Talking Clock is a tiny native headless app which works fully offline and invisibly in the background, and (using speech synthesis) speaks the current time in your selected language - hourly, half-hourly or quarterly. It uses virtually no resources or battery life and provides very rich configuration options:

** 58 languages to choose from (virtually all major languages are supported)
    ** 8 voice variants (3 male voices, 3 female voices, child, robot)
    ** Configurable speech rate, pitch, word gap, intonation
    ** 24 or 12 hour clock
    ** Customizable message format: add words in your language before the hour, after the hour and after minutes. By default the app just says the time (e.g. 11:45) but you can easily change it to say "It's 11 hours and 45 minutes AM", or "Es ist 11 Uhr 45 Minuten", or "Jest godzina 11:45", or whatever else you feel like
    ** Customizable A.M. / P.M. texts for your language
    ** Customizable hour names. If your language uses a different case than nominative, you can enter texts for each hour in the correct form. E.g. "eleventh" instead of "eleven".
    ** Choose interval: hourly, half-hourly or quarterly
    ** Exclude hours: the time will NOT be announced between the selected hours
    ** Exclude days: the time will NOT be announced on the selected days of week
    ** Choose active profiles: the time will be spoken only in the profiles you select
    ** Mute in Bedside Mode: the time will not be spoken when the device is in the Bedside Mode.

Talking Clock - headless native, highly customizable time telling app-1.png

Talking Clock - headless native, highly customizable time telling app-2.png

Talking Clock - headless native, highly customizable time telling app-3.png

Talking Clock - headless native, highly customizable time telling app-4.png

Features:

** Native, headless. Run once, configure all options, close and let it always work for you invisibly in the background.
    ** Fully OFFLINE - does not connect to the Internet at all.
    ** Tiny and lightweight - virtually zero memory, CPU or battery consumption.

Link: Talking Clock / BlackBerry World

Last edited by BurningPlatform; 03-02-18 at 07:43 AM.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    03-01-18 07:51 AM
    I will have to admit that I miss some of your BB10 apps on my Android BB devices.

What's this I hear that BBworld will be discontinuing PAID apps?

In any event, good luck.
    03-01-18 09:59 AM
    I will have to admit that I miss some of your BB10 apps on my Android BB devices.

What's this I hear that BBworld will be discontinuing PAID apps?

In any event, good luck.
    Thank you!

I've got a number of almost finished projects left, which I will probably keep releasing in the upcoming days. Hopefully someone will find them useful while it is still possible to offer them.

Indeed, BBW will switch to free apps only on April 1st, and unfortunately it is not an April Fools joke.

Anyway.... quite possibly I will start porting my apps to Android soon. I haven't yet decided, though, whether to go the "Android native" dreadful Java (which I truly dislike and actually hardly know) or stay with my favorite Qt / C++, which in the meantime got quite mature on Android. But you'll certainly see some of my apps on Google Play in a few months or so.
    FF22, brookie229 and elfabio80 like this.
    03-01-18 12:42 PM
    Java (which I truly dislike and actually hardly know)
    Perhaps you dislike Java because you hardly know it!

Posted via CB10
    03-04-18 01:37 PM
    Perhaps you dislike Java because you hardly know it!
    Maybe so... But I'm still trying to find reasons to learn it and switch to it while I already know Qt/C++ which is definitely simpler and compiles to pure binary rather than JVM byte-code, i.e. faster and smaller... I mean, I'm just not sure if there are any benefits of sacrificing a lot of time to learn Java from scratch when I can instantly start porting my apps in Qt (BB10 is also Qt-based). It's quite a serious decision to make, so I'm still analyzing all the pro's and con's...
    03-04-18 07:27 PM
    Maybe so... But I'm still trying to find reasons to learn it and switch to it while I already know Qt/C++ which is definitely simpler and compiles to pure binary rather than JVM byte-code, i.e. faster and smaller... I mean, I'm just not sure if there are any benefits of sacrificing a lot of time to learn Java from scratch when I can instantly start porting my apps in Qt (BB10 is also Qt-based). It's quite a serious decision to make, so I'm still analyzing all the pro's and con's...
    Unfortunately not being an Android developer or competent in Qt and C++, I can't give you an enlightened response.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-18 08:48 AM
    OK. Be among the last HANDFUL of developers still bothering to release new native apps for this platform. Make the effort to release a number of apps while almost everyone else went away long ago. Kindly request users to always email you first in case of any issues, in order to get prompt (usually within a few hours, often instantly) answer and easy solution to 99,9% of possible "problems". Consider making your apps free past March 31, for people to enjoy.

And for that, get a flood of idiotic, hostile one-star reviews, completely untrue, misleading and scaring away other potential customers.

jay-91494: "Clock? Brutal, doesn't work. Z30"

It does work perfectly fine, you genius, UNLESS you reject the "Run In Background" permission without which no headless app can operate, and which is clearly mentioned both in the app description and in the app itself. A short one-line email to me would have given you an instant reply with this easy solution. But no, it's so much more fun to ruin the app's rating with such review that I can't even respond to.

poison-mexico: FAKE. Unpleasant voices with accent."

Everyone has the right to consider the Russian voices "unpleasant" or not to like their accent (even if the description does inform that it is a voice synthesis and not a natural voice) but how does it make the app "FAKE" is beyond me. And how clever it is to write "FAKE" in English and the whole rest in Russian, so that majority of users will only understand that it is "fake" without being able to read why you say so (and that it actually has nothing to do with being "fake"). How nice.

And so on.

Honestly, all those mindless and hostile bad reviews have ALWAYS been this platform's most discouraging and annoying aspect. With no way to respond to them, contact the reviewer, etc. After 5 years I think that's enough. I was going to release two more apps before the end, and I won't. I was going to make my apps free then, and I won't. The idiots have won at last.
    Last edited by BurningPlatform; 03-10-18 at 02:15 PM.
    03-10-18 12:38 PM
    I've had developers with less honourable intentions delete my poor reviews warning others (how this has happened I don't know).

You should have the ability to respond to reviews or at least request the removal of the misleading ones but then BlackBerry never did make the platform favourable to developers. A check against necessary permission settings for the particular app on posting of a review could have made the whole system more relevant for both end users and puzzled developers.

All you can do is warn people and build functions to gracefully fail, informing the user they've prevented it from working by restricting it's permissions. Past that there's not a lot you can do for an *****, who probably will claim a refund for being an *****.

Sad story. Your quality apps are a loss to the platform.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-18 02:06 PM
    I've had developers with less honourable intentions delete my poor reviews warning others (how this has happened I don't know).

You should have the ability to respond to reviews or at least request the removal of the misleading ones but then BlackBerry never did make the platform favourable to developers. A check against necessary permission settings for the particular app on posting of a review could have made the whole system more relevant for both end users and puzzled developers.

All you can do is warn people and build functions to gracefully fail, informing the user they've prevented it from working by restricting it's permissions. Past that there's not a lot you can do for an *****, who probably will claim a refund for being an *****.

Sad story. Your quality apps are a loss to the platform.

Posted via CB10
    A headless app is supposed to autostart by itself (e.g. after installation or reboot) and do its job in the background. With the "Run In Background" permission disabled, it CAN'T even start, so it can't gracefully fail or do anything else - not even just say that it can't work and why.

Only the UI part of the app can check if invoking the headless service succeeded or failed (for SOME reason, as the OS doesn't specify that it's due to a missing permission and doesn't allow checking it programmatically) and react to it (e.g. by displaying a message that "POSSIBLY some required permissions are disabled preventing the headless service from starting"), but to see that message the user would need to manually open the UI part first, as otherwise there's no way to show anything to him. And then he would need to bother to read (rather than just ignore/dismiss) and understand that message, which is UNLIKELY given that all that information is already given in the app description and in the app itself (on the About/Help screen) and they NEVER bother to read it anyway.

Just like, the very same way, they never bother to read and understand all the countless requests (again, both in the app description and in the app itself) to always contact the developer first in case of any problems, which is the only way to get help and support, as responding to reviews posted on BBW is not possible. But they ALWAYS prefer to post an insulting review (that gives them nothing) rather than send a short email to the developer and get their issue sorted out within an hour. Guess how many people emailed me for support since early 2013.... less than 30. That's *ONE* person per app on average. And in some 95% of cases the reason of their problems were disabled permissions.

It's been 5 years of requesting and explaining those things ad nauseam with the utmost patience and goodwill, to no avail. People NOTORIOUSLY disable the "Microphone" permission in apps meant to record audio, the "Camera" permission in apps meant to take photos, "Location" permission in GPS apps, "Phone" permission in apps to access and control the phone, and so on. And less than half an hour later the developer reads on BBW that he is a liar, a thief, a fraud, or (in the very best case) a sh*tty coder.

Clearly, majority of BB10 users just haven't grown up to use an operating system where THE USER is in charge of CONSCIOUSLY controlling apps' permissions. They just PERMANENTLY disable them all, "for security", and then INSTANTLY rush to BBW to write their wisdoms. One would think that platforms like BB10 attract more mature or conscious users than Android or iOS, but clearly not. It's actually vice versa. Which, combined with that BlackBerry never bothered to ease it somehow, resulted in a nightmare.

Anyway, those idiots listed earlier managed to RUIN sales of that app with their reviews. Down by 95% since they posted their wisdoms. Thank you so much. Be sure that you won't see any further "FAKE" apps from me. Mission accomplished, yet another developer repelled.

--

P.S. Yes, it is possible to request removal of such reviews. But it often takes many days or even weeks for the BBW staff to react (while the review remains visible and keeps scaring away other people), and their criteria are completely unknown as it is like Russian roulette whether they eventually accept or reject the request. Once it took them three weeks to keep my removal request "On Hold", only to reject it then, even though the reviewer called me a fraud for some African village not having Google Street View coverage, as if it had anything to do with my app where Street View imagery is available and where it isn't.
    Last edited by BurningPlatform; 03-11-18 at 01:29 AM.
    falbo likes this.
    03-11-18 01:10 AM
    I have read your post and went to BlackBerry world to buy talking talk. I do not really need the app, for this reason I did not bought it at first. Do not mind the idiots, I know it is not easy but keep in mind that the idiots are more vocal and visible than the normal people. There are a lot of people that appreciate and respect your work.
    03-11-18 04:10 AM
    Hello BurningPlatform, please don't forget there are others who made it a point to write a glowing review for some of your most wonderful utilities in the past few days too ( been here since day 1 and your apps are my first posted reviews in any app store. ) Wish you the best, as the clean and seamless design you made was/is a true contribution to our shrinking but faithful community.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-18 08:23 AM
    Been using your headless torch app since it came out and was very impressed with such a good idea. Thanks for all the good work with your apps mate.

Don't let's the ba****ds get you down!

Posted via CB10
    falbo likes this.
    03-12-18 05:15 PM