the iPhone, is that it doesn't have a physical keyboard.
    That's why I ditched mine, the touch screen can be a PITA to get used to. The one thing I do miss about it though is the web browser. It is much better than the one on my Curve.
    06-22-09 08:09 PM
    my 16gig white 3gs was ordered today. im so pumped, the 3g alread kills every BB ive ever messed with for what i use a phone for.
    06-22-09 10:38 PM
    \

1. can't change the battery (they proved this isn't going to change by also sealing the battery inside of there laptops so when you see the phone actually freeze on you for the first time good luck waiting about 10 minutes before it will reboot)

2. they spouted off mms messaging for the new unit yet its not available at launch.

3. people always love to talk about all the great apps.. when I first got my iPhone no apps were available yet then finally that upgrade came out and the app store was flooded for about 2 months solid I downloaded applications was great fun for the time being.. until just shortly after all that fus I realized that most the applications ended up being utterly useless.. dont get me wrong there was some sweet applications and still are.. but if you want the number of useful ones cut the entire store in half and you might have a solid number....

4. true push email you know they claimed it and it never was and probably never will be.

5. true multi tasking.. I want more then 1 application running at a time.. apple is yet to be convinced that anyone needs this on a phone.. I doubt they will be convinced of it in a year...

don't get me wrong there is a ton of things that I liked about the phone

how smooth it was
    the nice browser was a plus
    media such as mp3's is almost unbeatable its a ipod so thats obvious.. but I still put the pre as a solid contender in that department..

youtube looked really good on it but now with vision for youtube on the blackberry its identical for the most part..

the new video recording/editing features are pretty cool

but really the communication on the iPhone is just well normal.. nothing magnificent never was still isn't thats why I am loving bb's its a department they have mastered.. now while bb's are not on the very top of some of the other features that were mentioned those are not as much of a deal breaker for me as the issues with the iPhone were..

if you spill water or anything by accident on your iPhone whats going to save you ...

whatever genius thought it was good to make a battery permanent in a electronic device was not the smartest...

look I always believe that users have to pick the phone or item that works for them I can never discredit someones choice if they actually like it and its useful to them..

what irritates me is when users talk about the prettiness of it.. and claim thats the reason its so much better? comon you spend that much money a month to have something pretty? I guess everyone has what they like and dislike..

the iPhone is not something to spit on but for me personally it has a ton of deal breakers which is why I am not using it anymore..
    I would be willing to bet that some of you that jumped aboard if not in 2 months 9 months from now will be looking for something else because it doesn't cover what your completely used to or want. I myself was head over heals for it when I got mine too.
    06-22-09 11:50 PM
    I think noaim is putting up a good fight like the rest of the storm uers but it will be only a matter of time. MobileMe is push, yahoo is push, MS Exchange is push..etc. etc.
    2. I can't agree with you more, At&t dropped the ball big time.

Battery has been adequate, no gripes.
    06-23-09 07:09 AM
    Well i would be apart of that ! , i ditched my storm and 8330 , for the 3gs 32 gig , and havent looked back yet , (except BBM lol )
    So far BBM is the only thing that I'm missing lol. People are just going to have to get used to texting me now
    06-23-09 08:30 AM
    \

1. can't change the battery (they proved this isn't going to change by also sealing the battery inside of there laptops so when you see the phone actually freeze on you for the first time good luck waiting about 10 minutes before it will reboot)

2. they spouted off mms messaging for the new unit yet its not available at launch.

3. people always love to talk about all the great apps.. when I first got my iPhone no apps were available yet then finally that upgrade came out and the app store was flooded for about 2 months solid I downloaded applications was great fun for the time being.. until just shortly after all that fus I realized that most the applications ended up being utterly useless.. dont get me wrong there was some sweet applications and still are.. but if you want the number of useful ones cut the entire store in half and you might have a solid number....

4. true push email you know they claimed it and it never was and probably never will be.

