03-07-15 11:03 AM
53 123
tools
    I have recently updated the previous posts to include screenshots of the latest version, as well as a link to the new support site that I have just finished creating. Feel free to give me any feedback on how to improve this site as well as the application.

Thanks!
    03-22-13 09:44 AM
    I just got a new version approved for released on BlackBerry World (changelog in post 2) - if you bought the app, please update and let me know if you run into any problems with the map. I've been trying to mitigate some bugs in the SDK relating to the MapView until they are fixed in an update, but unfortunately I'm not going to get my LE Z10 for another few weeks - so I'm working off a Dev Alpha and I can't be 100% sure that my changes are helping or hurting yet. Any feedback (and reviews!) are appreciated

Thanks!
    dietertong likes this.
    03-26-13 12:23 AM
    Hey folks - just got another nice update approved this morning. This one should allow for a quicker selection of agencies/routes/stops not on your favorite list by allowing you to filter down the lists by typing part of the name in the text box at the top of the page. This required a fairly significant rewrite of the code that pulls in the agencies/routes/stops, but also has the added benefit of making it easier to integrate other agency data sources besides the public NextBus API (which I'm still working on and will be released in a future update). The rest of the changes can be found in the changelog in the second post of this thread.

Also, I'm now rocking my new hot Ferrari Red Limited Edition Z10, so I'll be in a better position to make sure there are no bugs that might have cropped up from my using a Dev Alpha device in the past.

Oh and as usual, I welcome any feedback - and reviews are always nice as well!
    Last edited by antiemotion; 04-11-13 at 07:49 AM.
    dietertong likes this.
    04-11-13 07:16 AM
    How are things going with the WMATA integration?

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 04:14 PM
    This last update laid the framework needed when I changed how I was pulling and storing the data from NextBus. I hope to have an easy means of adding other data sources (wmata being the first) finished and out for the next update.

Thanks for checking back!

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 04:21 PM
    Do you plan on supporting the Q10?
    04-28-13 09:50 PM
    Recently purchased this and it seems very nice overall.

One thing that did bite me is a crash, and in looking at your help docs which reference the crash pertaining to the maps module, it said something about how many times maps was invoked or something.

I'm wondering if the fact that during my initial test I kept "refreshing" the arrival time (which also refreshes the bus icon on the map) in effect accelerated this "reloading of maps" causing it to crash on me.

Because when I went to test the 2nd bus stop, right at the moment where I had drilled-down and just selected the final part (the bus stop itself), it promptly crashed.
    04-28-13 10:02 PM
    Do you plan on supporting the Q10?
    Absolutely! I hope to have a compatible version out within the next week or two (depending on how long BlackBerry takes to approve the update). Also, I'm close to having the coding complete to allow for multiple data sources, (DC's WMATA data will be the first test) so I haven't yet decided if I will try to work that code in as well or not (as it would possibly delay the Q10-compatible release)...
    04-29-13 01:47 PM
    Recently purchased this and it seems very nice overall.

One thing that did bite me is a crash, and in looking at your help docs which reference the crash pertaining to the maps module, it said something about how many times maps was invoked or something.

I'm wondering if the fact that during my initial test I kept "refreshing" the arrival time (which also refreshes the bus icon on the map) in effect accelerated this "reloading of maps" causing it to crash on me.

Because when I went to test the 2nd bus stop, right at the moment where I had drilled-down and just selected the final part (the bus stop itself), it promptly crashed.
    Hmm that is possible - I haven't done much testing of that bug adding in attempts to refresh... It also could be impacted by available system memory - if you have a lot of other open applications at the time the "reloading of maps" count could be lower than I first estimated. Hopefully with 10.1 some of the mapview bugs in general will be fixed, and then that won't be a problem in general.

Glad you like the app otherwise!
    04-29-13 01:50 PM
    Oh man, if you can get the WMATA data feed, I will have to seriously consider this app.

Posted via CB10
    Good news for TBone4eva and everyone else waiting on WMATA to be supported - the latest application update just approved now includes support for agencies that pull their data out of the NextBus public API and into their own private API - WMATA being the first agency to be added! (Note that agencies still need to utilize the NextBus system, and each additional agency needs to be manually coded into the app)
    bluetroll and TBone4eva like this.
    05-13-13 05:12 PM
    Good news for TBone4eva and everyone else waiting on WMATA to be supported - the latest application update just approved now includes support for agencies that pull their data out of the NextBus public API and into their own private API - WMATA being the first agency to be added! (Note that agencies still need to utilize the NextBus system, and each additional agency needs to be manually coded into the app)

Thanks for the updates.

Do you have any idea if the Napa California "Vine" system is one of the ones that uses NextBus but in a more proprietary way? I think we touched on this before..
    05-13-13 10:38 PM
    Thanks for the updates.

Do you have any idea if the Napa California "Vine" system is one of the ones that uses NextBus but in a more proprietary way? I think we touched on this before..
    Sorry Omnitech, it looks like Vine doesn't utilize NextBus at all, and I can't find any other sort of developer API to access their data either. It unfortunately looks like until they open up their system, there wont be any way to integrate them into the app.
    05-14-13 01:42 PM
    Sorry Omnitech, it looks like Vine doesn't utilize NextBus at all, and I can't find any other sort of developer API to access their data either. It unfortunately looks like until they open up their system, there wont be any way to integrate them into the app.

