04-29-16 07:48 PM
198 ... 34567 ...
tools
    OK so now I had a look at the exported xml from the messages that are properly linked and the messages that are not linked and there is no difference. But I can also be information missing in the export process because if I were to delete the properly linked conversation and import those back all the messages then the linked and unlike conversion will become one big unlicked conversation. So I think here lies the problem. Maybe there are api calls that are missing or are needed for 10.1 and up os?

Posted via CB10 from my Q10. WOOT
    09-26-13 12:49 PM
    No I do not have contacts on my sim. I went ahead and exported the my SMSs with the ones that i had sent from Q10. And then I deleted all conversations from phone and then made sure my contacts were clean with no +1 and duplicate numbers. I proceeded to reimport the SMSs and now they are all nicely threaded, no duplicate conversations. I did edit the xml to remove the numbers with +1. But same problem, the SMSs are not linked to contacts. If i go from my contact and send a message, all previous messages appear and then you see the persons pic and everything. But if I click on the pic, it brings me to the contact and then on the activity it doesn't show that I sent the sms. But if I go back to the hub or and then come back to the message, they become unlinked again. Or if within contacts I do back back and then come back to that contact and press text the number, the conversation thread is gone. If I do message, the thread comes back.

So either there is something missing in the importing process like flags or maybe it is because I have a lot of messages and the q10 is rebuilding a database or it is some other bug.

Edit: Yup there is something definitely wrong. Because if I keep the contact tile open after sending the sms and having all the previous ones appear, when I go select the Text tile and go to that same conversation the contact does not appear. So there are two instances of conversations... I don't know this is beyond me without QNX Momentics... is it what they use for debugging?

There are some known issues with Blackberry 10 and contacts in general, though I don't know if that is specifically what is causing you a headache here.

I seem to recall some previous discussion about this sort of issue on this thread - have you reviewed all the prior posts?

How many SMS are you trying to restore?
    09-26-13 02:55 PM
    I did some more testing today. It feels like I am a dev doing some massive testing on this. Anyways here goes. I wiped my phone. After the wipe I received messages from one person and in the hub it would put his number in +1XXXYYYZZZZ. So I decided to import that persons contact card from my android phone and it linked properly. So I deleted the contact to only have the number in the hub. I then decided to try to import a small subset of messages from that person and also edited the xml to only numbers. Like this:

Example: <sms protocol="0" address="+1XXXYYYZZZZ" date="1380228881662" type="1" subject="null" body="Bla Bla Bla" toa="null" sc_toa="null" service_center="null" read="1" status="-1" locked="0" date_sent="null" readable_date="Sep 26, 2013 4:54:41 PM" contact_name="Joe Blow"/>

to

<sms protocol="0" address="+1XXXYYYZZZZ" date="1380228881662" type="1" subject="null" body="Bla Bla Bla" toa="null" sc_toa="null" service_center="null" read="1" status="-1" locked="0" date_sent="null" readable_date="Sep 26, 2013 4:54:41 PM" contact_name="+1XXXYYYZZZZ"/>

Maybe this would help the os recognize them and link them since the bearbones os stores the number in the hub and creates the conversation of that.

So I proceed to import that small list of sms and then I see 2 conversations:

+1XXXYYYZZZZ
    +1XXXYYYZZZZ (mobile)

And if i reimport the contact only one of the threads, the original conversation one, links. The other stays +1XXXYYYZZZZ (mobile).

So there is clearly a problem with the app and or api part. All what I have descried previously still holds. So the problem is not with the contacts but the OS creating 2 instances of conversations for the same number and there has to be an identifier missing when importing for the os not to link them. I don't think I can do anymore testing than that.
    Last edited by vipernig; 09-26-13 at 07:02 PM.
    09-26-13 06:43 PM
    There are some fundamental problems with the BB10 contacts database.

First problem is that there doesn't seem to be any hard limit on the number of fields of any particular type. You can just keep adding more fields to a record virtually indefinitely, from what I can tell from the limited tests I've done.

And while that sounds handy in some ways, you cannot expect to create any sort of stable or predictable syncing or sharing mechanism when you basically have no concrete database format! No other product or database is going to support 10 phone number fields or 4 home and 4 work addresses in a single contact record, yet I have created such records in BB10.

How do you sync that with some other product or service, especially if Link no longer has detailed field mapping capabilities for ie syncing with Outlook, like the old desktop syncing tool had? I'm guessing what probably happens is that you just randomly lose data all the time when trying to sync or export.

