Hi falcon4ever,

I have the same problem

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 06:49 PM
    Hi falcon4ever,

I encountered the same problem after deleting all Text Message and restore from backup using SMS Backup. The contact name does not show in the conversation and it does not link to the saved Contact but only bring to contact list when clicked.

Even if I created new contact for the corresponding text message, it did not stick. I also used your contact-fixer to add contact names and it shows in each individual SMS but not on top of the conversation list. Anyway to regenerate the link to saved contact?

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 06:57 PM
    Hi falcon4ever,

I encountered the same problem after deleting all Text Message and restore from backup using SMS Backup. The contact name does not show in the conversation and it does not link to the saved Contact but only bring to contact list when clicked.

Even if I created new contact for the corresponding text message, it did not stick. I also used your contact-fixer to add contact names and it shows in each individual SMS but not on top of the conversation list. Anyway to regenerate the link to saved contact?

Posted via CB10
    Hi, thanks for reporting!

Are you using a leak (.1259) as well? And what device are you using?

At this moment there is no way to force it to link to a contact, I'll bug BlackBerryDev about it though (since one version it works, then the next version it breaks etc).
    12-28-13 02:35 PM
    Hi,

Thanks for you reply.

I am upgrading to 10.2.1.1925 leak on STL100-2 Z10.

When I tried to send a new SMS text to a saved contact, it worked properly. Only the restored SMS from backup that cannot link properly to saved contact.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 10:57 PM
    Hello,

I want to transfer my long history of text messages from Symbian S60 (Nokia E51) into BlackBerry Q10, which will involve hand-crafting the backup .xml file for import. I am going write a script for that (I've already extracted all messages in plaintext .csv, so I only have to do the conversion).

1) Is there a documentation for the .xml file format used, i.e. what are the valid values for all attributes, are all attributes mandatory etc.?
    2) Do you think you could provide an .xsd file for the .xml backup (an XML schema for validation)? I could use it to verify I understand the .xml file format correctly. It can also be used to confirm backup file integrity.

Thanks!
    01-01-14 03:56 PM
    Hello,

I want to transfer my long history of text messages from Symbian S60 (Nokia E51) into BlackBerry Q10, which will involve hand-crafting the backup .xml file for import. I am going write a script for that (I've already extracted all messages in plaintext .csv, so I only have to do the conversion).

1) Is there a documentation for the .xml file format used, i.e. what are the valid values for all attributes, are all attributes mandatory etc.?
    2) Do you think you could provide an .xsd file for the .xml backup (an XML schema for validation)? I could use it to verify I understand the .xml file format correctly. It can also be used to confirm backup file integrity.

Thanks!
    Hi tadamdam,

I just did the same one month ago. I switched from an E52 to Blackberry 10 and used this app. You can have a look here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/app-ann...ml#post9653715

I exported the csv via the nokia tool, then I converted it with that python-script and added
    Code:
    contact_name="(Unknown)"

So, happy transfering
    tadamdam likes this.
    01-02-14 02:18 AM
    @tadamdam: Tingeltangelbob documented quite nicely how he migrated his text messages from Nokia to BB10. Hope his method works fine for you too. If you need any help at some point, do let me know (either on the forums or e-mail).

@Tingeltangelbob: Thnx for helping out!
    01-02-14 10:24 AM
    Hello, I backed up my sms and mms on my Q10 running 10.2 (429) and restored onto my z10 running 1925. The restore seemed to go well based on the progress screens. However, I cannot see any of the restored messages. My messages on my z10 look just like they did before the restore.

I thought maybe the restore did go properly, so I ran it again. This time it skipped all the items, presumably because the restore routine saw them somewhere on my z10. But, I can't see them on my z10.

Any ideas?
    01-21-14 04:30 PM
    Hello, I backed up my sms and mms on my Q10 running 10.2 (429) and restored onto my z10 running 1925. The restore seemed to go well based on the progress screens. However, I cannot see any of the restored messages. My messages on my z10 look just like they did before the restore.

I thought maybe the restore did go properly, so I ran it again. This time it skipped all the items, presumably because the restore routine saw them somewhere on my z10. But, I can't see them on my z10.

Any ideas?
    Hi rdifiori,

that's pretty odd, the newly imported messages arent perhaps visible in a different thread?

If the items are skipped on a second restore attempt, it most likely means that the messages are present (the importer will skip existing messages based on content, and timestamp).

Could you try this:
    - Check your backup and check the number of entries (should be at the top)
    - Create a new backup (this should contain current + old backup) and check the number of entries
    - Check if messages from the old backup are present in the newly created backup

Perhaps something did not go well during the initial restore. The workaround I can think off is exporting all your messages and then reimporting them again. Before doing so, please do the steps above first and report back if you can.
    01-22-14 07:57 AM
    Hi Falcon4ever,

any progress on the link to saved contact since the OS 10.2.1.1925 has become official now?

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 03:54 AM
    Hi Falcon4ever,

any progress on the link to saved contact since the OS 10.2.1.1925 has become official now?

Posted via CB10
    Hi Nice_Guy,

I just got the latest release on my Z10LE a few days ago. I'm currently traveling in the US so I won't be able to work on it a lot. Will hopefully start to do some testing soon.
    02-05-14 10:20 PM
    It's been fixed in the new leak 10.2.1.2141.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-14 08:47 PM
    It's been fixed in the new leak 10.2.1.2141.

Posted via CB10
    Ok, thanks for reporting! BlackBerry is driving me nuts ? How can they fix, break, fix, and break it so many times

*update*
    FWIW: Mailed the SMS guy, let's see if he replies...
    Last edited by falcon4ever; 02-16-14 at 08:39 PM.
    02-15-14 08:54 PM
    Maybe its fixed by the OTA update process. It happened the last time i tried a leak. After restoring with SMS Backup the contacs weren't linked. After the next official OTA the contacs got linked again.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 09:51 AM
    I did a restore today, and now the contacts are not linked anymore. They got linked after the update 10.2 > 10.2.1 I hope the next os update will fix this problem

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 01:25 PM
    I just got the latest release on my Z10LE a few days ago. I'm currently traveling in the US so I won't be able to work on it a lot. Will hopefully start to do some testing soon.
    During backup, the time stamps of backup files in the SD card do not correspond to the phone's time when files are written. Hope you find time to check and fix this. Using Z30 with various OS 10.2's tested.
    02-16-14 09:47 PM
    I've attached an example backup file (rename it to .xml). Basically I took the format of SMS Backup and Restore (from the Android version) to make it easier to switch between the two.

Currently the XML file contains a lot of fields that are not utilized at this moment but are just there to be compatible with the app "SMS Backup & Restore" for Android.

So you claim this will restore backups from an app called "SMS Backup & Restore" for Android.

Only one problem. There are four apps in Google Play, from four different developers, with that name. Which one are you compatible with?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sbackuprestore
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...life.smsbackup
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...SBackupRestore
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roid.smsbackup

EDIT: OK, looked on the website, looks like it's the 3rd one I listed above:

03-10-14 05:22 AM
    So you claim this will restore backups from an app called "SMS Backup & Restore" for Android.

Only one problem. There are four apps in Google Play, from four different developers, with that name. Which one are you compatible with?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sbackuprestore
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...life.smsbackup
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roid.smsbackup

EDIT: OK, looked on the website, looks like it's the 3rd one I listed above:

Hey Omnitech,

yep as mentioned on the website it is the 3rd one. Perhaps I should put a link in the app. The issue is that in the BlackBerry World description I wasn't allowed to mention it for some weird reason (Or anything that says Android).
    03-10-14 09:14 AM
    I don't have a BlackBerry 10. I need a SMS Backup for older BlackBerry devices, like a Storm. What's the best, free or inexpensive program for that? Previously recommended SMS Backups from Mobilearchiving does not seem to exist anymore.
    03-11-14 01:01 PM
    I don't have a BlackBerry 10. I need a SMS Backup for an older BlackBerry, like a Storm. Will your program work for that? If not, what is the best, free or inexpensive program for that? Previously recommended SMS Backups by Mobilearchiving seems to no longer exist.
    03-11-14 01:08 PM
    I don't have a BlackBerry 10. I need a SMS Backup for an older BlackBerry, like a Storm. Will your program work for that? If not, what is the best, free or inexpensive program for that? Previously recommended SMS Backups by Mobilearchiving seems to no longer exist.
    My application was designed for BlackBerry OS 10 and only works on the latest devices. As I don't own any older BlackBerry phones, I'm not sure what alternatives exist? A quick search on AppWorld gave me this: SMS Backup - Automatically keeps backup of text messages on Device as well as Email - BlackBerry World
    The reviews seem positive...
    03-11-14 01:18 PM
    Selamat siang Indonesia!

To celebrate the BlackBerry Z3 release, SMS Backup is now a free download for Indonesian Z3 users until May 29th [1]! For the rest of the world, please enjoy a 50% discount until the end of the month!

[1] Note: This promo is in collaboration with BlackBerry. It requires you to have a Z3 and an Indonesian SIM card (from any provider).
    05-17-14 10:48 AM
    Hi, does anyone know a way to backup SMS from Q10 to Bold 9900. My Q10 microphone has stopped working and needs to go to repair so I have gone back to my Bold 9900. I want to save the texts I received from my mum who recently passed. I think SMS backup is only bb10 compatible. I wrote to them and did not receive a reply. Any help on this much appreciated for obvious reasons. Thanks
    05-17-14 08:39 PM
    Hi, does anyone know a way to backup SMS from Q10 to Bold 9900. My Q10 microphone has stopped working and needs to go to repair so I have gone back to my Bold 9900. I want to save the texts I received from my mum who recently passed. I think SMS backup is only bb10 compatible. I wrote to them and did not receive a reply. Any help on this much appreciated for obvious reasons. Thanks

They will reply to you, they are pretty diligent about that.

Since SMS Backup saves to universally-recognized data formats (XML or CSV), there should be a way to import that onto the 9900, though in a quick scan of BlackBerry World I was not able to find one for SMS.

There are some apps which specifically tout cross-platform migration functionality, but I'm not seeing any that include both the export and import sides for different platforms for SMS.

If you are just archiving the data and don't need it live on the phone, you can open the XML file that SMS Backup creates in a web browser, or the CSV file in Excel, and view and/or print it from there if you like.
    falcon4ever likes this.
    05-18-14 09:57 PM
    Are you Clifford? If so, I just replied to your e-mail.

While I normally wouldn't mind looking into solutions, I do not own any older BlackBerry devices for development and testing. The only solution I can think of is that finding a reliable backup solution for your Bold 9900. As Omnitech mentioned, the data formats that I'm using should be universal. Which means it might just be a matter of shaping the data in Excel to make it compatible with the apps on your Bold 9900
    05-19-14 08:58 AM
200 ... 5678