Hi
    Do you have supoort for hebrew?
    Rafi
    06-25-13 03:07 PM
    Hi
    Do you have supoort for hebrew?
    Rafi
    Hi Kapunka,

SMS Backup stores and reads the data in UTF8 format. I just tested it out and it seems to work fine for Hebrew (I copied and paste the text from some website so hope it makes sense...)
    Attached Thumbnails SMS Backup - Backup and Restore Text Messages-2013-06-25-22.39.57.jpg  
    06-25-13 03:41 PM
    thank you for your quick reply
    the first word dont make sense but the second word is ok.

within 2 weeks I am expecting my new BB.
    I have more han 25000 sms to transfer in hebrew.
    After I will do it I will let you know if it works
    Thanks
    Rafi
    06-25-13 11:15 PM
    I can confirm that it work fine with hebrew.
    I imported over 5000 sms from android to bb10
    Omnitech likes this.
    07-03-13 09:14 AM
    I can confirm that it work fine with hebrew.
    I imported over 5000 sms from android to bb10
    Thanks for letting us know! The largest backup that we've restored is 100.000 text messages although that really slows down the device .
    07-03-13 11:54 AM
    Interesting app, could make transfers or leaks easier to tolerate

Just purchased, thanks

Posted via CB10 on my sweet Z10
    07-05-13 03:24 PM
    help please.

Either i'm doing something wrong or i'm slow but i cant figure out how to restore my message.

When i choose restore it asks me to select a backup file which i do. then it wants me to select a file within that file and so on till it gets to a single message and i cant even restore that. ?????
    07-10-13 04:44 PM
    help please.

Either i'm doing something wrong or i'm slow but i cant figure out how to restore my message.

When i choose restore it asks me to select a backup file which i do. then it wants me to select a file within that file and so on till it gets to a single message and i cant even restore that. ?????
    Not quite sure whats happening there, can you double check that you've enabled ALL permissions?

Go to Settings > Security and Privacy > Application Permissions > SMS Backup

It should look like this:
    SMS Backup - Backup and Restore Text Messages-img_00000052.jpg
    07-11-13 06:57 AM
    Can the XML file be opened on a PC to view the messages?

I need to print out some text conversations.

Thanks!
    07-11-13 09:46 AM
    help please.

I noticed that it creates an XML file in the folder you specify to save to, and also an additional folder hierarchy under that which appears to contain various components of individual MMS messages.

I don't know if specifying the XML file in the root of the backup folder restores those MMS messages or not (in addition to the SMS messages), but if you're navigating through the MMS message folders you won't find any XML files there that you can initiate a restore from.
    07-11-13 02:00 PM
    Can the XML file be opened on a PC to view the messages?

I need to print out some text conversations.

Thanks!
    The XML backup file is just a plain text file that can be opened in most (advanced) text editors (i.e. Notepad++/Ultraedit)

The alternative would be viewing it in your browser.
    To do so you can try to do the following steps:
    - Copy the XML backup file from your device to a temporary folder on your computer
    - Unzip xsl.zip from this message and place the sms.xsl in the same folder as the XML file.
    - Open up your XML file with a text editor such as wordpad or notepad++
    - At the top you will see two lines (and a bunch of entries):

Current:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <smses count="883">
    Add one line to make it look like this:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="sms.xsl"?>
    <smses count="883">
    - Save the file and close the text editor.
    - Next open up the XML file in Internet Explorer/Firefox and it should show a table with entries that you should be able to print.
    Attached Files
    wu-wei likes this.
    07-11-13 02:47 PM
    Great app, just needs an option to change the default folder directory to sdcard and the mms restore and it will be complete.
    bazjeepers likes this.
    07-31-13 04:55 PM
    Great app, just needs an option to change the default folder directory to sdcard and the mms restore and it will be complete.
    Thanks for your kind comments!

It is certainly on my TODO list to let the user select the export forlder for the backup file. I can't promise yet when the next release will be ready but I am aiming for late summer (currently occupied with a few other mobile game projects).

The current todo list is:
    - Allow user to pick export folder
    - Implement MMS import mode
    - Add XSL file by default (see my previous post) by default on export for easier viewing in the browser
    - Fix conversation mode (attaching threads to contacts on phone). Currently talking to BlackBerry on how to get this done.

Seems like switching between OS updates (even official ones) isn't always safe: Losing your text messages on the 10.1 MR? You're not alone | CrackBerry.com

Always do a full backup (it just takes a few secs), better safe than sorry!
    bazjeepers likes this.
    08-01-13 06:42 AM
    Seems like switching between OS updates (even official ones) isn't always safe: Losing your text messages on the 10.1 MR? You're not alone | CrackBerry.com

Some have said that recent OS changes, ie with the 10.1.0.4xxx series and above, have moved the location of certain system databases, ie for SMS.

I would think that could be a problem for an app like yours too. So I assume that rather than reading/writing directly to/from the SMS databases, you are doing something more like using some sort of API like "ReadSMS" or "WriteSMS" or similar?
    08-01-13 02:46 PM
    Some have said that recent OS changes, ie with the 10.1.0.4xxx series and above, have moved the location of certain system databases, ie for SMS.

I would think that could be a problem for an app like yours too. So I assume that rather than reading/writing directly to/from the SMS databases, you are doing something more like using some sort of API like "ReadSMS" or "WriteSMS" or similar?
    Hi Omnitech,

I'm not able to verify those claims but then again, I'm not reading the database from the filesystem but using the BlackBerry 10 Native SDK APIs directly (which don't really change a lot between versions).

My own device (BlackBerry Z10 STL100-2 on Vodafone NL) got updated on Tuesday to the latest version: 10.1.0.4181.

I just tested the app by doing a quick:
    - backup
    - wipe all
    - restore

and it seems to be all fine with the current release of SMS Backup.
    08-01-13 03:29 PM
    Ok, my laptop is dead lol so...

My phone, specifically anything to do with data, has been serve lagging since the 10.1 update via Verizon.

So here are my questions:
    1. How can I fix this?
    2. What programs/apps can I download to backup all my data so I can try a factory reset?

On my BlackBerry 9930 there was the device switch option to back on my SD Card, but this one on the BlackBerry Z10 has ti have computer connection.

I know many of you are geniuses when it comes to BlackBerry lol so any advice is appreciated .

I'm not new to blackberry, in fact I've been a hard core user for over 5 years just never did any tech stuff to it.

Thank you all in advance!

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 04:11 PM
    Ok, my laptop is dead lol so...

My phone, specifically anything to do with data, has been serve lagging since the 10.1 update via Verizon.

So here are my questions:
    1. How can I fix this?
    2. What programs/apps can I download to backup all my data so I can try a factory reset?

On my BlackBerry 9930 there was the device switch option to back on my SD Card, but this one on the BlackBerry Z10 has ti have computer connection.

I know many of you are geniuses when it comes to BlackBerry lol so any advice is appreciated .

I'm not new to blackberry, in fact I've been a hard core user for over 5 years just never did any tech stuff to it.

Thank you all in advance!

Posted via CB10
    Welcome BerryLoca,

About your questions:

(1) Lag
    Honestly, I don't know, my best guess would be doing a full factory reset. A bit time consuming but at least you know you'll be working with a 'clean' device. The device shouldn't lag so if it still lags after a full factory reset, I'd take it back to the store and let them check it.

(2) Full Backup
    As the author of the app and being a former Android user, here is my take on it (BB Pros should feel free to correct me ;P).

When I switch phones this is what I do:

SMS(text messages)/MMS
    - On device backup: Use SMS Backup (my biased opinion: It is reliable/quick, it uses an open format that the user can modify, and allows you to switch from BB10 to Android and vice versa)
    - Using a desktop/Tethered: Use BB Link on your desktop (Made by Blackberry so one would assume it works right? I haven't used it personally)

Audio/Photos/Videos
    - Connect your device and backup those media files manually

E-Mail / Contacts / Calendar
    - I'm using Gmail so all my e-mail, contacts and calendar appointments are all stored in the cloud.
    - I believe BBLink will backup your contacts/calendar but you have to check to be sure ( http://us.blackberry.com/software/de...erry-link.html )

You should also check this: http://us.blackberry.com/support/tra.../personal.html
    08-01-13 04:29 PM
    But how can I do this without a computer?