5. true multi tasking.. I want more then 1 application running at a time.. apple is yet to be convinced that anyone needs this on a phone.. I doubt they will be convinced of it in a year...

don't get me wrong there is a ton of things that I liked about the phone

how smooth it was
    the nice browser was a plus
    media such as mp3's is almost unbeatable its a ipod so thats obvious.. but I still put the pre as a solid contender in that department..

youtube looked really good on it but now with vision for youtube on the blackberry its identical for the most part..

the new video recording/editing features are pretty cool

but really the communication on the iPhone is just well normal.. nothing magnificent never was still isn't thats why I am loving bb's its a department they have mastered.. now while bb's are not on the very top of some of the other features that were mentioned those are not as much of a deal breaker for me as the issues with the iPhone were..

if you spill water or anything by accident on your iPhone whats going to save you ...

whatever genius thought it was good to make a battery permanent in a electronic device was not the smartest...

look I always believe that users have to pick the phone or item that works for them I can never discredit someones choice if they actually like it and its useful to them..

what irritates me is when users talk about the prettiness of it.. and claim thats the reason its so much better? comon you spend that much money a month to have something pretty? I guess everyone has what they like and dislike..

the iPhone is not something to spit on but for me personally it has a ton of deal breakers which is why I am not using it anymore..
    I would be willing to bet that some of you that jumped aboard if not in 2 months 9 months from now will be looking for something else because it doesn't cover what your completely used to or want. I myself was head over heals for it when I got mine too.
    It goes to show you how awesome the iPhone is NOW...you only think of FIVE things...LOL!

1 is pointless....have you seen the new MacBook Pro's and how GREAT their battery life is now...
    2 MMS works for some people...and who cares, we'll all have it next week or so...sooo, you can scratch out this one.
    3 APP STORE is the best...who's even close???
    4 My push works just fine...
    5 the new iphone is capable of this...its not a big deal since we have push notifications now.

I'm not reading the rest..

the iphone is the best thing since slice bread! lol. please go to ur nearest apple store or att store and purchase one. you know u want one. its the best.
    06-23-09 03:27 PM
    i have to honestly say i am impressed with the new mac's
    i bought the new mackbook pro and got a free ipod touch when i bought it and if this is like the phone i may be sold.
    i am really liking the thinness and quick app changing.
    i do not work in an office anymore so i really dont need the cooperate stuff along with the BB
    my contract is up aug of 10 and i am hoping att will lose their rights to the phone and it can be apart of another carrier.
    if it is i am totally switching.

i always said i hated touchscreen but since downloading the 3.0 os i never have typos.

i think i am sold. no more hourglass, lol
    06-23-09 06:16 PM
    It goes to show you how awesome the iPhone is NOW...you only think of FIVE things...LOL!

1 is pointless....have you seen the new MacBook Pro's and how GREAT their battery life is now...

spill liquid on it and save it, have either the laptop or phone freeze up and fix it quickly.. once again sealing a battery in ANY electronic device is dumb sorry this will never change its not smart battery's are the one thing in technology that do not improve hardly at all just slightly.. so why seal it into a advanced product.. believe me in the time you own your iPhone if you use some applications you will find it to freeze on you completely and sometimes have to wait 20 minutes or more for the thing to finally decide to reboot.

2 MMS works for some people...and who cares, we'll all have it next week or so...sooo, you can scratch out this one.
    my point still kind of stands true reguardless if its available for some folks or not mms should have been on the very first release of the iPhone to begin with and is even more rediculous that it is not included in the pre..

when dumb phones that have been out for 8 years can do mms and these things cant... thats plain rediculous.

3 APP STORE is the best...who's even close???

didn't say anyone was close to the number of apps.. but honestly out of those numbers the number of "useful" apps is not that big.. I can remember about 15 apps enabling landscape mode for instant messengers and email when it came out..

there has been many many reports on a great number of applications that have been useless and a good portion of the applications are games... now do I think that its not nice having all those apps no I think its cool.. but they tout the number of applications in that store and the number is just that "a number" because even you after a short period of having the phone will realize that the number of apps you want will dwindlw extremely fast and you will get board of looking in the itunes store for them because most the apps get repeated over and over along with the new creation of really dumb ones.. I can speak after 6 months of watching apps poor in in the time I have had my blackberry there is 1 application from the iPhone that I miss and its being developed right now.

4 My push works just fine...

thats just it apple claims push.. its not true push its actually device fetch..
    meaning that the iPhone reaches out to grab the mail.. if it was true push the iPhone would get better battery life then it already does and email would come in faster then it does.. not that the battery life is terrible on the iPhone because its actually good.. but steve even got called on using the term "push" when it just isn't

5 the new iphone is capable of this...its not a big deal since we have push notifications now.

