Interesting bit of news this morning. One suicide - mental instability. Five suicides - cause for concern. Ten suicides - there's something rotten in the Chinese Apple factory.

Another death at China iPhone maker's plant | Reuters
    05-31-10 07:29 AM
    There's also a whole other side to this story where these workers' families get a pay off by Foxconn when they employee kills themselves.

Its a working theory that these employees are doing it now to get their families money, because theyre "worth more dead than alive," not because of another reasons.

Yes, Im sure the working conditions are far from ideal and the pay is pennies to us in other countries, but there's another side to this story too. More than just its so horrible so all these people are killing themselves.

My feeling, although maybe insensitive to some, is revoke monetary benefits for workers who commit suicide. I bet youll see these stop pretty quickly. Yes, theyre working conditions are probably horrible, but Apple/Foxconn are taking heat as if theyre responsible and forced their hand, when the workers are doing this and seeing a cash-in for their families.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 05-31-10 at 02:13 PM.
    05-31-10 12:10 PM
    There is also the fact that China has one of the highest rates of suicide of any country. But really what does this have to do with the iPhone?
    05-31-10 03:29 PM
    They weren't suicides... Steve had them killed off for leaking the new iPhone info that's been floating around the past couple of months. lol
    06-01-10 12:38 AM
    Its not an "Apple" plant. They make components for many companies. Apple is just one of many.
    06-01-10 06:25 PM
    People in China kill themselves all the time. This is really no big deal, sheez. 10 people out of thousands work there. It honestly isn't a big deal. From what I read, they were all slackers anyway. lol
    06-06-10 06:16 AM
    I think that this is a great personal tragedy for the people involved, their famils, friends and co-workers.

It is notable that Steve Jobs has stepped in and is now paying the factory workers directly.

People do commit suicide and they do so for a variety of resons. I suspect that the jobs they have and the awful conditions they work and live under were contributing causes.

For me ANY uneccessary loss of life is unnacceptable and I hope that the reasons are investigated and remedies put in place quickly.
    06-06-10 07:00 AM
    In many ways it is sad that there is so much stress put on them in the work force and if you don't do well you are shamed from everyone including your family.
    06-06-10 07:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD