06-23-17 10:27 AM
199 1234 ...
tools
    Hello,
    Sorry for my english but I'm a french BlackBerry 10 user. I just want to know if data stored in XML export are UTF-8 encoded or other encoding specifications (due to special charaters in french like "" or "").
    Thanks for your answer.
    Salut TTMan et bienvenue dans la communaut CrackBerry !
    je vais suivre ce thread et traduire si ncessaire, mais ton anglais me semble tout fait la hauteur !
    Je ne suis pas qualifi pour rpondre ta question, par contre.
    Si tu as des difficults de "traduction", hop, un petit MP; n'hsite pas !

Superfly_FR (du neuf deux lol)
    pkcable and Omnitech like this.
    05-22-13 01:22 PM
    Thank you! I understand more when reading english than writing ;-)
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    05-22-13 01:50 PM
    I'm having just one issue with this app. When i restore sms from android and i click on one sms. It shows create new message and there is a name with phone number. But when i send it i cant connect this sms conversation with my contacts (ie no photo shown)
    05-25-13 03:49 AM
    Hello,
    Sorry for my english but I'm a french BlackBerry 10 user. I just want to know if data stored in XML export are UTF-8 encoded or other encoding specifications (due to special charaters in french like "" or "").
    Thanks for your answer.
    Hi TTMan73,

your English is fine and to answer your question:
    Yes the data exported in the XML uses UTF8 encoding and works fine with characters as "" or "" (we use them in the Dutch language as well).

I haven't however tried any Asian or Arabic languages so I'm not sure if it works properly for those.

Salut TTMan et bienvenue dans la communaut CrackBerry !
    je vais suivre ce thread et traduire si ncessaire, mais ton anglais me semble tout fait la hauteur !
    Je ne suis pas qualifi pour rpondre ta question, par contre.
    Si tu as des difficults de "traduction", hop, un petit MP; n'hsite pas !

Superfly_FR (du neuf deux lol)
    Je ne comprend pas!

Which reminds me, perhaps I should look into localization for upcoming releases

I'm having just one issue with this app. When i restore sms from android and i click on one sms. It shows create new message and there is a name with phone number. But when i send it i cant connect this sms conversation with my contacts (ie no photo shown)
    Hi p00l,

thanks for reporting this issue. Currently the imported text messages aren't linked to the contacts. I'm currently looking into this to fix it for the next release.
    Attached Thumbnails SMS Backup - Backup and Restore Text Messages-smsbackup.jpg  
    Last edited by falcon4ever; 05-25-13 at 07:46 AM.
    Superfly_FR and p00l like this.
    05-25-13 07:33 AM

Hi p00l,

thanks for reporting this issue. Currently the imported text messages aren't linked to the contacts. I'm currently looking into this to fix it for the next release.
    Wow, thanks for you fast reply. I would like to have that feature . I'm looking forward to seeing your new update

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 01:39 PM
    Good day Falcon!

Just a few questions needing your clarification before buying this App:
    1) if your App support sending the SMS/MMS to an email folder (Like SMS backup + in Android) as this is extremely useful to preserve SMS on a live basis instead of merely exporting.
    2) If your App support multilingual ?
    3) if you plan to include Call Log backup in future
    4) if you plan to include BBM backup in future

Thanks!

Domino
    05-25-13 06:53 PM
    Quick question, if I have a backup from Android will it be able to restore?
    05-25-13 11:37 PM
    Good day Falcon!

Just a few questions needing your clarification before buying this App:
    1) if your App support sending the SMS/MMS to an email folder (Like SMS backup + in Android) as this is extremely useful to preserve SMS on a live basis instead of merely exporting.
    2) If your App support multilingual ?
    3) if you plan to include Call Log backup in future
    4) if you plan to include BBM backup in future

Thanks!

Domino
    Hey,

1. I will see if that's possible for future versions. I was actually hoping that the latest update of the OS would support background services as I had many other emails of users asking for advanced backup option (like automatic scheduling of backups as well).
    2. Currently the user interface is just in English. The app itself uses UTF8 so it should support special characters (but as mentioned in a few messages above, I havent tested it for Arabic or Asian languages)
    3. Nope
    4. Maybe or in a different app. I mean if it can backup bbm I should probably rename the app

Quick question, if I have a backup from Android will it be able to restore?
    Yes, if you use SMS Backup and Restore for Android, you can use the same xml backup file in this app to restore all your text messages. There is a guide at the bottom of this page: https://epicwindmill.com/sms-backup/
    05-26-13 03:15 AM
    Will I be able to continuously redownload this every time I install a leak??
    05-27-13 11:49 PM
    Will I be able to continuously redownload this every time I install a leak??
    As long as you have Blackberry World access you should be able to redownload the app.
    05-28-13 02:22 AM
    It won't accept my Z10 it says it's not available for download for my device what did I do wrong? I have downloaded the latest software from Verizon would this b the problem? or is there another app to do this type of back up from my droid to the Z10?
    05-30-13 07:01 AM
    It won't accept my Z10 it says it's not available for download for my device what did I do wrong? I have downloaded the latest software from Verizon would this b the problem? or is there another app to do this type of back up from my droid to the Z10?
    Hi ampelectric,

sorry to hear you aren't able to download SMS Backup.

I believe the reason is that I'm targeting 10.0.10 or higher (I'm building the software with version 10.0.10.536) and Verizon is still using 10.0.9. Could you check the software version on your phone and report back? I could remove the restriction on the next release but I'm not sure if a binary that is build with the 10.0.10 sdk runs stable on a 10.0.9 OS.
    05-30-13 07:17 AM
    Hi ampelectric,

I believe the reason is that I'm targeting 10.0.10 or higher (I'm building the software with version 10.0.10.536) and Verizon is still using 10.0.9. Could you check the software version on your phone and report back? I could remove the restriction on the next release but I'm not sure if a binary that is build with the 10.0.10 sdk runs stable on a 10.0.9 OS.
    Yes it is the 10.0.9. how soon can you release it? I need it as soon as you can Thanks for the prompt response
    05-30-13 07:23 AM

I am a Verizon customer as well and they are one of the few major carriers still on 10.0.9.x

The good news is there is a rumor they are on the verge of finally releasing an OS update for the Z10, it could happen as early as tomorrow.

Ironically, I had wanted to do a backup of my text messages before I do that 10.1 update.
    05-30-13 04:01 PM
    Yes it is the 10.0.9. how soon can you release it? I need it as soon as you can Thanks for the prompt response
    Unfortunately I can't tell when the next release will be due to the new features that still need to be implemented. An other issue is that my development Z10LE is currently being swapped so I don't have a device now for testing.
    05-30-13 04:01 PM
    I am a Verizon customer as well and they are one of the few major carriers still on 10.0.9.x

The good news is there is a rumor they are on the verge of finally releasing an OS update for the Z10, it could happen as early as tomorrow.

Ironically, I had wanted to do a backup of my text messages before I do that 10.1 update.
    Well I could bump the version number and not restrict it to 10.0.10.x but just make it available to 10.0.0 and above. I'm just not sure if I will get an avalanche of bug reports of the app crashing.

The only related post on the BB dev forums that I could find is this one... I guess this suggest that the API should be compatible...?
    Re: confused by SDK's IDE's 10.0 vs 10.1 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

If you can sideload, I could try to make a debug build you can try at own risk (it won't wipe, but it might just crash the app) on the 10.0.9 device.
    05-30-13 04:09 PM
    Great App, thanks falcon4ever!

I had someting similar at my schedule, but I'm currently too busy with two other projects.

I have no SMS messages at my Z10, I'm still using my old Nokia N900 as my main device. May you share a example XML file to see how it is structured or do you have a link to a documentation of your XML File?

I would like to write a export filter for my N900 and old Symbians to import my message Attic using your App.

And if I recall correctly, a 10.0.10 binary would segfault at 10.0.9 - I had this once but can't test it currently. A 10.0.9 binary will work at 10.0.10 without problems. Please don't beat me if I'm currently wrong.
    I would suggest to make a OTA update to 10.0.10 as soon as it is available and download the SMS Backup afterwards.
    05-31-13 05:29 PM
    Great App, thanks falcon4ever!

I had someting similar at my schedule, but I'm currently too busy with two other projects.

I have no SMS messages at my Z10, I'm still using my old Nokia N900 as my main device. May you share a example XML file to see how it is structured or do you have a link to a documentation of your XML File?

I would like to write a export filter for my N900 and old Symbians to import my message Attic using your App.

And if I recall correctly, a 10.0.10 binary would segfault at 10.0.9 - I had this once but can't test it currently. A 10.0.9 binary will work at 10.0.10 without problems. Please don't beat me if I'm currently wrong.
    I would suggest to make a OTA update to 10.0.10 as soon as it is available and download the SMS Backup afterwards.
    Hey QtHelex,

I've attached an example backup file (rename it to .xml). Basically I took the format of SMS Backup and Restore (from the Android version) to make it easier to switch between the two.

Currently the XML file contains a lot of fields that are not utilized at this moment but are just there to be compatible with the app "SMS Backup & Restore" for Android. SMS Backup for BB10 only uses the following fields:

address="" <- phone number
    date="" <- timestamp (unix time in milliseconds)
    type="" <- specifies incoming or outgoing. Value 1 is incoming, value 2 is outgoing
    body="" <- actual text message
    contact_name="" <- contact name (or if not available just put in the phonenumber)

All the other fields are just placeholders and filled with null, bogus or no data.