There use to be an option to do a full backup in setting called Device Switch but now even that requires a computer.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 04:37 PM
    But how can I do this without a computer?

There use to be an option to do a full backup in setting called Device Switch but now even that requires a computer.

Other than possibly the former BlackBerry Protect app/service, I am not aware of any other cloud service that claims to backup "all" your device data and restore it to another device. BlackBerry tools for "device switch", as far as I know, always used a desktop computer tool. (ie PC or Mac) Today that tool is called BlackBerry Link, previously it was called BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

If all you are concerned about is "PIM data" (ie contacts, emails, calendar items) then some people use an online groupware service like Office 365 to synchronize all those things (ie "copy them to the cloud") and then when you get your new or replacement device you can just resync that data back to your handheld device.

Note well: Originally BlackBerry 10 supported only 30 days of historical items on-device using a syncing protocol, so don't expect to synchronize "everything" unless you have one of the recent OS versions that allows synchronizing content older than 30 days.
    08-01-13 08:18 PM
    Great app. Saved me from worrying about updating to the new leaks. Any possibility the app can backup texts, and auto email it? Similar to what textbasket did in bb7? I liked being able to read all the backed up texts in my gmail. Saving it to a file is great but I find it extremely handy to search through emails for a particular text than it is to search through the contents of all those xml files.

For reference.
    TextBasket
    08-04-13 11:32 AM
    Great app. Saved me from worrying about updating to the new leaks. Any possibility the app can backup texts, and auto email it? Similar to what textbasket did in bb7? I liked being able to read all the backed up texts in my gmail. Saving it to a file is great but I find it extremely handy to search through emails for a particular text than it is to search through the contents of all those xml files.

For reference.
    TextBasket
    Thanks Setasai!

I'm not familiar with textbasket but that seems to be a handy feature (gmail sync in general too) so I'll put it on my list of possible features to add in future.
    Last edited by falcon4ever; 08-04-13 at 01:07 PM.
    08-04-13 12:50 PM
    Hey all,

just a small heads up. Worked a bit on SMS Backup today to make it a bit more feature complete.

Changelog for 1.0.7
    - User can now pick any location for the backup file, both internal and external memory (SD Card)
    - Added a XSL stylesheet file for easier viewing in the browser (supported by Internet Explorer and Firefox)
    - Fixed conversation mode. (Fixes the issue in this screenshot -> contact/conversation issue)

After upgrading please do a quick re-import by following these steps:
    - Backup all text messages
    - Use the delete button to wipe all text messages
    - Restore your text messages
    I just submitted this release this afternoon to BlackBerry AppWorld for approval so it should be showing up early this week.

The re-import is needed to fix that issue where threads would be created in 'compose' mode instead of showing the contact at the top. I've only briefly tested it but so far new messages are nicely added to the conversation

*edit*
    AAaannnddd it got approved this morning and should be live now
    Last edited by falcon4ever; 08-05-13 at 02:38 AM.
    08-04-13 12:57 PM
    Pretty great app man. Thanks alot!!
    falcon4ever likes this.
    08-11-13 08:29 PM
    Pretty great app man. Thanks alot!!
    Thanks! Glad you like it

Just released another maintenance update:
    Changelog for 1.0.8
    - Improved error handling on import
    - Added fix for rare import issue with "Substitute character"
    That last error caused the importer to bail early in some cases. I've now added better feedback on errors and when it detects the "Subsitute character" (looks like an arrow -> in a text editor) in the backup file, it will try to fix the file (by making a new copy and removing that character).

Basically, if you had exported 1000 messages but only 600 got imported, you should use the new version with the old backup file to import the remaining 400.
    Last edited by falcon4ever; 08-13-13 at 10:01 AM.
    08-13-13 09:50 AM
    You seem to have fixed conversation mode, but it looks like the conversation is not really linked to the contact.

I lost my text messages after the 10.1 MR update and restored a backup with your great app. The conversations are showing, but they are not linked to a contact. No contact picture is showing and i cant link the conversation to another contact. Could you have a look,what is causing this problem.

Thanks in advance
    falcon4ever likes this.
    08-23-13 06:41 AM
199 12345 ...