Greetings fellow BlackBerry enthusiasts. Team Krungie, the dynamic duo behind the innovative game NeverMaze, is back with another exciting joint production.

Krungie Player is a minimalist audio player designed specifically for spoken content such as audiobooks and podcasts. We listen to them a lot and we wanted a great native Cascades app to do it with on our favourite BlackBerry devices. The recent BlackBerry employee hackathon gave us a great opportunity to fulfill this dream. Seems we did a good job as it was voted one of the coolest apps. :-)

Krungie Player will import your audio files and intelligently respect both tagging and directory structure. It will remember the position of every track in every title. You can easily skip ahead or back to find a favourite part or repeat a section. There are more features as you'd expect but the idea is to let the content do the speaking.

If you're new to audiobooks, what are you waiting for? It's a great way to catch up on good reads. You can find quality free audiobooks at librivox.org and other fine sites.

Krungie Player is available now from BlackBerry World for $2.99. There are no ads or in-app purchases or anything like that: just 100% native Cascades BlackBerry 10 app goodness.

We'd appreciate a review in BB World if you have a moment to do so, it really helps.

As always, hit us up in the comments below if you have any questions or feedback or just want to say hi or share what you're listening to.

Now for the eye candy:

Krungie Player - Native Cascades app for audiobooks and podcasts-kp-splash.png Krungie Player - Native Cascades app for audiobooks and podcasts-kp-import-3.png
    Krungie Player - Native Cascades app for audiobooks and podcasts-kp-library-loading.png Krungie Player - Native Cascades app for audiobooks and podcasts-kp-library-full.png
    Krungie Player - Native Cascades app for audiobooks and podcasts-kp-playing.png Krungie Player - Native Cascades app for audiobooks and podcasts-kp-play-speed.png

Cheers,
    Team Krungie
    Last edited by mlepage; 04-25-14 at 11:19 PM. Reason: clarify wording
    sedat likes this.
    04-25-14 08:24 PM
    Krungie Player looks just like what I have been wanting to listen to downloaded podcasts. The +/- 30 second jumps will be easier than trying to use the slider. Hopefully it won't take long to find a fix for the speed settings. This would be great when listening to slow talkers.

Are there any plans for adding a multiple bookmark feature? It would be nice to be able to bookmark while listening to go back to re-listen later. Hope you will consider.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 09:06 PM
    Hi Bob, thanks for your feedback.

We too hope a fix becomes available for the playback speed settings.

We have certainly talked about bookmarks, we can think of a few other great features too. How much attention we devote to updates will be balanced against some other projects we have in the pipe. :-)

Leave us a review in BB World if you can. Cheers.
    04-25-14 09:40 PM
    Thanks for the answer.
    I'll buy after posting this.
    By the way, also like Never Maze.

Thanks for developing for BB10.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 09:13 AM
    Good luck with your app.
    04-27-14 12:50 AM
    Thanks F2 and Bob.
    04-27-14 09:55 AM
    Good luck with the app!
    Looks very clean, simple and useful

Posted via CB10
    04-27-14 12:26 PM
    Been looking for something like this that will play my podcasts sequentially, and remember where I left off.

Quick question : is there a feature to subscribe to a podcast feed and download directly through the app? I checked out the screenshots but don't see anything.
    04-27-14 01:58 PM
    Thanks eldricho and Sally. The clean design is intentional. To that end, no it does not download any content within the app. With BB10 you can however download files in the browser or using another app, and still use Krungie Player to play them.
    04-27-14 02:46 PM
    Almost forgot, here is a very short video demonstrating the app.
    05-03-14 11:08 AM
    Hey... I bought this app and I like it! One bug that annoys me: When the phone is locked and the player reaches the end of an mp3 file the playback stops and remains stopped until I wake up the screen. I would prefer to have it continue to play! Or better yet have an option to control that behavior.
    08-23-14 04:48 AM
    I am replying to my own comment here because I have not been able to get the attention of the developer yet. Today I decided to try to describe my problem in a review on AppWorld, but the most recent reviewer beat me to it!

Biggest problem: playback seems to stop after the end of each file if the screen is dimmed. Since audiobooks are generally chopped up into a bunch of files, and since the screen auto dims after a couple of minutes, this means you need to activate the screen after each file is played in order to proceed with the book. Makes an otherwise fine app of limited utility. I hope the dev fixes it, because it is fundamentally a solid app.
    Help us, Mr. Developer, your are our only hope!
    09-10-14 02:26 AM
    Just got an email from one of the developers that says they plan "to open source it". I take that to mean they will not be addressing our problems.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 03:06 PM
    Looks like a good app if it indeed working.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-14 06:42 AM
    Looks like a good app if it indeed working.

Posted via CB10
    It works fine as long as your audio book is not broken up into many small files. The one I am listening to now is 170 individual mp3s that are about 6 minutes long each, so the fact that the Krungie Player stops itself at the end of each file when the screen is dimmed is a big problem.

I poked around the Android offerings and loaded up "MortPlayer Audio Books" which is free and works well. I'll probably go back to Krungie when I move on to an audio book with longer individual files.
    09-11-14 08:52 AM
    Krungie Player 2??

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...9948699‎

Over-paying once for this semi-functional app was not enough?

Posted from my Passport
    02-07-15 02:29 PM