Even more comically, there appears to be no defined field order in the contact record, which means if you create three phone number records of a particular type in a particular record, you might find the 3rd instance you created sorting to the 1st (top) slot in the contact record view after you save the record!

SMH. I dont know who designed that system but it must have been someone who never built a sharable contact database before, ever.

All of which is a very long-winded way of saying that some of these issues may be out of SMS Backup's control. :-|
    falcon4ever likes this.
    09-28-13 03:19 AM
    Yep when he gave people the option to set their own filename and path, he removed the auto-generated filename, which was handy.

Unlike most auto-generated filenames, it used a similiar kind of datestamp convention that I do when I name files, so it was one of the FEW auto-filename features I actually didn't feel the need to constantly override.
    Hi,

sorry for the long response time. Just got back from a long vacation .

Yea about the auto-generated filenames, sorry about that guys I indeed removed it after I replaced that part with the FilePicker from the Native SDK.

I couldn't find a way to set the filename but maybe I overlooked something in the docs. I'll try to put it back in if I can.
    10-06-13 11:39 AM
    Any future functionality to combine backup files? I have my original backup file, but the contacts weren't linking. So I deleted everything and am starting "fresh."

When the linking gets fixed, I'm wondering if I can combine the new backup with the original backup.
    Yea I'm not sure about that. On earlier versions it seems to create new threads if you import new messages with the latest one (at least on my phone) it seems to append them to the correct threads. I'm a bit confused about this and it might be more related to the OS version that I'm running on my Z10 rather than the app itself.
    10-06-13 11:41 AM
    Hi,

is there any way to transfer from an iPhone?

Thanks.
    Fabio.
    Hi Fabio,

I've had a few customers telling me that they managed to import it using this:
    iPhone SMS to Android Converter

I don't have an iPhone so I can't exactly test it but I'd say give it a shot and let us know if it works.

*edit*
    You might need to add in the "contact_name" field or it might skip the entry. If you know the name, just put it in the tag, if not, just put in a copy of the "address" field content.

For the adventurous people:
    A customer of mine created this php script to solve it:

Kudos to Fabio
    Code:
    <?php

$handle = @fopen("iphone_sms.xml", "r");
    if ($handle) {
        while (($buffer = fgets($handle, 4096)) !== false) {
        	$lungh =strlen($buffer); 
            if ($start = strpos($buffer, "address=")) {
            	$middle = strpos($buffer, "\"", $start);
            	$end = strpos($buffer, "\"", $middle + 1);
            	echo substr ($buffer,0,$end+1);
            	echo " contact_name=";
            	echo substr ($buffer,$middle,$end-$middle+1);
            	echo substr ($buffer,$end+1,$lungh-$middle);        	        	
    	    }
    	    else {
    	    	echo $buffer;
    	    }
        }
        fclose($handle);
    }

?>
    Last edited by falcon4ever; 10-06-13 at 11:54 AM.
    10-06-13 11:42 AM
    There are some fundamental problems with the BB10 contacts database.

First problem is that there doesn't seem to be any hard limit on the number of fields of any particular type. You can just keep adding more fields to a record virtually indefinitely, from what I can tell from the limited tests I've done.

And while that sounds handy in some ways, you cannot expect to create any sort of stable or predictable syncing or sharing mechanism when you basically have no concrete database format! No other product or database is going to support 10 phone number fields or 4 home and 4 work addresses in a single contact record, yet I have created such records in BB10.

How do you sync that with some other product or service, especially if Link no longer has detailed field mapping capabilities for ie syncing with Outlook, like the old desktop syncing tool had? I'm guessing what probably happens is that you just randomly lose data all the time when trying to sync or export.

Even more comically, there appears to be no defined field order in the contact record, which means if you create three phone number records of a particular type in a particular record, you might find the 3rd instance you created sorting to the 1st (top) slot in the contact record view after you save the record!

SMH. I dont know who designed that system but it must have been someone who never built a sharable contact database before, ever.

All of which is a very long-winded way of saying that some of these issues may be out of SMS Backup's control. :-|
    Yea the contact database is certainly a bit weird on BB10. In most cases the address is used to build conversations and link to contacts. "contact_name" is just being set for the threaded view but I suspect that the OS isn't really using it. I mean, in the text messages overview you most likely see these "(mobile)" tags. I am not setting those in the app but for some reason the OS feels the need to display them (I am guessing based on the number in the "address" field).
    10-06-13 11:47 AM
    Still no news on the "canot restore MMS" bug front?
    I'm sorry about the delay of this.