This means that if you have old text messages in a different format and putting them together, all you need to do is add new <sms /> entries and (optionally) update the count value in <smses count="13">

Hope that answers your questions.

About the 10.0.9 vs 10.0.10 thing. Yea this is slightly annoying, the app seems to build with 10.0.9 but no clue if the older SDK has specific bugs that I haven't noticed yet... wish Verizon US would just push out 10.0.10 since those users are missing out a lot... ( BlackBerry 10 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )
    Attached Files
    QtHelex likes this.
    06-02-13 01:45 PM
    About the 10.0.9 vs 10.0.10 thing. Yea this is slightly annoying, the app seems to build with 10.0.9 but no clue if the older SDK has specific bugs that I haven't noticed yet... wish Verizon US would just push out 10.0.10 since those users are missing out a lot... ( BlackBerry 10 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )
    Actually 10.1.0.x.

The rumor is VZW will release 10.1 around 6/6. Hope springs eternal for us eternally "patient" VZW subscribers...

Of course, that doesn't help people that want to back up their SMS database BEFORE the update.

The reason I am more concerned about this is because I had one of the infamous OS self-reboots the other day, right in the middle of receiving an SMS, and when the device restarted it had obviously corrupted the SMS database or flat file for that particular recipient, because all of their messages were missing.

When I sent another message to them, all the previous messages "re-appeared" - I assume because the new message was appended to the existing file, and this time, the file was closed properly and the filesystem now could properly recognize it.
    06-02-13 06:36 PM
    Actually 10.1.0.x.

The rumor is VZW will release 10.1 around 6/6. Hope springs eternal for us eternally "patient" VZW subscribers...

Of course, that doesn't help people that want to back up their SMS database BEFORE the update.

The reason I am more concerned about this is because I had one of the infamous OS self-reboots the other day, right in the middle of receiving an SMS, and when the device restarted it had obviously corrupted the SMS database or flat file for that particular recipient, because all of their messages were missing.

When I sent another message to them, all the previous messages "re-appeared" - I assume because the new message was appended to the existing file, and this time, the file was closed properly and the filesystem now could properly recognize it.
    A small update:
    I just uploaded a new build (1.0.6) to BlackBerry World (currently waiting for approval so give it a few days).

Changelog 1.0.6
    - This new version is build using Native SDK 10.0.9.2743
    - It supports all devices running 10.0.0.0 or higher.
    (Basically should help out all potential Verizon customers that couldn't download it before)
    - Added support for future Q5 owners
    - The only new (experimental) feature is that it now also exports all attachments from any MMS entries in the database. There is no option to import them back yet though (so if you use MMS, keep a backup for a future release that does supports importing them back).
    QtHelex likes this.
    06-03-13 08:15 AM
    A small update:
    I just uploaded a new build (1.0.6) to BlackBerry World (currently waiting for approval so give it a few days).

Thankyou! I will try to keep my eyes out for this when it gets approved. Hopefully before Verizon finally releases 10.1.
    06-03-13 07:04 PM
    Thankyou! I will try to keep my eyes out for this when it gets approved. Hopefully before Verizon finally releases 10.1.
    The new version just got approved so v1.0.6 should now be available for everyone with a BB10 device .
    06-05-13 02:21 PM
    The new version just got approved so v1.0.6 should now be available for everyone with a BB10 device .
    It was available to me this morning - and well-timed too as I decided to install my own home-brewed hybrid OS about an hour later. Thanks for all the support!
    06-05-13 07:09 PM

Fabulous!

Installed 1.0.6.7 on my Verizon device running 10.0.9.422/10.0.9.2743.

Did a backup, result shows backup completed (~500 messages backed up), destination file looks intact.

Once again, big thanks for making the effort to get this out for us Verizon customers on 10.0.9. Will help moderate the stress levels when I'm ready to update that old and creaky OS.
    06-06-13 05:41 AM
    It was available to me this morning - and well-timed too as I decided to install my own home-brewed hybrid OS about an hour later. Thanks for all the support!
    Ah, yea it got approved in the morning but for some reason it didn't show up in my appstore until 8 hours later. Hope the MMS export option works fine for you ! Only tested it with images so far, still have to check if video/audio files work as well...

Fabulous!

Installed 1.0.6.7 on my Verizon device running 10.0.9.422/10.0.9.2743.

Did a backup, result shows backup completed (~500 messages backed up), destination file looks intact.

Once again, big thanks for making the effort to get this out for us Verizon customers on 10.0.9. Will help moderate the stress levels when I'm ready to update that old and creaky OS.
    Thanks for the feedback, glad to hear it runs fine on Verizon devices (and apparently also hybrid OS)!
    06-06-13 06:34 AM
199 1234 ...