"push" notifications is not multi tasking.. multi tasking is being in multiple applications at one time and easily switching between them.. right now you basically have whats like the Berry popup program where it will notify you of a event in which case you will have to close your current application to jump into the other one... not multi tasking..

this is where the pre actually destroyed the iPhone and its sad that the iPhone has so much more power and they didn't include it on the new one. the main reason for not having it before was apple claimed that the Phone wouldn't have enough power to do it and it would slow it down.. now they beefed it up so where is it.

I'm not reading the rest..

the iphone is the best thing since slice bread! lol. please go to ur nearest apple store or att store and purchase one. you know u want one. its the best.

I highly highly dissagree with this last statement.. and you will in a while as well you will complain about the things its missing eventually and wait for those things for months and months and months and apple still wont fix it on there next update.. sadly I love apple computers and originally loved the iPhone.. while being innovative they have never been extremely savvy on updating there current products.. laptops etc all stay the same for many years for the most part... just look the new 13 inch mac pro was actually called a 13 inch aluminum macbook (no pro) the day before the pro version came out and they took away the regular version.. not hardly a change to it..

once again I love apple but there slacking here. sorry

have to post 10 characters because my typing was done inside the quotes
    \
    06-23-09 07:07 PM
    This is true for me, i got me a 3gs this weekend and i'm selling my blackberry storm...
    06-23-09 07:26 PM
    have to post 10 characters because my typing was done inside the quotes
    \
    You are saying that the iPhone doesn't have true push. So when I get an email, and it magically appears on my iPhone 2 seconds later, that's not push? So are you saying the device is fetching every 2 seconds, because then Apple would be lying when they say it fetches every 15 minutes. If they are lying, then they should just call it "really really really really really really really fast fetch".
    06-23-09 07:49 PM
    MobileMe is your friend.
    06-23-09 07:51 PM
    You are saying that the iPhone doesn't have true push. So when I get an email, and it magically appears on my iPhone 2 seconds later, that's not push? So are you saying the device is fetching every 2 seconds, because then Apple would be lying when they say it fetches every 15 minutes. If they are lying, then they should just call it "really really really really really really really fast fetch".
    If you have access to exchange it is push. Now by my understanding itll change the number of emails you have (badge number), but when you go into the email app it actually then downloads the email message.

i dont think this method uses any more battery life than "full true exchange" on phones like Windows mobile, because at some point the email has to download either way. Its only "fetching" when you want to see the email and go into the app, and it honestly takes a whopping 2-3 seconds. All of the exchange features (folders, contacts sync, calendar sync) etc all work fine.

I havent had any problems using my exchange account on the 3GS vs any of my old WM phones. I see very little difference if any.
    06-23-09 09:27 PM
    I refuse to get an iPhone until it can multitask.

Apps on my iPod Touch are fun to play with but I use my BB ones a whole lot more.

If I were to move on from a Blackberry, it would be with a 3G smartphone on T-Mobile. I will not go to ATT. Any iPhone I would buy would only work on EDGE so no thanks.
    06-23-09 10:22 PM
    i moved from storm, i use 3gs for work, what took me by surprise is how well it handles attachements, especially pdf files compared to bb phones, its like night and day diff.

to any IT ppl, take a look at remote desktop app on the iphone, simply amazing, that combined with the build in vpn makes it a must have phone for me.
    06-23-09 11:48 PM

its not true push trust me steve jobs had a go around with RIM over it..

your device is fetching...

keep in mind when you set up a email account on the device the email account would have to know the device or a server or anything to know what the device is..

so IE you use gmail..

gmail would have to have a "pin" type thing to send the email to it..

the catch gets in when you start using exchange. which is really more like a "sync" instead of a fetch but still not "push"

hope this helps..

I am not making things up for this topic.. When I had my iPhone I was furious to find out that it wasn't true push lol

I will say though which I will not lie about
    that the email client on the iPhone is actually pretty decent (back when I had it anyway)
    and I liked the way contacts were setup on the device..

but what I didn't like about the iPhones email was that it seperated all my email addresses into seperate boxes (which was fine) however it did not offer a place anywhere where I could see the entire message list..

I use 4 email address'

so this works well for me on a BB I didn't like having a couple hundred emails and having to go into each seperate box to read them all.
    Last edited by noaim; 06-24-09 at 03:11 AM.
    06-24-09 03:04 AM
    Wow, i guess blackberry users couldnt wait any longer.
    06-24-09 04:19 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD