04-25-18 09:11 PM
202 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Hi all!

I just released a small maintenance update:

Changelog for 1.1.3 - November 25, 2013

Changes:
    - Moved the Delete button to the Action Menu (required for BFB submission)
    - App will now check for all control characters on export and fix them before writing the backup file
    - Fixed error reporting for invalid XML files (correct line numbers)
    In the past people have reported 'broken' xml files which were caused by control characters as 'sub' and 'dc1'. For some reason, automated messages (like from your telco, banks, subscriptions) may use them. Since these characters are invalid in a xml structure, the xml parser would not be able to read the entire file (do note that on export everything was exported so there was no data loss).

The new fix will now check the body and address field for these control characters and remove them before writing the XML file.
    Last edited by falcon4ever; 11-25-13 at 07:57 AM.
    11-25-13 07:42 AM
    Hi falcon4ever,

I'm switching from Nokia to blackberry and wanted to import my messages. I've already build an xml-file, but I can't import my messages.

yours exported xml-file looks like:
    while mine looks like this:
    Code:

So I don't have the part with
    Code:
    locked="0" date_sent="null" readable_date="" 
    contact_name=""
    Do I need these informations, because it would be big work to add all the contact_names since I have many messages I want to import

Greetings
    Last edited by Tingeltangelbob; 12-15-13 at 05:43 PM.
    11-29-13 03:18 AM
    Hi Tingeltangelbob,

Did you use a custom script to create the backup file?

While there are a lot of tags for each SMS entry, many of them are just place holders to be compatible with SMS Backup & Restore for Android. As I didn't created the format but wanted to be compatible with it, I just filled it with bogus data.

SMS Backup for BlackBerry actually only uses the following tags:
    • type
      (1=inbound, 2=outgoing)
    • contact_name
      (name of your contact)
    • address
      (phone number)
    • date
      (unix timestamp)
    • body
      (actual message)

If it is too much work to put in the "contact_name" tag with the correct values, there is an alternative option you can try. The contact_name was used for inserting the name into the text message database in the past (10.0/10.1) but I think since 10.2, it will link automatically to your contacts and ignore this value actually.

I would suggest trying the following:

Your current entry looks like this:
    Code:
    <sms protocol="0" address="+123456" date="1273089442000" type="1" subject="null" body="hello again" toa="null" sc_toa="null" service_center="null" read="1" status="-1" />
    If you use an advanced editor (e.g. Notepad++ on windows) that supports "Find and replace", try to do a search like this:
    Code:
    status="-1"
    and replace it with
    Code:
    status="-1" contact_name="(Unknown)"
    i.e.
    Code:
    <sms protocol="0" address="+123456" date="1273089442000" type="1" subject="null" body="hello again" toa="null" sc_toa="null" service_center="null" read="1" status="-1" contact_name="(Unknown)" />
    Now all your entries should have an additional contact_name tag with "(Unknown)" in it. When you try to import it now, the application will recognize this tag and will insert the phone number into the contact_name field.

Hope that helps, if not, contact me again or e-mail me and we can see if we can get something custom working for you.
    11-29-13 09:53 AM
    Continuing to love this app. Kudos to the dev for ongoing app updates
    11-29-13 11:22 AM
    Thanks for your answer, I'm not at my PC this weekend, so I will try your advice on Monday and will write if everything went fine

Posted via CB10
    11-29-13 11:42 AM
    Continuing to love this app. Kudos to the dev for ongoing app updates
    Thanks for your support!
    Hoping to add even more features in the next few months.

Thanks for your answer, I'm not at my PC this weekend, so I will try your advice on Monday and will write if everything went fine

Posted via CB10
    Sounds good!
    11-30-13 08:56 AM
    THANK YOU!

After updating to a leaked version of firmware for my Z30, I was unable to delete SMS messages. I had over 5000 messages which would not delete - and this was quite frustrating.

With your app, I backed up all the messages (just in case) and then deleted all message threads successfully. Now my device is running smooth and fast again.

Well done - a very handy app Thanks!
    12-02-13 10:56 PM
    THANK YOU!

After updating to a leaked version of firmware for my Z30, I was unable to delete SMS messages. I had over 5000 messages which would not delete - and this was quite frustrating.

With your app, I backed up all the messages (just in case) and then deleted all message threads successfully. Now my device is running smooth and fast again.

Well done - a very handy app Thanks!
    Glad to hear you've managed to safely restore your text messages! Thanks for your support and trust!

I am also proud to inform you that we have just released a minor update and are now officially approved by BlackBerry as a Built for BlackBerry app .
    The update only has some minor UI changes to comply with the UI/UX standards set by BlackBerry.

Changelog for 1.1.4 - December 2, 2013

Changes:
    - Minor UI/UX changes
    - Built for BlackBerry!
    But... just because the app is approved doesn't mean I'm done with the app. I'm hoping to add more features (automatic backups for 10.2.1?) to make this the best and easiest backup app on BlackBerry 10.
    moosbb likes this.
    12-03-13 06:12 PM
    Hi

today I managed it to try your advice. I was able to import my messages with your script (which was most important for me), but my mobile didn't connect the phone-numbers to the Contact names. I think I will manually add the contact-name for the people which are important for me.
    If the linking is depending on the blackberry version: I have:
    Softwareversion: 10.2.0.429
    OS-Version: 10.2.0.1803

--
    For the notes, if someone else wants to change from old Nokia to Blackberry, you can hava a look here:

Migrating SMSes from Nokia to Android | Michael Gorven - cocooncrash

but as mentioned before, you have to add
    Code:
    contact_name="(Unknown)"
    Last edited by Tingeltangelbob; 12-05-13 at 05:38 AM.
    12-04-13 03:44 AM
    Hi

today I managed it to try your advice. I was able to import my messages with your script (which was most important for me), but my mobile didn't connect the phone-numbers to the Contact names. I think I will manually add the contact-name for the people which are important for me.
    If the linking is depending on the blackberry version: I have:
    Softwareversion: 10.2.0.429
    OS-Version: 10.2.0.1803

--
    For the notes, if someone else wants to chance from old Nokia to Blackberry, you can hava a look here:

Migrating SMSes from Nokia to Android | Michael Gorven - cocooncrash

but as mentioned before, you have to add
    Code:
    contact_name="(Unknown)"
    Hi Tingeltangelbob,

I'm sorry to hear that it didn't full worked out for you. Are you able to access the contact list and get hold of the phonenumbers and names?

I've written a small tool that you could give a try if you want. It only works on windows:
    1. Take your backup file you patched (the one where you added contact_name="(Unknown)")
    2. Download this zip file https://epicwindmill.com/tools/contact-fixer.zip
    3. Unzip it to a temp folder
    4. Delete sms-old.xml in that folder and rename your backup file to sms-old.xml
    5. Open up contacts.txt in a text editor
    6. Here you should place all contacts you want to have replaced. You will need to add the phonenumber (make sure it matches the format of the backup file), use the comma as separator and then the name of the person. One line per contact.
    7. Run contact-fixer.exe
    8. The result should be written to sms-new.xml
    9. Check the new file

Next you could try to import it again (Use the delete all text message option of the app and then import the new backup file).

If you have received new text messages since your import then you could try to do this:
    1. Export the backup
    2. Rename this file to sms-old.xml and then follow the steps above (and using this file in step 4).
    12-04-13 02:43 PM
    thanks for your fast reply. I couldnt use your tool because of a missing QtCore4.dll but that was not so important because I could use the contacts.txt in a small script.
    so now everything is fine and I have my conversations on my mobile

thanks for your tool
    12-05-13 05:43 AM
    thanks for your fast reply. I couldnt use your tool because of a missing QtCore4.dll but that was not so important because I could use the contacts.txt in a small script.
    so now everything is fine and I have my conversations on my mobile

thanks for your tool
    Ah my bad, yes I compiled the tool using Qt but since Qt is installed system wide here, I didn't noticed the dependency.
    Anyway, if you need it in the future, you could download it from here: QtCore4.dll (original zip is updated as well)
    Last edited by falcon4ever; 12-05-13 at 01:07 PM.
    12-05-13 09:39 AM
    Hi,
    after sending a SMS to a contact, a conversation is started where the name of the receiver is put beside his contact image at the top of this conversation. By clicking this name you are able to directly open the contact-information. This is standard out-of-the-box behaviour (Z10, 10.2.0.429). After using "SMS Backup" (backup, erase all, restore), the picture and the functionality of the link is gone. There seems to be no way to regenerate the picture within the conversation-view and the link just points to contacts-app instead of the specific contact. This doesn't give much confidence in a flawless integration of the app into the system. Any hints/ideas?
    12-08-13 03:53 PM
    Hi,
    after sending a SMS to a contact, a conversation is started where the name of the receiver is put beside his contact image at the top of this conversation. By clicking this name you are able to directly open the contact-information. This is standard out-of-the-box behaviour (Z10, 10.2.0.429). After using "SMS Backup" (backup, erase all, restore), the picture and the functionality of the link is gone. There seems to be no way to regenerate the picture within the conversation-view and the link just points to contacts-app instead of the specific contact. This doesn't give much confidence in a flawless integration of the app into the system. Any hints/ideas?
    Hi aktetasch,

the 'linking' part of the contacts has been a bit arbitrary on BB10. In previous versions of BlackBerry they have seem to fix/break it quite often in the Text Message app and I'm not quite sure why that is happening.

When you're restoring your messages, the app fills out your information (phone number and name) which usually causes it to link automatically. The app itself does no linking as there is no API for it. I believe that any linking that occurs is invoked by the OS/Text Messages app itself.
    12-09-13 06:59 AM
    Hi falcon4ever,
    you can confirm this behavior? Is there some way to overcome the effect (let the system rebuild the links by any action, do the recover before or after reset, sending a sms before or after import, etc.)? Is there a chance that the problem will disappear by wiping the phone and begin from scratch?
    12-09-13 07:19 AM
    Hi falcon4ever,
    you can confirm this behavior? Is there some way to overcome the effect (let the system rebuild the links by any action, do the recover before or after reset, sending a sms before or after import, etc.)? Is there a chance that the problem will disappear by wiping the phone and begin from scratch?
    I'm running 10.2.0.429 as well on my Z10 and yea seems to behave the same as on your device (I just synced my Google Contacts, then did a clean import of the text messages). Tapping the head just takes you to the contact list unfortunately. It is a bit annoying though as I believe that before I upgraded manually to 10.2.0.429 it was working at some point. I might have to ask the BlackBerry Dev team and see if they got any ideas about it.
    12-09-13 07:42 AM
    That would be great. It is not only the link but also the contact image which is missing. Keep us updated.
    12-09-13 07:51 AM
    That would be great. It is not only the link but also the contact image which is missing. Keep us updated.
    You're right, the picture is missing too. Will keep you guys posted about it.

Thanks for your feedback!
    12-09-13 08:02 AM
    I don't know if this is unique to Opera but whenever you guys use the "code" tag, it doesn't wrap and it messes up the page rendering by widening the page width beyond the size of my monitor so I have to scroll back and forth to read each post. :-|
    mulo_g likes this.
    12-15-13 04:22 PM
    I don't know if this is unique to Opera but whenever you guys use the "code" tag, it doesn't wrap and it messes up the page rendering by widening the page width beyond the size of my monitor so I have to scroll back and forth to read each post. :-|
    Yea happens on all browsers I guess (just tried it on Firefox and Chrome) ... Feels like I'm using a type writer ...)

So... dunno if a moderator wants to edit Tingeltangelbob's post (i.e. put in a linebreak), or it should be ok in a few posts when we will be at a new page
    12-15-13 04:51 PM
    Hi Kapunka,

SMS Backup stores and reads the data in UTF8 format. I just tested it out and it seems to work fine for Hebrew (I copied and paste the text from some website so hope it makes sense...)
    Hello,
    I'm Vietnamese. So could you test this app for me? I'm not sure that my contact and sms use utf8 format or unicode format.
    Many thanks!
    P/s: To ensure about that, I think you can use vietnamese keyboard in Language and Input setting, then create some contacts, text messages. Or I text one example for you. You can copy and paste, after that back up, restore by your app to check.
    SMS:
    Th? n?m ngy 19 thng 12 n?m 2013. Ki?m tra ??nh d?ng ti?ng vi?t cho SMS Backup.
    Best & Regards!

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 11:34 PM
    Hello,
    I'm Vietnamese. So could you test this app for me? I'm not sure that my contact and sms use utf8 format or unicode format.
    Many thanks!
    P/s: To ensure about that, I think you can use vietnamese keyboard in Language and Input setting, then create some contacts, text messages. Or I text one example for you. You can copy and paste, after that back up, restore by your app to check.
    SMS:
    Th? n?m ng�y 19 th�ng 12 n?m 2013. Ki?m tra ??nh d?ng ti?ng vi?t cho SMS Backup.
    Best & Regards!

Posted via CB10
    Hi steppevert,

I just created a new backup file and copied some sentences from: Vietnamese phrasebook - Wikitravel
    (The examples you posted don't show up properly here on the forums so I couldn't use them).

As you can see in the screenshot, it looks all fine to me?

- Falc.
    Attached Thumbnails SMS Backup - Backup and Restore Text Messages-img_00000043.png  
    12-19-13 08:30 AM
    Hi steppevert,

I just created a new backup file and copied some sentences from: Vietnamese phrasebook - Wikitravel
    (The examples you posted don't show up properly here on the forums so I couldn't use them).

As you can see in the screenshot, it looks all fine to me?

- Falc.
    Dear falcon4ever,
    Thank for your response!
    I see that it is really great . I'll try it.
    Best & Regards!

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 11:49 AM
    I have been using SMS Backup to backup my Text files but had not tried to do a restore until today. I upgraded from the 10.2.1.1055 Leak to the 10.2.1.1259 leak on my Z10 and didn't want to do a full restore so I used SMS Backup to backup and restore my SMS files. I may have been under a mistaken impression but I though that both the SMS and MMS files were being backed up. When I did the restore, only the SMS files were restored and I don't have any of the MMS files.

Following is the procedure I used:

1) Updated the SMS Backup application to the latest version via Blackberry World.
    2) Performed a standard backup and also a backup with a ZIP file
    3) Moved the ZIP File to my laptop computer
    4) Did a security wipe and upgraded the BlackBerry Z10 to the 10.2/1.1259 Leak
    5) Intalled SMS Backup from BlackBerry World
    6) Moved the Zip file from my windows computer to the Documents/SMS directory on my Z10
    7) Ran SMS Backup and pointed it to the zip file on the Z10.

Everything seemed to run just fine with the restore and it processed all 2400+ text messages from the backup but it gave me a message that it skipped 800+ messages. I assume those were the MMS messages. What do I need to do to get the MMS messages restored as well?
    12-22-13 08:45 PM
    I have been using SMS Backup to backup my Text files but had not tried to do a restore until today. I upgraded from the 10.2.1.1055 Leak to the 10.2.1.1259 leak on my Z10 and didn't want to do a full restore so I used SMS Backup to backup and restore my SMS files. I may have been under a mistaken impression but I though that both the SMS and MMS files were being backed up. When I did the restore, only the SMS files were restored and I don't have any of the MMS files.

Following is the procedure I used:

1) Updated the SMS Backup application to the latest version via Blackberry World.
    2) Performed a standard backup and also a backup with a ZIP file
    3) Moved the ZIP File to my laptop computer
    4) Did a security wipe and upgraded the BlackBerry Z10 to the 10.2/1.1259 Leak
    5) Intalled SMS Backup from BlackBerry World
    6) Moved the Zip file from my windows computer to the Documents/SMS directory on my Z10
    7) Ran SMS Backup and pointed it to the zip file on the Z10.

Everything seemed to run just fine with the restore and it processed all 2400+ text messages from the backup but it gave me a message that it skipped 800+ messages. I assume those were the MMS messages. What do I need to do to get the MMS messages restored as well?
    Hi SLYDoggie,

the procedure you've followed seem to be ok.

Did you enabled all checkboxes on backup? If so, could you unzip the zip file on your computer and see what files and folders are in there? Is there an XML file and a folder with the same name as the backup?

When restoring the text messages, I assume that no (new) text messages were present on the device?
    12-23-13 01:28 PM
202 ... 45678 ...