It's not a bug, it is just a feature that is not implemented yet. I just put the export function in there because a lot of people wanted it (and it was trivial to implement it). The other way around however seems to be a trickier task. The BB10 API docs are unfortunately not that helpful in that regard so to get it working requires a bit of trial and error (hence the slow progress).

I really hope to have it implemented in the next version and believe that the app will then be almost feature complete. (Except for some scheduler to make automatic backups... but that requires 10.2 and would break 10.1 / 10.0.10 / 10.0.9 support ... )

Thank you for your support and patience
    Last edited by falcon4ever; 10-06-13 at 12:03 PM.
    10-06-13 11:51 AM
    Yea the contact database is certainly a bit weird on BB10. In most cases the address is used to build conversations and link to contacts. "contact_name" is just being set for the threaded view but I suspect that the OS isn't really using it. I mean, in the text messages overview you most likely see these "(mobile)" tags. I am not setting those in the app but for some reason the OS feels the need to display them (I am guessing based on the number in the "address" field).
    Hi Falcon good to see you back. Does that mean you can reproduce the "bug" and will therefore be able to solve the 2 conversation thread problem? I think the os would set mobile by default because it doesn't find the contact and since it is an sms it assumes from the number format that it is a mobile number. Which would mean that during the importing process the thread never gets linked and creates another conversation. You should be able to see all that with Momentics.
    10-07-13 02:37 PM
    Hi Falcon good to see you back. Does that mean you can reproduce the "bug" and will therefore be able to solve the 2 conversation thread problem? I think the os would set mobile by default because it doesn't find the contact and since it is an sms it assumes from the number format that it is a mobile number. Which would mean that during the importing process the thread never gets linked and creates another conversation. You should be able to see all that with Momentics.
    Hi vipernig,

Hmm, I'm not sure why it seems to mess up on your phone. What phone type and OS version (leak or stock?) are you running? Perhaps I can try to reproduce it on my two testing devices (Got a DAC+Z10). I do have to mention that SMS Backup tries to fix phone entries on export (so 123-4567-3123 will become 12345673123)

It would be helpful if you could send me a test data set that I can analyze. Before doing so, you may want to anonymize your data (You don't have to, just giving you the option). I've written a small tool for this (it just removes the body part and replaces it with a default message. phone numbers will be left untouched as I need those to reconstruct the conversations):

1. Download: XMLScrambler.jar
    2. Assuming you have Java installed properly, the way how this works is that you run it like this (from the commandline, original file, new file):
      C:\temp\sms-anonymizer>java -jar XMLScrambler.jar "mybackup.xml" "mybackup-clean.xml"
    3. Send the file "mybackup-clean.xml" to support@epicwindmill.com

FYI: Momentics doesn't really help here as the debug info that I can get is pretty useless and it certainly doesnt allow me to tap into the contact db or messages db.
    10-08-13 02:44 PM
    Just a small note regarding backups of other important things from our beloved smartphones:
    https://twitter.com/LaurenceMuller/s...11572397371392

Basically BBM and Call Log backups are a no go for now...
    10-16-13 02:39 PM
    Just a small note regarding backups of other important things from our beloved smartphones:
    https://twitter.com/LaurenceMuller/s...11572397371392

Basically BBM and Call Log backups are a no go for now...

Kind of pathetic, really.

This is like Verizon support yesterday telling me that they could not provide me even with the general location of the last tower a lost Blackberry had connected to - so I can try to narrow down whether it was lost near my house or when I was visiting out of town - because of "Federal Privacy Laws".... This after giving them chapter/verse proof that I am indeed the owner of the account and of the device in question. (And as they were continuously hawking a $5.00/month service in my ear while I sat on hold for 15 minutes - to "track your phone", just like the 3rd party apps I can install that will tell me exactly where the device is, all day long, minute by minute.)

10-17-13 07:32 AM
    Still no success opening XML files. I even tried opening in an editor (FRONTPAGE) but still cannot view the XML backups with any semblance of understanding. So for me, the app has been a disappointment.

Opera 12.16.

What is interesting is I just tried IE9 (both 32 and 64 bit) on Win7 and it works fine. So does Firefox 17 stable (ie "ESR" version).

Make sure you are opening the XML files and not the folders. The default folder naming of the MMS data is confusing, they might appear to have an XML extension depending on how you are viewing them, and the MMS folders have almost the same name as the SMS XML data. I made that mistake myself when I tried opening it with Firefox the first time.
    10-20-13 01:44 AM
    The backup format just follows the normal XML standards. Opening it with Frontpage might/might not work as I am not sure if that app actually knows how to handle XML files properly.

I have made a short video of how you can view the XML content in Notepad++ or in a human readable way in Internet Explorer or Firefox (watch in HD/fullscreen).
    10-20-13 08:55 AM
    Thanks for the Youtube tutorial ... Unfortunately, I still only get a blank screen using INTERNET EXPLORER 10.

UPDATE: PROBLEM SOLVED !!!!!! I looked at the XML code and realized that I did not have the stylesheet in the same folder as the XML file. Now that I have the SMS.XSL in the same folder as the XML, all is good !!! Such a simple mistake on my part ...
    falcon4ever likes this.
    10-20-13 09:57 PM
    Thanks for the Youtube tutorial ... Unfortunately, I still only get a blank screen using INTERNET EXPLORER 10.

UPDATE: PROBLEM SOLVED !!!!!! I looked at the XML code and realized that I did not have the stylesheet in the same folder as the XML file. Now that I have the SMS.XSL in the same folder as the XML, all is good !!! Such a simple mistake on my part ...
    Great to hear that it is working now
    10-21-13 05:18 AM
    Hey all,

sorry for the delay but just want to let you all know that I have finished the MMS (import) support and rewrote the user interface to make it a bit more user friendly and fool proof. You should be able to import your exciting backups after adding a few support files (I'll release a tool for this, basically all folders need to have a filetype.txt in there with the mime type).

In addition to that I've also added a check on launch to see if all required permissions are enabled. I guess that in some cases the permission screen doesn't pop up on first launch or people disable all permissions and expect the app to work some how... (If it detects that the required permissions aren't enabled, it will now forward you to the permission settings)

If everything goes well, I should have a build ready before the end of the week to submit to BlackBerry AppWorld.

Edit
    - Submitted the update 11/06/2013. So hopefully it get's approved soon.

Changelog for 1.1.0
    - Rewrote the UI from scratch for a more user friendly design
    - Added MMS support (import/export)
    - Added option to verify created backup file
    - Added option to Zip & E-mail the backup file
    - Added manual
    Screenshots in first post.
    Last edited by falcon4ever; 11-08-13 at 08:07 AM.
    QtHelex and Omnitech like this.
    11-04-13 06:17 PM
    This is just a message for people who want to prepare for the new release (v1.1.0) that should be in the AppWorld soon.

Information
    For those who still have their MMS backups they would like to import (hopefully you've backed up both the xml as the mms folder), please read the following as you should be able to import them onto your BlackBerry 10 device soon.

Before you can import your backup, you will need to run this tool mms-fixer. It will scan your mms files and add an additional file (filetype.txt) to the folders containing the exported attachment. It basically just describes the filetype.

You can download it from here: mms-fixer.zip

Instructions (Windows only)
    Assuming you have a backup called "Today" and "Yesterday", the file and folder structure should look a bit like:
    • SMSBackup\ (Root folder)
    • SMSBackup\Today.xml (SMS File)
    • SMSBackup\Today.xml.mms\ (MMS media files)
    • SMSBackup\Yesterday.xml (SMS File)
    • SMSBackup\Yesterday.xml.mms\ (MMS media files)

Fixing
    1. Unzip the zip file and put mms-fixer.exe in the same folder as the xml files (i.e. SMSBackup\mms-fixer.exe)
    2. Next double click mms-fixer.exe and allow it to run.
    3. Check the mms folder and make sure the new filetype.txt are present

Note: This tool scans all subfolders of the current dir. So if you have multiple *.mms backup folders in this folder, it will fix all of them.
    Note 2: This tool only works for text files and image files. Other media content (e.g. Audio or Video) is not recognized. I'm not sure how common it is to share audio or video files over MMS and if those were even exported previously.

Importing the MMS with SMS Backup v1.1.0
    (as mentioned above, this version is not available yet)

To import the old backup and merge everything nicely you will have to do the following:
    1. Perform a full backup (make sure Backup MMS is ticked), let's call it "Today"
    2. Check if the backup is complete. Is there a Today.xml file? If you had MMS media content, check if there is a folder Today.xml.mms that has subfolders
    3. Next wipe all text messages
    4. Let's assume the old backup was called "Yesterday"
    5. Copy Yesterday.xml and the folder Yesterday.xml.mms to the device
    6. Restore Yesterday.xml (make sure Restore MMS is ticked)
    7. Restore Today.xml (make sure Restore MMS is ticked).
    8. Done!

Note: The reason for this order is that if you would restore Yesterday.xml without removing the current text messages, it might skip the MMS media content (in the case when the text messages that were present in Yesterday.xml had already been imported previously).
    Last edited by falcon4ever; 11-08-13 at 05:35 AM.
    11-06-13 06:36 PM
    Well done! Tricky but you made with what you had (hopefully BB will fix its code soon too to not have to do such acrobatics )
    11-07-13 06:34 AM
    Well done! Tricky but you made with what you had (hopefully BB will fix its code soon too to not have to do such acrobatics )
    Thanks !

- - -

The latest release (v1.1.0) got approved this morning! I've updated the first post with new information, screenshots and a changelog. The announcement can also be found on my website: https://epicwindmill.com/2013/11/08/sms-backup-v1-1-0/

Thanks for the support!
    Last edited by falcon4ever; 11-16-13 at 06:45 AM.
    11-08-13 08:27 AM
    Got it and like it! Merci

Q10 ? OS 10.2.1.575+1792 Radio
    11-08-13 08:31 AM
    Hey all,

I released a small update of SMS Backup (mostly to comply to the Built for BlackBerry user experience standards) but also to add a new feature to export your text message to a CSV file. This will allow you to import your data into Excel and do all kinds of fancy sorting with it. Do note that this is not a backup file and only added for data manipulation/printing.

Should be available today

Changelog for 1.1.1
    - Moved the Help and Info shortcuts to the application menu at the top for a better BB10 user experience (swipe down from the top of the screen to access)
    - Added an option to export text messages to a CSV file that you can view, sort and print in Excel
    - Minor bug fixes
    Omnitech likes this.
    11-15-13 07:57 AM
    Ok so I bought this app tonight and have no clue what I am doing. I backed it up and it said there was 4407 texts on there. Where did these all come from? i hit restore and it said there was a premission error? ok so then i did a backup (full) using blackberry link on my pc, does this mean all the files and texts are now copied onto my pc? also how do i send the cvs to my pc so i can open it in excel? I cant open any of these texts, let alone see them in the hub. OMG i am so confused.. I need to get this sorted out so I can send my blackberry in for software repair. someone please help me I am so not good with all this and feel lost
    11-17-13 10:56 PM
    Ok so I bought this app tonight and have no clue what I am doing. I backed it up and it said there was 4407 texts on there. Where did these all come from? i hit restore and it said there was a premission error? ok so then i did a backup (full) using blackberry link on my pc, does this mean all the files and texts are now copied onto my pc? also how do i send the cvs to my pc so i can open it in excel? I cant open any of these texts, let alone see them in the hub. OMG i am so confused.. I need to get this sorted out so I can send my blackberry in for software repair. someone please help me I am so not good with all this and feel lost
    Hi,

did you follow the instructions and read the included help section before creating a backup (swipe down to open up the menu)?

To create a backup, you will need to switch to the backup panel. In most cases the default options are fine (Backup MMS and Verify being checked) but for convenience you can also select the zip & email option to send it to yourself (and keep a backup in your mailbox).
    After hitting the "Create Backup" option the app will ask you to specify a location and a filename for the backup (e.g. Mybackup.xml). After hitting save, it will start exporting your messages. If it said there were 4407 text messages, you apparently had them stored on the device... When it has written all messages to the backup file, it will either show a screen like attached below (telling you what files to backup from the device to your computer) or it will launch the email application if you selected zip&email (third case would be a file verification fail but that shouldn't happen normally).

After creating the backup, you aren't suppose to use the restore function on the same device. You should only use that option on your new device. The app does check for duplicates so it should be rather fail safe if you used it by accident.

The export CSV option is just an additional way to get your data and view it in excel, it is by no means a way to backup your messages.

All these files (backup + csv) can be copied to your computer by using the usb cable and mounting the device.

BlackBerry Link could be used as an alternative to backup your data although I don't have any experience with that. If mounting the device is too much of a hassle I would suggest using the zip&email function in the backup section.
    Attached Thumbnails SMS Backup - Backup and Restore Text Messages-img_00000012.png  
    11-18-13 06:06 AM
198 ... 34567 ...