Oh, darn. I figured they did. Does NextBus have a bunch of competitors? I hadn't heard of any others.
    05-14-13 02:18 PM
    Go Terps! Fear the Turtle!
    antiemotion likes this.
    05-14-13 02:51 PM
    Thanks! I just bought it. I especially like that it displays the time in an Active Frame.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 09:30 PM
    Thanks! I just bought it. I especially like that it displays the time in an Active Frame.

Posted via CB10
    Awesome! Yeah, I think the active frame functionality is very handy. After you load your stop, you don't even have to go back into the app to keep up on the next arrival time. Glad you like it!
    05-17-13 09:27 AM
    Oh, darn. I figured they did. Does NextBus have a bunch of competitors? I hadn't heard of any others.
    That's a good question actually - I haven't heard of many either. I suppose you could think of Google as a competitor as they integrate some real time bus tracking on Google Maps?
    05-17-13 09:30 AM
    Awesome! Yeah, I think the active frame functionality is very handy. After you load your stop, you don't even have to go back into the app to keep up on the next arrival time. Glad you like it!
    I have a suggestion for a future feature. In addition to filtering the list. It would cool if you could use the GPS to filter and locate the nearest bus stops to you. Then when you select the bus stop you want, the map could show where you are in relation to where the bus stop is. This would be very helpful to tourist or people who may not be very familiar with the bus system.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 06:59 AM
    I have a suggestion for a future feature. In addition to filtering the list. It would cool if you could use the GPS to filter and locate the nearest bus stops to you. Then when you select the bus stop you want, the map could show where you are in relation to where the bus stop is. This would be very helpful to tourist or people who may not be very familiar with the bus system.

I agree that would be handy, but I think it would entail a large overhead (and battery drain) on systems running that continuously, and implementing such a thing in this app would probably increase its complexity by a factor of 5x.

It would require the app developer to create and maintain a huge geographic coordinate database of every single stop on every single supported transit system, which by itself is a non-trivial matter, given that I doubt that data is freely available anywhere, he would probably have to create that database himself, and then be liable for inaccuracies. If I were in his shoes I'd be more than a bit put off by that responsibility.
    05-19-13 08:54 AM
    I agree that would be handy, but I think it would entail a large overhead (and battery drain) on systems running that continuously, and implementing such a thing in this app would probably increase its complexity by a factor of 5x.

It would require the app developer to create and maintain a huge geographic coordinate database of every single stop on every single supported transit system, which by itself is a non-trivial matter, given that I doubt that data is freely available anywhere, he would probably have to create that database himself, and then be liable for inaccuracies. If I were in his shoes I'd be more than a bit put off by that responsibility.
    Couldn't have said it better myself!

Essentially, the NextBus public API has no built in way to get the nearby stops. I would have to do essentially exactly what you said about maintaining some sort of database to aid in the stop finding process, which would need to be kept up to date and would present liability concerns as well.

That being said, that is a highly requested feature, and one that I would really like to include. Hopefully, the NextBus technology will continue to grow and they will be able to provide that functionality sometime in the future, or I might be able to eventually figure out and acceptable way to handle this.

Thanks Omnitech!
    05-19-13 10:38 AM
    That being said, that is a highly requested feature, and one that I would really like to include. Hopefully, the NextBus technology will continue to grow and they will be able to provide that functionality sometime in the future, or I might be able to eventually figure out and acceptable way to handle this.

One thought that occurred to me is to make it crowd-sourced, and make that clear when someone requests that data. That would probably help the liability thing.

What it won't help is the complexity of implementing something like that, or the fact that many stops would still be un-recorded, making the "find nearest stop" thing basically useless, or the fact that many transit stops are likely in places that do not get an adequate GPS signal, making it impossible for someone with a copy of the app (ie using an "add this location to geo database" function), or any other GPS tool to determine where they actually are located.
    05-19-13 05:50 PM
    I can definitely understand the effort involved to include that function. It is a great app as is. The suggestion just came to me and I thought maybe NextBus provides for it through the API.

Maybe NextBus will add this to the public API since they already provide this function through their website. So, the database already exists, they just need to provide developers with access. NextBus may have their own reasons for not including it.

Anyway, like I said, it is a great app as is. Thanks for taking the time to make it. When my GF gets her Z10. This will be the first app that I have her buy.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 07:20 AM
    Maybe NextBus will add this to the public API since they already provide this function through their website. So, the database already exists, they just need to provide developers with access.
    That's interesting. Would certainly suggest that it would likely be available to developers at some point. I'm trying to think of why they would NOT want to release something like that to the public. Can't think of any liability issues for them if they're already publishing the data on their website.

Perhaps it's for competitive reasons, to prevent competitors from slurping their database and then going to transit agencies with a cheaper knockoff solution.
    05-20-13 02:54 PM
    Will the app work with WMATA metro rail? I believe it's the same API as bus.
    12-05-14 10:44 PM
    While it is the same API, displaying rail information is a bit beyond the scope of this app (which is really only designed to show bus times).

I would recommend an app such as Handy Metro DC for full fledged WMATA rail system functionality.
    12-06-14 11:19 AM
53 123