01-21-18 09:14 AM
200 ... 23456 ...
tools
    You seem to have fixed conversation mode, but it looks like the conversation is not really linked to the contact.

I lost my text messages after the 10.1 MR update and restored a backup with your great app. The conversations are showing, but they are not linked to a contact. No contact picture is showing and i cant link the conversation to another contact. Could you have a look,what is causing this problem.

Thanks in advance
    Dear hhuber2001,

thanks for your feedback!

I did indeed set a different flag that sorta fixes the conversation mode (which at least displays it better than previously). I will continue to work on getting it to link properly so that the contact picture will show up as well.
    08-24-13 08:53 AM
    Dear falcon4ever,

sorry, looks like I spoke to soon. After one day of use and one reboot. Text conversations are correctly linked to their respective contacs and are showing contact pictures.

Thanks again for your great app. Definitely worth ist money.
    falcon4ever likes this.
    08-25-13 10:01 AM
    Dear falcon4ever,

sorry, looks like I spoke to soon. After one day of use and one reboot. Text conversations are correctly linked to their respective contacs and are showing contact pictures.

Thanks again for your great app. Definitely worth ist money.
    Ah ok, thanks for letting me know!

It could be that 10.1 has changed how contacts are automatically being linked based on the phone number. One thing I also noticed in 10.1 is that in the Text Message overview, contacts now have a tags like (Home) and (Mobile). The app does not set this tag at all so it must be something that BlackBerry has changed in the OS itself.
    08-25-13 10:17 AM
    In looking through the saved MMS data (which is more than a bit strange because apparently SMS Backup can create a 'backup' of this info but has no way to restore it - making the concept of 'backup' in that case sort of an academic exercise), I noticed that there does not appear to be any information in those files that identify which entity sent which message.

Certainly "conversation mode" will be hard to re-create on restore if the saved messages themselves do not contain information about which participant sent which message.
    falcon4ever likes this.
    08-25-13 06:23 PM
    In looking through the saved MMS data (which is more than a bit strange because apparently SMS Backup can create a 'backup' of this info but has no way to restore it - making the concept of 'backup' in that case sort of an academic exercise), I noticed that there does not appear to be any information in those files that identify which entity sent which message.

Certainly "conversation mode" will be hard to re-create on restore if the saved messages themselves do not contain information about which participant sent which message.
    *cough* In my defense, it is still a beta feature *cough*

Thanks for letting me know Omnitech!

*edit*
    Actually, I took another look at my code, and I think it is ok. By default I export all message to the XML file and if there is additional data available (i.e. MMS attachment), I dump that into a directory that matches the same timestamp/phonenumber. If the MMS is image only, I think there will still be an entry in there but the body-tag would just be empty.

So knowing that, on import I need to compare the timestamp/phonenumber of the stored data (xml file) with the folder names and I should be able to figure out who sent what.
    Last edited by falcon4ever; 08-25-13 at 06:40 PM.
    08-25-13 06:28 PM
    *cough* In my defence, it is still a beta feature *cough*

Thanks for letting me know Omnitech!

stupid stupid stupid... me

"Stupid you"??? Wha?

Yep, it is a beta feature. But given that I am now getting a lot of MMS messages from one particular important friend who has taken a liking to sending little pics with their text messages.. not being able to restore those in the event of loss (always a possibility when playing with leaked OS's) is now a bigger deal to me than it once was. (It used to only be once in a blue moon that I'd get an MMS message)

One thing I should also mention that I never got around to posting about - the one major incident where SMS Backup was critically important to me was when I installed leaked OS 10.1.0.4543 on a Verizon Z10 that had been previously been running the stock OS at the time (10.0.9.422 / 10.0.9.2743), and then restoring the BB Link backup. Got the infamous SMS loss problem.

SMS Backup more-or-less successfully restored the messages in that case, but I did end up with a number of duplicates. (Not duplicates of every message, perhaps something like 20% of them.)

This could have been an OS issue, because I have noted a number of people who experienced SMS loss after a similiar update to something in the 10.1.0.4xxx series, later had all or most of their SMS messages "mysteriously return". So I think it had to do with something about a corrupted file or database file that the OS was able to read later on. (Reputedly the original issue was precipitated by the fact that BlackBerry moved the filesystem location of the databases for certain things - ie SMS messages - but didn't have a robust mechanism to re-target that after an update.)
    08-25-13 06:43 PM
    Yep, it is a beta feature. But given that I am now getting a lot of MMS messages from one particular important friend who has taken a liking to sending little pics with their text messages.. not being able to restore those in the event of loss (always a possibility when playing with leaked OS's) is now a bigger deal to me than it once was. (It used to only be once in a blue moon that I'd get an MMS message)
    Although I'll be traveling the upcoming weeks (and will have less time to code), MMS import is the most important feature I want to focus on for the next release. I have obtained a test dataset so I should be able to figure it out.

One thing I should also mention that I never got around to posting about - the one major incident where SMS Backup was critically important to me was when I installed leaked OS 10.1.0.4543 on a Verizon Z10 that had been previously been running the stock OS at the time (10.0.9.422 / 10.0.9.2743), and then restoring the BB Link backup. Got the infamous SMS loss problem.
    Glad to hear that the app was a lifesaver here.

Yea, still not sure what went wrong with those OS updates, I don't think BlackBerry ever put out a press release or anything to remedy the situation (and one would assume that BB Link would be a reliable solution...)

SMS Backup more-or-less successfully restored the messages in that case, but I did end up with a number of duplicates. (Not duplicates of every message, perhaps something like 20% of them.)

This could have been an OS issue, because I have noted a number of people who experienced SMS loss after a similiar update to something in the 10.1.0.4xxx series, later had all or most of their SMS messages "mysteriously return". So I think it had to do with something about a corrupted file or database file that the OS was able to read later on. (Reputedly the original issue was precipitated by the fact that BlackBerry moved the filesystem location of the databases for certain things - ie SMS messages - but didn't have a robust mechanism to re-target that after an update.)
    I'm not quite sure why there are duplicates of certain messages, my only guess is that the duplicate check failed on some of them. I currently check and compare the timestamp + body content of each message.

A quick way to get rid of those duplicates would be to do a quick export, wipe and import. If the duplicates are still there, we should probably check the xml file to see if maybe the timestamp is different or if the body contains certain additional characters that causes the check to fail.
    08-25-13 07:15 PM
    Hi falcon4ever,

It looks like the contact link is broken in OS 10.2. The pictures don't show up in the text message. When I click the contact, it asks me to link it to a new contact. I try to, but it will not work.

I've tried a couple of reboots (which worked for 10.1), but it's still not working.

I know OS 10.2 is not officially out yet, so you might not be able to fix it immediately, but I just wanted to let you know.
    Thanks.
    08-25-13 09:14 PM
    (and one would assume that BB Link would be a reliable solution...)

One would certainly hope that it would be a reliable solution - but anyone with any actual experience with it (including contact with other people who use it), would know by now that it's not something to rely upon. Unfortunately.

Though for people who are having issues with Link not properly communicating with their PC, xsacha's "Sachesi" tool has backup/restore functionality which mimics the way BlackBerry Link works (including reading/writing BB Link compatible files), with the exception of USB communication. Link uses a complicated sort of network emulation to communicate, which often ends up nonfunctional due to things like personal firewalls and so on, whereas Sachesi just communicates via their own USB driver, which can circumvent that. So that option is useful too. (What it can't help with is the simplistic BB10 backup mechanism that doesn't provide much control over what data gets backed-up/restored)
    08-26-13 11:01 AM
    Hi falcon4ever,

It looks like the contact link is broken in OS 10.2. The pictures don't show up in the text message. When I click the contact, it asks me to link it to a new contact. I try to, but it will not work.

I've tried a couple of reboots (which worked for 10.1), but it's still not working.

I know OS 10.2 is not officially out yet, so you might not be able to fix it immediately, but I just wanted to let you know.
    Thanks.
    I installed 10.2.0.1371 the other day and restored my text messages with SMS Backup. At first the contacts weren't connected, but after one day and one reboot (just like on 10.1) the OS seemed to correctly associate the text messages with the contacs (contact picture included). Give it another day an they might show up.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by hhuber2001; 08-27-13 at 04:29 PM.
    08-26-13 03:04 PM
    Still a no go for me.. 10.2.0.1323
    08-28-13 10:08 PM
    A couple versions ago auto-generated backup filename was missed. Please fix it
    cooliosam likes this.
    08-29-13 07:01 AM

Yep when he gave people the option to set their own filename and path, he removed the auto-generated filename, which was handy.

Unlike most auto-generated filenames, it used a similiar kind of datestamp convention that I do when I name files, so it was one of the FEW auto-filename features I actually didn't feel the need to constantly override.
    cooliosam likes this.
    08-29-13 05:37 PM
    I also miss the auto-gen filename.
    08-30-13 01:39 PM
    Any future functionality to combine backup files? I have my original backup file, but the contacts weren't linking. So I deleted everything and am starting "fresh."

When the linking gets fixed, I'm wondering if I can combine the new backup with the original backup.
    08-30-13 03:37 PM
    Hi,

is there any way to transfer from an iPhone?

Thanks.
    Fabio.
    08-30-13 04:32 PM
    Is there a way to access (read, print) the SMS conversations from a PC ?
    08-31-13 04:34 AM
    Is there a way to access (read, print) the SMS conversations from a PC ?

