UPDATED: there is a new release of EvenSteven coming that will overwrite your ledger data, so before installing it, please be sure that you are EvenSteven with your friend, or email the ledger to yourself.

Now available for all BB10 devices, the simple, free app for keeping track of money lent and borrowed between good friends:

Announcing EvenSteven: keep track of money lent and borrowed with your best friend-image.jpg

Between good friends, sometimes you're not worried about keeping track of money down to the last penny, but you do want to prevent the balance from getting too far out of whack.

Why would you need EvenSteven?

Have you ever phoned your friend while you were out shopping to say "I saw a good deal on that thing you wanted... Do you want me to pick it up for you?"... so you buy it and give it to your friend. Do you stand there and demand immediate repayment? No, because you trust your friend.

A few days later your friend pays you back. A week after that you forgot your friend payed you and you ask "Did you ever pay me back for that thing?" And your friend says he did and you believe him, but you just forgot.

If you and your good friend or Significant Other pass money back and forth, no matter how much you trust one another, it's good to keep track.

Use EvenSteven to record those day to day transactions that can add up. If your friend loans you money, if you're out for a bite to eat and you pick up the tab because you just paid for both for convenience, for any reason, use EvenSteven to record the amount and a reason, and the location is recorded automatically.

The running total is shown at the top of the screen and in the Active Frame.

You can email the ledger at any time: the email includes the Amount, reason, time and date, and location of the transaction (at this time, BB10 Webworks apps don't show the "HTML Email Compose window, so the location links aren't clickable, but as soon as it's possible to do so, a pretty HTML table with clickable location links will be available!)

Once you're "even steven" again, just clear the ledger and start over. Before you ask your friend "Did you pay me back for..." whatever, you can check your EvenSteven ledger or the emails.

It works great on all BB10 devices.

It's free!

The email address for support, to report bugs, suggest features and general customer service is "evensteven" at "thinkqwick.com".

Get it at BlackBerry World!
    Attached Thumbnails Announcing EvenSteven: keep track of money lent and borrowed with your best friend-es_screen.png  
    Last edited by ThinkQwick; 10-14-14 at 11:53 AM.
    rai187, singhvikas101 and MrGlenn like this.
    06-03-14 07:33 AM
    Looks interesting, and even better as its free. Thanks for sharing this.
    06-03-14 07:38 AM
    Looks interesting, and even better as its free. Thanks for sharing this.
    Our first app, and we hope people will find it useful.
    singhvikas101 and MrDoreth like this.
    06-03-14 08:06 AM
    There was an android app that I used to have - Tricount!
    I ll check your app, can i share the accounts with my friends? Over the Application itself? - Like Cloud based accounting or something.

Thanks for this app though
    06-03-14 08:13 AM
    Our first app, and we hope people will find it useful.
    Even better. Thanks for supporting BlackBerry 10!
    06-03-14 08:16 AM
    There was an android app that I used to have - Tricount!
    I ll check your app, can i share the accounts with my friends? Over the Application itself? - Like Cloud based accounting or something.

Thanks for this app though
    The long term plan is to make it NFC enabled so if you and your friend both keep track in EvenSteven, then you can tap your devices together to sync them up. If you and your friend both record a transaction at around the same time, or the same amount, there will be some way to mark transactions as being "the same" and consolidate them.

...but the point of this app isn't "down to the penny" accounting... it's just so you don't forget what you've spent between friends, people you trust! :-) For managing a money lending business, I think something more sophisticated is needed. :-)

Also, there will be a paid version that will allow you to keep track with multiple "friends" (using Tabs, like in the Hub, to choose which friend's ledger you want to view) so you can keep track for more than one friend (the free app will always be limited to one friend, but the sharing by NFC etc. will be included in the free app.) We also want to go cross platform, but there's already an app called Even Steven on iOS (but we came up with this idea long before that app was published, so we're sticking with EvenSteven on BlackBerry! We already have a different app name in mind for iOS and Android)

You can email the ledger (which isn't really "sharing") but that way, once you clear the local ledger at least you and your friend will have a record of the transactions.

If you have any other ideas or feature requests, post them here, and I'll be happy to respond.
    singhvikas101 likes this.
    06-03-14 08:26 AM
    An update to EvenSteven was submitted to BlackBerry World today: the two changes are:
    - the ledger entry form is now a "modal" dialog that overlays the ledger, and doesn't require the user to scroll parts of the form into view
    - version number added to the top of the "info" page.