The format this app saves in is XML, so you should be able to view those files with a web browser. (Just tried it: works peachy. )

Bear in mind, SMS Backup support for MMS is pre-beta at this point so you probably won't be able to see the non-text parts. It saves some of those components in the "*.xml.mms" folders, but the content is not linked to the text messages themselves yet.
    09-06-13 07:01 PM
    The format this app saves in is XML, so you should be able to view those files with a web browser. (Just tried it: works peachy. )
    Which browser did you test? I just tried IE9 in Windows7 and all I get is a blank screen ...
    09-12-13 06:11 PM
    Which browser did you test? I just tried IE9 in Windows7 and all I get is a blank screen ...

Opera 12.16.

What is interesting is I just tried IE9 (both 32 and 64 bit) on Win7 and it works fine. So does Firefox 17 stable (ie "ESR" version).

Make sure you are opening the XML files and not the folders. The default folder naming of the MMS data is confusing, they might appear to have an XML extension depending on how you are viewing them, and the MMS folders have almost the same name as the SMS XML data. I made that mistake myself when I tried opening it with Firefox the first time.
    09-13-13 06:53 PM
    Hi I am on 10.1.0.4181 from the get go. I used device switch to bring my contacts from my android phone. And then I used SMS Backup and Restore to do the back up of my sms on android. Now I got your app and restored and the text messages are all there it seems but they are not linking to the contacts. I rebooted multiple times and I tried manually linking but it doesn't work. What can I do?

It did import 8114 sms... I don't know if that can be at issue.

Edit: I have many a lot of duplicates where it could have been cause by having to numberz for the same contact such as +1XXXYYYZZZZ and XXX-YYY-ZZZZ. For one such contact i deteleted the +1XXXYYYZZZZ and then sent the text message to the XXX-YYY-ZZZZ number and it did link the contact to the person. But then after a while the picture is gone for that thread. There is another person where I reply from one duplicate thread and their reply comes in the other conversation thread. Don't know what to do. I hope I won't have to backup and then manually edit the xml and then restore.
    Last edited by vipernig; 09-25-13 at 06:51 PM.
    09-25-13 03:54 PM
    Hi I am on 10.1.0.4181 from the get go. I used device switch to bring my contacts from my android phone. And then I used SMS Backup and Restore to do the back up of my sms on android. Now I got your app and restored and the text messages are all there it seems but they are not linking to the contacts. I rebooted multiple times and I tried manually linking but it doesn't work. What can I do?

It did import 8114 sms... I don't know if that can be at issue.

Edit: I have many a lot of duplicates where it could have been cause by having to numberz for the same contact such as +1XXXYYYZZZZ and XXX-YYY-ZZZZ. For one such contact i deteleted the +1XXXYYYZZZZ and then sent the text message to the XXX-YYY-ZZZZ number and it did link the contact to the person. But then after a while the picture is gone for that thread. There is another person where I reply from one duplicate thread and their reply comes in the other conversation thread. Don't know what to do. I hope I won't have to backup and then manually edit the xml and then restore.

If you're using a GSM device or anything that uses a SIM card, your previous device may have copied all or some of your contacts to the SIM card, and they may show up as duplicates.

In your Contacts app settings, you can enable/disable "SIM Card Contacts". Does disabling that help?
    09-25-13 09:17 PM
    No I do not have contacts on my sim. I went ahead and exported the my SMSs with the ones that i had sent from Q10. And then I deleted all conversations from phone and then made sure my contacts were clean with no +1 and duplicate numbers. I proceeded to reimport the SMSs and now they are all nicely threaded, no duplicate conversations. I did edit the xml to remove the numbers with +1. But same problem, the SMSs are not linked to contacts. If i go from my contact and send a message, all previous messages appear and then you see the persons pic and everything. But if I click on the pic, it brings me to the contact and then on the activity it doesn't show that I sent the sms. But if I go back to the hub or and then come back to the message, they become unlinked again. Or if within contacts I do back back and then come back to that contact and press text the number, the conversation thread is gone. If I do message, the thread comes back.

So either there is something missing in the importing process like flags or maybe it is because I have a lot of messages and the q10 is rebuilding a database or it is some other bug.

Edit: Yup there is something definitely wrong. Because if I keep the contact tile open after sending the sms and having all the previous ones appear, when I go select the Text tile and go to that same conversation the contact does not appear. So there are two instances of conversations... I don't know this is beyond me without QNX Momentics... is it what they use for debugging?
    09-25-13 10:05 PM
    Still no news on the "canot restore MMS" bug front?
    09-26-13 08:38 AM
    Well I retried the exercise all over again and by this time adding +1 before the number to all numbers in the xml files. The result is the same. Exect this time I had a couple of SMS going back and forth between a contact. So when I exported, edited xml and imported back this is what happened. For the contact that had those conversations going, the app skipped them but in the hub there are 2 conversation threads. The latest that show on the contacts and the old messages that do not. And again for that contact when I text from the thread that is not linked the replies arrive in the linked thread.

This has to be fixed or solved. This is the first app that I have ever bought.

Posted via CB10 from my Q10. WOOT
    09-26-13 12:49 PM
200 ... 23456 ...