Hopefully you'll be notified by the BlackBerry World app when the update is available.
    06-13-14 09:07 PM
    When testing the new build on the Simulator running as both Q10 and as Z10, everything worked great... but after downloading the update from BlackBerry World, the "onKeyboardOpened" event is causing a loop that can't be resolved... so... EvenSteven has been pulled from BlackBerry World until we receive notification that the update is available. The code that relies on the "onKeyboardOpened" event has been removed entirely, so the issue should not reoccur.

Our apologies to anyone who upgraded before the app was removed from BBW.
    06-16-14 01:35 PM
    Build 19 was approved in BlackBerry World today: This version resolves the bug with the endless "onKeyboardOpened" error loop. Thanks for your patience.
    06-17-14 12:15 PM
    Not available for my device
    Its a Z10 STL-100.
    06-20-14 05:18 AM
    Not available for my device
    Its a Z10 STL-100.
    It should work on all devices, but is only available in English, so restricted to english-speaking countries for now. Also, the OS requirement is for 10.2.1: it is likely it would work, but since we don't have a test device with the lower OS version, we felt it was prudent to post the app for the tested OS. If you update your OS it should be available to you. Please let us know what region your in and we could add your region to the list where it will be available.
    06-20-14 05:12 PM
    It should work on all devices, but is only available in English, so restricted to english-speaking countries for now. Also, the OS requirement is for 10.2.1: it is likely it would work, but since we don't have a test device with the lower OS version, we felt it was prudent to post the app for the tested OS. If you update your OS it should be available to you. Please let us know what region your in and we could add your region to the list where it will be available.
    I'm in India, and have the required update! Appreciate your efforts

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 04:31 AM
    I'm in India, and have the required update! Appreciate your efforts
    We've added a whole bunch more countries to the "available regions" list, including India, but it's still only in English for now: we're working on the internationalization code now, so we should be able to localize it for non-English users very soon.

The request for additional regions was just done on the 29th of June, so it might not be available from the BlackBerry World store for a day or so.
    06-29-14 07:41 PM
    We've added a whole bunch more countries to the "available regions" list, including India, but it's still only in English for now: we're working on the internationalization code now, so we should be able to localize it for non-English users very soon.

The request for additional regions was just done on the 29th of June, so it might not be available from the BlackBerry World store for a day or so.
    Very Prompt! Good to know, i ll check and let you know
    06-30-14 07:22 AM
    Cool, I could get it on BB World; Its great but I am a bit more demanding
    Some suggestions -
    More than one account needed (I have many friends from whom I borrow :P)
    Group Accounts (Like I can have an account for a trip or vacation or with my Paying guests where people in the account are more than one)
    More currencies (it doesnt matter for me as of now i am using workaround - ignore currencies and just count the figure)

Would like to see this app growing!
    Once again, nice app! Thanks
    07-01-14 07:38 AM
    We have a favour to ask of those of you who speak other languages in addition to English.

We're trying to internationalize the app but have to take different phrasing and sentence structures into account.

In English, the app has phrases like

--------------
    You owe YOURFRIEND $20

YOURFRIEND owes you $20

We're EvenSteven!

You gave $20

You got $20

For dinner at Gino's
    ----------

We'd appreciate as many non-english translations of the above phrases so we could make sure that as many as possible are supported.

Thanks in advance for any contributions! For sure there's a free "paid version" in it for anyone who can suggest how those phrases would be translated.

EDIT: one of our staff suggested "just use Google Translate"... but you know how iffy those automated translation services can be, even for phrases so simple. Unfortunately some phrases (using "give" and "got") don't have direct verb translations, and it's hard to know which is the 'friendly' / 'informal' vs. 'formal' version (the app is designed to use the "friendly" tone). Using Translate, we've confirmed that for most "European" languages (German, Italian, French, English, Portuguese, Spanish) so far there aren't any languages that put some part of the sentence AFTER the currency / amount, which makes software development easier: but that's probably not true for all languages, so if you know of any languages that rearrange the position of the sentence fragment BOLDED words above relative to the non-bolded words, those are the ones we need to know about right away.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by ThinkQwick; 07-10-14 at 04:09 PM.
    07-08-14 09:46 PM
    If you see an update to EvenSteven in the BlackBerry World store, be sure to even up with your friend and email the ledger. The new version of EvenSteven uses a new data format that will overwrite your current ledger data.
    MrDoreth likes this.
    10-14-14 11:54 AM
    Special promotion for EvenSteven posted in a separate topic... we hope that all current EvenSteven "free" version users will take the opportunity to get their free upgrade!
    10-29-14 02:22 PM